Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

PoizenJam posted:

I predict it will drag, because hurting Warren/Sanders is in the interest of both party's establishment arms.

Wouldn't hurting Warren and Sanders be indirectly helping Biden? Who do they hate more here?

Stickman posted:

https://twitter.com/lisamurkowski/status/1223317119233941506

Her reasoning is slightly different than Rubio's: "The country is too divided, better let the president crime!"

That'll surely heal the nation.

"We are sadly at a low point of division in this country. (And it's our fault.)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

th3t00t posted:

Aren’t lawyers bound by ethics laws that make it illegal for them to lie on behalf of their clients?

Like, you get disbarred and go to jail for using a defense that you know is a lie

ah you sweet summer child

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Xaiter posted:

I want to point this out.

I've had a few arguments outside my apartment with folks about the House supeonas while on weed smoke break. And every time I mention:

"The White House is literally arguging Absolute Immunity. They cannot be investigated or prosecuted for any crime, they cannot be compelled to turn over any evidence. They are literally arguging US v. Nixon should be overturned."

They look at me like I'm lying. "That's not true."

When I hand them my phone with the court transcript where the judge literally goes:

Judge: "So, you're arguging US v. Nixon was decided incorrectly and should be overturned?"
WH Defense: *sheepishly* "Y-Yes. That is the the defense's position."

I get a few of reactions. Either:

1. "This is fake/out of context"
2. "I disagree, but they should go through the courts anyway"
3. "I agree, the House is being partisan and their requests are not legit."

There is no hope for these people. They literally are Fascists, they just won't admit it. Most of them.

Can I have that link

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

mcmagic posted:

They need to acquit by Tuesday so Dear Leader can have his SOTU victory lap.

How convenient that the Iowa primary is Monday.

Framboise posted:

Wouldn't hurting Warren and Sanders be indirectly helping Biden? Who do they hate more here?

Sure. But Sanders polls better against Trump than Biden, and he has more radical ideas that the GOP/Dem establishment might be particularly fearful of given the possibility of a wave election.

Besides, the GOP already has their talking points and lines of attack on Biden.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I sincerely hope that as soon as this trial ends, a new impeachment is sent up. The population wants to hear from witnesses, so it’s clear it has support.

I don’t think the Senators remember how 2018 went - it’s going to be a bloodbath. Especially if it’s Bernie, they’re going to get ratfucked the day he’s sworn in.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Let's not get into weird hypotheticals about how this affects Iowa or who the GOP hates the most in the primary -- you're welcome to talk about that in the primary thread.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Sorry- there's obviously a bit of overlap between the two so I didn't think it outside the scope of the present thread.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Stickman posted:

https://twitter.com/lisamurkowski/status/1223317119233941506

Her reasoning is slightly different than Rubio's: "The country is too divided, better let the president crime!"

That'll surely heal the nation.

Scrolled through the comments and didn’t see one response in support of her decision. If only she was up for re-election this year

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

th3t00t posted:

So Bolton just implicated Cippollone as a co-conspirator in the Ukraine scheme?

Aren’t lawyers bound by ethics laws that make it illegal for them to lie on behalf of their clients? Or allow their co-counsel to lie on behalf of their client in their defense?

Like, you get disbarred and go to jail for using a defense that you know is a lie because the evidence has been withheld? That’s how this is supposed to work, why are people not freaking out about this?
When the President's lawyer does it, that means it is not illegal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PoizenJam posted:

Sorry- there's obviously a bit of overlap between the two so I didn't think it outside the scope of the present thread.

No worries, just want to head off the "which primary candidate is better against trump" discussion before it starts.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Was Murkowski the one who said she's voting in favor of Kavanaugh to help women feel safe or something gaslighty like that? I was fully expecting whoever that was to go 'we need to bring the president to task for his corruption, and to do that we need to hear from all those present for his actions. as such I'm voting against allowing witnesses and furthermore to make Trump God Emperor of Earth forever'

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Was Murkowski the one who said she's voting in favor of Kavanaugh to help women feel safe or something gaslighty like that? I was fully expecting whoever that was to go 'we need to bring the president to task for his corruption, and to do that we need to hear from all those present for his actions. as such I'm voting against allowing witnesses and furthermore to make Trump God Emperor of Earth forever'

Murkowski voted against Kavanaugh.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That was Collins want it?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It's mindblowing that the guy who finally slid the US into dictatorship was that guy people have been making fun of since the 80's for being a ridiculous blowhard.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Djarum posted:

It comes down to a couple of things, first off the Trump team and in turn the GOP know much of what Bolton is going say and it will not be good for any of them. For example him being questioned about things and him saying to Cipollone that he knows because he was there as well. The next big thing is it would open up the need to question other people; Pompeo, Mulvaney, Barr, etc. Trump would either continue his obstruction with the Senate or they would come and testify which if they tell the truth it can be damning if they lie enough people have testified otherwise that they would be caught in perjury.

They are going to vote to acquit Trump and then walk over to the SOTU, I am calling it now. Trump will then spend two hours howling on National Television on every network about he is completely innocent and how the Democrats are awful. If I were planning strategy for the Democrats I would have every member just openly protest his speech with some sort of grand gesture; walking out, sitting turned away from him, etc.

they shouldnt even show up including pelosi

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
If they don't boycott the SOTU, they're feckless cowards (hint: they'll all show up)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Murkowski voted against Kavanaugh.

Looking it up, I think I was thinking of Collins.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

Scrolled through the comments and didn’t see one response in support of her decision. If only she was up for re-election this year

Unfortunately, Alaska has always been a divided bathtub curve of nutbars and it's worse now that ever (I say this lovingly about my home state). I'm not really holding out hope that she couldn't pass the election threshold regardless of what she does. Alaska's other Senate seat went from a Democrat to an establishment Republican (who had barely ever lived in the state!) by 2%.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

too bad more of these republican senators don't ride around in helicopters

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stickman posted:

Unfortunately, Alaska has always been a divided bathtub curve of nutbars and it's worse now that ever, and I say this lovingly about my home state. I'm not really holding out hope that she couldn't pass the election threshold regardless of what she does. Alaska's other Senate seat went from a Democrat to an establishment Republican (who had barely ever lived in the state!) by 2%.

and, unfortunately, Murkowski was the one who lost her primary then somehow won a Senate seat through write-ins, which makes her as close to invincible as i can imagine

the big targets are Collins, Gardner, Tillis, McSally, and the two Georgia seats, in roughly that order I think

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Since the Republican argument is that the President is above reproach, cannot break any laws since they are not beholden to them so long as they benefit US policy; Why aren't the Democrats mentioning the next Democratic president arresting or drone striking all Republican senators and presidential hopefuls for the sake of national security?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

th3t00t posted:

Aren’t lawyers bound by ethics laws that make it illegal for them to lie on behalf of their clients? Or allow their co-counsel to lie on behalf of their client in their defense?

I mean, aside from the obvious 'lol lawyers am I right' jokes, this would be a very bad thing if it was true

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I sincerely hope that as soon as this trial ends, a new impeachment is sent up. The population wants to hear from witnesses, so it’s clear it has support.

I'm fairly confident that would make a bunch of "seinsible" "fair-minded" "moderates" mad at Democrats, so it won't happen.

The House should absolutely continue having hearings, though, but they won't move the needle much unless they get Bolton to testify, in which case they might.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DandyLion posted:

Since the Republican argument is that the President is above reproach, cannot break any laws since they are not beholden to them so long as they benefit US policy; Why aren't the Democrats mentioning the next Democratic president arresting or drone striking all Republican senators and presidential hopefuls for the sake of national security?

Because if a D president started doing that their party and their voters would turn on them in 3 seconds. If a R president did that, their party and voters would hold drone watching parties.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, aside from the obvious 'lol lawyers am I right' jokes, this would be a very bad thing if it was true

yeah lawyers are "bound" by ethics rules not laws and, the more famous and politically connected you are, the more likely they are to effectively be a joke (see: Dershowitz, Alan)

traditionally, the two rules that Actually Matter are (1) don't sleep with your clients and (2) don't co-mingle funds. everything else is pretty debateable

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 31, 2020

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

mcmagic posted:

Because if a D president started doing that their party and their voters would turn on them in 3 seconds. If a R president did that, their party and voters would hold drone watching parties.

Not before a Republicanless Senate rams through a 300% Liberal court packing!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

eke out posted:

and, unfortunately, Murkowski was the one who lost her primary then somehow won a Senate seat through write-ins, which makes her as close to invincible as i can imagine

Yeah winning a statewide write-in campaign with a name like "Murkowski" means you're gonna die in office.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Look its a plane.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 31, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jaxyon posted:

It's mindblowing that the guy who finally slid the US into dictatorship was that guy people have been making fun of since the 80's for being a ridiculous blowhard.

The people behind The Apprentice have much to answer for.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Until we find out a year from now that thr election was super hosed with, but oops, is it REALLY in our best interest to remove him from office? Oh darn...if only there was SOMETHING we could do.....

This is the scariest part. There's no constitutional remedy remaining now for a blatantly stolen election / suspension of elections altogether. All that remains is the streets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

it whips so much rear end that the dude who for literal decades has been a GLOBAL joke about being a dumb blowhard loser is the guy who made america's fascism overt.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

this is frustrating with so much gaslighting. The republicans were given every option to call witnesses and they chose to try to break the whistleblower protections. This is hosed. The worst part in all of this is that they will never be held accountable for their lies.

The callers are so freaking stupid. There is no helping them.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

ManBoyChef posted:

this is frustrating with so much gaslighting. The republicans were given every option to call witnesses and they chose to try to break the whistleblower protections. This is hosed. The worst part in all of this is that they will never be held accountable for their lies.

My dude, remember that C-SPAN callers are all super old out of work people who eat up every lie Fox news throws out. They aren't a good representation of the vast majority of America so don't let their stupidity get you down.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ManBoyChef posted:

LOL I was listening to the NPR piece on Iowa voters going into work.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I love the Rubio excuse. “Yes he did it and it’s impeachable but not removable.” The ultimate hedge against criticisms from hellworld a few years down the line.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wang posted:

My dude, remember that C-SPAN callers are all super old out of work people who eat up every lie Fox news throws out. They aren't a good representation of the vast majority of America so don't let their stupidity get you down.

Given the number of "life-long Democrats" who have been calling in defending Trump, I don't think they're random crazy people.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

th3t00t posted:

So Bolton just implicated Cippollone as a co-conspirator in the Ukraine scheme?

Like, you get disbarred and go to jail for using a defense that you know is a lie because the evidence has been withheld? That’s how this is supposed to work, why are people not freaking out about this?

What is “known” to be a lie is defined very narrowly in this context which is why lawyers say false poo poo all the time.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Deteriorata posted:

Given the number of "life-long Democrats" who have been calling in defending Trump, I don't think they're random crazy people.

They're so old that they were democrats when the parties used to be the opposite of what they are today.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wang posted:

They're so old that they were democrats when the parties used to be the opposite of what they are today.

They're deliberate plants spreading Republican propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ManBoyChef posted:

they may. its called getting loving destroyed in November.