Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Old Picard leaving his vineyard and asking old TNG characters to trust his crazy story and join him on one final mission would have just been a retread of All Good Things. I get why they’re going with a crew of new characters. It also keeps the focus on Picard himself instead of returning to the familiar TNG ensemble.

True, but I kinda feel like we're getting the exact same scenes of All Good Things but with characters Picard knows but we don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I want to see Worf so bad, at least give us one cameo. Dorn would still look the part and he owns the character so hard, it would probably feel like we hadn't missed a beat. But I guess Klingons are gross slimy monsters now? The Klingons have had a tough few hundred years.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The Picard and Ro show writes itself so easily it's insane they didn't do it, unless they tried and Forbes turned them down again.

Everything about her character and their relationship is relevant to the themes of the show.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just can't wait until Picard gets that matte black Defiant-class ship and renames it the Enterprise for the mission, it's gonna be hella sick

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Season 2 is going to have Guinan so chances are it and subsequent seasons will have more returning characters from TNG.

Chill your fuckin nacelles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If they never mentioned any TNG crew people would be like "why isn't he even trying to hook up with his old crew" so they went ahead and dealt with it

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not that I think i will EVER come up (though with (minor cast spoiler that has been in the previews) Seven of Nine in the show there's a chance):
But what does "no artificial life forms in the Federation" mean in terms of The Doctor?

He's obviously unique when it comes to holograms (as far as we know) thanks to the mobile emitter. No other hologram has the freedom he does, though at this point it seems it would be trivial to install holo emitters basically everywhere on Earth and in every Starfellt ship.

It's also shown that apparently all of his model of EMH (and, if we're lucky, all of the Andy Dick models) were basically made into slave labor in dilithium mines (seriously, WTF? Why not just...keep them off and delete the programs?) Though then there's the one scene at the end of "Author, Author" where the EMH slaves are all passing around the holonovel The Doctor wrote, so maybe there was a EMH slave revolt?

That seems to sort of be the same thing we saw of that brief scene on Mars with regards to the androids. There was a room full of de-activated androids, and it looks like they activated them on on as-needed basis to perform task XYZ, literally the same as a non-sentient robot. Sort of seems pointless...like, Maddox and his team spend ll this time to replicate Dr.Soong's ability to create SENTIENT artificial life with full AI, emotions, etc... and they then proceed to, seemingly, not take advantage of any of that.

I don't know where I'm going with this other than I just want to see Robert Picardo play The Doctor again.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Brawnfire posted:

I just can't wait until Picard gets that matte black Defiant-class ship and renames it the Enterprise for the mission, it's gonna be hella sick

I loved that book as an 11 year old. :smith: I was a stupid boy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ro may be dead by this point. The Jem’Hadar wiped out the Maquis to the last man.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Picard calling up Vash and her being like “holy poo poo, what a weird call to receive from an ex boyfriend I haven’t spoken to in 25 years” would have been pretty funny

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ro may be dead by this point. The Jem’Hadar wiped out the Maquis to the last man.

She is no man.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Brawnfire posted:

Those books were kinda awesome when I was ten.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NZAmoeba posted:

Romulan speculation: So if Data's daughters are twins, you know who else were twins? Romulus and Remus... I'm guessing it's more that the "first Romulan" was a synthetic life, but because they're organic they can reproduce like normal meat.

The actual shameful truth that the Zach Vash have been trying to suppress about them:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard: “Do you ever go into room 1443?”

Chirpy Starfleet Desk Guy: “Yes admiral, I sometimes take my lunches there.”

Picard: “I once blew up a guy’s head in there.”

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not that I think i will EVER come up (though with (minor cast spoiler that has been in the previews) Seven of Nine in the show there's a chance):
But what does "no artificial life forms in the Federation" mean in terms of The Doctor?

He's obviously unique when it comes to holograms (as far as we know) thanks to the mobile emitter. No other hologram has the freedom he does, though at this point it seems it would be trivial to install holo emitters basically everywhere on Earth and in every Starfellt ship.

It's also shown that apparently all of his model of EMH (and, if we're lucky, all of the Andy Dick models) were basically made into slave labor in dilithium mines (seriously, WTF? Why not just...keep them off and delete the programs?) Though then there's the one scene at the end of "Author, Author" where the EMH slaves are all passing around the holonovel The Doctor wrote, so maybe there was a EMH slave revolt?

That seems to sort of be the same thing we saw of that brief scene on Mars with regards to the androids. There was a room full of de-activated androids, and it looks like they activated them on on as-needed basis to perform task XYZ, literally the same as a non-sentient robot. Sort of seems pointless...like, Maddox and his team spend ll this time to replicate Dr.Soong's ability to create SENTIENT artificial life with full AI, emotions, etc... and they then proceed to, seemingly, not take advantage of any of that.

I don't know where I'm going with this other than I just want to see Robert Picardo play The Doctor again.

The Federation routinely abuses sapient AI though. They're just usually not in an human body outside a few holograms. So them learning to make androids and using them as disposable laborers is pretty much on target for them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The actual shameful truth that the Zach Vash have been trying to suppress about them:

The Romulan Star Empire will never be served again

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just FYI my daughter found my old toy TOS communicator and calls it her "space phone". I taught her to say "one to beam up."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
[reads five pages of people nattering about swearing in Star Trek]

Meanwhile, I’m sitting around waiting for the inevitable Q episode of Picard to be called “gently caress Q”.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why Jean-Luc, you wound me!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait.

Oh no.

Can it be?

Something about a terrible secret. Something about robots.

Is the Romulan super secret police protecting the Terrible Secret of Space?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you ready for the terrible secret of space?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is the Romulan super secret police protecting the Terrible Secret of Space?

I think that's pushing it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

The LDS was correct and all those inter dimensional omnipotent galactic superbeings were just super pious Moromons. The Crystalline Entity was Brigham Young. Kevin Uxbridge was Kevin Uxbridge but he was born in Independence Missouri in 1842.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

The LDS was correct and all those inter dimensional omnipotent galactic superbeings were just super pious Moromons. The Crystalline Entity was Brigham Young. Kevin Uxbridge was Kevin Uxbridge but he was born in Independence Missouri in 1842.

Battlestar Galactica already did Mormons in Space... twice now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Tribble secret of space

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Katra is just an usb stick they insert up your rear end.

Also, if ST PIC is a loving BSG restart then Im okay with it!
It's the first thing I thought when the robot revolution turned out to have been kicked off by a robbut called 'Fate' (F8). All of this has happened before, and will happen again. There is no fate but what we make.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Little known fact: ST and BSG take place in the same universe. See my 2 hour Youtube doc click like and subscribe

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Delthalaz posted:

Little known fact: ST and BSG take place in the same universe. See my 2 hour Youtube doc click like and subscribe

Dont forget to hit the bell so you dont miss out on my next videos about how transformers are legit in ST 'verse!

TheCenturion posted:

It's the first thing I thought when the robot revolution turned out to have been kicked off by a robbut called 'Fate' (F8). All of this has happened before, and will happen again. There is no fate but what we make.

I literally just finished watching latest terminator...lmao totally same universe :D

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

zoux posted:

If they never mentioned any TNG crew people would be like "why isn't he even trying to hook up with his old crew" so they went ahead and dealt with it

Yeah and their mention was just about the weakest piece of dialogue written for Sir Patrick so far, so that felt really flat for me. A standard "they're too busy to join up with me, I've already tried" might be cliche as gently caress but at least leaves the door open way wider for future possibilities.

AndyElusive posted:

Season 2 is going to have Guinan so chances are it and subsequent seasons will have more returning characters from TNG.

Chill your fuckin nacelles.

Yeah that's cool but the man is 79 years old and I'm not going to be overly morbid but it's not like they have infinite time to explore all this and it's the first hit of televised post Voyager poo poo we're getting so my patience is at an all time low here. LUDICROUS SPEED, ENGAGE!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Series 1 will end with Picard dying to save Soji in a scene that mirrors the end of Nemesis.

Soji will return to Chateau Picard to bury his combadge in the dirt.

Some random old French man walking past with a wine barrel strapped to his back will stop and say "You there, what's your same?"

"Soji" she'll reply.

"No, what's your full name?"

"Soji... Picard."

end credits

I accidentally just posted that in the Trump impeachment thread. I regret nothing.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 1, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also I got to Relics in my TNG rewatch last night and can I just say there was so much dust in my house that my eyes just kept watering like, the whole time and god damnit why was there so much dust in my house???

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

Series 1 will end with Picard dying to save Soji in a scene that mirrors the end of a Nemesis.

Soji will return to Chateau Picard to bury his combadge in the dirt.

Some random old French man walking past with a wine barrel strapped to his back will stop and say "You there, what's your same?"

"Soji" she'll reply.

"No, what's your full name?"

"Soji... Picard."

end credits

I accidentally just posted that in the Trump impeachment thread. I regret nothing.

We could do so much worse

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Bloop posted:

We could do so much worse

“What unites people? Armies? Gold? Flags?
Profit...
There’s nothing in the world more powerful than a good liquidation. Nothing can stop it. No enemy can defeat it.
And who has a better margin than Brunt the Broker?"

Jk, this is the best outcome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

“What unites people? Armies? Gold? Flags?
Profit...
There’s nothing in the world more powerful than a good liquidation. Nothing can stop it. No enemy can defeat it.
And who has a better margin than Brunt the Broker?"

Jk, this is the best outcome.

Any excuse to get Combs back in a Star Trek, I'll take.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dominion ambassador Weyoun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Khanstant posted:

Ah come on, removing the cuss words, this is still a jarring and discordant change in tone.

Sometimes I want to have a child simply as a vector to continue my lifelong battle against the tyranny of people who make cuss words bad. Going to teach him the cusses and back his rear end up when his teachers give him poo poo for it. We'll cuss our way to the supreme court!

And we all know Dot cusses in every outtake.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Picard appears as a CGI nexus ghost to give Soji advice for the best few seasons to ease the transition though

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

Picard appears as a CGI nexus ghost to give Soji advice for the best few seasons to ease the transition though

Only if they use Bullock soundbites from American Dad.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
What kind of loving world do we live in where STAR TREK somehow has a computer hacking data recovery scene that's less sophisticated and sensible than Zoolander's THE FILES ARE IN THE COMPUTER?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Have.. have you watched any computer centric star trek before?