Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Guigui posted:

If Blizzard came out with a paid dlc that allowed me to view my opponents in their default skins, with bright red emblage, none of the silhouette, and allowed me to tune the colour saturation of the world map down to a more greyish look, (to increase contrast), I would grab it in a heartbeat...

But then, I would just be making the game more like team fortress 2....

You don't want silhouettes? Even TF2 had them as a crucial visual differentiator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

valve cited the unique silhouettes of every character as a big part of their visual design. you look at someone and immediately know what they can do at a glance. they really hosed that up over time with the weapons they added tho

there's also way more cosmetics in that game than in overwatch

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Speaking of silhouettes to this day I still occasionally do a double take on whether I'm facing a Ball in shooter form or a D.Va.

I don't have this issue with any other character in this game.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

SKULL.GIF posted:

You don't want silhouettes? Even TF2 had them as a crucial visual differentiator

The Silhouettes are good, I think I should have meant "outline". I often find I get confused during a fight in a dark alley or area, where with all the particle effects, lighting, custom skin colour can be visually distracting and make it hard to figure out if I am aiming "in" an outline in a close-quarter combat, or outside of it.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 26, 2019

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I barely notice anyone else's skins, the only time I've been confused was when I was just starting out and heard "Get ready for a shock!" and was all :confused:

EDIT: I just got a loot box that had the Sigma Rime skin AND the Hammond Imbibe victory pose in it

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 28, 2019

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hi ive gotten into Overwatch lately and im mid-silver in competitive play can i post here or what

gently caress mei and doomfist

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
So are we just stuck waiting for OW2 before we get anything new now?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they said the game was in stasis or something so yea probably no new characters or maps. I don't think they've done a new holiday event mode in a while either, even if they did fix snowball fight. only balance changes and cosmetics for a long time. I think they've been doing less cosmetics since like summer games too

makes you wonder what the point of playing ow is right now. feels like ow2 is gonna be a year's worth of free updates packaged into what's prob gonna be a $40-60 box. you do get the maps/characters for free in ow even if you don't upgrade, but you also still have to wait like a year or more for ow2 to release to get them

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 31, 2019

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Manatee Cannon posted:

makes you wonder what the point of playing ow is right now.

This. I only play during events now to get the cosmetics. Tried to get back into comp, but role queue ruined that pretty thoroughly, since playing Tank and Support only gets old quickly and gently caress queuing DPS for 10+ minutes only to do it again when someone leaves.

So with nothing to work towards and the lack of new maps or heroes, there is not enough "fun" left in the game after close to 4 years, at least for me - which is fine, I guess?

I just can't help but wonder what the point of OW2 is supposed to be, considering the presumptive release is still well over a year away. My personal experience is that once you drop off a game hard, you don't come back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the point is that they can sell it on the next gen consoles for $60

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

pointlessone posted:

So are we just stuck waiting for OW2 before we get anything new now?

there's at least one new hero coming before OW2

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pattonesque posted:

there's at least one new hero coming before OW2

It'll probably be Echo.

OW2 will launch with Sojourn and a handful of other new heroes.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Lol first post in 2020.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1217522014468001793

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1217596787348795392

Here's all of them:

http://gamewatchtoday.com/blog/2020/01/15/breaking-news-blizzard-leaks-lunar-new-year-2020-skins/

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 16, 2020

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

God drat quote is not edit.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

This doesn't seem to include the best (?) part of the new update

https://twitter.com/BeaverOTP/status/1217905398516191232

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

New Dev Update with some upcoming changes

- Occasional "Experimental" game mode in the non-PTR client for feature/balance testing. More aggresive and more frequent balance changes overall.

- Hero Pools in Competitive mode (and comp only): From week to week some heroes are excluded from the pool to keep the meta from stagnating. Starting with season 21 in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbEagP5ebzY

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Here's a summary of the video: A bunch of stuff that doesn't matter, and an actual important change: Finally being able to sort player icons

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcbexx posted:

New Dev Update with some upcoming changes

- Occasional "Experimental" game mode in the non-PTR client for feature/balance testing. More aggresive and more frequent balance changes overall.

- Hero Pools in Competitive mode (and comp only): From week to week some heroes are excluded from the pool to keep the meta from stagnating. Starting with season 21 in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbEagP5ebzY

I think...I’m gonna play the game again. I love these changes to comp.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I see a lot of stuff I like...but I still see activision...so I can wait.(not like blizzard themselves don't suck at the moment too)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Absolutely loving Jeff's Chaotic Energy :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:hmmyes:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Discourse is a fun forum provider

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Allowing players to choose the bans would increase the toxicity in team chat a 1000% as soon as someone dares suggest a ban outside of "The Meta". Give the playerbase enough control and they'll optimize all the fun out of any game. Fox only, Final Destination, no items.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignis posted:

Absolutely loving Jeff's Chaotic Energy :allears:

It's probably just his evil twin Keff Japlan

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

pointlessone posted:

Allowing players to choose the bans would increase the toxicity in team chat a 1000% as soon as someone dares suggest a ban outside of "The Meta". Give the playerbase enough control and they'll optimize all the fun out of any game. Fox only, Final Destination, no items.

I 100% agree with this. I just feel uneasy about what heroes are going to face bans and how it'll affect lower ELOs.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
No heroes will "face bans" because it's just going to be a rotating pool which heroes get disabled for a given week, which is completely out of control of the playerbase. IN THEORY, every hero will be equally affected.

Edit: I didn't actually watch the video so maybe I'm wrong and they'll be targeting certain heroes and ignoring others. I'm just talking out of my rear end!

Edit 2: I watched the video, and it sounds like hero pools are a manual thing, not an automated thing. So yeah, some heroes will definitely end up disabled more often than others :rip:

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 1, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Funny thing will be that there's probably going to be some heroes who get banned a lot(shield heroes, sniper heroes), and then there's one's that will probably never get the ban like Torb

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dick Burglar posted:

No heroes will "face bans" because it's just going to be a rotating pool which heroes get disabled for a given week, which is completely out of control of the playerbase. IN THEORY, every hero will be equally affected.

Edit: I didn't actually watch the video so maybe I'm wrong and they'll be targeting certain heroes and ignoring others. I'm just talking out of my rear end!

Edit 2: I watched the video, and it sounds like hero pools are a manual thing, not an automated thing. So yeah, some heroes will definitely end up disabled more often than others :rip:

It’s a random selection from the most played heroes of the week

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

drrockso20 posted:

Funny thing will be that there's probably going to be some heroes who get banned a lot(shield heroes, sniper heroes), and then there's one's that will probably never get the ban like Torb

You say that like it's a bad thing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This one is a huge mood

megane
Jun 20, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Week 1 bans: Widow, Hanzo
Week 2 bans: Widow, Hanzo
Week 3 bans: Widow, Hanzo
Week 4 bans: Widow, Hanzo
Week 5 bans: Widow, Hanzo
Week 6 bans: Widow, Hanzo

After that, the sequence repeats

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
So with Overwatch League kicking off again, but this time on Youtube, how the gently caress do you get tokens?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

you don't get tokens and there's no league pass thing for watching individual POVs, at least for now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they've mentioned wanting to do drops but yea nothing for now

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
Cool so no reason to watch outside of lacking background noise. Outside of charity I don't spend money on skins.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Moving OWL to YouTube was a good idea.
Everytime a big fight with lots of action is happening, it just freezes for 3-5 seconds. Adds a level of suspense not previously available on Twitch.

But hey, still 80k+ viewers, despite the lack of TOKENS.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Moving OWL to YouTube was a good idea.
Everytime a big fight with lots of action is happening, it just freezes for 3-5 seconds. Adds a level of suspense not previously available on Twitch.

But hey, still 80k+ viewers, despite the lack of TOKENS.

80k is terrible for opening weekend compared to last year. 80k was boring tier teams and midweek.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hobbesmaster posted:

80k is terrible for opening weekend compared to last year. 80k was boring tier teams and midweek.

I feel like Blizzard didn't really advertise/market the 2020 season all that great, especially wrt the platform switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

teagone posted:

I feel like Blizzard didn't really advertise/market the 2020 season all that great, especially wrt the platform switch.

The official account tweeted me that the matches were starting sometime into the second map of the second match I was attending and I think this is a microcosm of how they’ve handled 2020 so far.