Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Senator Hirono kicking rear end:

"(Trump) is an unhinged, lawless person. He lies every single day."

"We are witnessing the coronation of Trump as King with Mitch McConnell holding the crown and the Republicans holding the train."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Deteriorata posted:

They're deliberate plants spreading Republican propaganda.

This is a bit misleading.

They could very well be Russian plants. Distinctions are important (except in this case when they're two sides/same coin).

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
trump either wins the next election or files so many lawsuits he gets to stay in office another 4 years because we don't want the will of the minority to be over ridden by the tyranny of the majority.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DandyLion posted:

This is a bit misleading.

They could very well be Russian plants. Distinctions are important (except in this case when they're two sides/same coin).

it's 100% more likely they're just some freak from the state RNC office and not some Russian psy-op, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So "Ok YEAH, he did it, and YEAH it was a crime, and YEAH it was impeachable, but meehhhh we just don't wanna do anything about it"

is the position now?

Cool cool

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Apparently this morning, Parnas and his lawyers delivered a letter to Senator McConnell laying out exactly what he would testify about if he was called. The letter's on Bondy's twitter in full.

https://twitter.com/josephabondy/status/1223331368618418176

It is... pretty specific.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Data Graham posted:

So "Ok YEAH, he did it, and YEAH it was a crime, and YEAH it was impeachable, but meehhhh we just don't wanna do anything about it"

is the position now?

Cool cool

It's basically "Yeah, he did it, but it would be really bad for the country if we held him accountable"

It lines up pretty well with their voters, who mostly know he did something wrong, but still don't want him to be removed because that would mean they lost.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's really dumb that's what they're going with because it just pisses every one off. Trump's people will accept nothing less than slavish deference, and no one's going to applaud their courage for saying thing bad while doing nothing about the bad thing.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Data Graham posted:

is the position now?

Cool cool

People been saying in USPOL for years that the trajectory of the GOP would go:

1) He didn't do it
2) Fine, he did it, but it's not a crime
3) Fine, he did it, and it's a crime, but who cares?

We are solidly into part 3 now.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Philbin arguing that the House rushed the process, which is bad, therefore the Senate should rush the process, which is good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ignoranus posted:

Apparently this morning, Parnas and his lawyers delivered a letter to Senator McConnell laying out exactly what he would testify about if he was called. The letter's on Bondy's twitter in full.

That seems to be gone

Nm

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

That seems to be gone

Nah it's still there. Twitter is acting up a little bit right now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Didn't Sekulow have the opportunity to cross-examine everyone but they refused to come to the House investigation sessions?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Sekulow trying to make the case against witnesses by pointing out how valuable cross-examining them would be.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Ignoranus posted:

Would love for the house managers to read this out loud

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kloaked00 posted:

Would love for the house managers to read this out loud

I want somebody who's in the room to just print a bunch of copies and start throwing them around the chamber.

Edit: If I was a senator I absolutely would have a tantrum on the Senate floor today. Kicking and screaming and everything.

The thought of shouting into John Roberts' face until he has me removed. Ah that's the stuff.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

People been saying in USPOL for years that the trajectory of the GOP would go:

1) He didn't do it
2) Fine, he did it, but it's not a crime
3) Fine, he did it, and it's a crime, but who cares?

We are solidly into part 3 now.

This new wrinkle of "yeah it's a crime but it's not a BAD crime" and "ok yeah it's a BAD crime but not so bad that we think anything should be done about it" is taking me some time to come to grips with. So from now on we can describe any kind of behavior short of .... okay you know what, I was going to say "literal treason" as being Presidential behavior, but honestly I'm having difficulty thinking of a form of treason that they wouldn't be able to find a way to rationalize.

At least the acquittal statement will necessarily be absolutely clear about this line of "reasoning" and won't say he's getting off due to lack of evidence. For whatever that's worth.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Jaxyon posted:

Can I have that link

Yes. But also no. Here it is.

But it has a paywall because our government likes to charge us money to read court transcripts. Cost me :10bux:, goddamnit. :argh:

I'm not sure if I'm allow to redistribute this transcript because I paid for it, despite it being public record. Does any know if that's allowed? If so, I'll toss it on my server and post a link.

Anyway, The section in question is this wonderful exchange, starting at the end of Page 88:

THE LITERAL TRANSCRIPT posted:

THE COURT: Well, let me ask, was, in the Department's view, former Chief Judge Sirica wrong to disclose the Watergate roadmap to the House for purposes of its impeachment proceeding?

MS. SHAPIRO: It's impossible to say today that in 1974 --

THE COURT: Why not? Why -- why -- is it the Department's view now that former Chief Judge Sirica's decision to disclose the Watergate roadmap to the House impeachment inquiry for former President Richard Nixon as wrongly decided?

MS. SHAPIRO: Well, I think we would say --

THE COURT: Can you answer that question yes or no?

MS. SHAPIRO: Yes, I can. The answer would be that if that same case came today, a different result would obtain; but that doesn't mean that as the law stood in 1974 that he was wrong. In 1974 he could well have been relying on the ambiguities surrounding inherent authority, surrounding all of these --

THE COURT: He didn't rely on inherent authority. He relied on 6(e) --

MS. SHAPIRO: Well, he relied on both.

THE COURT: -- and the judicial proceeding exception --

MS. SHAPIRO: Yes. Relied on both.

THE COURT: -- and policy reasons --

MS. SHAPIRO: Correct.

THE COURT: -- which he thought made it reasonable to interpret 6(e) in the way that he was.

MS. SHAPIRO: Correct. And I believe that if that same situation were presented today that he would not be able to do the same thing absent a provision of Rule 6(e) or a statute that permitted it.

THE COURT: Wow. Okay

Usually there's audio available. And it's usually free. But not in this case for some reason.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

lol Sekulow arguing that due process demands that the Senate spend weeks questioning witnesses...therefore there should be no witnesses.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thom12255 posted:

Didn't Sekulow have the opportunity to cross-examine everyone but they refused to come to the House investigation sessions?

They've already argued several times that it's the House's fault for failing to do things they successfully obstructed, what's one more?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SubG posted:

lol Sekulow arguing that due process demands that the Senate spend weeks questioning witnesses...therefore there should be no witnesses.

I'm glad I'm not Adam Schiff. That's the point at which I jump over the railing and try to throttle him with my bare hands.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xaiter posted:

But it has a paywall because our government likes to charge us money to read court transcripts. Cost me :10bux:, goddamnit. :argh:

I'm not sure if I'm allow to redistribute this transcript because I paid for it, despite it being public record. Does any know if that's allowed? If so, I'll toss it on my server and post a link.

Anyway, The section in question is this wonderful exchange, starting at the end of Page 88:

Usually there's audio available. And it's usually free. But not in this case for some reason.

and yeah you can host and share PACER documents (archiving and sharing them for free is RECAP's whole deal)

it's probably already available and free on recap somewhere: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
House Of Cards option:
Dem Sens vote for witnesses; motion fails... call for vote to acquit, all Dem Sens leave the building and protest together. Trump is acquitted, and a full two news cycles play 'both sides' on whether or not the result actually exonerates Trump (while right wing media attacks the dems for dereliction of duty in service of partisanship or some such).

West Wing option:
'The People' stand with the dem sens, and the chief justice walks out of the trial to join them. The News Cycle declares the whole process corrupt, and protests rise puerto rico style demanding the senators and president resign.

reality: house has to decide, based on the outcome, whether to take another shot and essentially 'DDoS' the senate with impeachments until the election - or to just 'move on', and focus on winning in November (most likely)

Still /possible/ that some unexpected 'yes' vote extends the trial and brings bolton in to testify, but I ain't gunna believe that 'til the vote has happened. And almost certain that more details of criminal activity, implicating a larger and larger set of people (who we already know to be involved) come out every day for some time.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
It is so sad listening to Schiff waste all this oratory on a group that isn't even listening. It's also sad that none of these House Managers are following Nadler's lead from the first day and just laying out that the Senate Republicans are a bunch of corrupt bootlickers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You guys watching this after we already know that witnesses are getting voted down and he's getting acquitted are masochists.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I know he's a corporatist but Schiff seems to be a drat good attorney. I have really enjoyed hearing him argue this case.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Schiff reading that retired VA republican senator's statement now lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You know Schiff thinks this whole impeachment stuff is going to get him a senate seat.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1223313204106973184

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Woah, what a take Hayes. The calculus is unreal.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

This new wrinkle of "yeah it's a crime but it's not a BAD crime" and "ok yeah it's a BAD crime but not so bad that we think anything should be done about it" is taking me some time to come to grips with. So from now on we can describe any kind of behavior short of .... okay you know what, I was going to say "literal treason" as being Presidential behavior, but honestly I'm having difficulty thinking of a form of treason that they wouldn't be able to find a way to rationalize.

At least the acquittal statement will necessarily be absolutely clear about this line of "reasoning" and won't say he's getting off due to lack of evidence. For whatever that's worth.

Presidents by definition cannot commit treason because they believe they're doing something in the national interest. That's the principle, and it can be pretty easily applied.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Presidents by definition cannot commit treason because they believe they're doing something in the national interest. That's the principle, and it can be pretty easily applied.

Next headline.

Trump gives classified nuclear, military secrets to Russia.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Meridian posted:

Woah, what a take Hayes. The calculus is unreal.

I said the exact same thing in the other thread LOL

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm sorry was there something anyone could do about John Roberts if he doesn't choose to look clean?

Because I'm pretty sure that motherfucker is the most untouchable one of the lot.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Djarum posted:

Next headline.

Trump gives classified nuclear, military secrets to Russia.

He already leaked classified Israeli info to Russia. (That didn't seem to bring about any pro-Israel outrage... funny how that works.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mdemone posted:

I'm sorry was there something anyone could do about John Roberts if he doesn't choose to look clean?

Because I'm pretty sure that motherfucker is the most untouchable one of the lot.

They know their majority on the court is illegitimate and will have to be dealt with sooner or later. It's all a public opinion game.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

but honestly I'm having difficulty thinking of a form of treason that they wouldn't be able to find a way to rationalize.

the kind where a democrat does it.

We need to stop trying to figure out how their minds work. Their minds don't work. They are nihilists.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

mdemone posted:

He could be impeached for abusing his power for political gain.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

KodiakRS posted:

He could be impeached for abusing his power for political gain.

OK, you got me, I laughed pretty hard at this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Yeah imagine if a judge allowed witnesses in a trial