Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Zaa Boogie posted:

I mean, you're not getting Doom 64 with it if you preorder at midnight instead of 11:59:59 so there's that.

So on a whim I was watching and saw that there were 'Cheat Code' pickups. I didn't think I could get more hype and yet here we are.

I want to type idspispopd in game and be able to walk through walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

One thing I'm really looking forward to is finding all the musical quotes and references in Mick Gordon's soundtrack.

I was listening to The Only Thing They Fear Is You on the drive home today and I'm positive that the bit in the beginning is referencing Untitled:

The Only Thing They Fear Is You:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akx48dLnccQ

Untitled/Mouth for War:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_6ChXTP9TA

0:37 is Into Sandy's City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhCNx-8Qos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akx48dLnccQ&t=36s

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The more I listen to the leaked soundtrack, the more it fits into my experience of Doom 2. The Doom 1 soundtrack blew me away back then, the Doom 2 soundtrack though? It didn't do the same to me when I first experienced it, but the more I played Doom 2, the more I liked a lot of the pieces. It's actually quite similar to my overall classic Doom 2 experience. While I loved (nearly) every Doom 1 map, I couldn't get into Doom 2 that easily back then. The first map alone left me totally unimpressed. But the longer I played, the more "hidden gems" were revealed.

I still rank Doom 1 quite a lot higher than Doom 2 in that regard, and reading "Masters of Doom" sheds quite some light on why Doom 2 became what it was. I absolutely love it, though there are maps where I think "argh, let's get it over with".

I have a similar feeling with the leaked soundtrack. It doesn't blow me away like the 2016 soundtrack did, but the more I listen to it, the more I appreciate that it's not "the same thing again", but something different, in a similar tone.

From what I saw of the game until now, I expect the very same. A similar experience to Doom 2016, but different. I know it sounds lame but back when Hugo played the thing live on QuakeCon, either I posted it or didn't because I couldn't care less about the drama, but the Carcass stuff and all the talk about "rock paper scissors" in regard to what weapon for which deamon made me a bit nervous. I'm pretty happy that Hugo said "that build back then wasn't that much fun to play". From everything I saw until now in regard to Doom: Eternal, it seems they absolutely know what they are doing. They went into a direction which MAYBE got too far, and wasn't as much fun as they thought, delayed the game, and perfected the experience (I hope, though I still think I'll hate the Carcass....as Hugo said).

I'd be super happy if Doom: Eternal has a different feel to Doom 2016, because Doom 2 had a different feel to Doom 1 (map wise, sound wise etc.).

tl;dr: I can't wait for this thing to download it's bits into my computer.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Where is the loving harpsichord!!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

olives black posted:

My fellow console peasants: are you pre-ordering through Gamestop or the Playstation store? I feel like doing the former because I still really like having physical discs.

I'll go digital for PC and physical PS4 version for the shelf (and of course to beat it there too). I go physical for some games on PS4 just as collector's thing, like all FROM games, Yakuza or most exclusives. Doom is Doom and I gotta own Doom in every platform I use to play (cept mobile where I use Delta Touch to use mods).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I hope we get some Donna to the Rescue.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
I just beat Doom '16 again, and one thing I had forgotten about is how back loaded the bosses are. No bosses appear for nearly the first 2/3 of the game, then you get bosses every other level for the end.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CJacobs posted:

0:37 is Into Sandy's City.

ooooh yeah, good catch

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

good day for a bris posted:

I just beat Doom '16 again, and one thing I had forgotten about is how back loaded the bosses are. No bosses appear for nearly the first 2/3 of the game, then you get bosses every other level for the end.

Sounds like a classic ork WAAAGH! You kill some :orks:, the rest hear that there’s a good scrap going on, and sooner or later you’ve got the big ones showing up for the fun :getin:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
just listening to this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCioYMe_LTw

and admiring the artwork and hold up whats that to the right, behind the hell priest's arm? looks like the icon of sin?

edit: oh wait, or is the gladiators shield? lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It looks very Icon-y to me, though I can't imagine Eternal is going to have you fight a wall texture again. I assume if the Icon is in the game it's that enormous titan walking by the skyscraper in that one trailer.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm pretty sure it's the (or maybe an) Icon of Sin. This time around it'll be a wall model :colbert:

It'll probably be one of multiple titans with titanic guts we get to rip and tear

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Icon of Sin was already in Doom 2016 and you got a pickup for shooting it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

just listening to this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCioYMe_LTw

and admiring the artwork and hold up whats that to the right, behind the hell priest's arm? looks like the icon of sin?

edit: oh wait, or is the gladiators shield? lol.
It looks to me like a dramatic close up of the Arch-Vile's head.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Party Boat posted:

The Icon of Sin was already in Doom 2016 and you got a pickup for shooting it.

No way go rip and tear it, no way to win the game by shooting John Romero. Fake Icon of Sin, imo.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Secondhand no-audio footage from MAP01 of Doom Eternal. I was correct that the overseas locations would be poorly managed and people would end up recording footage they weren't supposed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRCD5rGNdM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linguica posted:

Where is the loving harpsichord!!

My man

Harpsichord is critically underrated

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Linguica posted:

Secondhand no-audio footage from MAP01 of Doom Eternal. I was correct that the overseas locations would be poorly managed and people would end up recording footage they weren't supposed to.

This mostly shows how important the music and sounds are for the game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Why are they not allowed to show anything from the first map? Doesnt seem to be anything we didnt know about...

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Why are they not allowed to show anything from the first map? Doesnt seem to be anything we didnt know about...
Well the first part of the game likely has less thing to show off because they haven't been introduced to the player yet.
They also maybe didn't want to spoil some story elements in any official-ish way or it just still had some polish.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Linguica posted:

That video is private.

Whatever, I'm gonna see it in two months anyway.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The actual answer seems to be that they made an exclusivity deal with IGN to show off MAP01 as part of a February promotional package. So not long now.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Linguica posted:

The actual answer seems to be that they made an exclusivity deal with IGN to show off MAP01 as part of a February promotional package. So not long now.

Monday to be precise.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Heavy Metal posted:

Pinkies are the Little Finger

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Pinkies are grumpy because they're always excluded from tea parties

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MAP01 - Djentryway

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week and consequently multiple weeks until this goddamn game comes out

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Isabelle was already in Doom 2016 . Fully armored up!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Holy poo poo, I never realized the He-Man reference here:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1222515801363746819

(or maybe I am just imagining it? But it seems to be the He-Man pose)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is there any indication how much the campaign DLC will be to pick up a la carte? Even with special offers £75 for the special edition is a lot given I don't care about the multiplayer extras.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Is there any indication how much the campaign DLC will be to pick up a la carte? Even with special offers £75 for the special edition is a lot given I don't care about the multiplayer extras.

It remains to be seen whether or not that will be possible or if it will just be a $30-40 season pass. I wouldn't personally bet on being able to buy just the single player dlc by itself.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So I bought Doom 1993 on switch after they improved it and added WAD support and made it 60 FPS.

I gotta say, I'm amazed how much I'm enjoying vanilla doom, I havent played the original doom campaign in it's entirety in maybe 15-20 years, and that was Doom 2, since then I've mostly stuck with Brutal Doom mods and such. I'm shocked how much I'm enjoying the vanila experience, it hasnt aged at all, it's still exciting, the MIDI soundtrack is banging on a portable, 60 FPS adds so much to how smooth the controls are, and playing on a switch joycons is actually really comfy and nice! HD rumble also adds alot of nice haptic feedback!

and at $5 getting Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Sigil is an absolute steal.

Doom Good. Shotguns good. Demons bad.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 2, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
IMO Vanilla Doom is a far, FAR better experience than Brutal Doom. Brutal doom is goddamned held back in terms of progress or development. IMO.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 3, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

This might be a lot of nostalgia, but imo classic Doom is one of the games that simply ages perfectly. It somehow doesn't look "bad", even nowadays, and it still plays really well, and is simply a lot of fun. There is something about that engine that makes it look good even today, and not even in a "indie game-good" or "old-game-good".

Brutal Doom was a funny thing for a moment to me, but nothing more.

I still can't put my fingers on why some games manage to still look good, while others don't. Heretic? Didn't age well, I can only assume it might be due to some of the enemies beeing 3D models converted to the typical sprites. Hexen then again (with only a slightly modified Doom engine) looks still good.

Quake 1? I love everything about that game to this day.

Quake 2? Didn't age really well.

I can only assume that - to me - it's the combination of art style (not rendering technique or fidelity or whatever) and timeless gameplay mechanics/design just simply stands the test of time. I could go on how I prefer UFO: Terror from the Deep etc. But classic/vanilla Doom definitely takes the top spot for me on games that still look good, imo.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Brutal doom is goddamned r...

It’d be cool if you didn’t use that word my dude.

On topic, I‘ve been replaying All The Dooms and I was surprised how much I still enjoyed the original. I did use GZDoom + Smooth Doom so it wasn’t quite the authentic 1993 experience but it was great. I felt like the level design was less consistent in Doom 2 but hey, super shotgun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They should've released Doom 64 pre-order bonus before Eternal. So I could play it right now while I wait.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*buys DOOM16*
*barely makes it through The UAC due to horrible resource management*
*horrible twitch reflexes and hand-eye coordination, missing 60% of my shots*
*playing on Easy Baby Mode*
*can actually feel by body tense up from stress the longer I play*

God, I love this game

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

They should've released Doom 64 pre-order bonus before Eternal. So I could play it right now while I wait.

honestly, yes. releasing it the same day as eternal makes zero goddam sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You play 64 while waiting for Eternal to install, duh