Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am reminded of Joker and Harley's first breakup in the comics. Were Joker tried to launch her into the sky in a rocket, under the grounds he felt he was starting to feel stuff like empathy for another person, and he hated it, so he decided he would blow her up.

She managed to escape and survive, and later came back for revenge on Joker. When she cornered him, he just said "Would it help if I said I was sorry" and she pretty much instantly forgave him and joined up with him again. (Note he did not actually apologize.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Am I crazy or were there BTAS images in Harley's flashback?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This show makes me care about Ivy and Harley.

Bane's a delight as always.

:allears:

muscles like this! posted:

I didn't see any TAS clips.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MadJackal posted:

Harley Quinn made a joke about a pear tree that survived 9/11.

I'm not kidding, this show is my favorite comedy on any medium.

This lends credence to the idea that the time scale is kinda whatever they want it to be. Either Ivy knew that pear tree as a kid or she's been whatever age she is for quite some time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s a cartoon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xelkelvos posted:

I was gonna propose Batman: Brave and the Bold or Doom Patrol or Legends of Tomorrow. but okay.
After my time, so I have no opinion.

muscles like this! posted:

Harley has her BTAS outfit on in the first episode.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"Is your card... the three of hearts?"
"No."
"...fuuuck."

The line delivery of this show is amazing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
New episode is good. Frank is an absolute homie and I hope we will see him becoming a plant of mass destruction in the next one.

Oh and continues to be one of the best characters in this show.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Bane with the dad glasses :lol:

Love him so much

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Am I super baked or are two plants talking to each other right now?"

Also was it just me or did grandma Quinn look like Harley from Batman Beyond?

Miching Mallecho posted:

Bane with the dad glasses :lol:

Love him so much

"I am this credit cards reckoning!"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This entire episode was just :allbuttons:

Also Harley's family being this hosed up explains a lot.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

The 'acrobatic number from Harley's youth' callback execution thing was very forced and should not have made it into the final cut of the episode, because otherwise wow, this series keeps genuinely surprising me. I did NOT expect the showrunners to make her family THIS hosed up instead of the regular expected 'completely unlikable, but we can't have the offspring actually react to them as such and will play it for laughs instead, because family values in television'. That's pretty daring for a work of Western animation, even nowadays.

I cannot repeat it often enough: I do not like superhero stuff, but I really like this show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Really wanna know how her brother died.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Bahahahaha didn't expect Joshua to come back.

Bane is such a wonderful balance of good and terrible.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Am I super baked or are two plants talking to each other right now?"

Also was it just me or did grandma Quinn look like Harley from Batman Beyond?

She was totally Nana Harley.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 1, 2020

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
DC is weirdly on point with this show.

Watching the latest today, about a minute in I see a coffee mug and google the phrase...

http://shop.dcuniverse.com/products/harley-quinn-animated-series-caffeine-is-my-reckoning-mug

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Harley's dad reminds me of a somehow worse Big Bob Pataki.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Harley's dad reminds me of a somehow worse Big Bob Pataki.

honey, ive been meaning to tell you something. im gay

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Looking at IMDB, Harley Quinn has no sole showrunner. It's directed, produced, and written by multiple people across different episodes. On the one hand, this makes me sad because I can't point to one auteur making an amazing television show so I can follow them to whatever they used to do or whatever they're doing next but on the other hand, I'm floored by the talent being put on display here. I loving love this show and I hope it manages to go for many, many seasons.

I don't really care about comic book stuff in general (I'm a Watchmen/Transmetropolitan fan and that's about it) but I've watched more Marvel than DC stuff and this show really makes me wonder what a Marvel version would look like. I supposed it would basically be a Deadpool show starring Ryan Reynolds, right? Dude should take some of his Mobile/Vodka investment and try to get an adult cartoon show for Disney+.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They're doing a M.O.D.O.K tv show that if they do it how it should be done then it'd be something like this (in terms of it being about a comedy show about a villain trying to be move up and stuff, not the relationship aspects). There's a bunch of weird cartoons that Marvel has on the slate, Hit Monkey, Dazzler and Howard the Duck as well.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 2, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Looking at IMDB, Harley Quinn has no sole showrunner. It's directed, produced, and written by multiple people across different episodes. On the one hand, this makes me sad because I can't point to one auteur making an amazing television show so I can follow them to whatever they used to do or whatever they're doing next but on the other hand, I'm floored by the talent being put on display here. I loving love this show and I hope it manages to go for many, many seasons.

I don't really care about comic book stuff in general (I'm a Watchmen/Transmetropolitan fan and that's about it) but I've watched more Marvel than DC stuff and this show really makes me wonder what a Marvel version would look like. I supposed it would basically be a Deadpool show starring Ryan Reynolds, right? Dude should take some of his Mobile/Vodka investment and try to get an adult cartoon show for Disney+.

Judging by the interviews, it's run by

quote:

showrunners-executive producers Justin Halpern and Patrick Schumacker

quote:

the show's co-creators, Patrick Schumacker and Justin Halpern

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The poo poo My Dad Says dude? :wtc:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Megazver posted:

Judging by the interviews, it's run by
They were very kind in giving credit to Dean Lorey, who gets co-credited at the end of the episodes and has the same # of episodes executive produced (4) that Halpern and Schumaker get.

Edit: OOF they have matching Producer credits history on IMDB with "poo poo My Dad Says" as their longest running show at 18 episodes. Harley Quinn's supposed to have 13 this season so if they can get a renewal, it will likely end up being their longest running show to date.

Which is why I'm really not sure if those 2 are the ones "responsible" for how good this show is.

Edit 2: I means seriously, check this out:

A lot of people, it's hard to know where the talent is. Jennifer Coyle's got the most episode credits among the crew and her only other credits are a Scooby Doo TV Movie and DC Super Hero Girls. I'm kinda hoping she's the secret sauce breakout talent here.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 2, 2020

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

DaveKap posted:

Donald Glover put a fair amount of work into an FXX Deadpool show that got canned early on.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

They're doing a M.O.D.O.K tv show that if they do it how it should be done then it'd be something like this (in terms of it being about a comedy show about a villain trying to be move up and stuff, not the relationship aspects). There's a bunch of weird cartoons that Marvel has on the slate, Hit Monkey, Dazzler and Howard the Duck as well.

a M.O.D.O.K show with gwenpool and batroc would rule

Henker
May 5, 2009

DaveKap posted:

They were very kind in giving credit to Dean Lorey, who gets co-credited at the end of the episodes and has the same # of episodes executive produced (4) that Halpern and Schumaker get.

Edit: OOF they have matching Producer credits history on IMDB with "poo poo My Dad Says" as their longest running show at 18 episodes. Harley Quinn's supposed to have 13 this season so if they can get a renewal, it will likely end up being their longest running show to date.

Which is why I'm really not sure if those 2 are the ones "responsible" for how good this show is.

A lot of people, it's hard to know where the talent is. Jennifer Coyle's got the most episode credits among the crew and her only other credits are a Scooby Doo TV Movie and DC Super Hero Girls. I'm kinda hoping she's the secret sauce breakout talent here.

I've followed Jess Dweck on Twitter a while and she's pretty funny. Somehow I didn't realize she was a writer (I just thought she was a Twitter Person), so it was weird seeing her name pop up in the credits.

Has it been established before that Harley was a teen competitive gymnast or that her dad is a low level Jewish gangster? Because both of those make sense in retrospect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

You know most of this is because people can't be bothered updating imdb properly, right? Paul Dini should be credited for every episode, but he's not.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you've not got access to the total information here.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Henker posted:

Has it been established before that Harley was a teen competitive gymnast or that her dad is a low level Jewish gangster? Because both of those make sense in retrospect.

Don't know about the gangster father, but the teen gymnast thing has been there ever since Paul Dini and Bruce Timm's "Mad Love" comic book, which was the first ever telling of her origin story.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Her father's been a con man/crook in other Dini comics, so they're keeping with canon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rhyno posted:

Really wanna know how her brother died.

I'm pretty sure it's absolutely meant to be implied suicide.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Don't know about the gangster father, but the teen gymnast thing has been there ever since Paul Dini and Bruce Timm's "Mad Love" comic book, which was the first ever telling of her origin story.

Yeah, iirc she got into medical school on a gymnastics scholarship. It's quite a handy backstory for a character who's both athletic and intelligent, they do something similar for Batman and Robin's Mr Freeze.

And yeah, I'm not the only one seeing Harley's parents and immediately going 'THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gimmick Account posted:

The 'acrobatic number from Harley's youth' callback execution thing was very forced and should not have made it into the final cut of the episode, because otherwise wow, this series keeps genuinely surprising me. I did NOT expect the showrunners to make her family THIS hosed up instead of the regular expected 'completely unlikable, but we can't have the offspring actually react to them as such and will play it for laughs instead, because family values in television'. That's pretty daring for a work of Western animation, even nowadays.

I cannot repeat it often enough: I do not like superhero stuff, but I really like this show.

I dunno if that's even a hard and fast rule these days- a LOT of shows even children's cartoons have a lesson of 'lovely parents aren't going to change, what matters is the family and friends that actually demonstrably care about you'. Gravity Falls comes to mind with Soos finally giving up on his dad ever coming home for his birthday.

'Family values' groups don't really have any power anymore, and most have dropped the pretence and are just full on pro-bigotry.

ed: Also just realised, Harley's dad is wearing her colour scheme, but inverted.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Harley's dad being voiced by Ed Big-Head is just perfect.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

You know most of this is because people can't be bothered updating imdb properly, right? Paul Dini should be credited for every episode, but he's not.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you've not got access to the total information here.

Also showrunner is not listed in credits. Just because there are 10 executive producers doesn't mean they are equal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TVtropes of all places brings up that Harley's parents are basically takes on Peg and Al Bundy. With some realistic consequences; one child likely committed suicide in his teens while another became a famously mentally unbalanced supervillain.

Feels like there's some feminist but also general themes with them; Harley realising how unhealthy her upbringing was, being expected to sacrifice her own accomplishments for her parents no matter how well she did and realising that theme continues into adulthood; she's considered a prop for their status and success, which they're willing to sacrifice her life for in the end, because she doesn't fit what they expect of her as their daughter. (and they're not particularly concerned about their parents either)

In short it's a summarisation of what it's like to have Boomer parents.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 3, 2020

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

TVtropes of all places brings up that Harley's parents are basically takes on Peg and Al Bundy. With some realistic consequences; one child likely committed suicide in his teens while another became a famously mentally unbalanced supervillain.

Feels like there's some feminist but also general themes with them; Harley realising how unhealthy her upbringing was, being expected to sacrifice her own accomplishments for her parents no matter how well she did and realising that theme continues into adulthood; she's considered a prop for their status and success, which they're willing to sacrifice her life for in the end, because she doesn't fit what they expect of her as their daughter. (and they're not particularly concerned about their parents either)

In short it's a summarisation of what it's like to have Boomer parents.

Is Peg Bundy a typical Jewish mother? I genuinely don't know but I mean it's no coincidence they look identical from this picture.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

All the more reason to post this stuff, so people like you can correct me and I can be better informed! :)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like there's some feminist but also general themes with them; Harley realising how unhealthy her upbringing was

To be honest, it didn't sound like she was ever even deluded about that. Weirdly enough she seemed to be really ratio so about the merits and shortcomings of her dad. She took the fall, but not because he manipulated her into thinking it's best for he's or that it would be an act of love. She's kinda decent at heart and didn't want to let her rear end in a top hat dad be tortured by the mob. She didn't return home in the hope that she might rekindle familiar love with her dad and was absolutely appaled when he was there. I guess the Joker was just way better at gaslighting than that scumbag.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I guess the Joker was just way better at gaslighting than that scumbag.

The clown sex must have been amazing.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

The clown sex must have been amazing.

I mean, the crazy/hot spectrum is a thing. It must be like Marla and Tyler Durden's sex in Fight Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He pulls down tiny undies, and the penis just keeps on coming out, and it's all like "Woah, surely that's it now... nope, still more! How did it all fit in there?"