Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I tried to find it just now and I'm actually really happy that the first pro-price-gouging articles aren't until at least the second page of google results regardless of what I search for, the entire first page is news stories about how bullshit price gouging is and how much it's been reported. Even if I call it "supply and demand" it's still page 2 before articles from fuckin' Mises show up.

Here's what Mises has to say because if I have to compulsively hate-read it you do too:

You see if people have to pay more for gas they'll do less nonessential driving, and there's absolutely no reason why you would need to do a bunch of driving right before a hurricane hits.

Bonus:

The market must reveal what the urgent concerns of "natural disaster imminent" are, otherwise we just don't know!!

e: I never noticed Mises articles are creative commons licensed, that's... weird. I mean I guess it's because you're encouraged to copy and paste them to shut down arguments or w/e but it still seems odd.

The fact that they certainly get massive amounts of grift money from this that I'll never see (because I don't vomit garbage econ 101 like some kind of profundity) is a special kind of infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

PHYSICIANS WARNING: This poo poo fire

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shipon posted:

everyone who isn't on the MAGA train at this point has this ambient "white men are the source of all problems in society" and it can be alienating for white men who haven't won the class lottery who feel left behind. any time you point this out people will just go "oh you're just crying because other people are equal to you now". woke capitalism loves it because they can deflect the class issue entirely and it really doesn't matter what ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation is at the helm of capitalism.

maybe if the left didn't just rely on cheap "white men are evil" heat and tried offering them a welcoming hand that acknowledges whiteness as an institution is responsible for a fair (not all) amount of our problems, while individual white men can be victims of the system as well, but you know, twitter clout
everyone who isn't a chud isn't some dumbass id pol liberal, but yah you're right the liberal side of the establishment is overwhelmingly this way and it is alienating for poor white dudes

and these types of liberals who overwhelmingly support the oppressive system of capitalism are only "left" in america's insane propaganda system that wants to keep the conversation away from getting rid of capitalism

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bike tory posted:

But sure, western media hates poor white men.
the predominant american liberal media absolutely does and constantly scapegoats them for the country's current problems just like trump scapegoats hispanic and muslim immigrants for the country's problems.

anything to keep the conversation away from blaming the people who hold the overwhelming amount of power in the society (hint: it's the capitalists).

edit: also, capitalism structurally and inherently supports racism. this is what liberals don't want to examine. the nyt ed board was looking like sanders was speaking in an alien language when he was explaining this to them. i can elaborate further if you want.

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Jan 31, 2020

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Disrupting the jeans industry with this revolutionary idea

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dog Case posted:

Do they still come pre-torn and distressed at least, I want it to look like I wear VERY TOUGH WORK PANTS but I'm such a ROWDY BOY that I've messed them up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I sure do love all the tampon and birth control delivery services that show up on facebook with cutsy names since I transitioned. :bravo:

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Svensken posted:

Personally, I think society should treat poor people better.

This is a cool and good sentiment that everyone should get behind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

http://dungeonsanddeadlines.com/

The best I did was day 16 so far

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Len posted:

I only lasted 9 days but I always have extremely bad luck at these kind of games.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

That reminded me of another flash game that is about surviving while poor called Spent:

http://playspent.org/html/

I managed to survive the month but I had to shoot my dog, neglect my kid, opt out of health insurance and work until I almost killed myself. So what's your excuse poors? :smug:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I lasted 19 days on my first try. Always show up on time, with the very occasional early or late. Could have probably lasted longer but I clicked the wrong button.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

T-man posted:

I sure do love all the tampon and birth control delivery services that show up on facebook with cutsy names since I transitioned. :bravo:

advertising profiles but woke

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

T-man posted:

Wow its almost like life is revolving around you, the center of the universe

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Koishi Komeiji posted:

That reminded me of another flash game that is about surviving while poor called Spent:

I managed to survive the month but I had to shoot my dog, neglect my kid, opt out of health insurance and work until I almost killed myself. So what's your excuse poors? :smug:

it's weird, I went to work on time, and then I went home and got fired after 4 days

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Dog Case posted:

So...jeans?

the entire point of denim is that it’s loving durable

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Len posted:

I died from a stress ulcer on day 31.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Feral Integral posted:

Wow its almost like life is revolving around you, the center of the universe

A better maypole I can't imagine tbh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Koishi Komeiji posted:

There was a little gimmicky one about Uber that some news org made (I think New York Times?) where the things that happened in the game were actual events based on interviews they did with drivers, and I remember the comments were full of people complaining that it was too hard and the scenarios were unrealistic and unfair and it can't possibly be that bad, I mean how would anyone be able to live like that???

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I couldn't even get through the loading screen because it showed me this Elon Musk quote: "I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary." and then I smashed my computer in a rage.

edit: on my second try I got through all 31 days woooo :woop:

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Feb 1, 2020

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I got to day 12 before dying of.. food poisoning? The whole time I had very high esteem and family points with low stress, but low health. Constantly one click away from dying.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hit "exit" when the game first loaded instead of "look for a job" and it dropped me to a screen that said I had $1000 and no other choices so I guess I won.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

I couldn't even get through the loading screen because it showed me this Elon Musk quote: "I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary." and then I smashed my computer in a rage.

made it fine on the first try clearly i pulled myself up by my bootstraps, checkmate liberals :smugdog:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Peanut President posted:

it's weird, I went to work on time, and then I went home and got fired after 4 days

:gitgud: at being poor

Shame Boy posted:

There was a little gimmicky one about Uber that some news org made (I think New York Times?) where the things that happened in the game were actual events based on interviews they did with drivers, and I remember the comments were full of people complaining that it was too hard and the scenarios were unrealistic and unfair and it can't possibly be that bad, I mean how would anyone be able to live like that???

Do you still have a link to that?

ekuNNN posted:

When this game first came out if you chose the office temp build it made you take a typing test that measures your speed and accuracy and it was based on a real testing software used for these types of jobs and so many people failed they took it out and now you can just pick the easiest class and it's still hard as gently caress and you need to be lucky just to survive the month.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Turns out it's the first result for "uber game" :v:

And it was the Financial Times, weirdly enough:

https://ig.ft.com/uber-game/

e: Not sure where those comments were though, maybe twitter? Here's the original article that went with it, but comments are disabled lmao: https://www.ft.com/content/c9a8b592-a81d-11e7-ab55-27219df83c97

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Feb 1, 2020

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Turns out it's the first result for "uber game" :v:

And it was the Financial Times, weirdly enough:

https://ig.ft.com/uber-game/

e: Not sure where those comments were though, maybe twitter? Here's the original article that went with it, but comments are disabled lmao: https://www.ft.com/content/c9a8b592-a81d-11e7-ab55-27219df83c97

Don't expect to get these results right away, heh heh. You gotta really neglect the gently caress out of your kid and drive like 20 hour days but don't worry one day I'm sure you'll reach my level :colbert:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
0 tax (?)

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

:ssh:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

The Uber Game: world record run 1:31:27 ( Any percent run, no glitch, no warp, kid death ok, <5 suicide attempts, no health insurance, reverse boss)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

being alive under capitalism is just a speedrun tbf

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

T-man posted:

being alive under capitalism is just a speedrun tbf

T-man you’re the best poster on these drat forums, don’t let nobody keep you down

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Motherfucker posted:

A polo shirt crossed with a leotard?

A poleotard?

Oh we can't call it that...

a bodysuit, but it's just for the fellas.

a bod-he-suit, if you will

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

cmerepaul posted:

a bodysuit, but it's just for the fellas.

a bod-he-suit, if you will

If you wear one you're a bodhesuitva

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

So...jeans?

the entire point of denim is that it’s loving durable

Yeah jeans were originally created a robust work pants during the US gold rush.

http://www.historyofjeans.com/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Late Capitalism is like that meme where you hold up a blanket and get your dog to think you've vanished.

1800s: Create work pants called jeans

2020s: Create jeans and call them work pants

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

etalian posted:

Yeah jeans were originally created a robust work pants during the US gold rush.

http://www.historyofjeans.com/

Those jeans back then were something very unlike most jeans today.

Even if you ignore the whole super skinny fit stonewashed acid burned ripped distressed crap, modern denim fabric usually has some amount of elastane in it, for comfort. Even ordinary straight cut jeans will have 1-2% elastane, and some have 4-5% or more. Generally we also use lighter weight fabric today.

You can still get "raw denim" jeans, which means they're starched and unsanforized, not washed or treated in any way. So they're stiff as a board when you get them, they shrink a lot the first time you wash them and they bleed absolutely crazy amounts of color until they've been washed a couple of times. They'll also last for decades.

And those are usually still a lighter weight fabric than the original miner work pants.

KozmoNaut has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Feb 2, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

what if jeans, but in the cloud

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Raw jeans like ylls goons would wear and never wash, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dripping indigo dye in the rain and staining everything blue, yup.