Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The amount of trouble I have to go through and money I have to drop to get a loving duck in this country is criminal.

Yeah I'm planning to raise my own when I get a little more space, because they have good eggs and taste so good.

Edit: If I can get a few acres, I'll raise sheep too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The amount of trouble I have to go through and money I have to drop to get a loving duck in this country is criminal.

I had goose for the first time since 2018 this week, and I couldn't have been happier. Thank you, blessed Slav lands, for approaching China in the number of things you'll eat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeoh posted:

I had goose for the first time since 2018 this week, and I couldn't have been happier. Thank you, blessed Slav lands, for approaching China in the number of things you'll eat.

I think the first time I ever had goose was as Cantonese BBQ in Hong Kong and it was one of the greatest moments of my life.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I think the first time I ever had goose was as Cantonese BBQ in Hong Kong and it was one of the greatest moments of my life.

Yeah last time I had it was in Hong Kong. Hong Kong still does it better tbh.

Here's one thing we eat here which I haven't seen (on its own, not ground up) elsewhere: Cow udders! Steamed, sliced, and pan-fried on a sandwich with ground white pepper.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Yeah I was asking my FIL the other day about why people are buying snakes and bats and poo poo from markets like that and if it's just poor people who can't afford anything else or what, and he said it's actually only rich people who can afford to eat the exotic stuff anymore. I guess primarily for TCM-type reasons? I don't know, I can't imagine snake tastes good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Literally all food in China has some sort of TCM nonsense attached to it, though some are eaten primarily/only for that (like the weird fungus that grows out of centipedes). I've only had snake in Arizona and rattlers at least taste pretty good.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true

Grand Fromage posted:

Weirdly I'm in SoCal and I've been finding it cheaper to buy a duck at Aldi then whole roaster chickens at my local grocery

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

The Clitoris posted:

Weirdly I'm in SoCal and I've been finding it cheaper to buy a duck at Aldi then whole roaster chickens at my local grocery

SoCal one of the few places in US you can find "alternative" foods that aren't burgers, hotdogs and tacos. The Ethiopian district in Mid-Wilshire has amazing food.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

monkeytek posted:

SoCal one of the few places in US you can find "alternative" foods that aren't burgers, hotdogs and tacos.

That's not even remotely true. Any town of even moderate size has something. I'm in a generic midwest hell and have legit (Lanzhou) Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, Turkish, Greek, Ethiopian, assorted regional Mexican, assorted regional Indian, Polish, Hungarian, Lebanese, Jamaican, Egyptian, Colombian, Thai, and Guatemalan options readily available. And there are probably more I don't know about.

It's true that if you go to a generic American restaurant you're going to be getting potatoes but there's no need to ever do that, even here.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 31, 2020

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Nevermind!

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Aldi also has duck and pheasant in both the white and black poor working class neighborhoods of Baltimore, so I think Aldi just might carry that sorta stuff.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 31, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Grand Fromage posted:

They have them regularly at the local Publix, but I don't think I've ever seen them at another chain grocery store, and I have no clue where else I could get one.

They generally have geese and (for some reason) capons, too.

All the local grocery stores sell chitlins, but I've only ever even heard of those being cooked at a large family reunion.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We're moving to a smaller town, and being an hour away from the closest 99 Ranch and the nearest Trader Joes is going to be a wrench. I've already told my husband we're going to have to go back to owning a chest freezer.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Why wouldn't you own a chest freezer? You befriend rednecks with a dangerous hunting lust, of which about 30% will either outright refuse to eat game, or shoot so much they are giving it away, and there you go. Chest freezer justified

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Grand Fromage posted:

That's not even remotely true. Any town of even moderate size has something. I'm in a generic midwest hell and have legit (Lanzhou) Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, Turkish, Greek, Ethiopian, assorted regional Mexican, assorted regional Indian, Polish, Hungarian, Lebanese, Jamaican, Egyptian, Colombian, Thai, and Guatemalan options readily available. And there are probably more I don't know about.

It's true that if you go to a generic American restaurant you're going to be getting potatoes but there's no need to ever do that, even here.

Lol, sure tell yourself that.

I've lived in LA for 49 years, traveled extensively for business for 20+ years. No moderate sized city is going to have near that quality or breadth. New York, Chicago, San Francisco sure. At best you will have small outcrops of good food but the majority is bland Americanized "this is what is safe to serve in the states" food.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There are five drat Ethiopian restaurants in Charlotte loving NC, so you don't know what you're talking about.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's true that's there's a lot of good food around the country but LA is far and away the best cheap food eating city in the us.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

monkeytek posted:

Lol, sure tell yourself that.

I've lived in LA for 49 years, traveled extensively for business for 20+ years. No moderate sized city is going to have near that quality or breadth. New York, Chicago, San Francisco sure. At best you will have small outcrops of good food but the majority is bland Americanized "this is what is safe to serve in the states" food.
You’re telling on yourself so hard with this. Every part of the US has places you can see a non-White person, and if you traveled for 20+ years and never saw one then...

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

...(like the weird fungus that grows out of centipedes)...

Hang on I’m going to need to know more here

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Not just centipedes, other insects too. I was mixing it up with something else. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Cordyceps actually controlling the ccp.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Whoops, I offhandedly replied to someone in D&D and now how can we even prove the Wuhan National Biosafety Lab even exists, in fact this discussion happening at all is just racist attempts to distract from Impeachment

A powder keg over there.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

You’re telling on yourself so hard with this. Every part of the US has places you can see a non-White person, and if you traveled for 20+ years and never saw one then...

This has nothing to do with "non-white" people wtf are you even talking about? It has everything to do with population density and economics. In LA the Ethiopian population it over 60,000 easily the size of a moderate sized city in the Midwest. Because of this volume, markets, foodstuffs are plentiful enough to support real value add businesses like legitimate restaurants for that population. That is not the case outside of these large population centers except in very rare instances.

Here is a little tidbit, wonder why all of these "foreign" restaurants across America all have such similar menus and tastes? Because SYSCO has an "ethnic restaurants" division where you can literally call them, tell them you are starting a "Greek" restaurant and they will send you their starter packs including suggested menu items, breakdowns of everything you need to order down to the actual individual portions so you can control costs, all nicely sanitized and made safe for American palettes. Every major food distributor has a division like this.

If you want homogenized "foreign" food be my guest. I'll enjoy the real thing.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
There is a chain here in Canada called Nations. I am always tempted to buy one of the whole marinated ducks they have hanging. Or some of what appears to be a whole half pig.

I usually just grab some dim-sum though. They learned their lesson about not having cooked bacon in the $5.99/lb. buffet bar though. A pound of fully cooked bacon for the price of 2/3rd of a lb. uncooked? I literally brought back a huge rear end box of bacon to share with my co-workers.

Edit: We have a Ethiopian restaurant in my town. It is no where near the size of most US cities. Also, tonnes of authentic Chinese food around here. And yes many of them have a completely different menu than what you will see at homogenized Chinese restaurant. I know it's not particularly exotic but I've never seen congee or mapo tofu at any of the generic places in my entire life. Some of the fancier ones even have those big rotating tables.

Double edit: there are also a few bars around here where you can play Chinese gambling games like it was Yakuza or something.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 31, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I had a housemate once who walked into the kitchen, glanced into the fruit bowl, and in the voice of Lady Macbeth, said, "Plums?!?!? We never ate plums in my household."

I had a roommate that owned up to me like a guilty dog because he ate four of the six "hairless peaches"

This dude never saw a nectarine before

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How many days until total economic collapse and WWIII: crypto flu wars?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

monkeytek posted:

If you want homogenized "foreign" food be my guest. I'll enjoy the real thing.
LMAO, twenty years ago I was in rural Georgia eating incredible Fukienese & Viet foods in places without English menus, listening to halal butchers rant about how the certified suppliers were all scammers and they could get everything way cheaper, and once made the mistake of going to a kosher pizzeria.

Ethnic communities in the US have places where they cater to themselves, not Whitey, and if you make friends they can show you the good ones.

Oh. “Make friends”, goons, now I see it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

How many days until total economic collapse and WWIII: crypto flu wars?

Already happened. Sorry you missed it.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
So uh, do we have any goons in this thread that are still in China? Since both the US and Russia are telling basically all their citizens to gtfo or get stranded, and it's likely most EU countries will do similar in the coming week.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nobody I know in China is planning to leave, anyway.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zushio posted:

There is a chain here in Canada called Nations. I am always tempted to buy one of the whole marinated ducks they have hanging. Or some of what appears to be a whole half pig.

Do it!

Pick up some Peking Sauce (京酱)
Grab some Green Onion
Find or make some wraps

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Blistex posted:

Do it!

Grab some Green Onion
Find or make some wraps

That would be delicious with some bat meat

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Blistex posted:

Do it!

Grab some Green Onion
Find or make some wraps

One half pig, two whole wraps.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

LMAO, twenty years ago I was in rural Georgia eating incredible Fukienese & Viet foods in places without English menus, listening to halal butchers rant about how the certified suppliers were all scammers and they could get everything way cheaper, and once made the mistake of going to a kosher pizzeria.

Ethnic communities in the US have places where they cater to themselves, not Whitey, and if you make friends they can show you the good ones.

Oh. “Make friends”, goons, now I see it.

LOL, "I managed to find a couple locations that had ethnic communities large enough to support real restaurants" congrats.

I'm sure rural Georgia is just a hotbed of cultural food experimentation, I'm lesser for never having the chance to experience it.

Enjoy friend, I'm sure it was amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We seem to have downscaled from "No moderate sized city is going to have near that quality or breadth. New York, Chicago, San Francisco sure. At best you will have small outcrops of good food but the majority is bland Americanized "this is what is safe to serve in the states" food." to "simply listing real restaurants isn't good enough".

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I went looking for the post that got caps sent for vocational training and now can't remember who Monkeu is/was or why he's out $50 in re-regs this week.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Why haven't they killed all the bats like they did with the sparrows yet?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

pakman posted:

Cordyceps actually controlling the ccp.

Whoa

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

monkeytek posted:

LOL, "I managed to find a couple locations that had ethnic communities large enough to support real restaurants" congrats.

I'm sure rural Georgia is just a hotbed of cultural food experimentation, I'm lesser for never having the chance to experience it.

Enjoy friend, I'm sure it was amazing.

Why would you post something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ragtime All The Time posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

dELICIOUS