Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N9NawBO47c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMIqUwxCn0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

after all these years, it's still the best version.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKsvKQJDU0

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lN0w5HVT8

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Data Graham posted:

FWIW it did put me in mind of one of my favorite pieces of Tolkien trivia

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=27890

It makes me really mad to think that people are actually trying to teach kids a rule like this. It's an antiquated, dumb way to teach (see? that sounds fine despite breaking the rule) and focusing on pedantic bullshit like that will actively hurt kids ability as writers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
All stylish writing is useless, its no different from teaching what alliteration is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bike tory posted:

It makes me really mad to think that people are actually trying to teach kids a rule like this. It's an antiquated, dumb way to teach (see? that sounds fine despite breaking the rule) and focusing on pedantic bullshit like that will actively hurt kids ability as writers.

If memory serves that's one of those "hey let's be a Romance language now" things. Latin did have some funky rules on that sort of thing which actually made sense in its language structure. English, of course, is a Germanic language that gives no shits about such rules at its core but a batch of scholars decided that English should have a lot of stupid rules like that like all the cool kid Romance languages do.

It's stupid.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Samuringa posted:

All stylish writing is useless, its no different from teaching what alliteration is.

Alliteration sounds nice because our brains are constantly scrambling to find patterns like the sorting junkies they are. It's the same reason we love stress patterns in language.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

oldpainless posted:

A.............bad teacher? Like Cameron Diaz in that movie where she played a bad teacher. It was called “bad teacher”

That sounds familiar, but are you sure it wasn't "The Teacher Who Was Not Good at Her Job"?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Aw jeez and they loved the way I analogized the mandalorian with gravity's rainbow the other day

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Caufman posted:

That sounds familiar, but are you sure it wasn't "The Teacher Who Was Not Good at Her Job"?

I appreciate your help but I meticulously fact check every post I make so as to avoid any errors but thank you anyway Caofman

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

oldpainless posted:

I appreciate your help but I meticulously fact check every post I make so as to avoid any errors but thank you anyway Caofman

More like oldaidless

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Well I think you should still watch The Teacher Who Was Not Good at Her Job.

And I don't think you appreciate my help at all, oldsincereless.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvqXw2ZmWM

I don't know why this video is so satisfying

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves that's one of those "hey let's be a Romance language now" things. Latin did have some funky rules on that sort of thing which actually made sense in its language structure. English, of course, is a Germanic language that gives no shits about such rules at its core but a batch of scholars decided that English should have a lot of stupid rules like that like all the cool kid Romance languages do.

It's stupid.

Sounds like we got ourselves an infinitive splitter over here, get ‘im boys

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Data Graham posted:

I'm going to kick the poo poo out of him viciously

Edit: sorry I'm trying to delete it please sto

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I was just at my local recruiting office today and he said I was definitely fit enough to be SOCOM. But, geez, is this at all accurate?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Worked at a pizza place and it was still the same answer obviously

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sjs00 posted:

Worked at a pizza place and it was still the same answer obviously

Me too and basically yeah. It was worth it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bike tory posted:

Tolkien's mom being an rear end in a top hat about this was loving stupid, but this rule isn't a prescriptive one like the various idiot things whatever shitheaded English teacher insisted on*... it's how native speakers just do it automatically. I've never heard it taught, and I'm into this noise.

Your construction didn't even break the rule. For whatever reason, those two seem mutable.

*I'm not sassing you... I just loving hate the jerkwad English teachers who are either the source of utter bullshit or who insist on correct things with a snooty mien.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Wasn't Tolkien, like lots of middle-class colonials' kids, raised in England by aunts or something?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Data Graham posted:

FWIW it did put me in mind of one of my favorite pieces of Tolkien trivia

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=27890

Tolkien's mom's argument never held water for me because you can have a Great Dragon be a breed of dragon the same way there are Great Danes. Said Great Dragon could be green versus another color that Great Dragons come in. That said yes there are rules for adjectives but she was incorrect.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Data Graham posted:

That poo poo is something up with which I will not put.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gleebster posted:

Wasn't Tolkien, like lots of middle-class colonials' kids, raised in England by aunts or something?

No, he and his brother were home schooled by his mother for a good chunk of his early life because the family was so poor after his father died when Tolkien was a toddler.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Blendy posted:

Tolkien's mom's argument never held water for me because you can have a Great Dragon be a breed of dragon the same way there are Great Danes. Said Great Dragon could be green versus another color that Great Dragons come in. That said yes there are rules for adjectives but she was incorrect.

nope, still holds. if you're talking about a 'Great Dragon' or 'Great Dane', 'Great' is part of the noun, not an adjective, and is therefore an exception to the rule.

A large dog, green in colour is a 'green Great Dane'
A Danish person, large in stature, green in colour' is a 'great green Dane'

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, he and his brother were home schooled by his mother for a good chunk of his early life because the family was so poor after his father died when Tolkien was a toddler.

Yeah, that's it. I'm mixing him up with Saki and Wodehouse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What smoothbrain still refers to "hippies" in 2020?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Burners being ironic

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

mind the walrus posted:

What smoothbrain still refers to "hippies" in 2020?

The kind that joins the military.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If we're going to talk about what sounds natural to a native speaker, a long rear end list of adjectives is not natural at all.

Also "a brown, large dog" sounds fine if you pause inbetween. If it's clear that you're listing adjectives it makes gently caress all difference how you say them. Of course in fluent speech I'd say "a large brown dog" but also we're talking about writing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Also "a brown, large dog" sounds fine if you pause inbetween.

Nah

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No, you see, the breed is a Larjdog.

It's a brown Larjdog.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bike tory posted:

If we're going to talk about what sounds natural to a native speaker, a long rear end list of adjectives is not natural at all.

Also "a brown, large dog" sounds fine if you pause inbetween. If it's clear that you're listing adjectives it makes gently caress all difference how you say them. Of course in fluent speech I'd say "a large brown dog" but also we're talking about writing.

No it absolutely doesn't. what the hell

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Goons: "It's so dumb how people changed English just because they wanted to emulate a culture they were obsessed with"

Also goons: "We should change numbers so that 46 is read as 'four ten six'"

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Pwaxis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

bike tory posted:

Saying cross streets is another thing that's weird if you don't say them in a specific way. Nobody says Bell Rd. and 7th St. You say 7th St and Bell Rd.