Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I love roadmap discussion. They've successfully transferred public scrutiny from game development to a chart that talks about game development, because a chart is the only thing they can actually release. And the backers immediately and fully embrace each item on the chart as real and true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sample_text posted:

MISC Hull-C Isn't that the unfolding umbrella cargo ship?
Hey ,wait a minute. Isn't carrying boxes one of the few things that actually works in their broken alpha?
Why aren't we seeing this in the alpha again?

Oh right. Spoilers...........

All you need to know is: Chris’s coding has made the Hull C possible...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm sure it was a sinking feeling.

I hope it involves deck chairs. Everybody loves deck chairs! Especially mine!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPHHuQhP0a8

:reddit: *waits for the "not my proudest fap" comment.

:reddit: Hahah or *sigh* …unzips

I like how they are supposed to look built or stacked, but somehow to me they look gangly and malnourished. Maybe it's only me?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheAgent posted:

in less than 60 days (42 working days but its CIG so crunchcrunchcrunchcrunch) they need to push the following to live (according to their own roadmap so lol)
  • Prison Gameplay, which includes a new location, new armor, and new mechanics and updates to the law system
  • New Mission Giver
  • microTech's New Babbage Interiors/Landing Zone (stripped from 3.8)
  • Ship AI Improvements, including improved collision detection and pathfinding (which just got the "uhhh we might need more time" kiss of death)
  • New Player UI
  • Improved Player Interaction (no more holding F???)
  • More loving Flight Model Changes
this is the major stuff they need to push out to Live within 60 days lol

like when this hits the PTU its gonna be hilarious

it's alright they are far along, npc clothing designs already chosen

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
They need to scrap the roadmaps excel tables and transfer all activity tracking to monday never dot com, it will surely help track their progress and help getting stuff done!
Sure, it will take another half of year (of all workers so no actual dev progress will be made during the transition period) to transfer ALL THESE UPCOMING FEATURES to the aforementioned service and also a small payment of just 5 million dollars but it will speed up the delivery twice!

Buy an Idris now, help Chris build his your his dream!

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 31, 2020

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheAgent posted:

roadmaps out

Notable Changes for January 31st, 2020
____
Bounty Hunter Armor
  • Bounty Hunter Armor should be released alongside Bounty Hunter Gameplay, with meaningful design choices being incorporated into the armor. Until we find a place for Bounty Hunter Gameplay, we've removed this card from the PU Roadmap.
MISC Hull-C
  • MISC Hull-C has been moved to complete on the SQ42 Roadmap.
Ship AI: 3D Pathfinding - Planet Side
  • While this card did move into polishing on the PU roadmap this week, we expect to open it back up in the coming weeks as there is a chance more work will need to be done.
Descriptions have been updated for the following cards on the PU Roadmap:
  • High Speed Combat
  • New Targeting Methodology
  • Player Interaction System Improvements
  • Ship AI: 3D Pathfinding - Planet Side
  • Ship AI: 3D Navigation - Collision Avoidance
  • Body Dragging
  • Ship HUD Rework
  • Shield Systems Tech Replacement
The following cards have been removed from the PU Roadmap:
  • QT linking for AI Ships - Following review, leadership has decided to remove this card from the roadmap because, in its current state, this epic would only bring functionality, not the full player experience we would want.
  • Large-Scale Shadow Improvements - After a review with leadership during planning week, focus for the quarter shifted from Shadows to finishing Live Environment Probes and Reflections, as these tasks will be needed fairly soon for SQ42.

Dead cat splatte

fin.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

Starbase seems to be the best bet for that

Also holding out hope for Starbase, although the PVP element in any building game makes me a bit worried. They seemed to have sort of the same vagueness there that a lot of those games do. A kind of "Please only focus on the positive consequences of including this, we'll use mod tools to get rid of the negative ones!!".

Game still looks rad though and is likely actually a game. That will release.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sample_text posted:

MISC Hull-C Isn't that the unfolding umbrella cargo ship?
Hey ,wait a minute. Isn't carrying boxes one of the few things that actually works in their broken alpha?
Why aren't we seeing this in the alpha again?

Oh right. Spoilers...........

Well, that's just an update to Squadron 42 (one of the only SQ42 updates this time) so it's technically just the work on the outside with an NPC flying it.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I thought we already had screenshots of turtles in game?

martial arts confirmed!

lets kick shell!!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
What's happened in the last two years?

Not really paid any attention to this due to Brexit laughs.

Posting from outside the european union.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
You know, this game really could have been the best drat space sim ever. It had the budget, I remember it having the talent with big dev names both technical and managerial, it had the hype. But they managed to piss away all these advantages leaving... what exactly? Their dev team is likely both severely undermanned and without the necessary skills, so they'll deliver at most a mediocre product.

Welp, at least it's been entertaining.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Spreading the hype

:smith: I'm the exact opposite if this, I'm concierge and anyone who brings it up I temper their expectations and tell them to hold off for now. And only when they bring it up, after the first and only time I attempted to get a friend in to try and it was a complete and utter catastrophe.

:smith: All my friends refuse to try it out cuz most of them are against early access games. And then one time I eventually convinced a single friend to finally come in on a free weekend.m, and we got jack poo poo done. Couldn’t find each other for 30 minutes, disconnected 5 times, as soon as he spawned he’d fall through the planet, then spawn somewhere else entirely. We finally got into a ship, I landed in Hurston, and working 5 seconds of landing the game told me my ship was in the way and was going to be automatically stored, but my friend didn’t know and didn’t run off in time, so as I got off he was teleported you god knows where, and after another hour of us trying to get to each other, along with 2 more crashes, he tells me how this game isn’t really for him, and I lose my only friend that was willing to try after 5 years of begging pretty much. I’m not even gonna install it again for 3.9 or 4.0, cuz I know how much of a massive letdown they will be again. Just like 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8. Every single one was a letdown with every major feature pushed back. They shouldn’t do 4 releases a year, but maybe 1-2, since they actually cannot do things properly with their current schedule and timeline

:colbert: Do you tell them all the bugs and setbacks the game is riddled with? Or do you just tell them about "the great vision"?

:reddit: I tell them that they have implemented gigantic planets and highly detailed ships, and that I actually cried when I couldnt find my warm ship in a snowstorm on microtech when I was playing drunk once. Most don't want to join anyways, dont have the hardware for it, and in my age only few like spacesims (so far) (I'm 23).

:colbert: So you didn't tell them how terrible of an experience it is to actually sit down and try to play it?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:trustme: Star Citizen Live: Theatres Of War CitizenCon Followup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3MzfiZgYmI

:colbert: IMO this better not come out pre-4.0, as we really REALLY need the server -> client network refactor before FPS combat feels good. The 250ms fixed delay (plus ping) and tons of desync issues makes SM no fun atm.
EDIT: They address this point exactly at 29 minutes. The TLDR is it will suck as much as Star Marine because it's the exact same system, however since they're building this now it will sort of bring these kinds of bugs to the surface more and force them to fix it. I'm skeptical, because that was the entire point of Star Marine. But I'm hopeful it works out because a true, tight "FPS" feel on a game this massive would be incredible.
EDIT2: The delay is "up to 500ms delay" and it was added in 2.0 and never meant to be permanent... holy crap!
EDIT3: 3.0 reduced this delay to 250ms.
EDIT4: The new "rewind time" is dynamic and can scale down to basically nothing if needed. "AC will feel better, PU will feel better, SM will feel better. It's Not COMPLETELY done, its not super fine tuned but we've already put this stuff in so the next release (3.9) will have all this. Also not in the main branch, but when theatres goes out this will go out"

:smithicide: So wait, they're planning to implement rollback style netcode? The type they've been using in fighting games? If so, that could be pretty impressive then. Or pretty terrible.

:smith: I think it really all depends on how much delay there is. Prediction in games in general has gotten pretty good, but games with rollback netcode live and die by how good it is. If it's not a huge focus after the initial release, I worry.

:shepspends: Have you played star Marie? Because those aren't issues you have to worry about in star marine, and considering that TOW is supposed to be in star marine and not the PTU I think it'll be fine

:colbert: Yes, and as someone with a very low ping it is INFURIATING. High-ping players are at a major advantage in SM with the current network infrastructure. I can go in depth as to why if you're interested, but the refactor plans to do two things:
-No more +250ms sync period
-Server authoritative position data so that people with poor connections have poor experiences (aka get warped back to their real location) instead of being way harder to kill.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

:trustme: [i]Star Citizen Live: Theatres Of War CitizenCon Followup

No way I'm gonna actually watch any of that but I skimmed thru it to see if they ever showed any gameplay footage.

they don't

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Kellanved posted:

You know, this game really could have been the best drat space sim ever. It had the budget, I remember it having the talent with big dev names both technical and managerial, it had the hype. But they managed to piss away all these advantages leaving... what exactly? Their dev team is likely both severely undermanned and without the necessary skills, so they'll deliver at most a mediocre product.

Welp, at least it's been entertaining.

Most of the faces in this week's Uncle Toucher's Hey Kids Let's Turn The Cameras Around Fun Time Show exuded all the competence of a thumbless can opener. All it did was reconfirm for the nth time what we already know. Vision Boy learned dick from Freelancer or any of the other projects he masterfully disheveled on his and Dweeble's way out the door. What they showed yesterday was nothing more than a watery weak sauce welcome to our new company let's get to know everyone and find out what they do BS waste of everyone's time that I got out of working for other people to never ever have to tolerate again. Now go away.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Imagine having "Producer - Star Citizen" on your resume when trying to get another job in the gaming/computing industry :ohdear:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

What's happened in the last two years?

Not really paid any attention to this due to Brexit laughs.

Posting from outside the european union.

AP!!!!!!!!!!!! Longtimenosee!

The last two years, compared to the glories of 2014-2017, have been a bit of a bore. If you haven’t seen Bootcha’s ongoing series, it’s glorious, goonish and surely infuriating to Chris, who surely wishes Ben had never introduced Bootcha to him. (I’ve put out some videos, too.)

Derek, alas, has mostly moved on. If disaster eventually befalls this project, he’ll surely re-activate for the victory lap.

CIG sold 10% of its stock to a billionaire recluse (Clive Calder) in the Caymans. Ostensibly, that money is for Squadron 42’s marketing budget, which supposedly is hitting Beta by Summer. (Chris is burning the money instead, as usual.)

A most interesting development is the vanishing of Sandi at start of 2019. Chris started to retreat a couple months after. And then this hit. If Calder had been excited about his new stake in an upcoming gaming brand, that probably made for some unhappy reading, followed by unhappy phone calls. And possibly more.

The project is in terminal decay. It’s been that way for ages but unlike two years ago, you can really feel it bleeding through what little content they squeeze out these days. Chris and Sandi are multimillionaires, and Sandi seems free and clear now, but Chris is stuck being the face of this debacle until he’s forcibly removed or secures his own Freelancer exit. He’s probably very eager for the latter right now, knowing as he must that despite a quarter billion dollars and eight years, he just can’t make a game worthy of all the hype he’s presold.

It’s a bore to follow most of the time, seeing that Chris is in hiding and Sandi is gone. Lando has the camera now, and sheepishly pops up to serve thin video gruel a couple times a week. (It’s mostly terrible, dull, and semi-apologetic...)

Yet there’s still likely some dramedy ahead. Or that’s what we keep telling ourselves, anyway! :)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

Yet there’s still likely some dramedy ahead. Or that’s what we keep telling ourselves, anyway! :)

When this dies, we'll have a lunatic core of mentally ill who are out tens of thousands of dollars and nearly a decade of their life and egos poured into what will become a nonexistent product. Some will move on, but not all. The ones that can't, or won't, will be an encore presentation for the ages.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

can you imagine the NBC investigatory report but instead of a bunch of sad grannies who invested their retirement money its just angry nerds

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru posted:

There is a billion things you can report on in your serious magazine that they didn't mention that are much more damming for the project than the strangli incident. That they choose to hit low is the dick part.

To whom is the piece addressed? To presumably sophisticated potential investors I think. So why talk about domestic bullshit instead of many other examples of crap they have been lying about and that are an integral part of the project?

I'm not giving a hall pass to lie, I just consider that sort of thing fairly irrelevant, specially when there is a lot of bullshit they are getting away with.

Counterpoint: lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/BAo6uz7.gifv

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

An odd question popped into my head a while back: Did CIG ever get port Olisar's rings to behave? I know we went from "rotation jitters" to "popping to the wrong angle" to "detaches from the station entirely" but I haven't heard of any new wonky behaviors for the past year or so.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wait wait wait wait

Hold the loving phone

Why isnt Sandi, the perfect lady who had a line of clothing and designed poo poo when she was in university not like... your go-to person to discuss/judge your fashion show!?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Because she doesn't give a flying gently caress about SC?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sabreseven posted:

Dead cat splatte

fin.

splatte taxxe

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bronze Fonz posted:

Because she doesn't give a flying gently caress about SC?

Ill have you know she was a goddess at DOOM and could beat your rear end in deathmatch any day of the week, point dexter.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ill have you know she was a goddess at DOOM and could beat your rear end in deathmatch any day of the week, point dexter.

Was this literally part of the lore? Was it actually? Really??

I am asking seriously--are you having a goof or was this actually something they publicly claimed?

Was this some obviously untrue bit of Sandi intended to prove her gamer pedigree and legitimize her as the head of marketing for an alleged game alleged developer by pandering to an audience of gamers? Because if this really happened, that's how I'm imagining it going down.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Time_pants posted:

I am asking seriously--are you having a goof or was this actually something they publicly claimed?

Was this some obviously untrue bit of Sandi intended to prove her gamer pedigree and legitimize her as the head of marketing for an alleged game alleged developer by pandering to an audience of gamers? Because if this really happened, that's how I'm imagining it going down.

What does your heart tell you?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Time_pants posted:

This and more. And as we watched, we felt that familiar feeling of humor as we collectively thought "LOL well this won't work" until we looked at the backers and saw it working, which was followed by the now familiar feeling of vicarious embarrassment.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Time_pants posted:

She played Doom 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, while she should have been working on her Master’s Thesis. That’s how hardcore a gamer she was.

Or so she claimed, anyway.

She really didn’t have any other games she knew how to talk about. Just Doom.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

She really didn’t have any other games she knew how to talk about. Just Doom.

that is a totally believable story.
like all sandi stories it must have been exactly as she said.

she also is a professor in marine biology.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bumble He posted:

that is a totally believable story.
like all sandi stories it must have been exactly as she said.

she also is a professor in marine biology.

You'd think Star Citizen would have sold a submarine to explore underwater biomes by now. "You can fit all of Subnautica in that undersea crater."

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hold on, so, this week´s last AtV or whatever the gently caress the program is called these days, did not address the issue of the roadmap cuts or SQ42 news at all?

:laffo:

I am sure CIG is counting on the bad news cycleto be over by now and the faithful are back to normal.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Popete posted:

No way I'm gonna actually watch any of that but I skimmed thru it to see if they ever showed any gameplay footage.

they don't

Very nothing to see. The first third was literally a requested recap of Crytek Benedict's desperation sweats from CitCon last. The second third indemnified the big brains behind the Persisting Travesty Universe who never had a fair chance to test their own fixes to the game because, like another tearful Gary Glitter English language "quiz," it's just too drat big. The rest was more deflective dad joke words behind my screaming and the blaring horns all around road rage Friday evening commute. You failed already CI. You will not play this off like now is the normal time to be worried about the completely broken fundamentals behind this next in line CR poo poo show.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
what

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

ClownBobo posted:

Very nothing to see. The first third was literally a requested recap of Crytek Benedict's desperation sweats from CitCon last. The second third indemnified the big brains behind the Persisting Travesty Universe who never had a fair chance to test their own fixes to the game because, like another tearful Gary Glitter English language "quiz," it's just too drat big. The rest was more deflective dad joke words behind my screaming and the blaring horns all around road rage Friday evening commute. You failed already CI. You will not play this off like now is the normal time to be worried about the completely broken fundamentals behind this next in line CR poo poo show.

Clowndestine Boboyster.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Remember kids, don't do drugs.

Give them to me instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

CIG sold 10% of its stock to a billionaire recluse (Clive Calder) in the Caymans. Ostensibly, that money is for Squadron 42’s marketing budget, which supposedly is hitting Beta by Summer. (Chris is burning the money instead, as usual.)

A most interesting development is the vanishing of Sandi at start of 2019. Chris started to retreat a couple months after. And then this hit. If Calder had been excited about his new stake in an upcoming gaming brand, that probably made for some unhappy reading, followed by unhappy phone calls. And possibly more.

:gary:

Nice, is that wtf guy on twitch still playing this?