Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo I think my install of Frozen Throne got forcibly updated to Reforged, Windows 10 style. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Every tome I think reforged has surely hit rock bottom this time...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tubgoat posted:

Holy poo poo I think my install of Frozen Throne got forcibly updated to Reforged, Windows 10 style. :stonk:

I mean... a patch is a patch. They put out a patch. Your game installed the patch.

The patch just happened to be "to the reforged client".

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Reforged is pretty loving great. I go from unplayable bad framerate to a black screen with a cursor in the middle of it. Good loving work, Blizzard. I'd demand a refund if I still had tne receipts for the discs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Another dumb thing I noticed. At the end of each campaign mission you get the

Continue
Quit Campaign

button menu. They both lead to the exact same score screen.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I think I may actually bear more malice toward Activision than any other company, and they're not even actively destroying the physical planet as directly as the rest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

2) If you use cheats in the campaign you can still unlock all of the portraits

lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean... a patch is a patch. They put out a patch. Your game installed the patch.

The patch just happened to be "to the reforged client".

There's no option to not patch though, which is hosed.

If you were still on like 1.3 or whatever you could just not load B.net and you could keep playing. Couldn't go online but it'd be the same game, it would take up like 300MB and you could play campaign and customs on LAN.

But if you're on the latest war3 patch then it is IMPOSSIBLE to even boot the game up without it patching itself into reforged.

That's some sneaky rear end poo poo.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I hit the play button but then I saw it was 30 gigs and I don't have 30 gigs open right now. Then there was no button to cancel the download, so now I have a paused and hanging 30GB download just hangin' out as one of my running processes permanently I guess

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lmao, 30 gigs? Fucker's getting uninstalled. I had to uninstall Borderlands 2 to cram this rancid pile of poo poo into my harddrive.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

what the hell is actually taking up 30 gigabytes worth of space, anyway?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I've been thinking about installing this game from my old CDs; is it safe to do so as long as I don't try to patch the game and just stick to the single-player campaigns?

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Meaty Ore posted:

I've been thinking about installing this game from my old CDs; is it safe to do so as long as I don't try to patch the game and just stick to the single-player campaigns?

You should be safe to install and play from your CD version and you should be able to Google and download old War3 patches if you desire to do so. I believe you only run the risk of a forced Reforged patch if you own the game through the current Bnet client. Plus I think old Bnet is dead now anyway so I don't think you can even connect and update within the original game.

World War Mammories posted:

All the new art assets mostly. Art assets that non-Reforged owners will never use.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Man I was hoping to spend 40 bucks on a quick nostalgia hit playing through the campaign but it sounds like no I will not be doing that.

Why didn't they just port it so I could play it and maybe add a few cool models and better optimization and such?

edit: I've had my "never pre-order" personal mantra for a while and I see here it AGAIN pays dividends I suggest those who don't adopt it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I feel like I know the answer already but did they remaster any of the cinematics other than the opening from BlizzCon?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

George H.W. oval office posted:

I feel like I know the answer already but did they remaster any of the cinematics other than the opening from BlizzCon?

They didn't even keep the remastered Culling cutscene that they showed off at Blizzcon lmao

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

World War Mammories posted:

Just for a funny comparison, that is the size of the Witcher 3...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

It also seems to have removed my RoC CD key from my account if what the support guy I ticketed is right.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This is so terrible it comes across as less incompetent and more outright malicious

I was really looking forward to playing the old campaign.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

George H.W. oval office posted:

This is the decision I'm okay with because I'm guessing remaking the cinematics would have taken a poo poo ton of time that the cinematics department doesn't have these days. Its not even like the old ones look bad.

But every single other decision Blizzard made was the wrong one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Great to see this crap is infesting games now also.

https://twitter.com/colincornaby/status/1223073101312753664?s=20

By the way, if you check the replies someone worked out this is why Hearthstone crashes a while after you buy something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
gently caress :filez: will pirating WC3 let me get the original game back?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Offline and LAN play, yes.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Kith posted:

Silvermoon's overall layout isn't that different once you account for completely rotating the map. Speaking of Silvermoon, I just got to the part where you pick up Sylvanas, and... like, sure, okay. It's real cool that she's a hero unit now. But that skillset is loving garbage. If you're going to make a custom hero with copy/pasted abilities, either hide it well (see: Garithos, any of the Dreadlords) or make custom icons for it so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

it's not the layout that's the issue. like, yeah, it's flipped and recreated - it'll be different in small ways. but it's just an uglier map. for one, the vast expanse of blank ocean that takes up maybe a quarter of the map demonstrates that the map was badly planned out. that's something you seen in fan-made campaigns all the time. additionally, it has less detail. not only is so much of it flat, but there's not many doodads or little features. if anything, the reforged maps should have more detail because they're made with modern computers in mind.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Great to see this crap is infesting games now also.

https://twitter.com/colincornaby/status/1223073101312753664?s=20

By the way, if you check the replies someone worked out this is why Hearthstone crashes a while after you buy something.
I think a lot of games do Chrome-based UI nowadays. I know Dota and CS:GO do it after they transitioned over from the Flash-based UIs that basically every AAA game used for a while...

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

At least for right now, you can also download the Warcraft 3 PTR installer through your bnet account if you have a cd key registered. That is still based on the old version.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ad by Khad posted:

Same reason they couldnt say Grom in that one wow expansion. Honda trademarked the name (it's a motorcycle) out from under Blizzard and Blizzard can't do poo poo
Trademarks apply to industries/types of products. No one is gonna confuse a videogame orc for a motorcycle.

Horizon Burning posted:

it's not the layout that's the issue. like, yeah, it's flipped and recreated - it'll be different in small ways. but it's just an uglier map. for one, the vast expanse of blank ocean that takes up maybe a quarter of the map demonstrates that the map was badly planned out. that's something you seen in fan-made campaigns all the time. additionally, it has less detail. not only is so much of it flat, but there's not many doodads or little features. if anything, the reforged maps should have more detail because they're made with modern computers in mind.
I remember there being something of a scene back in the day of people making pretty maps/cinematics, with some pretty basic doodads. Blizzard could've just tricked some map makers from back then into doing the map making for them - some doing the gameplay poo poo, others prettying up the maps, especially the out of bounds areas.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Horizon Burning posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that - it's very "close enough". Stratholme was too, although that can kinda-sorta get a pass because it's a city and usually those are somewhat level. I was just pointing out that the layout was more or less identical to what it used to be, just flipped turn-ways.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Regardless of anything else, I'm happy that this has lead to a brief upswing in popularity for WC3. Custom games are filling out SUPER quickly. In the past few years you could play DotA, Footman Frenzy and maaaaybe something like Uther Party or DBZ Tribute but there weren't enough people interested to play anything else. Nowadays you can host basically anything and it'll fill out even at off-peak times. I'm really happy to get a chance to experience 2005-2010 levels of activity again. Takes me back, man. Reminds me of better times.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
It's my dream to play a full house game of skibi td

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Trademarks apply to industries/types of products. No one is gonna confuse a videogame orc for a motorcycle.

I can agree with this logic but I've never seen another argument as compelling why Blizzard would do it. Honda released the Grom in 2014 and that summer just happened to be the exact moment Blizzard changed all mentions of Grom to Grommash Hellscream, in the middle of the alpha for their upcoming videogame expansion that Grom was originally supposed to be the final boss of (and then completely vanished instead). Now they're doing it in this game, too.

If you know of a different reason I'm all ears.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The vanishing bit is at least explanable by WoD being a massive clusterfuck behind the scenes.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

sponges posted:

This is so terrible it comes across as less incompetent and more outright malicious

I was really looking forward to playing the old campaign.

Capitalism: This is so terrible it comes across as less incompetent and more outright malicious.

Turbo_hai.gif

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

They didn't even keep the remastered Culling cutscene that they showed off at Blizzcon lmao

The Culling cutscene is in the game files

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

All I can say is: I can't wait for the Internet Historian video. Honestly it seems like he has enough material for the next 2 years with how things have been going in the industry as of late

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ad by Khad posted:

I can agree with this logic but I've never seen another argument as compelling why Blizzard would do it. Honda released the Grom in 2014 and that summer just happened to be the exact moment Blizzard changed all mentions of Grom to Grommash Hellscream, in the middle of the alpha for their upcoming videogame expansion that Grom was originally supposed to be the final boss of (and then completely vanished instead). Now they're doing it in this game, too.

Someone at Blizzard wants to leave their mark, take ownership of something they didn't create, changing things for no other reason than because they can and aren't actually that talented. Maybe they hate the name because it reminds them of surfer dudes, maybe it's to do with the name meaning thunder in a lot of Slavic languages and this somehow being judged an issue? All of which makes more sense than the idea that 'Blizzard, not exactly an indie developer, can't do poo poo' about what at worst would result in Honda getting fined for wasting the court's time. Blizzard should legit have been more worried about WoD getting them hit with some hate speech law outside the US, because it made the enemy a bunch of brown-skinned dudes resisting slavery. Which is to say, not worried at all.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Ad by Khad posted:

They figured Toyota's SEO is stronger than theirs, and didn't want people googling "Grom" to end up with a lot of cars.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They're gonna be screwed when the Suzuki Legendary-Hero-Gets-Corrupted-By-The-Forces-Of-Darkness-And-Becomes-The-Villain hits the road.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Meaty Ore posted:

Install from CD, patch to 1.27a. You won't have widescreen or framerates beyond 60 fps but as long as you don't click any of the battle.net stuff it should work fine for offline, custom campaigns, LAN, and private servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

sponges posted:

The fact that it wipes all user data (game saves, replays, etc.) without warning the user definitely makes it malicious.