Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ferrule posted:

Your scroll-up button is broke, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Anytime I hear this I think of the old Aerosmith Revolution X arcade game (apologies if it was already mentioned, I've been skimming through on a nostalgia trip lol)

I can't remember what it was about other than having shooty guns, I think you ended up taking out a helicopter at one point to try to rescue the band or something

I spent so many nickels on this game hot drat

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

So it was YOU!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember seeing this game everywhere and no one was ever playing it because Mortal Kombat 2 or 3 was right next to it

They always had the difficulty cranked up to max and charged two quarters which if you’re lucky would get you through half a level. gently caress that I’d rather go play Street Fighter 2 again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Mostly I remember just hearing the drat thing while I went and played something else. I also remember them shooting CDs as a weapon and lol.

The 4 player Turtles In Time is still my all time favorite arcade experience game.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Kids these days will never know the betrayal of seeing how awesome the TMNT arcade game was, then trying out the first one for the NES.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryonguy posted:

Kids these days will never know the betrayal of seeing how awesome the TMNT arcade game was, then trying out the first one for the NES.

the second one was decent, at least

content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1acEVmnVhI

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Sir Lemming posted:

So it was YOU!

It was me too. My friend and I used to play the crap out of it. In fact, it was one of the first games I had ever seen a cheat or tips sheet for. My friend found one on the internet and printed it out and brought it to the arcade and we used it to get pretty far. We loved that game. I never understood the hate it gets, although supposedly it has some no-win places in it to get you to have to put quarters in, so that sucks

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Randaconda posted:

the second one was decent, at least

content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1acEVmnVhI

Had an extra level in it even. Probably as an apology.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lemming posted:

So it was YOU!

:gritin:

It was waaaaaay in the back of our local Wunderland/Wonderland? arcade. Played alot of Hydro Thunder, and Off-Road Challenge (always pushed the secret buttons to get the monster truck) and Metal Slugs. Though, that was mostly early 2000's. Why my arcade had an Aerosmith arcade game is beyond me, but I thought it was cool man!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Anytime I hear this I think of the old Aerosmith Revolution X arcade game (apologies if it was already mentioned, I've been skimming through on a nostalgia trip lol)

I can't remember what it was about other than having shooty guns, I think you ended up taking out a helicopter at one point to try to rescue the band or something

That game was usually sitting unused at the arcade when I was in college. Same setup as the T2 game that was usually busy.

Maybe they should have done a time travel game when you could go back to when Aerosmith was cool?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:gritin:

It was waaaaaay in the back of our local Wunderland/Wonderland? arcade. Played alot of Hydro Thunder, and Off-Road Challenge (always pushed the secret buttons to get the monster truck) and Metal Slugs. Though, that was mostly early 2000's. Why my arcade had an Aerosmith arcade game is beyond me, but I thought it was cool man!

What's up fellow Wunderland survivor.

Eugene Oregon here, not sure how many there were but yeah nickel arcades ruled.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't quite remember if my local arcade, Fun World in Sanford, had Revolution X. When I went as a kid I rotated between the Terminator 2 game, Lucky & Wild, and Mad Dog McCree 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OOP-1WHSKE

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Lucky and Wild Arcade Cabinet is incredible and I can't believe that design didn't take more.

Focusing in hard on my arcade memories lately have renewed my anger at how loving much crap Midway games like Area 51 and Cruisn' World were everywhere in the late 90s.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

The Lucky and Wild Arcade Cabinet is incredible and I can't believe that design didn't take more.

Focusing in hard on my arcade memories lately have renewed my anger at how loving much crap Midway games like Area 51 and Cruisn' World were everywhere in the late 90s.

I played those a lot too. On one field trip to a roller rink in elementary school I fell and sprained my wrist, so I just spent all my quarters on Area 51: Site 4.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Time Crisis and time crisis 2, was my quarter addiction...

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

chitoryu12 posted:

It's set in a world where rock music is outlawed.

This made me laugh, because "a world where music is banned" is literally the ONE idea anyone can come up with whenever they try to write a story, a game, a pretentious concept album, or pretty much anything based on rock music.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Arcade games! This happened a few weeks ago.

Sweet! X-Men!

Goddammit what the hell

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sweevo posted:

This made me laugh, because "a world where music is banned" is literally the ONE idea anyone can come up with whenever they try to write a story, a game, a pretentious concept album, or pretty much anything based on rock music.

There's always The Wall.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

chitoryu12 posted:

There's always The Wall.

An arcade game about letting your cigarette burn down to the filter without ashing may not be compelling to some but at least it's challenging

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Bobby Digital posted:

Arcade games! This happened a few weeks ago.

Sweet! X-Men!

Goddammit what the hell

A friend I used to live with bought the 6-player X-Men machine from a local arcade for $300 in like 2008. Every single party we had music/conversation punctuated by Colossus' power move yell of "UUUGGGHHH" every 30 seconds.

It ruled.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Same except instead of buying the game my buddy and I just went to an arcade and beat it. Then as an inside joke we would just do that noise randomly. People thought we probably had Tourettes or something. It still owned.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

There’s a scene from Mr. Bean where he’s in an arcade playing one of those penny waterfall games. In the background at one point, you hear Colossusm’ UGGGGGGGGH right in the middle of the scene

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Antioch posted:

I still have a crush on Christina Ricci.

I mean, anyone who says they don't is a drat liar.

Arcade:
The discount movie theater across town had a small arcade with Marvel Vs Capcom but it was somehow borked in such a way that you could only pick Dazzler (or maybe Jubilee? gently caress, I dont remember). They had the Aerosmith game, but that one was all the way hosed with the controls being non-responsive, so it would endlessly just play the menu and demo mode and act like a 1 track jukebox for the arcade hovel (which I thought was great). A few years later the local chain video rental place had an ultra mega clearance sale and had 1 copy of Revolution X on super nintendo for $1.50 and I was like OH gently caress YEAH I'm finally gonna get to play this loving game. And... it was bad. SO bad. I've since played it in an arcade, and as an upright arcade game it has its own weird charm, but the Super Nintendo version is just awful.
I still have it in a box somewhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Simpsons Arcade Game is hilarious because they put it out after season 1 came out and so they only have Season 1 characters to work off so its full of weird versions of characters and even weird background characters.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ryonguy posted:

Had an extra level in it even. Probably as an apology.

Two levels actually. The Snow level and the Dojo level were both NES exclusives.

PhotoKirk posted:

That game was usually sitting unused at the arcade when I was in college. Same setup as the T2 game that was usually busy.

Maybe they should have done a time travel game when you could go back to when Aerosmith was cool?

I got curious about this and opened up Ye Olde Wikipedia. Aerosmith was kinda cool from the 70's until about 1993. The 70's were definitely the golden era, things got spotty in the 80's, and then they released Cryin' in '93, and became the lame as poo poo power ballad band we know today.

Revolution X was released in 1994.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Two levels actually. The Snow level and the Dojo level were both NES exclusives.

I got curious about this and opened up Ye Olde Wikipedia. Aerosmith was kinda cool from the 70's until about 1993. The 70's were definitely the golden era, things got spotty in the 80's, and then they released Cryin' in '93, and became the lame as poo poo power ballad band we know today.

1993 was also a resurgence of “Dude looks like a lady” for Mrs Doubtfire.

1998 was that awful but popular song “I don’t want to miss a thing” which definitely fits.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

Amazing, Cryin', and Crazy are all basically the same song...all from "Get a Grip," the album with the pierced cow teet.

And let's be honest, having Alicia Silverstone and Liv Tyler in the music videos didn't hurt, either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

Amazing, Cryin', and Crazy are all basically the same song...all from "Get a Grip," the album with the pierced cow teet.

And let's be honest, having Alicia Silverstone and Liv Tyler in the music videos didn't hurt, either.

I don't remember amazing, but now that you say that, you're definitely right about Crazy, I think I lumped them together in the bin of crappy songs. I definitely remember both getting a ton of airplay for a while and always being baffled that they were supposed to be "good songs."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't remember amazing, but now that you say that, you're definitely right about Crazy, I think I lumped them together in the bin of crappy songs. I definitely remember both getting a ton of airplay for a while and always being baffled that they were supposed to be "good songs."

It makes sense when you realize Aerosmith's original Boomer fans in the 70's were now entering middle-age, and thus needed something that was SLIGHTLY edgier than Michael Bolton in a vein attempt to still appear cool.

A bland-as-gently caress, drug-free Aerosmith was perfect cause they cold feel like they were still clinging to their teenage, hard-rockin' roots, defying "The Man", while actually being "The Man" and systematically dismantling every social and economic benefit they had as young adults to slightly enrich themselves more.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is just who-cares aside but every time I read "Hillary Duff" for the past 20 years (admittedly not very often) I thought it was "Duff" the 1990s MTV person until I just came across a picture of "Hillary Duff" and oh of course it's not the same person, how could it be.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Iron Crowned posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7X8OQ7BEqM

This was my jam back in the day.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A good Aerosmith song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqQn2ADZE1A

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

They'd make another good song with "Nine Lives" a few years later, which I first got introduced to in the Dead or Alive 3 opening cutscene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHJHdtAlM5I

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrBouvenstein posted:

And they're clearly young lesbians on the run too. It's not exactly subtle but I still think it went over most peoples heads.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

DrBouvenstein posted:

It makes sense when you realize Aerosmith's original Boomer fans in the 70's were now entering middle-age, and thus needed something that was SLIGHTLY edgier than Michael Bolton in a vein attempt to still appear cool.

A bland-as-gently caress, drug-free Aerosmith was perfect cause they cold feel like they were still clinging to their teenage, hard-rockin' roots, defying "The Man", while actually being "The Man" and systematically dismantling every social and economic benefit they had as young adults to slightly enrich themselves more.

This may be true, but Aerosmith was pretty popular when I was in high school in the early 90’s

Early stuff like ragdoll was still awesome.
They cratered the aforementioned boomers heads by teaming up with Run DMC for “walk this way”
The Pump album

They were legit, at least where I came from and had a rotation in my CD player alongside STP, Pearl Jam and RHCP among others of course :)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

namlosh posted:

This may be true, but Aerosmith was pretty popular when I was in high school in the early 90’s

Early stuff like ragdoll was still awesome.
They cratered the aforementioned boomers heads by teaming up with Run DMC for “walk this way”
The Pump album

They were legit, at least where I came from and had a rotation in my CD player alongside STP, Pearl Jam and RHCP among others of course :)

Not sure if :thejoke: or not, but Ragdoll wasn’t an early song from the 70s like Sweet Emotion or the original Walk This Way. It was released in 1988 and was very much part of their late 80s/90s revival.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Remember when popular high school drama club show Glee had "Dream On" in an episode directed by Joss Whedon starring Neil Patrick Harris?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Iron Crowned posted:

SNL rolled those all in to one

https://twitter.com/artiefox/status/900155318604374016?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

And like basically every SNL skit, its about a minute too long.

I know i've talked about this before but I am still amazing what a cultural force SNL was in the 90s. Like almost all comedy of the decade can be directly tied back to it in some way.