Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

1. Hotwire is still alive, debunking a bunch of earlier theories we had in this thread
2. For whatever reason Isabel isn't living with her parents or apparently in contact with them. Was she sent off to toughen up with Francisco, or what?
3. Mr. Guerra has black spectral energy, Penny has white. This is the first White spectral energy we've seen in the comic so far, and it's implied to be a big deal. Guerra having black is "fairly common!" but I wonder if he'll end up interacting with Max in some way because of it.
4. Mr. Guerra is apparently continuing his father's family business (training spectrals) on his own.
5. Something about Penny here in the final panel is reminding me of the angelic figure that Doorman and the bunnies were talking about.
5a. Oh, it's probably just implication from the antique shop being Angel's Antiques. Isabel's dad is probably named Angel.
6. Check out Penny's fencing stance in the final panel. (Also note: a leftie. Left-handed fencers tend to have a better start of it than right-handed fencers since they get much more practice fencing righties than righties get fencing lefties.) Now check this jab flurry out from Chapter 5. Nice remise, Penny.
7. How did Penny get the lantern? The classic crash-and-snatch trick.. You can see the lantern in Panels 3 and (just barely) 8. Panel 9: Penny's left arm/hand (recall earlier note about her being a lefty) isn't visible -- she's holding the lantern behind her back, out of sight. Panel 9, she's looking at Mina stomp away with an unusual expression -- not the type of expression someone who'd just gotten smacked in the face would have.

IUG posted:

Here's the page where she probably lifted the lantern, she had it on her belt in the first few panels, but you don't see it after they collide.

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-218

Glad we came to the same conclusion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

penny's terrible joke in response to 'wurst sandwich' really should've clued us in

EDIT: i think after this arc is over i'm gonna compile all the radio dialogue and see how badly it reads when its laid out end to end

Patware fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 1, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WAIT.

WAIT!!

Ultra-spunky blonde woman with a penchant for getting into trouble and investigating things that she shouldn't be. Acts dumber than she actually is when necessary/convenient. Aesthetic: bubbly, pink, white.

Miss....... Suzy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Suzy Spender

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 1, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

WAIT.

WAIT!!

Ultra-spunky blonde woman with a penchant for getting into trouble and investigating things that she shouldn't be. Acts dumber than she actually is when necessary/convenient. Aesthetic: bubbly, pink, white.

Miss....... Suzy.

Are you thinking Rich has two sisters? I mean it's possible, there's a lot of mystery surrounding Richard Darkstorme Spender.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

Are you thinking Rich has two sisters? I mean it's possible, there's a lot of mystery surrounding Richard Darkstorme Spender.

To be explicit about what I suspect, I think Suzy is Penny's daughter and that part of what's motivating her whole deal in figuring out what the hell the Activity Club is up to is because she wants to know what her uncle is doing. Given her grudge against the Activity Club, it stands to reason that she'd be embarrassed about any connection to it, even a familial one -- so keeping her last name a mystery (except to Lisa, apparently) fits with that.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

I like that Zack felt the need to link the relevant comics to show this wasn't a complete asspull

I figured it was more of a reminder of who these characters were considering Penny showed up 3 (going on 4) years ago and Mr. Guerra showed up 5 (going on 6!!!) in one panel

Shoot I forgot Isabelle's last name was Guerra so I was like "garcia? was his name garcia guerra? probably??" and thought he was related to garcia

IUG posted:

Here's the page where she probably lifted the lantern, she had it on her belt in the first few panels, but you don't see it after they collide.

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-218

and you conspiciously never see her left arm
zach does it again!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

6. Check out Penny's fencing stance in the final panel. (Also note: a leftie. Left-handed fencers tend to have a better start of it than right-handed fencers since they get much more practice fencing righties than righties get fencing lefties.) Now check this jab flurry out from Chapter 5. Nice remise, Penny.
7. How did Penny get the lantern? The classic crash-and-snatch trick.. You can see the lantern in Panels 3 and (just barely) 8. Panel 9: Penny's left arm/hand (recall earlier note about her being a lefty) isn't visible -- she's holding the lantern behind her back, out of sight. Panel 9, she's looking at Mina stomp away with an unusual expression -- not the type of expression someone who'd just gotten smacked in the face would have.

It's details and foreshadowing like this I appreciate in comics/manga. The kind of stuff you aren't paying attention to that's more important than initially measured. Can't say I thought anything odd about stabbing at the fly years ago.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it was weird. Who the gently caress stabs at flies with a pen

No one else ever reacted to how weird that was though so I just kind of forgot about it

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Patware posted:

penny's terrible joke in response to 'wurst sandwich' really should've clued us in

EDIT: i think after this arc is over i'm gonna compile all the radio dialogue and see how badly it reads when its laid out end to end

This was a decent excuse as any to reread the chapter so here's everything he says up to now https://pastebin.com/FrAMZkm0
and here's one without the page breaks https://pastebin.com/4Af5sidH

Spoiler i still do not care about the color commentary from bigfoot but drat what a good chapter and oh man do i want to know more about chupacon '99.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

remind me why the lantern is important again

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Train spirit

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

fractalairduct posted:

It’s a tool that houses the only spirit that can get through the barrier

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

It has the train spirit in it and the train is the only way for spectrals/spirits to enter or leave Mayview since the barrier is up. But it needs time to reabsorb power to do anything

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

WAIT.

WAIT!!

Miss....... Suzy.

loving lmao if true.

Somebody get Zack a no poo poo actual robot wrist already because as hard as i try to get annoyed and drop the comic due to how loving slow things are going they keep hitting me with wild rear end twist after wild rear end twist and I wanna see if the motherfucker can stick the landing before we all die.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zack pay crowdfund an illustrator

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

More circumstantial evidence supporting the "Suzy Spender" theory:

Mr. Spender is obsessed with "for the greater good".

Suzy screams at Max "I am the lesser evil!" (and I'd wager that's going to be Penny Spender's whole deal, especially given how she's training with Angel instead of with Francisco.)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-158

Based on this reveal and panel 3-6 I now declare Suzy to also be a Spender

e.fb goddamn

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rick Spender is 26 years old. Suzy is 13 years old. Penny seems pretty young too. So she'd be, what, a sister?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A clone born 13 years ago, penny and rick are twins

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Suzy's terrible secret that she tries so hard to hide, according to Lisa, being she's related to the dorkiest teacher in the school would be very fitting.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SKULL.GIF posted:

To be explicit about what I suspect, I think Suzy is Penny's daughter
Suzy is presumably 13 like the rest of her class, Rich Spender is 26, I dunno how old Penny Spender is supposed to be but she really doesn't look older than her brother.

Now it's not impossible for a girl to become a mom far too soon, but it still seems unlikely. If Suzy is actually a Spender, I'd rather bet on siblings. There's a 12 year spread between the oldest and the youngest of my siblings, so I wouldn't find it strange if Penny was the middle child, something like Rick 26, Penny 20, Suzy 13? Plausible to me.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Penny also has to be way younger than Richard or else Dr. Zarei would have probably recognized her from childhood.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I thought it was weird. Who the gently caress stabs at flies with a pen

No one else ever reacted to how weird that was though so I just kind of forgot about it

It helps that so much of Mayview is low-key weird all over the place. I mean, this chapter we just found out the entire police force is in thrall to a vampire, and they busted a wealthy woman who stole dogs to power a bitcoin rig and whose husband is a washed-up radio DJ, and presumably their family has nothing to do with spectrals.

Well, their child might be a vampire now. Or a ghost.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 1, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Suzy could also be something like a niece, which would also imply a fourth spender!
It's spenders all the way down!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Twibbit posted:

Penny also has to be way younger than Richard or else Dr. Zarei would have probably recognized her from childhood.

My vote:

Rich Spender 26
Penny Spender 18-20
Suzy Spender 13

That seems like a decent spread of years to have kids over.

Or Suzy could be a niece as mentioned above.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man that girl is one suss Spender.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Penny is obviously a time displaced Suzy who came back in time using spectral energy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If Rich Spender is 26 then an older brother/sister at 32 or older would give a non-worrying 13 year old child.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
It's pretty obvious who she is y'all.

She and Rick are shards created when a non-binary spectral tried to use their spirit to remove every bit of gender from their body obviously.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

3. Mr. Guerra has black spectral energy, Penny has white. This is the first White spectral energy we've seen in the comic so far, and it's implied to be a big deal. Guerra having black is "fairly common!" but I wonder if he'll end up interacting with Max in some way because of it.

I am wrong!

Boss Leader has white spectral energy:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Splicer posted:

If Rich Spender is 26 then an older brother/sister at 32 or older would give a non-worrying 13 year old child.

Penny doesn't look old at all, but Guerra Jr. looks to be in his late 40s or 50s so even though he refers to her as "young lady" it's entirely possible that she's a 32-year-old single mom working a lovely waitress job to support her troublesome child. It would also make more sense why they know each other if they met before Guerra Jr. got old.

However, unless I'm mistaken, we're pretty sure that Guerra Jr. is Isabel's father. And she's 13 too.

Not impossible, just a weird coincidence if he's really that old and also has a child of the same age as Penny's theoretical one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Penny doesn't look old at all, but Guerra Jr. looks to be in his late 40s or 50s so even though he refers to her as "young lady" it's entirely possible that she's a 32-year-old single mom working a lovely waitress job to support her troublesome child. It would also make more sense why they know each other if they met before Guerra Jr. got old.

However, unless I'm mistaken, we're pretty sure that Guerra Jr. is Isabel's father. And she's 13 too.

Not impossible, just a weird coincidence if he's really that old and also has a child of the same age as Penny's theoretical one.
I was theorising a third, older Spender, but lovely single mom job makes sense. Also I just remembered they're all 12, hence the whole "lol Isaac's a teenager" thing. So there's another year shaved off!

Twibbit posted:

Eh, when you're 13 (TEENS!!!) kids even just a couple of years younger or older than you can be more forces of nature/buzzing insects than people.

e: ha it's only been 24 hours since the comic updated and yet:
https://paranatural.fandom.com/wiki/Mr._Guerra
https://paranatural.fandom.com/wiki/Penny_Spender

e2: fuckin' scrubs the trivia hasn't been updated
https://paranatural.fandom.com/wiki/Boss_Leader

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 1, 2020

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
So how many twists and reveals has there been in this chapter? Hell, even in the last ten or so pages alone? The police are vampiric thrall-fanboys, the mean teens who were attempting to shoplift are vampires, the fortune teller lady is part of the death cult, werewolves are probably a thing, ALIENS are a thing??? Hijack is alive too?? :psyboom:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Boo

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hissssss!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I swear at this comic a lot

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Rich Spender, Penny Spender, and Sue Spender.

That's definitely quite a trio of names.

This is an exceptionally long and packed chapter, but considering I'd like to know where this is all going I'm genuinely worried about adding this many new characters at this stage in the game...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't wait to find out in 15 years whether or not Suzy is a Spender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Who What Now posted:

I can't wait to find out in 15 years whether or not Suzy is a Spender
You’ll find out sandwiched the revelations that Max’s little sister is a shinobi and Ed was actually dead this whole time somehow

Edit: I forgot that there’s a believable theory that grandpa Guerra is dead. This comic is hard to joke about

Fecha fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 2, 2020