Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone know of a good list of senate races that are likely to be competitive this year? I'm setting aside a chunk of my tax return, wanna donate it as efficiently as I can. Not rich so that'll probably be the only money I have to give. Figured I'd split the donations up 50/50 between Bernie and senate candidates. Trump might end up winning the EC but at least if we have the senate he can't do nearly as much damage.

I think the EC is more favorable to Dems than the Senate this year, as it looks so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

Wait so there's still gonna be trial stuff before it? I've kinda zoned out since they decided to go full sham.

"Senate punts final vote in Trump trial to next week"

"The president agreed to the delay. "

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/31/trumps-impeachment-trial-could-extend-into-next-week-109937

So some eager Senators should be able to fly out to campaign in the mean time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sexpig by night posted:

Wait so there's still gonna be trial stuff before it? I've kinda zoned out since they decided to go full sham.
They are going to do closing arguments/statements and then actually do the final vote

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I got the flu shot this year and was hospitalized with the flu.
It was about a week into the new year, just in time to not count towards last year's deductible.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Romney doesn't have to worry about being primaried, so he's looking ahead to 24. If Trump gets a second term, Romney has no chance at the nomination whatever he does. If trump loses Romney's established his credentials as the return to sanity candidate.

Romney will almost certainly never run for potus again and if he does, he will get savaged. Trumpists (90% of the GOP) LOATHE him. Any time he posts anything even fully apolitical on FB he gets thousands and thousands of vile, hateful threats in the comments section. Senator is as far as he'll ever get.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I was always surprised the White Horse President and general Mormon weirdness never got dragged out in 2012 but I don't think any presidents are going to Hie To Kolob any time soon, especially with the distaste for whacko godbotherer bullshit normal people are starting to develop.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone know of a good list of senate races that are likely to be competitive this year? I'm setting aside a chunk of my tax return, wanna donate it as efficiently as I can. Not rich so that'll probably be the only money I have to give. Figured I'd split the donations up 50/50 between Bernie and senate candidates. Trump might end up winning the EC but at least if we have the senate he can't do nearly as much damage.

Maine, Arizona, North Carolina, both Georgia seats, Kentucky at least. Texas, Alabama and perhaps South Carolina could be close as well.

Alot of these races don’t have a Democratic nominee yet though so it is worth waiting until the primary is done first.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/mediametas/status/1223444408055451650

You better watch yourself, you inbred hick.

We're coming for you. It's gonna blow up in your face

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Midgetskydiver posted:

Romney will almost certainly never run for potus again and if he does, he will get savaged. Trumpists (90% of the GOP) LOATHE him. Any time he posts anything even fully apolitical on FB he gets thousands and thousands of vile, hateful threats in the comments section. Senator is as far as he'll ever get.
Yeah he'll never make it out of a primary. He's too much of a milquetoast old-school Business GOP guy, whereas the party has been taken over by the frothing rage monsters of the Tea Party and their associated spawn for more than a decade. 2012 was his only real chance.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah he'll never make it out of a primary. He's too much of a milquetoast old-school Business GOP guy, whereas the party has been taken over by the frothing rage monsters of the Tea Party and their associated spawn for more than a decade. 2012 was his only real chance.

The man can't even post poo poo like "happy anniversary to my wife" without people threatening to shoot him if they ever get the chance. I mean good, gently caress him, but it will never not shock me to see people who voted for someone in 2012 threaten to murder that person a few years later.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Willo567 posted:

amen to that. lets nail all of these pricks and throw them out onto their asses.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Midgetskydiver posted:

The man can't even post poo poo like "happy anniversary to my wife" without people threatening to shoot him if they ever get the chance. I mean good, gently caress him, but it will never not shock me to see people who voted for someone in 2012 threaten to murder that person a few years later.
Facebook is a hell of a drug

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Djarum posted:

Maine, Arizona, North Carolina, both Georgia seats, Kentucky at least. Texas, Alabama and perhaps South Carolina could be close as well.

Alot of these races don’t have a Democratic nominee yet though so it is worth waiting until the primary is done first.

Don't forget Colorado. And I'd keep an eye on Kansas if Pompeo doesn't decide to run after all.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

amen to that. lets nail all of these pricks and throw them out onto their asses.

Even though he's a monster himself, I hope Bolton puts out more incriminating poo poo on Trump.

It would be GLORIOUS if Bolton confirmed that Graham was in on this poo poo.

Remember when Graham said that Republicans would punish the Democrats in 2018 for Kavanaugh, and the exact opposite happened?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
"It's Their Lifeline": Video of ER Doctor Confronting Mike Pence Over Trump Medicaid Cuts Viewed 1 Million+ Times
commondreams.org/January 31, 2020
'An emergency physician Thursday night confronted Vice President Mike Pence at a restaurant in Iowa over the Trump administration's newly unveiled plan to allow states to block-grant Medicaid, a move that could strip essential healthcare coverage from millions of vulnerable people.

"I work in one of the poorest counties in Michigan and my patients depend on expanded Medicaid, so how is that going to affect my patients?" Dr. Rob Davidson asked Pence at Drake Diner in Des Moines, where the vice president made an unscheduled stop.

Pence expressed surprise, claiming he "hadn't heard about cuts to Medicaid," even though the White House plan was announced to widespread outrage just hours earlier.'

The Long, Uneasy Wait Is Over: Parties, Protests And Solemn Silence Greet Brexit
npr.org/January 31, 2020
"By this reporter's very rough tally, NPR has run well over 1,000 pieces about Brexit -- both on air and online — since the U.K. shocked the world with its vote to leave the European Union more than 3 1/2 years ago. And not one of those stories could responsibly utter this simple, definitive statement: Brexit is happening today."

Multiple Arrests Reported At Anti-Police, Anti-MTA Fare Protest Amid Acts Of Subway Vandalism
cbslocal.com/January 31, 2020
"The demonstration was organized by a group that called across social media for a mass sabotage of the MTA."

Cop-hating protesters cause chaos, vandalism in city’s subway system
nypost.com/January 31, 2020
"Cop-hating radicals wreaked havoc on New York City’s subways on Friday — vandalizing turnstiles, station walls and buses to protest a police crackdown on turnstile jumping.

The agitators — who want police completely out of the subways and transit to be free — secured emergency gates open with bike locks, zip-ties and violin strings, rendered turnstiles useless with glue and spray paint and littered buses, stations and trains with ““F–k cops, f–k MTA,” “Free transit ” and other anti-cop, anti-MTA messages"

The irresistible resiliency of Iraq’s protesters
brookings.edu/January 31, 2020
"Iraq’s protest movement has been remarkably resilient. For months now, tens of thousands of Iraqis across Baghdad and the south have mobilized against the government, demanding better services, accountability, and wholesale reform of the Iraqi state. Since the protests erupted, more than
600 have been killed and thousands more have been injured, according to human rights organizations. The fallout over Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani’s assassination was expected to signal the death-knell of the movement, but even that has failed to decisively end what is arguably Iraq’s biggest grassroots socio-political mobilization in history.

Iraqis cannot be blamed for wanting more from their government. Their country is on the brink of a socio-economic implosion as a result of a youth bulge, economic degradation, and dilapidated infrastructure. The country’s population of more than 30 million is expected to reach 50 million in a decade. More than 60% of Iraqis are under 24, and 700,000 require jobs every year. Iraq’s ruling class has failed to respond to the demands of the population and simply no longer has the credibility, much less the capacity, to assuage its population despite the hundreds of billions of dollars that has been expended over the past decade."

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

On Coronavirus chat.

A lab in Australia was the 2nd lab, the first being a Chinese one, to grow and recreate the virus a few days ago.
Samples have been sent to other labs in Australia and they are working on a timeline of 16 weeks to develop a vaccine for it.
https://blog.csiro.au/understanding-coronavirus/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/chrisjollyhale/status/1223442238509850624?s=21

V good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At this point the Dem presidential candidates could just write off the whole trial and go to Iowa, right? So at least that’s solved.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

haveblue posted:

At this point the Dem presidential candidates could just write off the whole trial and go to Iowa, right? So at least that’s solved.

I'm sure Roberts would hold them in contempt for it or whatever mode of punishment there is that was not applied to all those GOP pissbabies who walked out over and over again.

Willo567 posted:

Scott and Graham are my senators and both got scathing letters from me today. gently caress them both.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Given the weekend break, yep.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

LeeMajors posted:

Scott and Graham are my senators and both got scathing letters from me today. gently caress them both.

They're not worthy of your time and attention. They're both bitter, lonely old fucks who are going to die alone

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Lager posted:

Don't forget Colorado. And I'd keep an eye on Kansas if Pompeo doesn't decide to run after all.

Colorado I didn’t list because it isn’t going to be competitive. Gardener signed his death warrant.

I did forget Kansas. As I said the other day I am not crazy about the likely Democratic nominee there but she is better than the alternative.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Willo567 posted:

They're not worthy of your time and attention. They're both bitter, lonely old fucks who are going to die alone

It took five minutes and I wanted to express that there are sane people in SC. Even if it falls on deaf ears.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

It took five minutes and I wanted to express that there are sane people in SC. Even if it falls on deaf ears.

I kind of want to do an elegant card with a giant "gently caress You" and blue glitter in it. Too much?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DreamingofRoses posted:

I kind of want to do an elegant card with a giant "gently caress You" and blue glitter in it. Too much?

You might give some intern a few moments of annoyance.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

You might give some intern a few moments of annoyance.

Would it be an intern who specifically signed up to work for Graham, or someone who's just assigned to him? I have a moral code.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Everyone hoping the GOP is going to face major consequences for this is deluding themselves. Any Democratic nominee is going to face considerable resistance from those outside of the Trump cult. There are plenty of Democrats who would rather their taxes stay low and their 401ks high under a Trump presidency, and there are plenty on the left who see the centrists as being just as bad as the republicans.

2018 was great because Trump was on the ballot for Democrats, and every constituency got a candidate tailor made to wherever they fall on the political spectrum. That is not going to be the case this year. Whoever gets the nomination is going to be deeply unpopular within their own party, going up against a completely united right wing cult. Flipping Michigan and Pennsylvania is not going to be enough, and Trump is polling basically even or better in the remaining states he needs to win.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

TyrantWD posted:

Everyone hoping the GOP is going to face major consequences for this is deluding themselves. Any Democratic nominee is going to face considerable resistance from those outside of the Trump cult. There are plenty of Democrats who would rather their taxes stay low and their 401ks high under a Trump presidency, and there are plenty on the left who see the centrists as being just as bad as the republicans.

2018 was great because Trump was on the ballot for Democrats, and every constituency got a candidate tailor made to wherever they fall on the political spectrum. That is not going to be the case this year. Whoever gets the nomination is going to be deeply unpopular within their own party, going up against a completely united right wing cult. Flipping Michigan and Pennsylvania is not going to be enough, and Trump is polling basically even or better in the remaining states he needs to win.

I don't know, I think a lot of people are pissed off enough, especially at their senators, to get their asses in gear. And, depending on what Trump thinks he can get away with next, there'll be more fuel for the fire.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

DreamingofRoses posted:

I don't know, I think a lot of people are pissed off enough, especially at their senators, to get their asses in gear. And, depending on what Trump thinks he can get away with next, there'll be more fuel for the fire.

The problem is the majority of those pissed off people are in blue states. The only GOP senators who have to worry about their vote are those who were weak enough to be concerned before impeachment kicked off. Even then, Trump strength against whoever is the nominee will probably carry a lot of the GOP over the line. There will be no repercussions for this, no matter how much we may want there to be.

Do you think any of those cowards would have voted the way they did if it was going to jeopardize their chances in the election? It’s pretty late for primaries to even be a serious concern unless a deep red state senator voted for removal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There will be a consequence during the elections. It’s stupid to think there won’t be.

The question is will they take steps to avoid that consequence if they are certain it will happen.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

2018 was great because Trump was on the ballot for Democrats
I've got some good rear end news about who's going to be on the 2020 ballot

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There will be a consequence during the elections. It’s stupid to think there won’t be.

The question is will they take steps to avoid that consequence if they are certain it will happen.

Consequences from who? There are probably more pissed off Democrats within a few blocks of NYC than in many of the states the GOP senators come from, and even those who face tough races like Collins and Gardener didn’t really have anything change for them.

All the anger in the world pulsing out of NY and CA doesn’t mean poo poo to Graham in SC. McConnell, who is the most responsible party in this sham trial, and already the second most disliked Senator is going to cruise to a double digit victory in his re-election.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

T. Bombastus posted:

I've got some good rear end news about who's going to be on the 2020 ballot

He wasn’t on the ballot to his cultists, much like Obama wasn’t during midterms.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TyrantWD posted:

TyrantWD posted:

The problem is the majority of those pissed off people are in blue states. The only GOP senators who have to worry about their vote are those who were weak enough to be concerned before impeachment kicked off. Even then, Trump strength against whoever is the nominee will probably carry a lot of the GOP over the line. There will be no repercussions for this, no matter how much we may want there to be.

Do you think any of those cowards would have voted the way they did if it was going to jeopardize their chances in the election? It’s pretty late for primaries to even be a serious concern unless a deep red state senator voted for removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSUV1nii5k

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

He wasn’t on the ballot to his cultists, much like Obama wasn’t during midterms.
Interesting, yeah I see your point. Personally I think the cultists are so loud online that we overrate their electoral power, but that theory hasn't really been tested yet. You're definitely right that a lot of people with "Vote Blue No Matter Who" in their twitter bios are going to have a hard pill to swallow if Bernie gets nominated.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

TyrantWD posted:

Didn't you say in 2018 that there wouldn't be a blue wave in November?

Your nothing matters attitude isn't helping anybody.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Willo567 posted:

Didn't you say in 2018 that there wouldn't be a blue wave in November?

Your nothing matters attitude isn't helping anybody.

This. I think there are way more made blues and indies than tyrant credits. I feel like the various post trump elections show that. Trumps gonna do dumber and worse poo poo.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

https://youtu.be/DMSHvgaUWc8

My personal favorite, it case one want's to be a bookmarkin'.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

DreamingofRoses posted:

Would it be an intern who specifically signed up to work for Graham, or someone who's just assigned to him? I have a moral code.

Nobody gets "assigned" to a senator's office. Maybe a temp agency places them but working there and collecting that check is still complicit acceptance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

CrazyLittle posted:

Nobody gets "assigned" to a senator's office. Maybe a temp agency places them but working there and collecting that check is still complicit acceptance.

Cool, I just wasn’t sure if they would be anything like the congressional pages.