Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

hemale in pain posted:

Some of those machines look harder than just using a axe to be honest

With that stuff, definitely. I'm in the process of splitting up the remains of a 125yo Sugar Maple, and it's no cake walk. 25 ton hydraulic splitter has stalled on some of the seriously knotty parts. The "unsplittables" are then cut into roughly woodstove size chunks with a chainsaw. Also, the poo poo you find in the wood. Maple sap taps, concrete, screw eyes, barbed wire, a chain can be destroyed in mere seconds. Yes, I'm wearing my PPE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

It's always perfectly straight-grained wood that's featured with these contraptions. Let's see how well it does with a knotty old piece of Maple, or Oak. That's where slow, but immense hydraulic pressure is your main weapon.

Like, given how hilariously huge and complex these things are, how hard would it be to just recreate an industrial firewood making machine?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's what I don't understand. Besides a surface level avoidance of hydraulics as something you don't understand, how do you end up building a 6ft diameter spinning wood chopper instead. No part of this seems easier or ideal or something a person should want. It doesn't even look cheap even if you have scrap metal access and a backyard welder.

There's multiple of these machines with different people running them, how does this become a thing you don't just mock agggggggggh.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I guess putting cleaning solution in a liquor bottle behind the bar isn't really a good idea?

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Popular-Metro-bar-allegedly-serves-cleaning-fluid-poisoning-3-567377871.html

You missed the best part!

quote:

6 News was told employees gave the two women vouchers after the incident.

Oh good! At least they got a voucher!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

iroc.dis posted:

Ah, nah I hadn't heard of them before. I'm jealous of your ability to see what the end of a big project is like. VCS shut down on me and I could only stand being at Vogtle for a year before getting the hell away from power plant construction. The company I'm with now does some multi family and commercial base building, a ton of data center base building, and a fair bit of government work, but our real bread and butter is interior up-fits/renovations. Basically I went from a single 8,000 person heavy industrial project to a bunch of interior renovations that average 20 people and only last 3 months. Its nice to have a life again.

I'll try to remember some of our ridiculous incidents. I know we had 2 legitimately serious incidents at VCS and 1 at Vogtle, plus a whole bunch of dumb stuff.

There’s a lot of doing more with less right now, and so much complacency. I’ve had to deal with 3 near misses and 2 first aids in the last 24 hours, which is more than the total for 1/1-1/29. People get careless about LO/TO on minor stuff, or spotting when they move their cranes, and all sorts of dumb poo poo like that. I’m looking forwards to this job being done and moving on to something smaller scale for a while. I’m even just working 8’s instead of 10’s because they’re trying to keep hours down but when I get home at the end of the day I am BEAT.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Funny thread about a very old bookstore's safety inspection...

https://twitter.com/Sotherans/status/1223193563867045888

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

That thread is probably bullshit but if it isn't: more like a tedious thread about the bookstore's intransigent management who think it's hilarious that they've never had the premises inspected to make sure it isn't a deathtrap for their staff. "Teehee the place is a giant fire hazard with no escape" get hosed mate.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

fatherboxx posted:

Demolition of the sports/concert arena here in St. Petersburg went way ahead the schedule
At least one poor guy failed to escape from the roof, so :nws: yall

https://twitter.com/NevskieNovosti/status/1223221404134510592
They've found what's left of him. Some of it.

The hunt is on for someone to blame.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Nenonen posted:

Cars are bridges. You step on one, and then step off, to get across.

i- but, that means-

no. no. jail for nenonen, jail for ten thousand years!!!!

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That thread is probably bullshit but if it isn't: more like a tedious thread about the bookstore's intransigent management who think it's hilarious that they've never had the premises inspected to make sure it isn't a deathtrap for their staff. "Teehee the place is a giant fire hazard with no escape" get hosed mate.

I had the same reaction. Triangle Shirtwaist Factory but make it twee.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Also the "haha I wonder if all those employees who got injured will sue us now!" feels incredibly hosed up!!

Haha! We've had so many people cripple themselves in this store!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, I admit I saw the cargo shorts but missed the crocs.

So did the heavy chunks of wood. Barely.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

big dyke energy posted:

Also the "haha I wonder if all those employees who got injured will sue us now!" feels incredibly hosed up!!

Haha! We've had so many people cripple themselves in this store!

Yeah I was amused when I thought it was a bystander but it was an employee, which drastically changes the tone.

This attitude should be a huge red flag to the readers of this thread.

Also my wife and I went to a bookstore in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. I think in Seattle, but maybe Vancouver BC. Books just stacked EVERYWHERE and anywhere, with narrow aisles and lots of dead ends.

It was like two stories like that. I was genuinely anxious the whole time because I felt so claustrophobic and I usually don't feel that way. My wife was just in love with the smell and I can't blame her there.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah I was amused when I thought it was a bystander but it was an employee, which drastically changes the tone.

This attitude should be a huge red flag to the readers of this thread.

Also my wife and I went to a bookstore in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. I think in Seattle, but maybe Vancouver BC. Books just stacked EVERYWHERE and anywhere, with narrow aisles and lots of dead ends.

It was like two stories like that. I was genuinely anxious the whole time because I felt so claustrophobic and I usually don't feel that way. My wife was just in love with the smell and I can't blame her there.

you are almost certainly referring to MacLeod's Books in Vancouver. The fire marshal threatened to shut them down a couple of years ago so they aren't as bad as they were.

it's certainly charming, but it's also a death trap. the basement is the worst: a labyrinth of shelves, only one staircase, which is narrow even before being covered in books, on the opposite side of the store from the only door. Don't think I've been down there since they cleaned up due to the aforementioned threat from the fire marshal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MacLeod's Books is hillarious. I think they shot an episode of Fringe in there

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/1223377239720349697

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

We're making a promo video, could you please put down your phone for one loving second, jesus McQynzyee

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

old version of that sign:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ekuNNN posted:

old version of that sign:

I don't think that's an older version, I think that was a difference in verbiage between the two different shuttle carriers - the upper photo is what's written on N911NA.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/I5CxaLy.mp4
Pants would be poo poo...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hi son!
Bi son!
:haw:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Holy poo poo. That place is one electrical fault away from being Fahrenheit 451 IRL.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't know about that specific store, but in most places the books aren't wired up to the mains.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GotLag posted:

I don't know about that specific store, but in most places the books aren't wired up to the mains.

Then how do you read them?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You have to plug them in yourself after you take them home.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Makeout Patrol posted:

you are almost certainly referring to MacLeod's Books in Vancouver. The fire marshal threatened to shut them down a couple of years ago so they aren't as bad as they were.

it's certainly charming, but it's also a death trap. the basement is the worst: a labyrinth of shelves, only one staircase, which is narrow even before being covered in books, on the opposite side of the store from the only door. Don't think I've been down there since they cleaned up due to the aforementioned threat from the fire marshal.

Baronjutter posted:

Holy poo poo. Yup that's the place!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Good news, they don't use electricity, they just good old candles and gas lamps.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

First catch of the year. They must have been really moving.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Holy poo poo. That place is one electrical fault away from being Fahrenheit 451 IRL.
Can’t you just cast an illumination spell?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Miaou posted:

This doesn't seem up to OSHA standards...

Edit: oh dear god

Shut up Meg posted:

I'm no doctor, but I am not sure this meets World Health Organisation standards:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/I352Bce.mp4

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

LifeSunDeath posted:

We're making a promo video, could you please put down your phone for one loving second, jesus McQynzyee

Hell no that‘s a feature he wants to show off! I‘d love to be able to gently caress around on the internet while slicing meat for hot pot

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Slightly nsfw as the poor guy obviously dies when be vanishes into the rubble
https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1223554830452625408

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Oh poo poo, I saw that video yesterday but my eyes focused on everything collapsing. Only now I noticed the welder trying to run away. Imagine being his buddy in the lift or the drone pilot who saw this as it happened :nms:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Boogalo posted:

First catch of the year. They must have been really moving.

Some people aren't taking Brexit well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The only reason he was out of that basket was a manager on the ground telling him to do so because it would have been faster. The crane operator was working blind.

Oh, and the press had a camera on the helmet of presumably the guy who died.
Not when he fell, just a few hours/minutes earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5c04Z5YnwQ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What a horrible way to go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://i.imgur.com/2Qm43wJ.mp4

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That was a good topgear special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Got to imagine that's how pontoon boat were invented.