Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How about equipment cards that can only be used on heroes but stick when they die? (ala all copies of a hero staying leveled up) it would give more incentive to run them and solve the classic problem of auras being negative card advantage.

I also miss units with active abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Qubee posted:

No matter how I play or what I do, I get steamrolled in this game. Out of about 15 games, I've won once. I either get terrible cards that I can't use, or my opponent pulls some ridiculous poo poo out the hat like ethereal clone spam or elusive attack spam so I just gotta sit there and eat a load of damage.

Any advice or tips? I really enjoy the game, and I'm trying to master the Darius / Spider Lady deck, but I just keep getting trounced and it's no fun. Matches don't even feel close. I used to play cards too quick so I've slowed down and actually tried to adapt to situations, but I manage to keep things neck and neck before they obliterate me and I'm just fighting for ground before losing.

Play the Demacia/Freljord starting deck, much better than the spider one if you don't have extra cards yet.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Qubee posted:

No matter how I play or what I do, I get steamrolled in this game. Out of about 15 games, I've won once. I either get terrible cards that I can't use, or my opponent pulls some ridiculous poo poo out the hat like ethereal clone spam or elusive attack spam so I just gotta sit there and eat a load of damage.

Any advice or tips? I really enjoy the game, and I'm trying to master the Darius / Spider Lady deck, but I just keep getting trounced and it's no fun. Matches don't even feel close. I used to play cards too quick so I've slowed down and actually tried to adapt to situations, but I manage to keep things neck and neck before they obliterate me and I'm just fighting for ground before losing.
Oh the starter decks are hopeless (I think that the spider one is the worst one?). Day one of the game launch I got a few wins with the jinx deck but I imagine thats not possible anymore.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Just a tip for when this eventually comes out on Android: if you sign up for Google Rewards you get a pretty regular and generous amount of Play Store credit for answering quick surveys based mostly on your location history. I've always figured if Google is tracking me anyway I might as well let them give me a pittance for it.

Anyway, if this works like other CCGs, you can then spend that Play Store credit to get gamebux in LOR for free (not counting your privacy and/or soul).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah I just looked at the starter deck since I hadn't deleted it and it's B A D.

If you're just starting I'd highly recommend taking the Demacia/Freljord basic deck and trying it out, then try swapping a few cards into it that you think will be good after every couple rounds. Braum and other Challenger-keyword cards are great for stopping Elusive spam, for example. Tryndamere is also a game-winner card on his own if you happen to draw him in the mid-late game. Alternatively if you want to try building a good deck check out this guy's youtube. He's one of the current meta-definers so people are copying his decks a lot. He has links to lots of different decks in his comments too, and he updates daily.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Generally there are two people who know the lore of Runeterra, those from before the great retcon and those after. As someone from before I do miss the original lore, it was kind of cool and I really don't see any reason it couldn't have remained with all the expansion, but it is what ti is.

Me and my friends still occasionally chuckle about the "old lore" when it crosses our minds.

One day, a wizard drowned in a swamp, he is now Karthus the Death Singer.
the end.

One day, Tryndamere's entire tribe was killed by a couple of mysterious cloaked strangers while he hid and was the only survivor, now he is the barbarian king.
The end.

And of course the old artwork that was worth a thousand words by itself, like gangplank's belly beard.

And of course, this timeless piece of lore.

quote:

Miss Fortune spills into the Great Hallway with the same tenacity that she spills into her silk blouse - both taxed to contain her

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 31, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Managed to make gold today! :toot: Immediately seem to have hit a brick wall though. Half (or more) of people I'm playing against are running Noxus Spiders now and it wrecks both of the decks I've built, (Noxus no block rush and Elusive aggro) I have 90% of a Noxus Spider deck myself but I'm losing most mirrors because I don't have enough of the Epic SI cards to really support it. Nor do I actually want to buy them because I don't really like SI.

Bit stumped, maybe Freljord frostbite? But I don't have any Ashes, sigh.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Is there a number of placement games or whatever you have to play before you get a rank bc I’ve played a couple of games of ranked mode and I’m not sure what the numbers I have actually mean

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Just tried this out, interesting take on the genre if nothing else. Based on the way you focus on one set of cards to unlock, would future expansions be new regions or just additional unlock levels for the current ones? I guess you could do a little of both.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Is there a number of placement games or whatever you have to play before you get a rank bc I’ve played a couple of games of ranked mode and I’m not sure what the numbers I have actually mean

You just start at Iron 4, 0 LP and start grinding up. If you haven't played league then it's Iron/Bronze/Silver/Gold/Plat/Diamond. Each has 4 divisions, with 1 being the best, and each division you go from 0 to 100 LP before promoting. If you lose you go down in a similar manner. There's also Master/Challenger which have leader boards and Challenger is usually capped at some number of people per region.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you dont lose ranks until plat i think, in runeterra

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You do not lose anything in Iron, once you get to bronze you do lose progress if you lose games and you can level down within a "metal" bracket, (from say, 3 to 4) there is some forgiveness though (you have to lose more than once at 0/empty bar to de-level.) I don't know if you can derank down from like Gold to Silver or whatever though.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mistaya posted:

You do not lose anything in Iron, once you get to bronze you do lose progress if you lose games and you can level down within a "metal" bracket, (from say, 3 to 4) there is some forgiveness though (you have to lose more than once at 0/empty bar to de-level.) I don't know if you can derank down from like Gold to Silver or whatever though.

It's be really weird if you could. I know you can't in MTG, can you lose ranks at 15/10/5 in Hearthstone?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

This isn't really true and you know it, Bard is also pretty absurdly powerful. Zoe is just extremely in tune with her Aspect, to the point where there's zero separation between Zoe and the Aspect of Twilight. Aurelion Sol is more powerful and had to be tricked by the Aspect of Twilight before it was Zoe to be imprisoned as he is now, with the crown using his own magic against him as a method of control.

i think you will find that not only is she incredibly in tune with her aspect, but she is also largely responsible for the imprisonment of the ascended into the darkin forms they are in now... but sure, lets say that. so? asol is still presently weaker than zoe, as zoe always comes out in top. zoe stays winning actually

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

My favourite part of the League of Legends Lore© is probably that one time they retconned my best boy Warwick into some lab experiment about sticking glowing dildos in your spine, or maybe that time they visually reworked my second best boy Trundle, completely changed his lore to push an event no one cared about and made my favourite skin in the game look like poo poo. Pretty riveting stuff.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The old Trundle lore was loving great and they killed him dead, it's very sad :(

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's amazing how often games in this end with me pushing forward my attackers and saying, "Unless he's got exactly the right bullshit, I win."

Narrator: He had the bullshit. I did not win.

Also, I noticed that I still got 100 XP even if I surrendered. Are barriers in place to prevent people from just surrender farming?

Imagined fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 1, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You earn a maximum of 700xp per day from surrendering. 100 for the first 4 games lost, and 50 for the next 6. It's not really possible to hit level 10 to get a free expedition token (and thereby a champion card) by surrender farming

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 1, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

pog boyfriend posted:

i think you will find that not only is she incredibly in tune with her aspect, but she is also largely responsible for the imprisonment of the ascended into the darkin forms they are in now... but sure, lets say that. so? asol is still presently weaker than zoe, as zoe always comes out in top. zoe stays winning actually

Zoe wasn’t the Aspect who imprisoned the Darkin it was the previous host. A Sol isn’t weaker than Zoe presently, he’s just unable to act against Targon without the crown then destroying stars in punishment.

mistaya posted:

You cannot go down from gold to silver they explicitly stated as such with the release FAQ for this period of testing.

Eraflure posted:

My favourite part of the League of Legends Lore© is probably that one time they retconned my best boy Warwick into some lab experiment about sticking glowing dildos in your spine, or maybe that time they visually reworked my second best boy Trundle, completely changed his lore to push an event no one cared about and made my favourite skin in the game look like poo poo. Pretty riveting stuff.

At least Warwick gets to be Zaunite Batman hunting down and punishing criminals. Which was what he wanted in the new lore anyway. As for Trundle I got nothing, I do like his new voice over though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I really hate to say this but this game made me download league :doh:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FallenGod posted:

Just tried this out, interesting take on the genre if nothing else. Based on the way you focus on one set of cards to unlock, would future expansions be new regions or just additional unlock levels for the current ones? I guess you could do a little of both.

I've not seen the source but heard from people in this thread that the plan is, at least at first, for each expansion to add a new region and then add some additional cards to other regions to give them synergy with the new one. One of the design goals for the game was to make each region have some aspect that plays well with each other region and they want to keep going forward with that as they add new ones. I think it's a really exciting way to build on a card game, because while games like Hearthstone and Magic have changed a lot they haven't added, like, new classes and colors. As for the upgrade paths I'm not sure if they plan on expanding them or resetting them or leaving them the same or what.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My gut feeling is they'd reset the region tracks each season so people can use them to get the new cards. Extending them would probably go against the stated goal of it being possible for everyone to build a complete card collection without hard grinding before season's end if they maintain the later stages XP requirement growth.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I keep playing normal instead of ranked because it's defaulting to the wrong last played :argh:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Imagined posted:

It's amazing how often games in this end with me pushing forward my attackers and saying, "Unless he's got exactly the right bullshit, I win."

Narrator: He had the bullshit. I did not win.

This Swim video has been pretty helpful to me and it specifically addresses that idea at one point. Basically, always assume your opponent has that bullshit and play accordingly. Not taking the risky play might cost you some games but it'll win you more.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This is the funniest loving thing I have ever or may ever do in this game. I have poo poo and all for defenders and it's round 9, Karma is on the board. I have two mystic shots and a get excited in hand. He will kill me if he just attacks when the round starts. I wait, silent and patient. Round ends. Karma gives me another mystic shot for her end of round and then flips to x2 spell casts. I wait. He puts out all his men. They will destroy me.

I place
one
two
three mystic shots
and a get excited.

Jinx yells "EVERYBODY GOES BOOM!"

Props to the poor bastard for letting the whole cycle go off instead of surrendering it and depriving me of watching it happen. Tryndamere murders my nexus as soon as the stack resolves but it is TOO LATE! I HAVE WON!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I can say I like about this game is it can make you feel smart when you bait someone into a trade and then activate your trap card, or how often you can pull a win outta your butt while sitting on 2 nexus HP, but boy do your misplays get punished extremely hard.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mistaya posted:

This is the funniest loving thing I have ever or may ever do in this game. I have poo poo and all for defenders and it's round 9, Karma is on the board. I have two mystic shots and a get excited in hand. He will kill me if he just attacks when the round starts. I wait, silent and patient. Round ends. Karma gives me another mystic shot for her end of round and then flips to x2 spell casts. I wait. He puts out all his men. They will destroy me.

I place
one
two
three mystic shots
and a get excited.

Jinx yells "EVERYBODY GOES BOOM!"

Props to the poor bastard for letting the whole cycle go off instead of surrendering it and depriving me of watching it happen. Tryndamere murders my nexus as soon as the stack resolves but it is TOO LATE! I HAVE WON!

I'm going to try including Karma as a one of in the Heimer Control deck instead of two Corinas. She gives so much reach, it's awesome

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

njsykora posted:

My gut feeling is they'd reset the region tracks each season so people can use them to get the new cards. Extending them would probably go against the stated goal of it being possible for everyone to build a complete card collection without hard grinding before season's end if they maintain the later stages XP requirement growth.

That's an official goal? Man what a change from Hearthstone

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

1stGear posted:

This Swim video has been pretty helpful to me and it specifically addresses that idea at one point. Basically, always assume your opponent has that bullshit and play accordingly. Not taking the risky play might cost you some games but it'll win you more.

I don't agree with everything in that video but the general advice is pretty solid. Making optimistic plays when you're losing and playing pessimistically when you're winning puts you in a good mindset for card games; there's just a lot of nuance to the latter part particularly. There are a lot of situations where you can have the potential win but gently caress yourself over by being too cautious

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Carecat posted:

That's an official goal? Man what a change from Hearthstone

From the beta economy update post, one of the explicit goals behind the progression system. It's the same thinking behind you getting gradually less and less XP the more you play in a day, a lot of XP is front loaded in your first 5-10 wins and losses (they both have different tracks, so even if you're on a winless day and already down to 0xp for losses which kicks in on loss #11 you're still looking at a full 600xp for your first win).

quote:

Ensure being “set complete” before the launch of the next set is achievable without spending a Coin, even if you’re not a streamer or a pro.

Incidentally I ran the numbers and if I did it right the max possible XP every day is 8,250, which I think would max out a vault in 3 days.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 1, 2020

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Studio posted:

Just don't play constructed ever :clint:

I, just now, got loving annihilated in my first ever draft game vs Ionia w/ counterspells, greenglade duo and a spell that summoned 2 copies of it

And that was before I had even read this thread. Also I actually had an answer with a challenger granting card but he responded and nullified it right away(can't remember how exactly)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gah so close and yet so far

I guess I shouldn't complain, I kinda bullshitted myself through the 2nd trial by just spamming elusives

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, I may not think Elusive is particularly overpowered in constructed, but as far as draft goes it’s definitely one of the strongest options just because answers for Elusive are harder to draft and have function.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm still learning stuff but comparing it to flying in magic seems a bit underselling it...flying vigilance maybe?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vigilance doesn't really have an equivalent in LoR because everything can attack and block constantly so long as it's alive. Flying is the right way of thinking about it I think, and having True Sight (the League ability to see characters in stealth) pop up as a keyword to be the reach equivalent wouldn't surprise me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I’m guessing the next set will be like 60% a new region and the other 40% will be adding support for the new mechanics in the current regions. Maybe add a champion to each focused on one of the new keywords

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It still blows my mind, in a good way, that they made a F2P game that only allows you to spend $15 a week.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So with about a week of experience, what do people think are the safest crafts for Champ and Epic? That is, the crafts that are likely to be good as long as you're in those colors, not really build arounds. This sort of thing can be helpful if someone is thinking about crafting toward a deck but they aren't sure if they want to spend the wildcards/dust.

Noxus: Darius and ???
Demacia: Garen and Judgement/Cithria?
Frejlord: Trynd/Braum and She Who Wanders
Shadow Isles: Elise and maybe Rhasa?
Ionia: Zed and The Empyrian
P&Z: No idea at all. P&Z is sort of all about that build around life

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Changing to the Braum / Tryn starter deck makes a huge difference. Games are actually fun now that I've got a decent chance of winning as long as I make the right calls. I enjoy when they attack and I just let them come through cause I know late-game I get really strong cards, and their overconfidence makes them throw cards away in pointless fights. Then I just pop the +3/+3 Demacia spell and have 4 cards with overwhelm that just obliterate the enemy nexus in one attack. And you never know what cards you'll get so adjusting playstyle is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Boxman posted:

So with about a week of experience, what do people think are the safest crafts for Champ and Epic? That is, the crafts that are likely to be good as long as you're in those colors, not really build arounds. This sort of thing can be helpful if someone is thinking about crafting toward a deck but they aren't sure if they want to spend the wildcards/dust.

Noxus: Darius and ???
Demacia: Garen and Judgement/Cithria?
Frejlord: Trynd/Braum and She Who Wanders
Shadow Isles: Elise and maybe Rhasa?
Ionia: Zed and The Empyrian
P&Z: No idea at all. P&Z is sort of all about that build around life
Fiora and Zed are the safest champion crafts in the game so far imo. They're solid units in strong factions and you have to look for a reason not to play them in decks that fit their curve.

Rhasa just plain belongs in any high curve shadow isles deck, Ledros I'd expect to usually be around as at least as a one-of option to win topdeck wars and to beat any slow silly decks.

Of the others, Braum and Elise have seen the most play so far, followed by Darius and then Hecarim (the most popular niche champion so far). The only other one I'd call out is that Karma has seen a surprising amount of play in Ionia/Demacia decks.

Epics outside of SI seem mostly nonessential so far, the most played have been Avarosan Hearthguard, Windfarer Hatchling, Judgement, and Dawnspeaker, but none of them seem essential.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 1, 2020