Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
it's over already??

wow, this was rather....disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

But enough about what uragz's Canadian gf says to him...

I should feel guilty about such a hackneyed joke but look who were talking about

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

zaurg posted:

I'm gonna start listening to Tnuctip just to irritate everyone even more. I just placed a $20 bill into this book, which is a great book btw:
https://www.amazon.com/Endure-Curiously-Elastic-Limits-Performance/dp/0062499866/

I'll probably forget the $20 is there.

Step 1 is dont sell the book for $10. Step 2 is that you wont forget about it if you do it every paycheck.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zaurg posted:

During my long run this morning I thought a bit about this thread, my philosophy on life in general, and a lot about the book I'm reading (Deena Kastor's book). I've made a decision.

I'm done with this thread. A past due separation, a divorce of the thread, if you will. The negativity is not good for me. It doesn't help. I thought I used to enjoy it, but I've come to the realization that I don't. It is a toxic thing in my life and I need to surround myself with more positivity. I will continue my quest of self-improvement at my own pace, I'm not throwing in the towel, but will continue to do so without the help of this thread. Keep it going without me if you wish, that's not my decision. Thank you BFC for the help with the progress I have made.

-zaurg

November 3 2018

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

doingitwrong posted:

November 3 2018

expectation: emotional, tearful goodbye and a chorus of, "no ruzag, don't go we'll miss you, and we're really trying to help with tough love!"

reality: "lol gently caress off shitheel"

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaveSauce posted:

expectation: emotional, tearful goodbye and a chorus of, "no ruzag, don't go we'll miss you, and we're really trying to help with tough love!"

reality: "lol gently caress off shitheel"

as I recall it was Zaurg closing the thread, burt opening it up again with a "oh no you don't", and a bunch of us going "lol you'll never leave"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

as I recall it was Zaurg closing the thread, burt opening it up again with a "oh no you don't", and a bunch of us going "lol you'll never leave"

You're thinking of a different time that he tried to leave.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doingitwrong posted:

You're thinking of a different time that he tried to leave.

probably.
oh well. we got a few days before he returns and mewls about us being right and how he will listen and do what we say this time.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Can we nuke the zitshit rules thread now? Does it really need to exist in the first place?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice meltdown

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Well until he comes back I think it’s finally time I check out the blue story thread.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Well until he comes back I think it’s finally time I check out the blue story thread.

Link to it plz if you can.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Can we nuke the zitshit rules thread now? Does it really need to exist in the first place?

Not a mod (lol not mod, u mod?), but there were a bunch of us who chased him around to other subforums mocking him until people told us to knock it off. Maybe it is us who are the zaurg.

Narrator: They weren't.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

tater_salad posted:

Link to it plz if you can.

Here’s the Blue Story story:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so far the best part of that thread is knyteguy giving advice on how to curb impulse spending and to carefully plan out purchases and trips so that you know for sure you have the money for them :allears:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
many people are saying it is surprising that i did not have to auto ban, well,

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Still reading the old thread.

Zaurg posted:

I know there are some very smart people in this thread who have tried to help and budgeting the way most of you want me to budget really works for many.

Please don't waste your time.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 27, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Hey Leng thanks again for the heads up on Pocketsmith, really nice tool

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzO2mi4uHAs&t=133s

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Bundy posted:

I really love the simplicity of it. It’s one of those tools that anyone can pick up and figure out. Surprising how powerful it is for such little thought needed to set it up.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I grabbed Pocketsmith to try it out, and it feels insane, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I added an account for a loan I have, which gave me an account with a negative balance, as well as my checking account with a positive balance. It then detected the payment transaction as an expense in the checking account and another transaction as an income in the loan account. Which makes sense, but it then totally makes everything else confusing by counting that as income, so it shows up in the income statement as more income rather than as paying down an existing debt.

The above also seems to confuse the expense pie graph at the start, which now no longer shows me that loan payment as an expense at all... it's just disappeared into the ether apparently as far as that graph is concerned?

The rules engine for categorization also seems hopelessly naive. My car loan logs interest as something with the payee "Interest", but my savings account also uses the same payee, so I can't see to add an automatic categorization that would actually filter these to different categories because the payee is exactly the same (but entirely different accounts).

It's also apparently imported 600+ transactions going back... a year in some accounts, less in other accounts and it really wants me to go through and categorize all of them.

Am I missing something? Is this how this software is supposed to work? It looks like there's a cool idea under the surface here, but right now I feel like I'm way too dumb to operate this software and I should just save the $15/month.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'd appreciate any tips on organising imported stuff. The graph on the dash reckons I've got way more money than I have presumably due to credit payments being marked as transfers? Is there a way to link things like that? It also seems bad at spotting duplicates, I imported YNAB after hooking up the bank feeds and a number of CC charges are now there twice. Like with YNAB I can see this getting some scrub/start again action as I understand the developer's intentions.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Bundy posted:

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I really love the simplicity of it. It’s one of those tools that anyone can pick up and figure out. Surprising how powerful it is for such little thought needed to set it up.

Except zaurg :v:

Glad you guys like it though! I had the same reaction myself when I found it.

Comrade Gritty posted:

I grabbed Pocketsmith to try it out, and it feels insane, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I added an account for a loan I have, which gave me an account with a negative balance, as well as my checking account with a positive balance. It then detected the payment transaction as an expense in the checking account and another transaction as an income in the loan account. Which makes sense, but it then totally makes everything else confusing by counting that as income, so it shows up in the income statement as more income rather than as paying down an existing debt.

The above also seems to confuse the expense pie graph at the start, which now no longer shows me that loan payment as an expense at all... it's just disappeared into the ether apparently as far as that graph is concerned?

You need to mark these transactions as transfers between accounts:
https://learn.pocketsmith.com/article/367-transfer-marking-in-pocketsmith

Basically when you have both an asset (checking) and a liability (loan) in Pocket Smith, it will apply double entry book keeping like a proper accounting software. In strict accounting terms, a loan payment is not an expense, it is a reduction of a liability. The true expense component of the loan is the interest.

You can set up transfer categories to budget the loan repayments as a way of monitoring cash flow.
https://learn.pocketsmith.com/article/132-dealing-with-transfers-in-pocketsmith

Comrade Gritty posted:

The rules engine for categorization also seems hopelessly naive. My car loan logs interest as something with the payee "Interest", but my savings account also uses the same payee, so I can't see to add an automatic categorization that would actually filter these to different categories because the payee is exactly the same (but entirely different accounts).

You need to create an actual filter, then you should be able to set rules with multiple parameters:
https://learn.pocketsmith.com/article/507-everything-you-need-to-know-about-filters

Comrade Gritty posted:

It's also apparently imported 600+ transactions going back... a year in some accounts, less in other accounts and it really wants me to go through and categorize all of them.

More so than other budgeting software, it really puts this in your face and it's actually a good practice. It uses what you've categorized as the basis for trends analysis and a few of the other features like forecasting.

If it bothers you a lot, pick a cut off date beyond which you won't categorize stuff and delete the transactions from Pocket Smith. Or do what I do, which is just chip away at 10 or so old transactions at a time. When you have your categorization rules and auto filters set up, you spend like zero effort categorizing news transactions so eventually you'll get them all.

Comrade Gritty posted:

Am I missing something? Is this how this software is supposed to work? It looks like there's a cool idea under the surface here, but right now I feel like I'm way too dumb to operate this software and I should just save the $15/month.

Don't feel dumb! The key is to persist and ask questions.

EDIT: ^^^

Bundy posted:

I'd appreciate any tips on organising imported stuff.

On that note, since a few others have started using Pocket Smith, should Pocket Smith chat go to a separate thread? I'm happy to get one going if there's interest.

Leng fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 1, 2020

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Zu_Rag has left this thread, which is totes fine because he wouldn't have listened to this hot take anyways:

McGill University is sort of well known for its business / economics / finance faculty, and as a way to pay-it-forward to the world at large, they offer a super-loving-stellar course on personal finance FREE to people who want to sign up. It is first-come, first-served, so if you wanted to learn how not to Zaurg Your Life(tm), you should sign up soon.

https://mcgillpersonalfinance.com/

Course starts today.

edit: Module 8 is called "Behavioural Finance". Almost pissed myself laughing about those words being used in this thread.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sputnik posted:

Zu_Rag has left this thread, which is totes fine because he wouldn't have listened to this hot take anyways:

McGill University is sort of well known for its business / economics / finance faculty, and as a way to pay-it-forward to the world at large, they offer a super-loving-stellar course on personal finance FREE to people who want to sign up. It is first-come, first-served, so if you wanted to learn how not to Zaurg Your Life(tm), you should sign up soon.

https://mcgillpersonalfinance.com/

Course starts today.

edit: Module 8 is called "Behavioural Finance". Almost pissed myself laughing about those words being used in this thread.

Someone here should audit the class and take notes for us.

Sadly I’m already auditing something else and cannot also do this one.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I registered. All the videos have transcripts so let me know what I should pull out.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'd read that thread Leng, thanks for the links

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finally signed up to YNAB a couple of days ago because of this thread and I can tell its going to be life-changing. I wasn't too bad with money but I realise my plan of just try to spend under X a month was basically the Zuarg plan and causing unnecessary stress when I had enough to pay for everything I wanted anyway.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Leng posted:

Except zaurg :v:

Glad you guys like it though! I had the same reaction myself when I found it.

You need to mark these transactions as transfers between accounts:
https://learn.pocketsmith.com/article/367-transfer-marking-in-pocketsmith

Basically when you have both an asset (checking) and a liability (loan) in Pocket Smith, it will apply double entry book keeping like a proper accounting software. In strict accounting terms, a loan payment is not an expense, it is a reduction of a liability. The true expense component of the loan is the interest.

You can set up transfer categories to budget the loan repayments as a way of monitoring cash flow.
https://learn.pocketsmith.com/article/132-dealing-with-transfers-in-pocketsmith

You need to create an actual filter, then you should be able to set rules with multiple parameters:
https://learn.pocketsmith.com/article/507-everything-you-need-to-know-about-filters

More so than other budgeting software, it really puts this in your face and it's actually a good practice. It uses what you've categorized as the basis for trends analysis and a few of the other features like forecasting.

If it bothers you a lot, pick a cut off date beyond which you won't categorize stuff and delete the transactions from Pocket Smith. Or do what I do, which is just chip away at 10 or so old transactions at a time. When you have your categorization rules and auto filters set up, you spend like zero effort categorizing news transactions so eventually you'll get them all.

Don't feel dumb! The key is to persist and ask questions.

EDIT: ^^^

On that note, since a few others have started using Pocket Smith, should Pocket Smith chat go to a separate thread? I'm happy to get one going if there's interest.

I’d appreciate it. I tried it and my credit card came up with a negative $45,0000 balance. Most of my transactions were categorized from using mint for years so I gave up troubleshooting for now.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Bundy posted:

I'd read that thread Leng, thanks for the links

savesthedayrocks posted:

I’d appreciate it. I tried it and my credit card came up with a negative $45,0000 balance. Most of my transactions were categorized from using mint for years so I gave up troubleshooting for now.

OK then! Hop on over here for PocketSmith chat:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913229

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
It's February!

I don't get what's so hard about setting aside some money per month.

Spending money/~30 days = daily spending amount.
If you blew the money that day, you can't afford it. Be poor, it's okay. For bonus points, have money left over so you can buy in bulk next month.

But what do I know? I'm young and naïve without all these crazy responsibilities going on.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I don't get what's so hard about setting aside some money per month.

None of the following applies to Zaurg. It's hard if you've never had to do it before (new to budgeting, major CoL increases or income reductions, etc), or if you're not used to having to balance budgets around the endless # of "one-off" things that show up each year (five weddings + family expects you to visit for Thanksgiving + Christmas + that dental work you needed + that anniversary getaway you promised your spouse + etc etc). It can take people a few budget cycles/years to get all that under control and especially to work up the nerve to tell their families 'no' to expenses outside their budget that are otherwise sentimental events to other people.

I went from "always way under budget" to "holy gently caress, what did I do?!?" when I moved to the bay area and my COL tripled in pretty much every possible area. It took me the better part of two years to get everything back under control again, and if I'm not very careful with my budgeting I can still gently caress it up hard really easily with how expensive everything is, and how none of our family outside the area understand that and get offended that we can't do (whatever they think we should be able to do) at the drop of a hat anymore.

That being said, it shouldn't take a loving decade to figure that poo poo out. It definitely shouldn't take a decade to even make the most basic attempts at figuring it out.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 3, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Serious question: I am being offered a new position at my employer. Would be a ~$45k reduction in base salary, same OTE, but more upside (and likely easier to hit/exceed OTE). Basically moving closer to sales, closer to customers in a new role at the company, and being paid on a small district number vs a huge country number. New quota would be like 1% of the old quota, and I would have a lot more direct control.

Problem: I did not budget for a huge hit to the base, but I can make it work for a time.

Worth the risk at big upside?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Serious question: I am being offered a new position at my employer. Would be a ~$45k reduction in base salary, same OTE, but more upside (and likely easier to hit/exceed OTE). Basically moving closer to sales, closer to customers in a new role at the company, and being paid on a small district number vs a huge country number. New quota would be like 1% of the old quota, and I would have a lot more direct control.

Problem: I did not budget for a huge hit to the base, but I can make it work for a time.

Worth the risk at big upside?

Will you still be able to afford the new BMW lease every year? If so, yes, go for it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Where’s your budget? The one for a February?

As for my sitch: one base paycheck would cover house and car stuff, and one would need to cover everything else, but some big yearly expenses (school, property tax, house repairs (painting this year) would need to be covered by variable income. I prefer to only live on my base salary and save all the rest, but it just wouldn’t be possible with this new style plan.

The upside would be multiple six figures a year, which I think makes it worth the risk.

For those of you not Zaurg, I’m interested in what you think. Talking with my maybe new VP this week, who hand picked me for this job.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Nice six figgie humblebrag.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
gently caress off zurg

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Where’s your budget? The one for a February?

As for my sitch: one base paycheck would cover house and car stuff, and one would need to cover everything else, but some big yearly expenses (school, property tax, house repairs (painting this year) would need to be covered by variable income. I prefer to only live on my base salary and save all the rest, but it just wouldn’t be possible with this new style plan.

The upside would be multiple six figures a year, which I think makes it worth the risk.

For those of you not Zaurg, I’m interested in what you think. Talking with my maybe new VP this week, who hand picked me for this job.

Feb budget has been set for a while, bro.

It seems like you're really into the new opportunity, Mango. Why not go for it? What's the downside? What's this new position look like 3-5 years out, compared to where you are now?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

n8r posted:

Nice six figgie humblebrag.

n8r, please be honest, would you still pay $1-3 bucks a month for a zaurg patreon? I've spent so much on SA I need to try to build a couple extra bucks a month to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
I think I'm saving too much into my retirement accounts. I should throttle it back a bit and put some more savings into a general savings account, shouldn't I?

Let me ask you guys a question. If you look at the total amount you save per month, what percentage of that is going into dedicated retirement accounts 401k/IRA?

Me? 82%. So if I saved $1000, $820 of that is going to loving retirement. $180 for other poo poo. That's not very balanced is it?