Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

However, Aerith is standing next to Yuffie, Tifa, Reeve, Dyne, and Wedge for "people with weird bullshit names that nobody much would actually have."
Rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard much better voicework from other Square games, like pretty much all of them. Except I guess Xenogears.

Xenogears voice acting was fantastic you JERK!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fister Roboto posted:

Xenogears voice acting was fantastic you JERK!!!

For some reason, Fei going "Right, I know you!" is stuck in my brain forever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I will never understand peoples weird hangup with th

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nihilarian posted:

I will never understand peoples weird hangup with th

I’ve heard some people complain it sounds like you’re talking with a lisp, but do the names Lilith, Meredith, and Gwyneth sound weird to them too?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

It's probably just because everyone was used to Aeris. But Aeris never sounded like a normal name, either.

How can anyone think the voice acting in other Final Fantasy titles was better when 10, 12 and all 13 games exist? Speaking of 13, I really hope they kept the dumbass Moe noises to a minimum in this...what is it with Japan and having to have characters make a noise with every movement of their body?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HD DAD posted:

I’ve heard some people complain it sounds like you’re talking with a lisp, but do the names Lilith, Meredith, and Gwyneth sound weird to them too?

Th sucks to pronounce as a non-native speaker and was the last thing I learned and only because someone was really adamant that I stopped pronouncing th as d. When looking for ways to pronounce it the number 1 tip was "place your tongue between your teeth" which incidentally was also something I learned in school never to do, so imagine my surprise.

As for the other names they're pronounced locally as Lilitch, Mereditch and Gwynef. Also, Sephirot. The Japanese never even bothered to get Sephiroth right (Sephiros) and it's unlikely they ever will. Don't really blame'm.

The irony is that they still get to pronounce Aeris/Earis so this is like the ultimate troll.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Elentor posted:

Th sucks to pronounce as a non-native speaker and was the last thing I learned and only because someone was really adamant that I stopped pronouncing th as d. When looking for ways to pronounce it the number 1 tip was "place your tongue between your teeth" which incidentally was also something I learned in school never to do, so imagine my surprise.

As for the other names they're pronounced locally as Lilitch, Mereditch and Gwynef. Also, Sephirot. The Japanese never even bothered to get Sephiroth right (Sephiros) and it's unlikely they ever will. Don't really blame'm.

‘Th’ is just one of those sounds that exists in a very limited number of Germanic languages, and is super hard for anyone who didn’t grow up with it to adopt. I remember (even as a native speaker) pronouncing it as ‘f’ until I was about 4 or so.

Kinda like the Japanese ‘r’, which is some monstrosity sitting somewhere between an ‘r’ and a ‘d’. That took me ages to get down.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Justice for Barett, who never gets this talk.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HD DAD posted:

‘Th’ is just one of those sounds that exists in a very limited number of Germanic languages, and is super hard for anyone who didn’t grow up with it to adopt. I remember (even as a native speaker) pronouncing it as ‘f’ until I was about 4 or so.

Kinda like the Japanese ‘r’, which is some monstrosity sitting somewhere between an ‘r’ and a ‘d’. That took me ages to get down.

I think every Japanese sound other than F is included in Portuguese so that's a pretty free language pronunciation-wise.

English on the other hand is like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For the record, S and Th are pronounced exactly the same in Japanese. It's a lesser known kinda L/R thing. Which is why this confusion exists in the first place.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

th sounds are generally pretty rare outside of the linguistic abomination that is English.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

th sounds are generally pretty rare outside of the linguistic abomination that is English.

Most languages are an amalgamation of dialects to some extent, but English truly is an abomination. The Saxons kept getting owned by everyone else, most notably the Normans, which led to something that sounded like they were trying to speak German and French simultaneously. Add a penchant for just making poo poo up with no rhyme or reason for a few hundred years and you officially get The Worst Language.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a good thing English has such basic set of rules and grammar to compensate for how nightmarish the pronunciation is.

Of course any ease the language has is quickly offset by the fact that I had to learn on a visceral level what the gently caress pounds, miles, inches, feet, and the fantastic base-12 measurement of feet+inches mean.

And someday, maybe, I'll know what fahrenheit means by just looking at the numbers

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wait, are we seriously having the same loving conversation in two different threads?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not, but I'm sure this exact same conversation is going on simultaneously in multiple threads across the Internet and will remain so until the end of time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am excited for this game. It looks like xenoblade but FF7

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I always find it strange that so many people can't make the th sound without it sounding like z. I'm biased because we have the th sound in Spanish, but I find it strange that they can't tell th and z apart, but they can with s and z (I confuse those two all the time).
The only hard thing about English is that it has too many homophones and short words, and also the fact that English speakers use a wider and more nuanced vocabulary than most other languages.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If it makes you feel better, a lot of us English don't really have a great grasp of it either.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kids spell lose as loose nowadays

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Losen up oldie.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spermando posted:

and also the fact that English speakers use a wider and more nuanced vocabulary than most other languages.

I can hear the cries of Vilém Flusser.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

English is a lot of things but it is not nuanced lmao English is basic af.

I also don't quite remember this part of ff7, did it happen after sephiros killed aerith?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Spermando posted:

I always find it strange that so many people can't make the th sound without it sounding like z. I'm biased because we have the th sound in Spanish, but I find it strange that they can't tell th and z apart, but they can with s and z (I confuse those two all the time).
The only hard thing about English is that it has too many homophones and short words, and also the fact that English speakers use a wider and more nuanced vocabulary than most other languages.

The deep secret is that there are actually two completely different consonants in English that are both written as th.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Rodney posted:

English is a lot of things but it is not nuanced lmao English is basic af.

I also don't quite remember this part of ff7, did it happen after sephiros killed aerith?

Yeah English is the basic bro of languages. I don't even need to get to Vilém Flusser, you get to music/poetry and English is already barely functional as the recipient of a localization.

Actually, nevermind poetry and music. English is barely nuanced enough to translate this videogame. Instead of George Steiner we have Tim Rogers.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Clarste posted:

The deep secret is that there are actually two completely different consonants in English that are both written as th.

Yup. The ‘th’ in “this” is different from “think”. :eng99:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Clarste posted:

HD DAD posted:

Yup. The ‘th’ in “this” is different from “think”. :eng99:

That's because English spelling and orthography isn't accurate to the way people actually pronounce words.

Another good example is how English has something like 11 vowel sounds, but only five vowel letters.

Don't mind me, just a guy with a linguistics degree nerding out for a second.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Some Numbers posted:

That's because English spelling and orthography isn't accurate to the way people actually pronounce words.

Another good example is how English has something like 11 vowel sounds, but only five vowel letters.

Don't mind me, just a guy with a linguistics degree nerding out for a second.

Only a linguistics minor here but samesies :hfive:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

MonsieurChoc posted:

Final Fantasy Character Mashup Bot

Cloud + Red XIII = Red Cloud.

Nanakith

(If Hojo got his way)

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

It's probably just because everyone was used to Aeris. But Aeris never sounded like a normal name, either.

How can anyone think the voice acting in other Final Fantasy titles was better when 10, 12 and all 13 games exist? Speaking of 13, I really hope they kept the dumbass Moe noises to a minimum in this...what is it with Japan and having to have characters make a noise with every movement of their body?

3 separate characters make these noises in literally the first 10 seconds of the trailer. Expect maximum sighs, grunts and groans throughout. As Ive mentioned before, Japanese voice direction is an abomination.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its good. maybe you should try grunting some more might improve your disposition

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The things you guys talk about to avoid talking about the fact that we didn't get a demo is just :allears:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We did get a demo though. What, you didn't go to E3?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

The things you guys talk about to avoid talking about the fact that we didn't get a demo is just :allears:

it got leaked and people played through the whole demo already so I don't even get what the holdup is, just release the drat thing already, it's clearly done

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Fhqwhgads posted:

Nanakith

(If Hojo got his way)
Tomato and carrot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GoGoGadget posted:

Aeris sounds like Eris which is very much a real name

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cock hero flux posted:

it got leaked and people played through the whole demo already so I don't even get what the holdup is, just release the drat thing already, it's clearly done

Yeah I don't know what they're waiting on, unless it's certification, because everyone is just pissed at them now

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Tomato and carrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

this is deranged conspiratorial thinking. try grunting more