Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Is there another app where you type/dictate the details of a new calendar event into a single field and it reliably parses out the name, time, date, etc? That's my favorite fantastical feature

I believe you could do this with Siri if you type to it. If not I think Calendar 5 also does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Calendar 366 is my favourite Fantastical clone. And it has natural language as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Weird that calendar on macOS does that but not iOS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress the Netflix app sucks donkey balls.

Trying to download poo poo for a plane ride and it legit won’t download more than one thing at a time and it’s slow as gently caress.

Then I downloaded a series and one of the episodes won’t play because of some random error.

🖕🏻 Netflix.

It’s fine for streaming but the offline viewing is a hot rear end mess.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

priznat posted:

I have zero issue with them having a go at creating a new subscription service for an amazing sexy app or whatever but don’t gently caress me over on something I had already purchased and was just fine with as it was. I don’t need the new features I was good but to take away stuff I was perfectly happy with as is? That’s loving bullshit and it will really affect if I pay for apps in the future. I think Fantastical was like $10 too? Sheesh.

What did they take away?

I'm curious cause I don't really use the app a lot but all the Apple blogs made it seems like all the features you had before are unlocked for Fantastical 2 users which is what it seeks like to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress the Netflix app sucks donkey balls.

Trying to download poo poo for a plane ride and it legit won’t download more than one thing at a time and it’s slow as gently caress.

Then I downloaded a series and one of the episodes won’t play because of some random error.

🖕🏻 Netflix.

It’s fine for streaming but the offline viewing is a hot rear end mess.

gently caress any video playing app (this included the built-in iOS Movies/TV for a while too) that lets you download things to play offline but then when you launch it with no network connectivity (like once your plane has safely reached 10K feet) it can't play anything because it still tries to phone home for some goddamn reason.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I downloaded a bunch of episodes of the Formula 1 doc to watch on a plane and they all played in 4:3 for some reason.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

Is there another app where you type/dictate the details of a new calendar event into a single field and it reliably parses out the name, time, date, etc? That's my favorite fantastical feature

Timepage does that, but I don't generally use that feature so I just tried to set up a entry for dinner with myself at the local Apple store and it parsed everything just fine and now I have a 6pm scheduled at the fruit stand and it'll alert me based on how long it will take to arrive there.

Fantastical's exclusive features aren't terribly exclusive anymore.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Timepage is $12/yr. Just an FYI for anyone else looking around.

Cool Uncle
Dec 23, 2011

electricHyena posted:

Can anyone recommend a photo album app that lets you display descriptions/text for photos as you scroll through? Ideally I want some kind of main menu showing all the albums I make, and then when you open one, it looks something like Instagram -- it displays the photo/video at the top, with room for text at the bottom, and you can swipe through the pics in the album and see the new text for each one. I don't want it online, I just want it on my phone so I can organize my vacation pics.

Is there anything like that out there? I see a ton of different ways of viewing pics, but nothing that stores text with them in that way. Thx for any help.

I’ve been looking for something similar, a way to attach notes to my photos. I’m more interested in a long term storage solution than an app, but that would be cool too.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

crestfallen posted:

Timepage is $12/yr. Just an FYI for anyone else looking around.

Actions isn’t a terrible todo manager either and integrates fully into it - and there’s a web version of Actions, too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

maduin posted:

Actions isn’t a terrible todo manager either and integrates fully into it - and there’s a web version of Actions, too.

Is that an additional annual fee?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Is that an additional annual fee?

Yeah, unfortunately. Still 1/3 (?) the price of Fantastical!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

maduin posted:

Yeah, unfortunately. Still 1/3 (?) the price of Fantastical!

Guessing it will not sync with iOS reminders either, will it. I know it'll import.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

101 posted:

What did they take away?

I'm curious cause I don't really use the app a lot but all the Apple blogs made it seems like all the features you had before are unlocked for Fantastical 2 users which is what it seeks like to me

I think most of the features are still there but they made some of them require an account sign-in now (like the entire watch app) and that's honestly a bridge too far for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I didn't find a need for Actions. It looked pretty, but I don't need my to-do list integrated with my calendar.

My favorite to-do list is still Clear Todos. I'm giving Reminders a shot, but I end up trying to do the gesture controls from Clear. Epic Win was kind of fun, but they never really did anything with it beyond the initial app.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I recently moved over to iOS reminders from todoist and enjoying that. I used clear back in the day, really liked it. Maybe I'll spin it up to see if it scratches the itch I have.

I'm REALLY liking Timepage, it's very nice. Especially since I found an app to sync my work Outlook with a Google calendar so I can actually integrate everything into one.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’m trying out Calendar 366 (hopefully it will still work okay in non leap years)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

I recently moved over to iOS reminders from todoist and enjoying that. I used clear back in the day, really liked it. Maybe I'll spin it up to see if it scratches the itch I have.

I'm REALLY liking Timepage, it's very nice. Especially since I found an app to sync my work Outlook with a Google calendar so I can actually integrate everything into one.

If you download Clear they tease a whole new version to be released soon. Unfortunately looking it up, they've been saying that for a year so...eh. But they did include a new black theme to let OLED users swipe tasks into the deep dark nothingness.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Anybody else have issues with Reminders.app syncing between MacOS and iOS?

I have 17 tasks on my Mac but 8 of them show on iOS and none of the others come up. It’s weird.

If I unsync and resync, it just deletes the list on MacOS and reverts to the iOS one. Even though the MacOS one is newer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

virinvictus posted:

Anybody else have issues with Reminders.app syncing between MacOS and iOS?

I have 17 tasks on my Mac but 8 of them show on iOS and none of the others come up. It’s weird.

If I unsync and resync, it just deletes the list on MacOS and reverts to the iOS one. Even though the MacOS one is newer.

Just a stab in the dark, but did you upgrade the Reminders in MacOS to the new format? I don't think you get a choice in iOS and I'm not sure what kind of wonkiness might happen if you don't update to the new format in MacOS

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Just a stab in the dark, but did you upgrade the Reminders in MacOS to the new format? I don't think you get a choice in iOS and I'm not sure what kind of wonkiness might happen if you don't update to the new format in MacOS

You do get a choice on iOS, I’ve putting it off since 13 launched as I’ve not updated my Mac to Catalina. But I think it’s a one-shot thing; if you update iOS there’s no way to revert back.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
On some apps like twitter you can select a picture and ‘Save to folder’. I use it to save things to OneDrive but now that’s not showing as an option - only on the ipad and iCloud. Any ideas why?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

I only bought a Macbook in December, and my XR has been iOS 13 since it launched. Don't know why it suddenly won't sync.

edit: both show them trying to sync. but nothing is happening. I just looked at my iPad Pro (which is now just my sons dedicated Blippi player) and the Reminders on that (still connected with my iCloud (which has over 100GB space left)) show an even older setup that I used a year ago.

I was considering going to stock Reminders instead of Omnifocus or Things but looks like it's not reliable enough to day-to-day it which is weird to say about stock apps.

second edit:

i just went on to icloud.com to check what it shows there, and it's just three of the seven lists that i have. only one of which im actually using. so i don't even know anymore.

virinvictus fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 2, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sri.Theo posted:

On some apps like twitter you can select a picture and ‘Save to folder’. I use it to save things to OneDrive but now that’s not showing as an option - only on the ipad and iCloud. Any ideas why?

Have you looked at the More option or '...' (it seems vary based on context). Your option may have unselected itself. Dropbox will occasionally disappear from my list and it has to be added back in. It's probably because of an app update.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Sri.Theo posted:

You mean the "Save to Files" option with a folder icon? That's handled by Apple's Files app, so I'd launch that app and make sure I can see OneDrive there. If not, I'd try launching the OneDrive app and seeing if I can figure out why it's not showing up. (I don't use OneDrive, so I don't have any advice beyond that; sorry.)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

hey girl you up posted:

You mean the "Save to Files" option with a folder icon? That's handled by Apple's Files app, so I'd launch that app and make sure I can see OneDrive there. If not, I'd try launching the OneDrive app and seeing if I can figure out why it's not showing up. (I don't use OneDrive, so I don't have any advice beyond that; sorry.)

Yeah this is the option I meant - and it turns out it’s gone from the files app as well, although it used to be there. No obvious settings to change but a good place to start.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

I think most of the features are still there but they made some of them require an account sign-in now (like the entire watch app) and that's honestly a bridge too far for me.

I have to admit that creating an account and moving my calendar login through them, rather than iOS, did fix the two issues I was having.

Still annoyed by the “premium feature” poo poo all over the app though.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I have to admit that creating an account and moving my calendar login through them, rather than iOS, did fix the two issues I was having.

Still annoyed by the “premium feature” poo poo all over the app though.

I tried this too, and it helped, but they’ve broken the core feature of the natural language processing by foisting in an annoying, inaccurate suggestions popup whilst you type. I can’t deal with the constant nag to pay, and whilst I’m fine with paying for apps and even tolerate subscription services, the fee is ridiculously high for something that is so simple.

I’ve been trying Timepage as an alternative but that can’t seem to let me set a default calendar, the location searching is useless as it keeps suggesting contacts when I’m clearly typing an address, and in their goal of being ‘beautiful’ it seems there are some major usability issues with regards to adding attendees, notes or whatever to calendar appointments. Annoyingly, I really like their time to leave feature, which made me consider the subscription cost, but as it’s based on Apple Maps the walking directions are somewhat useless.

Google Calendar is actually seeming more practical even if it has none of the nice features I’m used to. At least it bloody works even if I have to pop everything into distinct fields.

I’d give Outlook a go but I want my calendar to be separate from my email so I can maintain some work/life balance.

Why the hell couldn’t they have just released it as a new app and left the old one alone?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
What is the best and free photo vault app to hide your sexy photos? Most of these are subscription based. I don’t need any cloud storage or anything premium. Just need to have the app be locked by pin /Touch ID.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

iLikeMidgets posted:

What is the best and free photo vault app to hide your sexy photos? Most of these are subscription based. I don’t need any cloud storage or anything premium. Just need to have the app be locked by pin /Touch ID.

I just use the hide function in photos and don't let people rummage through my phone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tuyop posted:

I just use the hide function in photos and don't let people rummage through my phone.

:piss:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Is there a goon preference between Jamf and Mosyle for MDM?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know there's apps like Air Video HD and Plex that can stream your videos from your home server to your iOS device but is there something similar for PDFs/CBRs?

Basically I have an iPad Pro 12.9" which is perfect for scanned PDFs and I downloaded the entire retromags collection which is over 200 GBs. Obviously this is too big for my free Dropbox account and I'd rather not have to load them in and out at random and have them "all at my fingertips" so is there some way to have them sitting on my server (a Windows 10 PC) but have my iPad access them whenever I want (as long as I have an internet connection, obviously)?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know there's apps like Air Video HD and Plex that can stream your videos from your home server to your iOS device but is there something similar for PDFs/CBRs?

Basically I have an iPad Pro 12.9" which is perfect for scanned PDFs and I downloaded the entire retromags collection which is over 200 GBs. Obviously this is too big for my free Dropbox account and I'd rather not have to load them in and out at random and have them "all at my fingertips" so is there some way to have them sitting on my server (a Windows 10 PC) but have my iPad access them whenever I want (as long as I have an internet connection, obviously)?

The easiest way is probably Nextcloud. Set up dynamic dns and access it via that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

There are a couple Dropbox competitors, like Bittorent Sync, that might work too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

tuyop posted:

The easiest way is probably Nextcloud. Set up dynamic dns and access it via that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it won't work. I went to download their software for my server and got this:

"Use the desktop clients to keep your files synchronized between your Nextcloud server and your desktop"

When I went to download the Nextcloud server software, it says it doesn't work with Windows. My server is a Windows machine.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Silly question- but doesn’t the files app let you connect to folders on a network? I’ve been digging into it recently and thought that was an option.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Yes, you could just share the directory to your network and set up a VPN to get at the files while you’re outside your home network. This is probably the most elegant solution, in my opinion. But it does involve a bit of learning if you’re new to that level of home networking.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it won't work. I went to download their software for my server and got this:

"Use the desktop clients to keep your files synchronized between your Nextcloud server and your desktop"

When I went to download the Nextcloud server software, it says it doesn't work with Windows. My server is a Windows machine.

I guess it depends on how much of a ~command line adventure~ you’re looking for!

https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to-install-nextcloud-server-on-windows-10.html

Does syncthing or resilio connect do what you need though? They’re basically Dropbox without the cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sri.Theo posted:

Silly question- but doesn’t the files app let you connect to folders on a network? I’ve been digging into it recently and thought that was an option.

It does but I am looking to access the stuff outside my home network.

tuyop posted:

/\/\ Yes, you could just share the directory to your network and set up a VPN to get at the files while you’re outside your home network. This is probably the most elegant solution, in my opinion. But it does involve a bit of learning if you’re new to that level of home networking.

This would be the only reason I'd use a VPN. It would be a bit silly for me to spend ~$10 per month to read old video game magazines from the 80s (don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending a one-time fee on an app).

tuyop posted:

Does syncthing or resilio connect do what you need though? They’re basically Dropbox without the cloud.

I suppose I could give syncthing a shot. It's pretty funny, there's apps that do exactly what I want for videos and pictures, but none specifically for PDFs. Now I gotta get into all sorts of crazy stuff just because of the file type. I wish I could just rename them all MP4s and use Air Video HD with it :) (syncthing looks confusing as all hell)

edit: nope, never mind. Stuck at square 1. There's no Syncthing app for iOS. Only Android.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 5, 2020