Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
everyone should play only one AC game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

hadji murad posted:

everyone should play only one AC game

This is the conclusion I came to too. The GC one was it for me. Glad I did. Glad I've moved on.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I feel like there's enough time between AC releases that you should play each one. I'd imagine most people would have probably dropped the game before the newest one is out so once the itch comes back you have a new game to play.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

For me the look of AC is charming and the music of SV is charming. I can’t really get invested in a low-fi SV style though so it doesn’t reach me emotionally.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In my games I like to murder God, so AC is not for me since in those games God is already dead.

I also cannot stand games with talking animals, so Animal Crossing is a hard pass until they release a patch to change the animals into anime.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

A lot of your complaints indicate you didn't put in the time or attention required to understand the game, because the houses are named on the map in SV. Again, totally fine that you don't like it, but you're misrepresenting it. AC also requires time and attention if you're going to remember which anthropomorphic animal is which and for me it felt like they have much less personality beyond coming and saying their catchphrase at you or occasionally asking you to their house where you... stand around doing nothing until you leave. The characters with the most personality are the permanent residents: Isabelle, Tom Nook, Capp'n. Everyone else is fairly cookie cutter imo.

You learn the routines of the villagers in SV by playing the game, there's no need to follow everyone around. You're quite organically introduced to various mechanics as the game progresses and by interacting with them you'll travel around the town and figure out who is where are what times and what they enjoy as a result of that. There's almost no pressure on you to actually chase people down, but if you do make the effort then you're rewarded with interactions that add to your understanding of their character.

I actually don't think the two games are all that different in many ways, just SV is more traditionally videogamey in the sense that it provides you with more mechanics to engage with and has more indicators of progression. AC is much more whimsical, and enjoying it depends on how much you find the daily tasks zen vs repetitive and dull. It sounds like the presence of any meter in a game, even when the actual implementation is as forgiving as in SV, distracts you from enjoying the tasks at hand.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

A lot of your complaints indicate you didn't put in the time or attention required to understand the game, because the houses are named on the map in SV. Again, totally fine that you don't like it, but you're misrepresenting it. AC also requires time and attention if you're going to remember which anthropomorphic animal is which and for me it felt like they have much less personality beyond coming and saying their catchphrase at you or occasionally asking you to their house where you... stand around doing nothing until you leave.

You learn the routines of the villagers in SV by playing the game, there's no need to follow everyone around. You're quite organically introduced to various mechanics as the game progresses and by interacting with them you'll travel around the town and figure out who is where are what times and what they enjoy as a result of that. There's almost no pressure on you to actually chase people down, but if you do make the effort then you're rewarded with interactions that add to your understanding of their character.

I actually don't think the two games are all that different in many ways, just SV is more traditionally videogamey in the sense that it provides you with more mechanics to engage with and has more indicators of progression. AC is much more whimsical, and enjoying it depends on how much you find the daily tasks zen vs repetitive and dull. It sounds like the presence of any meter in a game, even when the actual implementation is as forgiving as in SV, distracts you from enjoying the tasks at hand.

Having a meter in any game stresses me out, even if it's easy. I have SV sitting on my Switch and one day I'll get over my hurdles and play it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Not how I saw this happening. I only have interest in the game due to other goons love for it. I have never played it, so I was looking forward to giving it a shot on Switch. Not sure if I want to back another kickstarter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also the comparison doesn’t make sense anyway since Stardew is based around the older Harvest Moon games but modernized and filling a niche that the HM series has essentially abandoned. Animal Crossing is more like your casual gacha games, except without predatory microtransactions (unless Pocket Pool and Nook’s loving Island has them). Think of it as Miitopia without servers and replacing the Miis with disgusting talking animals.

Stardew is about learning to kill God through old-fashioned 19th century capitalism, while Animal Crossing is about finding your place in a ruined world where God is already dead. Both are great games if you’ve denounced God in your life, and both have much to say about the horrors of circumcision if you look deeply in the edits I made in their respective Wikis.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Another way to put it, Stardew Valley is what happens if Trump gets a second term, while Animal Crossing is what happens if Trump gets a third term.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you have a son and daughter, and some psycho put a gun to your head and told you which one to die, Stardew Valley would be like killing your son while Animal Crossing would be like killing your daughter.

If you wanted to add nonbinary and genderfluid offspring into the equation, that’s where Dark Souls comes in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I booted up Mario Maker 2 last night and when looking at the "Ver 2.0.0", thought about what they are hopefully adding this year.

Really want another style, for the night versions of themes to be independent of special effects, and for the option to automatically chain levels together.

And a bookmarking site.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Anyway Stardew Valley is better because I can use mods to change the NPCs into slime girls.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, I booted up Mario Maker 2 last night and when looking at the "Ver 2.0.0", thought about what they are hopefully adding this year.

Really want another style, for the night versions of themes to be independent of special effects, and for the option to automatically chain levels together.

And a bookmarking site.

I’d have to imagine SMB2 is a matter of “when” at this point. Kinda surprised they haven’t brought back MM1’s bookmarking yet, but it is Nintendo so I’m not really surprised.

Worlds will probably never happen though because of idiocy.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Not how I saw this happening. I only have interest in the game due to other goons love for it. I have never played it, so I was looking forward to giving it a shot on Switch. Not sure if I want to back another kickstarter.

It seems like Platinum really really wanted to get into self-publishing since according to Microsoft they had plans to buy them out but that deal fell through.

I love Wonderful 101, but it's one of those super niche, seriously no one ever played this, type of games and I just feel like a Kickstarter won't make it. But who knows, I'm going to hope for the best.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

You don’t have to back the Kickstarter? Just buy the game when it’s out

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Doesn't w101 use the wiiu's touch pad quite a bit? I thought the dual screen stuff was pretty instrumental to the game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Doesn't w101 use the wiiu's touch pad quite a bit? I thought the dual screen stuff was pretty instrumental to the game

It was also instrumental to ZombiU and TMS but both of those left the WiiU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Weedle posted:

You don’t have to back the Kickstarter? Just buy the game when it’s out

Wouldn't the success of the kickstarter determine if it actually does come out?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Skeezy posted:

I love Wonderful 101, but it's one of those super niche, seriously no one ever played this, type of games and I just feel like a Kickstarter won't make it. But who knows, I'm going to hope for the best.

What's it like? The thread talks it up A LOT, but what's it play like? Being Platinum I imagine it's like Bayonetta and other action games? The aesthetics remind me of Viewtiful Joe. Both of those are neat games, but ultimately not things I really enjoyed.

The whole 101 thing makes me think of Pikmin, which is a much better idea in my mind.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Not that much, actually. You could use it to draw the shapes for the morph you wanted to change into, but you could also draw the shape with the right thumbstick, which worked just fine. It felt kind of like doing inputs in a fighting game, I ended up liking it more than the touchscreen controls.

There was also a couple segments where you would go inside a building, and the touchscreen would show your team on the inside while the TV would show the outside of the building, and you'd have to solve a puzzle by doing stuff inside the building that effected stuff on the outside, but the game already had a picture in picture mode to let you play on just the gamepad, so even if they don't want to change anything they've already got a solution in place.

And it could always be Wonderful 102 or something, that would avoid the issue entirely.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

Don’t worry about it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gripweed posted:

They announced BotW2 last year and it's built off the bones of BotW, so they could easily have a faster than usual turnaround on it.

And since they didn't put any dungeons in BotW and there has only been one Zelda w/ new dungeons since 2010, they probably have a lot of ideas to work with.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've also got ideas for BotW2.

* Give Link a gun, if Mario can have one why can't Link?

* Add more polygons to Zelda's rear end

* Cancel BotW2 and release Mother 3 instead.

* Give Link the Blue Falcon so he can drive around Hyrule at incredibly high speeds.

* Also give Link an Arwing and let Beetle be his wingman.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Buy a new Switch. Transfer your save. Sell your old Switch. ???. Profit.

Oh is this possible for games that don't show cloud saves?

Old school cable transfer or what

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's it like? The thread talks it up A LOT, but what's it play like? Being Platinum I imagine it's like Bayonetta and other action games? The aesthetics remind me of Viewtiful Joe. Both of those are neat games, but ultimately not things I really enjoyed.

The whole 101 thing makes me think of Pikmin, which is a much better idea in my mind.

It's a deconstruction of character action games, where your character is a literal mob you have to contain and control. It takes systems from bayo and viewtiful Joe and makes you control them with okami style inputs on the wiiupad screen or fighting inputs on the stick. It should be a Frankenstein mess, but it works thanks to multi unite, where you can toss out attacks that auto complete on their own while calling up another that you control, which astral chain took and ran with. Where bayo is all about the maintaining the look of ease when killing enemies, w101 is all about the extra effort needed to keep people together.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Oh is this possible for games that don't show cloud saves?

Old school cable transfer or what

No you just start a system transfer with them both on the same WiFi network. It can even be your phones hotspot.

That’s how I did mine, literally in the GameStop. They need to be on a WiFi network to talk to Nintendo, then they just transfer the data directly to each other after that, so it shouldn’t run up your data usage.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

It's a deconstruction of character action games, where your character is a literal mob you have to contain and control. It takes systems from bayo and viewtiful Joe and makes you control them with okami style inputs on the wiiupad screen or fighting inputs on the stick. It should be a Frankenstein mess, but it works thanks to multi unite, where you can toss out attacks that auto complete on their own while calling up another that you control, which astral chain took and ran with. Where bayo is all about the maintaining the look of ease when killing enemies, w101 is all about the extra effort needed to keep people together.

That does sound super interesting. So it's not so reliant on perfect inputs? I'm just worried it gets as tough as some of those other games can get.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That does sound super interesting. So it's not so reliant on perfect inputs? I'm just worried it gets as tough as some of those other games can get.

It is reliant on perfect inputs. And it is a pretty hard game.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

enojy posted:

You can, but I know next to nothing of responsible USB-C usage and don't wanna risk blowing anything up.

You're on your own recognizance, but when I travel I keep my Macbook, Switch, and phone charged with my Macbook's charger.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/doctor_cupcakes/status/1223631301422538756?s=21

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Leave it and SM3dW on the Wii U. Make new games. If people want to play Wii U exclusives, get a Wii U.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Leave it and SM3dW on the Wii U. Make new games. If people want to play Wii U exclusives, get a Wii U.

No.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Do you have a Wii U?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wonderful 101 did so badly that Tokyo Mirage Sessions looked like CoD numbers by comparison.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I have a Wii u and w101 and I still haven't played it :v:

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

dr.acula posted:

I have a Wii u and w101 and I still haven't played it :v:

This is me except I played it for an hour and bounced off of it wondering what the hell was going on. Seemed cool, but the controls felt wonky.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Joiny posted:

This is me except I played it for an hour and bounced off of it wondering what the hell was going on. Seemed cool, but the controls felt wonky.

:same:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s good but it’s lower on the scale of Platinum games for me. I’ll probably skip it unless they add something substantial to the port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BisterdDave posted:

Nah.