Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sinky posted:

Only took 12 hours for the shine to come off this Brexit thing

x

So, the GFA is broken and the Troubles are coming back.

E: 4 is my pick in the sweep for "number of days until the next IRA bombing on the mainland".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Thanks, I literally yelled out "no" in horror watching this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

So, the GFA is broken and the Troubles are coming back.

E: 4 is my pick in the sweep for "number of days until the next IRA bombing on the mainland".

It won't be the IRA doing it this time around.
It will be the unionist UVF who will kick it off.
If Boris continues with the 'no checks needed, oh no, blimey, NI will need no extra red tape' and then throws NI under the bus at the last second and tell them there will be more red tape, this will disenfranchise the loyalists, not the IRA.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'll be going to see RLB in Bristol this afternoon, and may drop by to meet angry drunk Emily Thornberry in Bath afterwards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unionists declaring war on the british government is an incredibly weird idea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

It won't be the IRA doing it this time around.
It will be the unionist UVF who will kick it off.
If Boris continues with the 'no checks needed, oh no, blimey, NI will need no extra red tape' and then throws NI under the bus at the last second and tell them there will be more red tape, this will disenfranchise the loyalists, not the IRA.

The IRA will probably start getting fighty as the calls for Irish reunification start getting louder (and the British government refuses), though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

The IRA will probably start getting fighty as the calls for Irish reunification start getting louder (and the British government refuses), though.

But if they are smart (unlikely I know) they would hunker down, and let the UK destroy itself with Brexit and such.
Don't need to risk trying to get a bomb to a UK town center, when a new 'trade' deal will destroy it for you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

But if they are smart (unlikely I know) they would hunker down, and let the UK destroy itself with Brexit and such.
Don't need to risk trying to get a bomb to a UK town center, when a new 'trade' deal will destroy it for you.

The catch with that idea is that the British government will be funnelling as much of the misery as possible onto people who aren't part of their base and have weak democratic representation in Westminster. Like Northern Ireland, and especially Irish Catholic communities. Brexit will hit the IRA's base first and hardest.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This should be put in the op.

e - By the way why are all my gifs loving massive? Have I done some thing dumb?

https://i.imgur.com/IgfHPGL.gifv

Jippa fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 1, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

why're you reporting us? no rules on respecting brexit here, I checked
That's not what "reported cases" means but also lol at "respecting brexit", you disingenuous prick. You know full loving well the issue is another eleven plus months of the thread being full of: "hey, have poor people started dying in droves yet? Really excited to watch that as an outside observer, just so I can tell a thread full of people who knew brexit was a bad idea that I told them so". Just gently caress off you grotesque oval office.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It's amazing seeing the pictures of Brits celebrating that UK is now paying the EU to follow EU's laws and regulations, but without having a say when said laws and regulations are decided.

I mean, I knew you really enjoyed the idea of taxation without representation, but still...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

happyhippy posted:

he already did, peep the withdrawal agreement

quote:

No customs duties shall be payable for a good brought into Northern Ireland from
another part of the United Kingdom by direct transport, notwithstanding paragraph 3, unless
that good is at risk of subsequently being moved into the Union, whether by itself or forming
part of another good following processing

don't worry you might get the money back

quote:

6. Customs duties levied by the United Kingdom in accordance with paragraph 3 are not
remitted to the Union.
Subject to Article 10, the United Kingdom may in particular:
(c) provide for circumstances in which customs duties are to be reimbursed in respect of
goods that can be shown not to have entered the Union

the UK may also in particular

quote:

(d) compensate undertakings to offset the impact of the application of paragraph 3.
which given that there's no regulatory burden at all brite futures is like, basically free money! is this the brexit dividend?

I know you're talking about Johnson basically turning around and admitting it, but what if he never does? Lying worked out for him so far, when the burdens appear he can just keep saying "no there aren't any"

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

When you watch a film about a foreign country and they have a segment on the kooky local customs that makes you laugh, and then you realise the foreign country is the county you grew up in.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/simon_price01/status/1223550261739782144?s=19

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

I mean this is pretty dumb. People in Gibraltar are British and have voted in huge majorities to drive that point home, historically. It was like 98.7% or something last time they had a referendum. If self-determination means anything it's that Gibraltar is British.

Spain cares more about access to UK fish than it does about a monkey infested rock, but the EU will probably still use it as a bargaining chip.

It's like a Hearts of Iron game where an OCD Spain goes to town on border gore.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do not think the EU cares about self determination, particularly where spain's authority is concerned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I've seen that photo posted by someone else, but with the name of the building censored. It may well be a stdh.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rakosi posted:

I mean this is pretty dumb. People in Gibraltar are British and have voted in huge majorities to drive that point home, historically. It was like 98.7% or something last time they had a referendum. If self-determination means anything it's that Gibraltar is British.

Spain cares more about access to UK fish than it does about a monkey infested rock, but the EU will probably still use it as a bargaining chip.

It's like a Hearts of Iron game where an OCD Spain goes to town on border gore.
The world community can't just accept colonial occupation as legitimate because the settlers feel loyalty towards the metropole.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The world community can't just accept colonial occupation as legitimate because the settlers feel loyalty towards the metropole.

It was 1713

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They cut the end off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQCpQbUrzI

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Jippa posted:

This should be put in the op.

*Snip on the big ol' flag folding gif*
I can just imagine as soon as they went around the corner, that flag went straight in the bin. Either that, or it's going to be, 'filed' in a dusty basement until the moths and rats have had their fill. Possibly put into a cleaner's cupboard for later use? :haw:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They would probably give it to one of the UK diplomatic staff.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rakosi posted:

It was 1713
The scars of imperialism do not simply heal by themselves, they reverberate through time and lock people in the present into destines decided before they were born. Former imperial powers must make amends and do what they can to right past wrongs, not defend them with the argument that those crimes are in the past.

limited posted:

I can just imagine as soon as they went around the corner, that flag went straight in the bin. Either that, or it's going to be, 'filed' in a dusty basement until the moths and rats have had their fill. Possibly put into a cleaner's cupboard for later use? :haw:
Meanwhile, where you see someone being referential for show, some English nationalist is fuming at the fact that they had an "ethnic-looking woman dressed like a man" disrespectfully folding the flag like it was a dish cloth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They didn't even folks it into a triangle thirteen times which is a very real UK thing I am mad about.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

It'll be given to the Scots as a gift once they rejoin.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Should do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ptZxseU8co&t=138s

So the UK now has a year to sort out customs and the Irish border and the various trade deals?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The scars of imperialism do not simply heal by themselves, they reverberate through time and lock people in the present into destines decided before they were born. Former imperial powers must make amends and do what they can to right past wrongs, not defend them with the argument that those crimes are in the past.

Britain has owned it for longer than the Kingdom of Spain has. What does originality have to do with anything if all the people there are British and want to be British, especially when the claim is like over 300 years old. The EU don't really give a poo poo. Spain and the EU will use it as part of the negotiations to pressure Boris to giving access to UK fishing waters or something else. It's a bad faith dispute on both sides, except for the people unfairly caught in the middle.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why do any claims to land beyond those of the current residents matter, if self-determination of people is such an important principle. The people of Gibraltar want to remain British, and why should quibbling over 300 year old history override that?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Why do any claims to land beyond those of the current residents matter, if self-determination of people is such an important principle. The people of Gibraltar want to remain British, and why should quibbling over 300 year old history override that?
Because if you follow that logic, then performing a genocide and moving in your own people gives you the right to the territory. To allow imperial conquests and settlements to stand is to invite more imperialism.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pilchenstein posted:

That's not what "reported cases" means but also lol at "respecting brexit", you disingenuous prick. You know full loving well the issue is another eleven plus months of the thread being full of: "hey, have poor people started dying in droves yet? Really excited to watch that as an outside observer, just so I can tell a thread full of people who knew brexit was a bad idea that I told them so". Just gently caress off you grotesque oval office.

well, I'd argue the brexit vote was just as perfectly valid a response to working class concerns on elitist rule and immigration as was the trump vote. i agree the forums tend to have a less than respectful discourse on these matters, but I'm quite puzzled by just how defensively you react--i'm less than convinced incandescent rage is a great mental model for this. maybe you find it helpful.

but for my own part, I object to the suggestion that a political subject be censored on the grounds the thing hurts people--and certainly not by appeals to decorum or tone. certainly, that would also apply to global capitalism, the climate crisis and, as mentioned, the donald trump. i've certainly never seen poster location acknowledged as relevant to thread participation--even so i'll certainly consider moderating myself in the future, now that I've a better handle on your honest concern.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Because if you follow that logic, then performing a genocide and moving in your own people gives you the right to the territory. To allow imperial conquests and settlements to stand is to invite more imperialism.

lmao it was a territory ceded by Spain to the British. No genocide happened. In exchange for ceding the Southern Netherlands, Naples, Milan, and Sardinia to Austria; Sicily and some Milanese lands to Savoy; and Gibraltar and Menorca to Great Britain, Spain got to keep its entire overseas empire. Britain was hardly pillaging some underdeveloped nation of its resources.

quote:

With regard to Gibraltar, the town, fortifications and port (but not the hinterland) were ceded to Britain "for ever, without any exception or impediment whatsoever." The treaty also stipulated that if Britain was ever to dispose of Gibraltar it would first have to offer the territory to Spain.

Boris is as likely to give Gibraltar back to Spain as he is the Falklands back to Argentina. It won't happen, especially on the back of a nationalist Brexit victory. The EU is sniffing glue if they play this any more than just pressure on other more important negotiations.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 1, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Eh, if we had a little Spanish enclave on the English coast filled with tax evaders and organised crime, I can't imagine we'd be too happy with that either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Morocco agrees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I'm not keen on the english enclaves on the english coast filled with tax evaders and organized crime.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

there was no genocide of native gibraltans

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

None of this matters because the UK is now a single country with a fragile economy and no backup, and Spain is in the EU; if Spain decides they want Gibraltar and the EU backs them on it in a full and serious way (which they won't, not yet) they're getting it one way or another.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Eh, if we had a little Spanish enclave on the English coast filled with tax evaders and organised crime, I can't imagine we'd be too happy with that either.

which is actually what the Spanish government cares about. that and shared sovereignty over the airport which is on disputed territory unlike the rock itself.
expect to see a crack down on smuggling and reform of finance in the territory as a price to pay for our trade deal.
silver linings I guess.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

well, I'd argue the brexit vote was just as perfectly valid a response to working class concerns on elitist rule and immigration as was the trump vote. i agree the forums tend to have a less than respectful discourse on these matters, but I'm quite puzzled by just how defensively you react--i'm less than convinced incandescent rage is a great mental model for this. maybe you find it helpful.

but for my own part, I object to the suggestion that a political subject be censored on the grounds the thing hurts people--and certainly not by appeals to decorum or tone. certainly, that would also apply to global capitalism, the climate crisis and, as mentioned, the donald trump. i've certainly never seen poster location acknowledged as relevant to thread participation--even so i'll certainly consider moderating myself in the future, now that I've a better handle on your honest concern.
I'm not proposing we censor the topic at all, I just think (quite rightly) that you coming in here to be a smug oval office and gloat about how it's going to do real harm to the most disadvantaged people in this country is tedious and lovely and, what's more, completely redundant. We all know it was a terrible idea and that people voted for it for the worst possible reasons and that a lot of the people who champion it most ardently are the worst loving cunts on this earth. All of those things can be true and I can think you're a lovely loving dickhead for doing nothing but go "hey, have terrible things that won't affect me in the least started happening to you guys yet? Just let me know when they do because man, are my balls blue", they're not mutually exclusive concepts :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rakosi posted:

lmao it was a territory ceded by Spain to the British. No genocide happened. In exchange for ceding the Southern Netherlands, Naples, Milan, and Sardinia to Austria; Sicily and some Milanese lands to Savoy; and Gibraltar and Menorca to Great Britain, Spain got to keep its entire overseas empire. Britain was hardly pillaging some underdeveloped nation of its resources.

Cerv posted:

there was no genocide of native gibraltans
Irrelevant. Holding the self-determination of peoples as sacrosanct protects the beneficiaries of genocide just the same.

Pistol_Pete posted:

An obvious example of how, despite being "in the clear" in terms of not being the product of genocide, the existence of such imperialist relics still makes the world a worse place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Who decides what's an imperialist relic?

Ceuta and Melilla fit the standard of imperialist relics, being agreed between France and Spain as part of an imperialist war in Morocco over which Moroccans had little say, far more than Gibraltar, being a product of a treaty between two European colonialist powers.