Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Hero: "Mighty Dragon, I am honoured-"
Copper dragon: "Hi Honoured, I'm Trillbaxadontian!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Copper dragons are, in fact, the best metallics.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Let's not forget silver dragons are also the ones who turn into beautiful women attracted to player races. Although I personally wouldn't mind a relationship with a copper, bronze, or gold either. Nor a brass, long as they were fun to chat with and not exasperating. Common interests would probably help with that.

Heck, dating a good dragon is probably cool no matter what type of dragon they are.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Gold Dragons can be serious dicks. They're Lawful Good pretty exclusively and pretty strictly. They're also predisposed to be self-righteous and self-important. Great ally to have in a fight though!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Apparently golds, like silvers, can innately turn into humanoids and mostly prefer to stay that way because they love books, which are hard to use if one has huge loving claws. I recently read the History of the Dragons (not the actual title) book from Dragonlance, which is basically the same as FR dragons.

Bronze ones are apparently solitary pricks. Not evil, just grumpy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
For the more varied dragons, Steel Dragons also tend to assume humanoid form and promptly become prominent capitalists and bankers most of the time.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

achtungnight posted:

Let's not forget silver dragons are also the ones who turn into beautiful women attracted to player races. Although I personally wouldn't mind a relationship with a copper, bronze, or gold either. Nor a brass, long as they were fun to chat with and not exasperating. Common interests would probably help with that.

Heck, dating a good dragon is probably cool no matter what type of dragon they are.

found the weak spot of the party being manipulated into risking everything for a dragon's idea of the greater good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Commander Keene posted:

They're also one of the most boring of the good dragons. Like this is all 3e dragons, but Copper dragons tell dad jokes and play pranks on you if you don't laugh. They also live in deserts and like to eat spiders and scorpions because they think the venom sharpens their wits. Gold dragons love gems as snacks and have an innate spell that lets them know if you have any. Silver dragons can walk on clouds. Why can they walk on clouds? So they can have cool cloud castles, that's why!

In comparison, Brass dragons are just "the chatty ones", because they love to talk.

According to lore I recently read about them they can be really annoying with the chattiness.

MM posted:

Boldly Talkative. A brass dragon engages in conversations with thousands of creatures throughout its long life, accumulating useful information which it will gladly share for gifts of treasure. If an intelligent creature tries to leave a brass dragon’s presence without engaging in conversation, the dragon follows it. If the creature attempts to escape by magic or force, the dragon might respond with a fit of pique, using its sleep gas to incapacitate the creature. When it wakes, the creature finds itself pinned to the ground by giant claws or buried up to its neck in the sand while the dragon’s thirst for small talk is slaked.

A brass dragon is trusting of creatures that appear to enjoy conversation as much as it does, but is smart enough to know when it is being manipulated. When that happens, the dragon often responds in kind, treating a bout of mutual trickery as a game.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

For the more varied dragons, Steel Dragons also tend to assume humanoid form and promptly become prominent capitalists and bankers most of the time.

but they said metallic dragons were good ones :confused:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Steel are Lawful Evil it seems, oh well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Anias posted:

Steel are Lawful Evil it seems, oh well.
You sure I read on it, and it says they are neutral tending towards good.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

You sure I read on it, and it says they are neutral tending towards good.

yeah but that's what The Economist always says

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

After I read this, I quite literally had the window open to post "So, Lawful Evil then?", but then my sweet cat wanted a hug and I forgot.

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah but that's what The Economist always says

If The Economist ever had any credibility (they didn't), it's now gone as smoke one wind with their most recent issue in supermarkets with a picture of You Know Who on the front and the caption "Keeping America Great"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

achtungnight posted:

This is how you get half-dragons. Do you want half-dragons?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Never swipe right on Cinder.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Commander Keene posted:

This is how you get half-dragons. Do you want half-dragons?

They're one half less human so yes, almost certainly an upgrade.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Steel Dragons become capitalists to amass gold, to sleep on it. They do not hide it offshore, unless their lair is on an island.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently they like to do a lot of things differently than other Dragons.

FR Wiki posted:

Steel dragons, as a rule, were amiable, curious, and witty. They would rather spend their time among human cultures than in their own true forms, and so are rarely seen in their natural form, instead living clandestine lives in human cities, observing art, culture, history, and politics.

However, they had difficulty when dealing with all kinds of absolute authority, even authority that was used for good. This put steel dragons at odds with other kinds of metallic dragons that used their power and experience to justify their actions, specially bronze dragons and gold dragons; this also made them bitter enemies of chromatic dragons. For those same reasons, steel dragons usually worked within their chosen communities to promote freedom and undermine authoritarian forces.

Steel dragons liked the company of humans, elves, half-elves and dwarves, and they usually supported adventurers that opposed tyrants.

They preferred to invest in property and business unlike other dragons, who preferred to hoard monetary treasures. Some steel dragons did hoard items, but they preferred to hoard works of art, antiquities, books, finery, magic items or servants.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 1, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently they like to do a lot of things. Differently than other Dragons.

Simultaneously the most and least cspam of dragons :thunk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 14: All Inclusive

Today on the Gold Box adventures, we'll be exploring the ancestral home of the lizardmen and then robbing them blind.

Surely, you can't be that surprised.

I have concerns about stealing from the people we just convinced not to join Tyranthraxus.

Relax! You heard the old guy, anyone that's left isn't on our side.

That's a little reductivist, don't you think?

Hmm. Sounds like you're not on our side.

I have five Hold Person spells prepared, and I'm not afraid to use any of them.

In we go!

Guard dogs!

Lizards.

?

They're guard lizards.

ARF ARF

???

The keep itself is pretty deserted, with only a few staircases leading down to the catacombs. Choosing this one nets you a fight with about 25-30 giant lizards.

As funny as it would be to eradicate all of them with one fireball, there's really no need to waste a good spell. I mean... they're giant lizards. This isn't exactly top shelf competition.

We hack our way through, and we're in.

(Frigidarium.)

Weird. What's this thing do?

Um, it's a cold pool for bathing? Doi?

Huh. Well, I guess if any of us was going to know what something bath related is, it'd be—

Hanover!

Yup. Just somethin' about a mud bath that makes you feel like a new man.

Thanks for the mental image, I hate it.

If no one else's is gonna use it, I will!

Rude.

Wait. They're cold blooded. Shouldn't they be in torpor?

COLD COLD COLD AAAA

Well, I suppose that's close enough.

This entire section is completely optional, and there's nothing whatsoever to keep you from turning on your heel and walking off after the initial fight. However, you don't want to do that. Down in these catacombs, you'll find three or four pools that, when examined, will trigger a lizardman driveby. If you make your dexterity check, you can (C)ombat immediately afterwards and intercept them. It's not special, just a standard fight against 1D6 lizardmen. After they've been cleaned out, you can investigate the pool.

Obviously, this will end with another drive-by if you don't kill them first. Stupidity tax, I guess.

See you in a bit! *splash*

...shouldn't she take off her armor before she does that?

When have details like that ever stopped her?

Or us?

Omigod you guys! They're giving away freebies with the spa package!

That's just a shield. You found a shield at the bottom of a grimy pool of cave water, and you're calling it a spa treatment.

Um, the muck is great for your pores, Justine. Maybe you should try it sometime?

...the hell's that supposed to mean?

Let's just say it's good for facial cleanses.

I mean, that huge jaw of yours is totally oily.

Oh gently caress you.

In the bottom of each of these pools you will find a Shield goddamn +2. This is a big deal, because they're the best shields available in the game, and anything that gets you another point of AC is absolutely worth it and yes I'm ignoring that we passed up an opportunity to get magic plate mail in the buccaneer base, shut up. Fight some low level lizardmen to clean the place out, and you can lower the AC of everybody on your front line. That's a huge return on investment.

You want to amass as much magic gear as possible through the next few missions. We're bearing down on the 60-70% completion mark, and things are going to rapidly escalate.

Welp. Where to now?

OOOOOOOMIGOD YOU GUYS

Now what?

I found this coupon on the way out!

This seems a little... fishy.

Oh man. I'm overdue for an exfoliating scrub.

I could use a manicure!

Do they do the thing with the cucumber slices? I've always wanted to try that.

Are you trying to give me a stroke, or does it just come naturally?

Both!

hrgh

This is where the coupon said to go!

Um...

quote:

You're sure about this? A fake coupon. By our bath pools.

Absolutely.

Isn't that kind of, I don't know, dumb?

Yes. Yes, it is.

Guys, I think we've been hoodwinked.

So they don't have parafin?

No. No, they do not.

Today on the Gold Box adventures, finally, after much kicking and screaming, we're going to clean out Valhigam Graveyard.

There's a good reason I've held off this long (besides it being funny). After all the quests we've done, we've amassed a shitload of Restoration scrolls. We also have those +3 against undead two-handed swords, but if you think I'm unequipping a Shield +2 during this section you are out of your tiny mind.

Our goal is to fight undead until there are no more undead left to fight. There are four quadrants to the graveyard, each with its own theme. To ease you in, the opening quadrant is skeletons. It's still really annoying that swords are near useless against them, but, as someone who has watched every episode of Forged in Fire for absolutely no reason, I can confirm it's realistic. (Don't judge. I have a lot of down time after work.) We should be carrying clubs for situations like this, but I think this is the last time we're going to be facing skeletons en masse, so why start now?

Besides, we have this as an equalizer:

BEGONE FOUL UNDEAD

Whoah.

I've been practicing.

At Level 6—which, if you remember, is the cap—your cleric gets the ability to mass nuke weak undead. This isn't just turning, it's straight up skull-and-crossbones kill. It's delightful to push one button and watch half the battlefield empty out. It also makes hacking our way through all those bones a lot easier.

Hmm. This looks like a good place to discover valuables and also no traps whatsoever.

That's... a bit specific.

I think he's already gone in...

All right, let's follow him.

Is that wise?

He'll just run out here and bring whatever monsters he finds to us. Might as well get it over with.

Oh, hey! I was just about to run outside and let you handle these guys!

Sternn, I appreciate you being honest with us for once.

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf.

Really?

Nah.

(yes I know I have the sword equipped I was trying it out while it was safe to)

*crunch* *crunch*

Eesh, that's a lot of bones.

Could be worse!

Okay, you know what? Go ahead. I want you to come up with the most ridiculous loving thing you can think of, just to see if it happens.

At least they're not all forming together into a giant voltron skeleton and attacking us!

I am legitimately goddamn impressed.

:smuggo:

Well, here's a giant skeleton. It's... bigger than a normal skeleton and takes large target damage. Other than that, it doesn't have a lot going on for it.

Easy enough! Moving on.

Oh dear lord. They're all Restoration spells.

That's totally a good thing, though. Right?

I have a backpack literally stuffed full of them. Compressed down, trash can style.

Well, at least we're good if we hit a few wights or spectres.

...a few?

I mean, how many could there be?

This one's not my fault.

Noted.

I'll say this about the game: it's actually fair when you get to this mission. No one's going to tell you what's on those scrolls or what they do, but if you can put two and two together yourself, you'll realize that you are given every opportunity to not get completely hosed.

This is why you should put off doing the graveyard as long as possible, by the way. The number of undead does scale by level, but if you keep your powder dry, you can wander in here with about nine double-cast Restoration scrolls and a couple of heavy undead-killer weapons. There are some really nasty enemies in here, so there's not a really good reason to run in here as soon as you can. They'll still tear low level adventurers to shreds, even if there's less of them. (The undead, not the adventurers. Presumably.)

Hilariously, in the actual real life D&D module, the undead scale exponentially the longer you wait. A combination of a mean DM and a particularly lazy party could lead to this situation getting out of hand in a hurry.

:sigh:

Storming this central tower of the quadrant gets us another skeleton army to fight. Woo.

This one got ugly near the end. I mean, even if they're low level monsters and easily clobbered by a holy nuke, that's still a lot of skeletons, and they're still resistant to our swords. Nevertheless, we made it through, and a few Cure Light Wounds gets our wounded back on their feet.

hrk

...and immediately into this trap. I don't think it can actually be detected and disarmed. You just have to wade in there and make your save versus poison/disease. Oh well, I'm sure everything will be fine! Let's see what's upstairs!

ack

ACK

Narrator: Everything was not fine.

This jackass appears to be behind the skeleton epidemic. I'm not sure what I was thinking rushing in here with half a party. I assume I didn't want to risk resetting encounters before we did what we're about to do.

KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT

stop, stop, it's already dead

again

Heather makes her feelings about spectres known, and the fight is over pretty quick. Somehow, we didn't get hit at all, which means we can conserve our Restoration scrolls. Hooray for magic armor!

Our reward is ~3000 XP and all the money we can carry. We're really not hurting for cash anymore, so we grab the jewelry and call it even.

I wonder where they're getting all these skeletons from.

Maybe it was just castin' a whole bunch of Animate Dead.

Hey, check it out!

*flip*

Or that.

Well, we did it everyone. We solved undeath.

Great. Let's get Rezen and Sternn out of here and healed up before we go any further.

braaaaaaaaaains

You're not foolin' anyone, short stuff.

aw

Graveyard completion status: 25%

Now that we've shut down the skeleton factory, we won't have to deal with any more encounters in this quadrant. You can exhaust the kill count and trigger completion without killing the spectre. But, we've got tons of scrolls lying around, we get an assload of experience and money for killing it, and I think it also keeps stops scripted encounters from regenerating if you leave and come back. Although now that I think about it, I guess 3000 XP isn't really that great if it's immediately taken from you by two levels of drain. Oh well, it's still one less spectre in the world.

And that's it from Valhigan today! The graveyard's pretty massive, so this may or may not take two more updates. We'll see how things play out. At any rate, tune in next time, where you'll hear the restless dead say:

...lemon curry?

Next Time: Diplomatic Immunity

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Alright, back to reading the LP. :)

Well, I'll be darned. The FAQ I spoiled last post said there was one shield, but not one in each pool. I didn't even know that. Yet another hidden treasure of this game.

Ah, the graveyard! Finally!

Wonder if they got the fake coupon suggestion from a certain Giant Chicken*
* click here if you don't know what I'm referencing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrziHnudx3g.

I like Forged in Fire too.

I think Level 6 is too low a cap for some of the shenanigans this game gives a party. 9 for all classes would be my personal pick, especially considering you get Level 9 or higher bosses here and there.

Ok, I gotta ask. What's the deal with lemon curry? Is it a running gag from previous LPs? Just curious because it's been mentioned so much.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 1, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Exponential growth? I'd be curious to see a few examples from the original module, just to see how mild it starts and how insane it gets.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
The funny thing is that not going to the graveyard is even more of a running gag in the module than it is in-game. The very first fight you get into is against a group of skeletons and zombies controlled by a wight (it specifically gives instructions not to have the wight hit any of the party members). From then on, every time you complete a mission, the Council starts bitching about more and more undead building up and begging and bribing the party to deal with it. As you complete missions, they start telling you about, in order, skeletons raoming around and breaking poo poo, zombies roaming around and breaking poo poo, and wights roaming around and kidnapping people. The bribes include the same two handed sword +3 vs undead as seen here, but also a bounty of 50 gold per undead head. As Chokes noted, the number of undead in the graveyard increases exponentially, doubling with every two missions you complete.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

Ok, I gotta ask. What's the deal with lemon curry? Is it a running gag from previous LPs? Just curious because it's been mentioned so much.

It’s a regional specialty :shrug:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If this was during the edition you got XP for GP maybe it'd even counteract the level drain!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

achtungnight posted:

It's from Monty Python. Seriously

Genuinely surprised that no-one has mentioned it yet.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Tylana posted:

If this was during the edition you got XP for GP maybe it'd even counteract the level drain!

It was! That was a thing at least through 2nd.

Meanwhile, I have questions about this:

Did Heather just hit with a two-handed sword for zero base damage?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Skeletons? What's the worst that can happen with skeletons? This is fiiine

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ManxomeBromide posted:

It was! That was a thing at least through 2nd.

Meanwhile, I have questions about this:

Did Heather just hit with a two-handed sword for zero base damage?

I don't remember AD&D rules very well but it's more likely that she hit for 4 which got halved.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My familiarity with Monty Python skits is not as good as it should be. :( I was born in 1979 and have only seen Holy Grail in its entirety once. I haven’t seen any of the other films.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Zurai posted:

I don't remember AD&D rules very well but it's more likely that she hit for 4 which got halved.

This is exactly the case, skeletons take half damage from edged weapons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

achtungnight posted:

My familiarity with Monty Python skits is not as good as it should be. :( I was born in 1979 and have only seen Holy Grail in its entirety once. I haven’t seen any of the other films.

I, coincidentally, was also born in '79. I grew up in the UK, but the show itself is just as if not more popular in the US. I'm quite surprised that that's not where Chokes got it from. Not the phrase itself, but using it as a nonsensical interjection apropos of nothing. That's literally how it is used 4-6 times over the course of one 30minute episode of Flying Circus.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

achtungnight posted:

I think Level 6 is too low a cap for some of the shenanigans this game gives a party. 9 for all classes would be my personal pick, especially considering you get Level 9 or higher bosses here and there.

You can sort of cheat the cap with multiclassing; level 6 characters are a bit on the low side but level 6/6/6 (spooky) is a bit better. The problem is that completely fucks you over in the long run because you'll be hitting racial caps in future games. You might make it through Azure Bonds with a few multiclasses but they're complete nonstarters further on.

Does Pools of Radiance let you dual class? That could give you an edge here without completely screwing your advancement at high levels. I'm not an experting on AD&D minmaxing, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Straight White Shark posted:

You can sort of cheat the cap with multiclassing; level 6 characters are a bit on the low side but level 6/6/6 (spooky) is a bit better. The problem is that completely fucks you over in the long run because you'll be hitting racial caps in future games. You might make it through Azure Bonds with a few multiclasses but they're complete nonstarters further on.

This is a very good point but the Gold Box Companion, which is amazing, has a way to work around this. Racial level caps were one of the many stupid aspects of the early D&D versions.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm pretty sure PoR doesn't have dual classing. :( But yeah, multi-classing can help in this game. It just takes longer to gain levels, and yeah, it messes you up long term, so it may not be worth it.

Of more help is the high level gear the game gives you if you know where to get it. Stuff like the Buccaneer Captain's equipment and the Lizardmen's Shields +2. It's awesome to have high enough AC to wade into an army of skeletons and emerge without a single wound. They also give you great weapons, again if you know where to pick them up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

I, coincidentally, was also born in '79. I grew up in the UK, but the show itself is just as if not more popular in the US. I'm quite surprised that that's not where Chokes got it from. Not the phrase itself, but using it as a nonsensical interjection apropos of nothing. That's literally how it is used 4-6 times over the course of one 30minute episode of Flying Circus.

It is absolutely a Monty Python callback and I’m surprised it took this long for someone to comment on it, let alone figure out the reference. I was originally going to do it two or three times as a joke, but why get in the way of a good running gag?

Straight White Shark posted:

Does Pools of Radiance let you dual class? That could give you an edge here without completely screwing your advancement at high levels.

It does not, but starting from Bonds, the option will be available, though only for basic classes. We’re going to need it to get over the finish line and it’s going to make early Bonds one hell of a ride.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

It is absolutely a Monty Python callback and I’m surprised it took this long for someone to comment on it, let alone figure out the reference.

I might have missed that episode, but if you'd gone with "the larch" instead I'd have gotten it immediately.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 3, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

It is absolutely a Monty Python callback and I’m surprised it took this long for someone to comment on it, let alone figure out the reference. I was originally going to do it two or three times as a joke, but why get in the way of a good running gag?

There's no way to say this without sounding smug, but the first time that you did it I smiled quite large and just went with it. Nobody mentioned it, which I took to be a silent understanding that everyone got it and we would just carry on. When people started talking about the possibility of a literal dish called "lemon curry", I thought that they were being coy. I am oblivious to almost everything in popular culture, and I suppose that I just assumed that any reference that I get is perfectly germane to people who actually pay attention to things.

Also, Chokes... look into the Gold Box Companion - seriously. It's one of those tools that's so good that I literally wouldn't play these games without it, and I don't believe that anyone should torture themselves in an LP for the sake of "authenticity"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, Chokes... look into the Gold Box Companion - seriously. It's one of those tools that's so good that I literally wouldn't play these games without it, and I don't believe that anyone should torture themselves in an LP for the sake of "authenticity"

I may complain but I'll be fine. This ain't my first rodeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 15: Diplomatic Immunity

Today on the Gold Box adventures, we'll be slaughtering unliving without mercy. Or get punched in the throat by ghouls. Whichever. The point is, something's going to happen, and definitely we'll be part of it.

Off to a good start!

I guess? I mean, we're not gonna be facing skeletons forever.

You never know!

Oh. I know.

No rest for the vaguely wicked! Now that we've kicked a bunch of skeletons into tiny bits, our next stop is zombies.

:c00lbert:

Spoiler alert: this isn't going to take very long.

Another hoarde comes marching out when we get to this part.

Still not much to write home about. Shanna blows them all up, and we get on with life.

Zombie switch must be upstairs.

Probably another spectre, too.

Well, I've got the scrolls for it.

...zombie switch?

Uh, I know this is totally technical, but try to keep up. :rolleyes:

AA AAA

JUST KEEP FLAILING IT'LL WORK EVENTUALLY

Y'all are weird sometimes.

It's worth mentioning that Rez's magic missles are starting to do a healthy amount of damage. Given that they're guaranteed hits and she has four of them, this is a very good thing. Between this and fireball, she's really building up momentum. Her usefulness will continue to amp up the rest of this series, especially once we start getting to the really ridiculous fights.

What, you thought we were already seeing them? Better strap in, it's downhill sledding from here.

*flip*

That's two!

Huh. You think it'd be harder than that.

You would?

Nah.

Absolutely nothing of note in this section. No treasure. Wander over, beat a couple of scripted encounters, and punk out a spectre. Boom, zombie section's cleared.

Graveyard completion status: 50%

Are they even trying?

Prolly not.

Five minutes later...

...lemon curry? What the hell does that even mean?

bmarma marmal blar

Assassins? I visited Phlan under the flag of diplomacy! Why would—hold on a sec. Tourists.

Welcome to New Valhigan! I'm head diplomat of our council. How can I help—

KILLLLLLLL

Wait! I have diplomatic immunity!

And if we were giving you a disease, that would mean something. :smug:

Yikes.

Juju zombies are just slightly tougher zombies. Based on the name, I assume they're the Haitian version instead of the Romero version. There's just one of them here. He's supposed to have guards, but we exhausted the zombie kill count getting here, so he's all by his lonesome. lmao owned

We get some pretty good treasure out of it, too. That wand's a Wand of Lightning and immediately goes into Rezen's inventory. Lightning Bolt is a very powerful spell when used right—especially indoors—and having wands gives us an out for when Rezen gets popped mid-combat or runs out of fireballs.

I'll be honest with you, there's really only one part of the series where I use Lightning Bolt on a regular basis. My aim and advanced planning sucks. Most of the time, I just huck some fireballs in there and call it a day. I lack finesse like that. It's how I roll.

The cleric scrolls are, of course, Restoration. Into Shanna's backpack they go.

I'm not sure we should be here.

Ehn. If we keep killing diplomats long enough, they're bound to run out.

Isn't that, I dunno, an act of war or something?

Oh, no! They might start carrying off townspeople and converting them into undead!

Omigod! We should've thought of that before we started! :gonk:

...that's not sarcasm, is it.

???

mmh hllp

Hlp smone cvrd muh mff

Hoo boy. They're not sending their best.

Nope.

THE UNHOLY HOWLS, THEY HAUNT ME

Hoo brr. Nrr sndn thur bssst.

Npp.

Mummies are one of those weird enemies that rank kind of up-sideways on the "How Bad They Are Compared to a Spectre" scale. They have three major abilities that you need to be concerned about. First, they're immune to non-magical, non-silver weapons. This isn't a problem for us, since we're loaded to the hilt with magic weapons. It is, however, another reason not to come here before you've gone deep into the game.

Secondly, they immediately trigger a mass paralyze effect on your guys when combat starts. Even if you get the drop on them, they still get their fear aura first. Make a save, or your guys are super screwed. I don't know if it runs out faster or if Dispel Magic still clears it or what. This is the only time we'll be facing mummies—at least, for a long while—and I prefer to pummel them into tiny chunks before they one-shot any of our cowards party members.

I think we just burst into someone's home and killed them. Again.

If you're worried about moral grey areas, why'd you follow us in the first place?

It's not like *cough* I had a choice.

You okay there?

I'm fine. I just *cough hack* inhaled a little bit of *wheeze* dust from theblaaaaugh :barf:

Maybe we should've claimed diplomatic immunity.

Yikes.

Oh no! Shanna's caught the

:siren:DREADED MUMMY DISEASE:siren:

This is the last special ability a mummy has. If they plunk you and you fail your save versus disease, you catch the :zombie:DREADED MUMMY DISEASE:zombie:. What this means is:

• Cure Wounds doesn't work
  • Max HP starts dropping over time
  • Constitution starts dropping over time
  • Some losses become permanent if you put off fixing it for too long (I think, not 100% sure on this)

As you can see, the :ghost:DREADED MUMMY DISEASE:ghost: ain't nothin' to gently caress around with.

Know what else it is?

Phew.

So now we've broken into someone's home, killed them, and puked all over their floor.

Hey, we do one thing, and we do it well.

:spooky:DREADED MUMMY DISEASE:spooky: is literally a Cause Disease spell that's triggered on mummy damage. :newlol: It's too bad the mechanics of it are dumb as gently caress, because that name is fantastic. Fortunately, we're only one Cure Disease away from fixing it, and that's a spell Shanna already knows. Even more fortunate: because Chokes Has Played the Game™, I already had Cure Disease spells memorized. A quick cast, and we're back on the road.

Also, we get nothing for winning here. Not a thing. It doesn't even go against our kill counts since (thankfully) there's no mummy zone. Why do this fight? You shouldn't! There's absolutely no reason to! Any XP gains are about to be negated by level drain anyway! If you're not ferreting out content for other people's amusement, cruise right past this crypt and don't give it a second thought. It's a sucker fight from start to finish.

Hasn't stopped me before, won't stop me now.

I dunno, you guys. Maybe we shouldn't disturb the eternal slumber of departed heroes.

Really?

Hell no, gimme dat treasure.

What have you idiots gotten us into now?

A bunch of wights!

Yeah. Try to keep up, Justine.

Dang. You just can't stop getting owned, can you?

Here come dat wight zone :razz:

The game even throws in a little a ghouls, as a treat.

Ghouls are assholes because they attack multiple times a round and also paralyze. Our guys are not great at making to-save rolls, so after a couple of attacks at most, they're Helpless. The KO comes almost immediately after.

Their wight buddies, of course, still level drain. So, to recap: This is 8-12 monsters that drain a level on any successful damage and 4-5 monsters that are walking one-shots. Thanks, game! Really glad that's a thing!

KAPOW

We do have fireballs at the ready, which makes me feel a little better about our chances. Still, it's a mess, and we need two tries to win and four casts of Restoration afterwards. D&D undead may be horribly broken, but I'd like to point out yet again how merciful the game is being here. If this were Bard's Tale, we'd already be rolling up replacement characters.

Anyway, we've beaten the bouncers, so let's see what's inside. I'm sure the game won't mind a little graverobbing between friends.

loot plz

omg wtf

Aaaand once again we've pissed off a powerful ghost by stealing its stuff.

Maybe we should take a vote next time.

Huh. You didn't strike me as bein' a big believer in democracy.

Oh, it's totally rad! It's a perfect cover for nepotism and corruption.

I like the cut of your jib.

Thanks! I got it on sale and adjusted the hem myself.

Yikes.

Welp. Now we have to deal with the paladin. This is the only wraith in the game, by the way. All it has going for it is a :krad: sprite and a power level that's set to Spectre Jr.

There's not much to say here that hasn't already been said. We slug him in the face until he dissipates, cast Restoration a few times, and then rob his grave.

Does anyone else feel bad about taking a dead paladin's equipment?

Nope.

Nah.

I'm good.

Well, I feel bad.

Look at it this way. We freed his soul from the embrace of undeath, and we're using his instruments of justice for our own righteous cause.

That's... surprisingly comforting.

Hey! Check out this picture I found!

Wow. Who knew a wraith could have a wife and kid?

Saaaaay. I think we killed both of them a little while ago!

Well, at least I got a new hammer out of it.

There you go!

Also, I'll need a shower when we get back.

Trust me. There's not enough soap in the world that'll make you feel better about this.

Our reward for this is a Hammer +3 (!), Sling of Seeking, healing potion, some casts of garbage Tier 2 spells, and another Restoration scroll because :laffo: why the gently caress not. The Sling of Seeking is a +2 ranged weapon, anyone (except mages) can equip it, and it has unlimited ammo. So, it's actually pretty useful! We hand it to Sternn since it fits his M.O. and then promptly forget about it for the next two sections. (lmao I'm so bad at this sometimes) We also take a healthy chunk out of the wight kill counter. At least it was worth all the aggrevation.

(Fun fact about this section: the script is wrong. The text of this encounter got swapped with the one at (8,2), which we'll see next update. The rewards make a lot more sense once you take that into account.)

One last stop before this zone is done.

CHARRRRRRRRRRRGE

Aw crap.

:getin:

Because we ran out the wight counter on our way to the paladin, this poor guy is all that's left.

:rip: dead dude. Shanna's new hammer is already paying off. I'm more interested in THAC0 bonuses at this point than damage, but every little bit helps.

Trap inside. Unbelievably, everyone makes their save versus wand/rod and we avoid taking damage.

Upstairs, of course, we find the spectre responsible for the wights.

It ends about as well as you'd expect, although not before he costs us another two casts of Restoration. Quick reminder that spectres can permakill if you dick around too much. I actually had to restart this fight because Hanover got obliterated by getting drained past Level 1. These things happen :shrug:

*turns dial*

*looks back for approval*

*turns dial even more*

Graveyard completion status: 75%

We're coming down to the wire now. One section left to clean out, then we get to find out who's behind all this. Tune in next time for our exciting conclusion, where you'll hear a ~mysterious figure~ say:

I should've stayed in bed tonight. :(

Next Time: High Stakes Combat

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 7, 2020