Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

MorrisBae posted:

If I start a GoFundMe for a bunker and livestream myself 24/7 from it for one year, do you think I'll reach my goal, and how dumb will I look for doing so in a year's time

I should shoot for one of those luxury bunkers they made for rich people with swimming pools and butler service

If you claim you're just back from Wuhan I bet you'd have a lot of takers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Starks posted:

I thought this wasn't the case where I am but actually it turns out pharmacies do offer this, I guess they're just bad at advertising it. I feel like most people I've talked to about it think you have to go to a doctor but I concede that I was wrong. honestly my province's website doesn't do a good job of highlighting that either: https://www.ontario.ca/page/flu-facts#section-1 . It says participating pharmacy as a flu shot option but there's no link or additional info.

Virtually every pharmacy and grocery in the province has a flu shot program, and if you haven't seen the big "its flu season, get your shot from us" sign when you walk into your shoppers or loblaws, you need to spend less time on your phone.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

MarcusSA posted:

To Wuhan Flu, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

lol

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

The loudspeakers at O'Hare Airport, but instead of departure times its just the chorus to "Down With The Sickness"

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Not getting the flu shot is really dumb and also selfish. Herd immunity is a real thing and yeah - maybe Billy Jo won’t die if she gets the flu, but then she might spread it to someone who will.

Flu shots aren’t 100% effective because they aren’t always on target, but when you look at the huge numbers of infections each year, every little bit helps.

This applies 100x to one time vaccinations for vaccine preventable diseases like measles. Polio is gone but stuff like measles is somehow coming back due to dumb-as-gently caress anti vaxxers.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I just got my distemper shot yesterday

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Does the flu shot actually stop this thing though?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Chrs posted:

The flu shot stops the flu

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chrs posted:

The seasonal flu vaccine doesn't, no. No vaccine exists for it at the moment.

People are hard at work though, and we'll probably have a vaccine by this time next year!

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

redreader posted:

I moved to the USA about 12 years ago and before that I was in the UK, before that South Africa. I had literally never, ever heard of flu shots before. When I moved to the USA I saw a lot of info about 'get your shots' and my work had a free shots day, and I went and sporadically got my shot/didn't get it for the next 3-4 years and since then I've gone every single year.

The Dutch government only provides flu shots for over 60s and chronically ill. Anyone else needs a prescription from their physician and pay out of pocket. Apparently vaccinating young, healthy people only prevents one case per 64 inoculations and it's considered not effective enough to be worthwhile financially and medically.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

gently caress a flu shot, you'll not lay that mark of the beast on me

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
On the bright side this will be a net positive for the environment.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
3 more Japanese evacuated from Wuhan tested positive.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/7582dd522634-urgent-3-more-returnees-from-wuhan-test-positive-for-new-coronavirus-in-japan.html

In other news, the official who took care of the Japanese returnees killed himself.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/60b20ec3d693-japanese-govt-official-looking-after-returnees-from-wuhan-found-dead.html

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

That seems good

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

AlexanderCA posted:

The Dutch government only provides flu shots for over 60s and chronically ill. Anyone else needs a prescription from their physician and pay out of pocket. Apparently vaccinating young, healthy people only prevents one case per 64 inoculations and it's considered not effective enough to be worthwhile financially and medically.

Is that actually true though? Source? Also wonder if they factor in the cases caused by that extra case.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

AlexanderCA posted:

This is the policy I remember from my neck of the woods in the US up til a couple of years ago.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

AlexanderCA posted:

I don’t think this is true at all.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Horrible graph axes imo. Most people don't understand log scales at all

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the x-axis doesnt even benefit from that scale at all. also measuring something like polio only in fatalities

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Hey guys I got the virus

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Please advise

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Hey guys I got the virus
you can give your body more time to develop antibodies by diluting the wuhan virus in your system with supplemental semen

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Visit Trump rallies

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
My in-laws are in Jiangxi. Their housing complex has been barricaded. I'm spending my Saturday scouring locally owned hardware stores to buy masks. Even in suburban Tennessee, the chain stores have been wiped out.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Might not be far off though if you’re conservative with numbers. CDC’s conservative estimate is 40% reduction in flu cases. Annual risk of flu illness per person is 5-20%.

Doing the math: 40% of 5% = 2% which is equivalent to 1 in 50 inoculations being preventative.

However if you use the other extreme you get 60% of 20% = 12% which is equivalent to 1 in 8 inoculations being preventative.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
update I finally have nose symptoms so I guess I don't have the chinese death virus :(

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ruggan posted:

Also wonder if they factor in the cases caused by that extra case.

I'm sure the epidemologists at the RIVM totally forgot about that. You'd better email them.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

NihilismNow posted:

I'm sure the epidemologists at the RIVM totally forgot about that. You'd better email them.

Ok I’m on it captain

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ruggan posted:

Is that actually true though? Source? Also wonder if they factor in the cases caused by that extra case.

I have no idea if it's true. There's a bunch of people (serious business Healthcare professionals, not antivax types) arguing for and against maintaining flu shots for elderly/ill, etc . Haven't seen anyone arguing to expanding it to everyone iirc.

https://eenvandaag.avrotros.nl/item/is-de-griepprik-wel-nodig/

Apparantly these are the review studies that caused the discussion years ago:
https://www.cochrane.org/news/featured-review-three-updated-cochrane-reviews-assessing-effectiveness-influenza-vaccines

First one has the claim of 71 vaccinations of healthy adults per prevented case.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

TheAardvark posted:

update I finally have nose symptoms so I guess I don't have the chinese death virus :(

the elusive username/av/post combo

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
FWIW I asked my friends in UK and South Africa when flu vaccines became normal/popular there and apparently the answer is around mid-late 00's.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This may have to do with the technology of predicting what kind of flu will be popular next season/big data collection. Just a guess.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

redreader posted:

I have a colleague who is not dumb (master's in engineering) and her husband is an EMT. She never gets the flu shots because her husband has told her it's 100% worthless.

your friends are in fact very dumb.

being an EMT or having a masters doesn't necessarily mean you are less susceptible to misinformation or misguided panic, actually in many ways it makes you more likely to believe stupid poo poo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

coronavirus posted:

being an EMT or having a masters doesn't necessarily mean you are less susceptible to misinformation or misguided panic, actually in many ways it makes you more likely to believe stupid poo poo.

I know its a tired joke but lol at engineers not being dumb.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Conspiracy revoked bois

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1223692268672032774

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Wow just makes it seem more true if they’re covering it up like that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coronavirus posted:

EMT education also doesn’t include any immunolgy type stuff, and is mostly first aid, more severe trauma stuff, and “how to not have this person die right now”. There’s nothing about flu type stuff. Also, lots of EMTs are complete morons.

Source:EMT for five+years.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

gary oldmans diary posted:

[pitdragon pushes forward an offering of vulnerable cells for nutrition to wuhan]

honorable wuhan virus: [pushes them back] you depend on crowd immunity. do not be hypocritical

look im just saying goku never juiced up before fighting a villain

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/KAPPKVEW/status/1223706334710968320

cannolivirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
so hows this thing kill you anyway