Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aurora posted:

can broly beat gilgamesh

I think he'd remind gil of enkidu and they'd become friends but gil would be tsun about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aurora posted:

can broly beat gilgamesh

Depends, are we talking about Z!Broly or Super!Broly here?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

angel's notes was mentioned at a type moon event in this, the year 2020

(black bart's va was asked if he was a fan of type moon and he said he's been a fan for a long while and mentioned angel's notes as one of his favorite works)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

angel's notes was mentioned at a type moon event in this, the year 2020

(black bart's va was asked if he was a fan of type moon and he said he's been a fan for a long while and mentioned angel's notes as one of his favorite works)

I wonder if we'll see it adapted at any point? It's always seemed really neat but for some reason trying to read the translation just makes my eyes kinda glaze over.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Booty, I hafta ask: Does Gil scream "Lupiiiiiiinnnnn!" at one point?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wark Say posted:

Booty, I hafta ask: Does Gil scream "Lupiiiiiiinnnnn!" at one point?

he screams "MOOOOOONGREEEEL" in a similar enough context and Zenigata gets a lot of "LUPIIIIIIIIIIN"s in

e: also the villain of Woman Called Fujiko Mine is sort of, it's complicated a major antagonist, Green vs. Red is basically the aftermath of Lupin's death before he comes back as a Heroic Spirit, Pycal from the green jacket series comes back, and Lupin stealing Sakura from Zouken to secure Kariya's help is a giant Castle of Cagliostro reference

there's a lot of Lupin fanservice in there

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 1, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would not read this fanfic, but mostly because I want my Lupin to be in a light hearted adventure and not trudging through the Fate universe's....gunk.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Shinjobi posted:

I would not read this fanfic, but mostly because I want my Lupin to be in a light hearted adventure and not trudging through the Fate universe's....gunk.

Don't worry, the fic sucks Lupin and his entire verse's dick so hard it's also performing anal.

Like the part where the owl men single handedly beat Saber by drugging her where she experiences being beaten and almost raped by a random barbarian warlord she killed in the past to forcefully change her mindset to a more correct one, ie one Rider and the fics version of Lupin would prefer.

Not that Lupin's personality matters much, the writer changes his personality whenever it conflicts with the next kewl thing he's meant to do, signified by his jacket changing with the writer handwaving it as a different version of Lupin.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
:yikes:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheKirbs posted:

Don't worry, the fic sucks Lupin and his entire verse's dick so hard it's also performing anal.

:chloe: that's some interesting verbiage

quote:

Like the part where the owl men single handedly beat Saber by drugging her where she experiences being beaten and almost raped by a random barbarian warlord she killed in the past to forcefully change her mindset to a more correct one, ie one Rider and the fics version of Lupin would prefer.

the drug is a thing from Woman Called Fujiko Mine carried over basically 1:1 except that it can now do things to servants, from what i gather. the rest of that, especially the barbarian rape part, I don't remember and I'm kind of going "huh" at but I'm also going to be 100% honest I skimmed the "Saber tripping balls" parts because it wasn't my favorite thing. i might have just not caught that, and if i didn't, :yikes:

quote:

Not that Lupin's personality matters much, the writer changes his personality whenever it conflicts with the next kewl thing he's meant to do, signified by his jacket changing with the writer handwaving it as a different version of Lupin.

he's not exactly consistent within his own franchise and the fic is trying to gestalt all the weird different versions of him into a coherent timeline that also mashes up with fate, so, meh? and the jacket change happens once, and it made decent enough sense to my idiot brain

e: just to put a finer point on that, Castle of Cagliostro, in which Lupin is a heroic savior of princesses, came out a little over a decade after the original manga, in which Lupin rapes people. trying to make any version of Lupin that treats more than one version of him as canon, let alone goddamn all of them, make sense is a herculean fuckin' task and i do not envy anyone who tries it; the fact that the fic manages to come out with a semi-coherent characterization of Lupin by doing this, having him be sort of an ultra-hedonist who acts almost entirely in the name of personal enjoyment, is kind of amazing and a lot of why i was marveling at it, because that shouldn't even slightly work.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 2, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also if you're actually mad that a thing with Lupin III in it is mostly Lupin styling on everyone else around him, that kind of makes me think you're not incredibly familiar with the franchise, because... i mean... yeah? that's basically Lupin in a nutshell?

dude's basically Saitama but for stealing things instead of punching them, the fun of Lupin poo poo is seeing all the ridiculous things he pulls out of his rear end to ward everyone off. if he wasn't doing poo poo like stealing out of Gate of Babylon, and basically fulton-ing Sakura out her loving window MGS style with a rocket belt while Zouken can do nothing but shake his fist angrily, and literally stealing the Grail itself and keeping it as a cup, it would frankly not be faithful to one half of its source. that's kind of just how the man does.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My ideal Fate fanfic with a crossover is where there isn't a lot of dick stroking for either the Fate side or for whatever series it's crossing over with

This doesn't sound like one of them

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Compendium posted:

My ideal Fate fanfic with a crossover is where there isn't a lot of dick stroking for either the Fate side or for whatever series it's crossing over with

This tbh. Of course, my ideal Fate fanfic likely wouldn't be a crossover at all, but if it had to be one, I'd prefer it to be with a setting focused more on the characters than the action. i.e. Persona. I don't want "Jotaro Kujo is summoned as a Berserker and stomps his way through the war because literally nobody can both A. figure out he's stopping time and B. develop a countermeasure for that" or "the Power Rangers are summoned as a single Rider-class Servant and win the war by summoning the Megazord and crushing everyone else" or anything like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Compendium posted:

i'd describe it less as dick-sucking, and more as an inherent tonal mismatch between the two franchises that's going to make it a little jarring if you don't know lupin and aren't basically expecting this.

fate is... fate. nobody is overpowered in fate without either massive, massive tradeoffs or being a heroic spirit, and even most of the "OP" heroic spirits have some kind of achilles' heel or personal flaw that fucks them up. zero, in particular, is an absolutely absurdly grim story about a bunch of brokebrains murdering the gently caress out of each other, with all of the survivors being more or less crushed under the weight of the experience and having it define or outright ruin their lives from that point.

meanwhile, lupin III is a franchise about a bunch of cartoonish goofy thieves with absolutely ridiculous abilities stealing from weirdo supervillains, and they literally always win because they're over-the-top cartoon characters. like, goemon can cut planes apart in mid flight with his katana. that is an actual thing that happens multiple times in lupin media. and beyond tying bits of fate backstory in, and giving a few characters like kerry and risei prior history with or knowledge of the lupin gang, the fanfic pretty much plays the lupin gang dead straight as-is. usually it does this to mine comedy out of the sheer weird incongruity of the fate cast trying to maintain the gravity of the situation while lupin is there just being the most ridiculous motherfucker, but it also uses this to give characters who got hosed really bad by the events of zero happier outcomes, and it shits on the characters who did the ratfucking pretty hard. i think it manages to end up at a happy medium between the grimdark of regular zero and the over-the-top goofiness of regular lupin through how the two universes interact with each other, and that's a nice place for it to be

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Lupin does get pushed in his stories. Fujiko usually finds a way to screw him over and create chaos, there's usually one genuinely smart and dangerous villain amongst the rich idiots he mows through routinely, and Zenigata will help out sympathetic characters whose goals aren't wholly aligned with those of the Lupin gang.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

serefin99 posted:

"the Power Rangers are summoned as a single Rider-class Servant and win the war by summoning the Megazord and crushing everyone else" or anything like that.

This sounds incredibly fun to be honest and now I want to see it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ill just write a fanfic where musashi and osakabe make out and we can focus on that instead

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

Ill just write a fanfic where musashi and osakabe make out and we can focus on that instead

That'll be a tough sell, imo

Throw in a NP or two and you're golden.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

I played F/SN forever ago and maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but wasn't Rin way more into Artoria than Shirou in at least Fate and UBW?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'd describe it less as dick-sucking, and more as an inherent tonal mismatch between the two franchises that's going to make it a little jarring if you don't know lupin and aren't basically expecting this.

fate is... fate. nobody is overpowered in fate without either massive, massive tradeoffs or being a heroic spirit, and even most of the "OP" heroic spirits have some kind of achilles' heel or personal flaw that fucks them up. zero, in particular, is an absolutely absurdly grim story about a bunch of brokebrains murdering the gently caress out of each other, with all of the survivors being more or less crushed under the weight of the experience and having it define or outright ruin their lives from that point.

meanwhile, lupin III is a franchise about a bunch of cartoonish goofy thieves with absolutely ridiculous abilities stealing from weirdo supervillains, and they literally always win because they're over-the-top cartoon characters. like, goemon can cut planes apart in mid flight with his katana. that is an actual thing that happens multiple times in lupin media. and beyond tying bits of fate backstory in, and giving a few characters like kerry and risei prior history with or knowledge of the lupin gang, the fanfic pretty much plays the lupin gang dead straight as-is. usually it does this to mine comedy out of the sheer weird incongruity of the fate cast trying to maintain the gravity of the situation while lupin is there just being the most ridiculous motherfucker, but it also uses this to give characters who got hosed really bad by the events of zero happier outcomes, and it shits on the characters who did the ratfucking pretty hard. i think it manages to end up at a happy medium between the grimdark of regular zero and the over-the-top goofiness of regular lupin through how the two universes interact with each other, and that's a nice place for it to be

okay

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

I played F/SN forever ago and maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but wasn't Rin way more into Artoria than Shirou in at least Fate and UBW?

At the start this was very much the case but by the end of at least UBW Shirou has managed to edge Artoria out somewhat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wark Say posted:

in fate yeah, in UBW rin's answer to that choice is "yes"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

what does this have to do with osakabe and musashi making out, i ask you

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

In the prologue told from Rin’s perspective, I remember getting the impression that Rin was attracted to her friend, the Archery club captain, Mitsuzuri(?).

Ofc given that over the last few years the Beast’sLair translation has been found to be of questionable quality with mistranslated scenes or, in at least one case, a scene’s translation deliberately modified to “punch it up”* I don’t put a lot of faith in it.

* I’ll admit this is heresay and don’t have a source but I’m referring to Shirou’s reaction to learning about Mitsuzuri being assaulted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

In the prologue told from Rin’s perspective, I remember getting the impression that Rin was attracted to her friend, the Archery club captain, Mitsuzuri(?).

Ofc given that over the last few years the Beast’sLair translation has been found to be of questionable quality with mistranslated scenes or, in at least one case, a scene’s translation deliberately modified to “punch it up”* I don’t put a lot of faith in it.

that bit's definitely real. i mean iunno why people act surprised that og f/sn has lesbian subtext, akiha back in tsukihime is also blatantly bi and rin is pretty clearly in the same mold as her in a lot of ways.

also the scene where akira goes on a paragraph long rant about how attractive akiha's voice is.

also the scene where akiha talks about wanting to tie akira up and watch her squirm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also riesbyfe's existence though that was after f/sn.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

that bit's definitely real. i mean iunno why people act surprised that og f/sn has lesbian subtext, akiha back in tsukihime is also blatantly bi and rin is pretty clearly in the same mold as her in a lot of ways.

My reading of the good ending of UBW was that it was very much Rin creating a harem for herself.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The first sex scene in non-Realta Nua version of the Fate route also has Rin explicitly realize she has sexual interest in other women after she uh does stuff with Saber for a bit.

Like that's not subtext. That's just text.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

* I’ll admit this is heresay and don’t have a source but I’m referring to Shirou’s reaction to learning about Mitsuzuri being assaulted.

Rin Tohsaka, having been knocked to the ground with her magic rendered useless and having a sword pointed at her throat: Man she's hot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

what does this have to do with osakabe and musashi making out, i ask you
Piggybacking from your post when trying to remember stuff from the VN, since trying to play FGO on my phone makes it poo poo itself out (it barely runs FEH proper) and running it through the computer just isn't the same. :(

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yikes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

destroy this thread

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

actually lets wait and see how endorphs fic pans out

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally got up to date on the most recent episode of Babylonia and not really feeling this rear end pull of a new final boss.

Just having a literal "that wasn't even my final form" is just lame as hell and just invalidates any character sacrifices up to this point.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

There was actual foreshadowing for this in FGO, no idea why they cut out all of it from the anime though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There was slight foreshadow, when Merlin and Romani talked early in the show.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Rin was about to die and all she could think about was how hot Saber was in the prologue.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

Endorph posted:

This is absolutely the only fate content I am here for

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Tae posted:

There was slight foreshadow, when Merlin and Romani talked early in the show.

also the several times the goddesses mentioned Mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally got up to date on the most recent episode of Babylonia and not really feeling this rear end pull of a new final boss.

Just having a literal "that wasn't even my final form" is just lame as hell and just invalidates any character sacrifices up to this point.

may i point out that shes voiced by aoi yuuki. criticisms are null and void. thank you