Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Something to me is really funny in the scene where Picard steps into a doorway, puts a combadge on his featureless old man chest that they've zoomed in on for some reason, and then calls the guy who made the Baby Beluga song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brawnfire posted:

Wasn't there another sorta-Federation in Starfleet Battles? They should bring that back in. Two seemingly equal and benevolent allied powers bumping up against each other and vying for member worlds could be interesting.

That was the Interstellar Concordium (ISC for short). They were on the far side of the Gorns and Romulans from the Federation, and had a unique (and very cleverly designed) weapon. They were interstellar pacifists, or at least were willing to conquer all the empires that had just had a long and massively destructive war in order to bring peace to the galaxy.Like the Federation they were multicultural idealists, just with very different ideals.

I liked episode 2, but it was very obviously the middle part of 3. I expect the pacing to sort itself out starting with episode 4.

The commodore (which is a rank between captain and admiral) and the lieutenant were obviously Romulan infiltrators, anyone who missed that needs to put their phone down while they're watching.

My theory that Dahj might have actually grown up like a normal person got shot to hell. I still think that faking a background that gets you a research fellowship at the Daystrom Institute is a tall order, but ok, it happened.

I would have liked to see a Section 31 show where it's 31 versus Tal'Shiar on both sides of the Neutral Zone. The big reveal at the end of Season 2 could have been the main characters discovering that Romulans are a Vulcan offshoot. That's exactly the sort of really heavy and consequential secret you would keep so restricted that not even a starship captain on assignment to the Neutral Zone has need to know.

edit.
A buddy just linked me an Easter Eggs video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7h6KNVQTZQ) that caught that there was an Ensign Clancy on TNG who looks a lot like Admiral Clancy. Enough alike that the vlogger assumed they were the same actress instead of just (possibly) the same character. But if she had served under Picard, that adds some spin to that scene.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 1, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

mllaneza posted:

The commodore (which is a rank between captain and admiral) and the lieutenant were obviously Romulan infiltrators, anyone who missed that needs to put their phone down while they're watching.

I don't think it's entirely clear - the lieutenant is obviously a Romulan, but she describes the commodore as an ally who might turn on them, which makes it seem to me like they're not directly working together, just that their interests align. I'm still leaning towards her being a Vulcan who sympathizes with the Romulan double-secret service and their anti-synth agenda, not an active member of the Romulan conspiracy. I could well be wrong, but I don't think we've been given enough information to make any conclusion...

(Plus, it would be weird if one Romulan agent was surgically altered to pass undetected, while another one just used the old 'pass for Vulcan' trick and didn't bother...)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
On topic of that 'residue traces of contact' on Dahj's pc:
It is acshually very plausible. Imagine if all the pcs and phones are the same but if a person picks it up it would scan the face for biometrical info and just access correspondent profile on the FedNet, returning contacts, photos etc.
When a call is established, on your side it detects the face of the caller and tells you the name. In case you are the owner and when you pick up the phone recognizes the calling side as yourself too because all the biometrical scans are 100% identical, it leaves an error in logs, because 100% coincidence in two sides should never happen so this has to be looked at and corrected. Self diagnosis sort of thing.
Forgive me my sloppy engrish but I hope I explained understandably.

mllaneza posted:

My theory that Dahj might have actually grown up like a normal person got shot to hell. I still think that faking a background that gets you a research fellowship at the Daystrom Institute is a tall order, but ok, it happened.

I mean, she hacked starfleet-restricted FedNet and found Picard in like 20 seconds, wouldn't be hard to create all the relevant info and cross-checks with 100% accuracy.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
God drat do i hate it when shows establish sibling relationships by having one character call the other "little sister" or "big brother" in casual conversation

Is this how siblings talk? If it is I'll take it back but until then, :argh:

(And I'll only take it back if the characters continue to do it beyond their introductory episode)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do you not have siblings?

We always called each other dougebag or fuckstick so I can't actually answer that question.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

God drat do i hate it when shows establish sibling relationships by having one character call the other "little sister" or "big brother" in casual conversation

(And I'll only take it back if the characters continue to do it beyond their introductory episode)

My Sister and I sometimes do this but only when it's a pissing match where we are both trying to prove a point. Also long shot theory: Did the Romulans way back when inadvertently create the Borg? It would explain the zeal and shame of an original sin.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

J33uk posted:

My Sister and I sometimes do this but only when it's a pissing match where we are both trying to prove a point. Also long shot theory: Did the Romulans way back when inadvertently create the Borg? It would explain the zeal and shame of an original sin.

Oh Christ I hope not.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I've always called this "remember how I'm your dad?" dialogue, which is an actual line from a film I once saw.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh Christ I hope not.

The Borg were meant to be what caused those Romulan bases to go missing in The Neutral Zone...

(yes this would probably be really lovely)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've always called this "remember how I'm your dad?" dialogue, which is an actual line from a film I once saw.

I’ve largely come to ignore dialog like this because it’s there to make sure dumb as poo poo American television audiences don’t miss the point, that said the most hilariously inept one of these I’ve ever seen was in Game of Thrones’ first pilot to establish that Jaime and Cersei are twins because Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Lena Headey 1) look nothing alike, and 2) don’t even speak with the same accent :v:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh Christ I hope not.

Honestly me too as it wraps it all up in far too a clean fashion but drat if it doesn't seem probable given the information at hand. I will happily be destroyed by a throw away line in the next ep.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I had "As you know, your father, the king," stuck in my head as an example of that sort of dialogue, googled it and of course it's a joke from a Discworld book.

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve largely come to ignore dialog like this because it’s there to make sure dumb as poo poo American television audiences don’t miss the point, that said the most hilariously inept one of these I’ve ever seen was in Game of Thrones’ first pilot to establish that Jaime and Cersei are twins because Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Lena Headey 1) look nothing alike, and 2) don’t even speak with the same accent :v:

Yeah they added more references when they re-shot the pilot since people who saw the original version didn't realise they were siblings.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Angry Salami posted:

I don't think it's entirely clear - the lieutenant is obviously a Romulan, but she describes the commodore as an ally who might turn on them, which makes it seem to me like they're not directly working together, just that their interests align. I'm still leaning towards her being a Vulcan who sympathizes with the Romulan double-secret service and their anti-synth agenda, not an active member of the Romulan conspiracy. I could well be wrong, but I don't think we've been given enough information to make any conclusion...

(Plus, it would be weird if one Romulan agent was surgically altered to pass undetected, while another one just used the old 'pass for Vulcan' trick and didn't bother...)

No, she accurately describes the Commodore as her boss/handler who just literally and unambiguously threatened to kill both her and him if they don’t get results.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tighclops posted:

The Borg were meant to be what caused those Romulan bases to go missing in The Neutral Zone...

(yes this would probably be really lovely)

Right, when the experiment went awry they shoved the Borg through a wormhole into the Delta Quadrant and then (believed they) collapsed it behind them. See VOY: "Eye of the Needle"

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 1, 2020

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I liked the sign in the cube counting the days since the last assimilation.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brawnfire posted:

Right, when the experiment went awry they shoved the Borg through a wormhole into the Delta Quadrant and then (believed they) collapsed it behind them. See VOY: "Eye of the Needle"

:aaaaa:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

J33uk posted:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh Christ I hope not.

The Romulans accidentally created the borg when trying to reprogram Control to bring the Klingon's head ridges back.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm kind of curious if any other TNG episodes like Unification will be important to the plot of Picard, what with the emphasis on Romulans and all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The Romulans accidentally created the borg when trying to reprogram Control to bring the Klingon's head ridges back.

"Are you certain this will work, Romulan?"
"Sit back and relax, what's the worst that could possibly happen?"

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 1, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

No, that's not how people talk, but it's done a lot on serial television and in soap operas in order to make people just tuning in feel less lost. This episode was a lot slower than the first one, mainly because the scenes between Narek and Soji went on way too long and it felt like the usual "let's draw in more audience by showing hot people making out" TV filler insertion. There was also the CSI: Picard scene, which was pretty long, but I enjoyed it and the Romulan molecular reconstruction tech nevertheless.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 1, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

star trek Picard more like staren'trek puckered

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Brawnfire posted:

Eye of the Needle is low-key one of my favorite Voyager episodes. I don't know how to explain why, but the idea of the Romulan slowly warming and the hope that maybe he got a message off is just great, especially for early Voyager.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess we're going with some Romulans look more non Vulcan than others. Sex Romulan clearly just has pointy ears, but the Health and Safety Romulan clearly had more sharp features. I guess there have been inbreeding with Remans or their other subject species?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

I guess we're going with some Romulans look more non Vulcan than others. Sex Romulan clearly just has pointy ears, but the Health and Safety Romulan clearly had more sharp features. I guess there have been inbreeding with Remans or their other subject species?

They’ve said the Romulans on Picard would have varied looks to kind of make sense of the different makeup jobs and make it seem like a realistic population with less homogenized physical traits. I assume this is also how they’ll weasel away from using the Disco Klingon look and move back to something closer to the familiar post-TMP makeup.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'm kind of curious if any other TNG episodes like Unification will be important to the plot of Picard, what with the emphasis on Romulans and all.

Almost certainly because then they can talk about :spock:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I mean, she hacked starfleet-restricted FedNet and found Picard in like 20 seconds, wouldn't be hard to create all the relevant info and cross-checks with 100% accuracy.

Generally yes. I suppose I'll just have to be impressed that they also faked a publication history (Dr. Maddox could just use some of his unpublished work) and references (letters from prominent but reclusive academics maybe).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Generally yes. I suppose I'll just have to be impressed that they also faked a publication history (Dr. Maddox could just use some of his unpublished work) and references (letters from prominent but reclusive academics maybe).

I'm thinking Maddox crafted her and Soji's backgrounds from an idealized version of his own personal history and just figured no one would notice or care. Dahj getting into Daystrom was probably all part of some long con plot to get him remote access to his old lab and tech and have her work on stuff for him as a sleeper agent without anyone but maybe Jurati realizing it until it was too late.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bring 👏 back 👏 stupid 👏 Romulan 👏 haircuts

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PostNouveau posted:

I thought one of the guards in the Borg cube had a classic cut.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

PostNouveau posted:

"i didn't know romulans could be so..." "hot?"

the romulan:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Admiral Bosch posted:

"i didn't know romulans could be so..." "hot?"

the romulan:

The Big Book Of British Romulan Smiles

it's literally 1 page long because Romulans never smile

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I thought one of the guards in the Borg cube had a classic cut.

There was. She was on the left side right as they were entering the gray zone.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Retrowave Joe posted:

There was. She was on the left side right as they were entering the gray zone.

I think she had half of a traditional cut. It kind of looked like the left side was cropped really short.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think she had half of a traditional cut. It kind of looked like the left side was cropped really short.

...great, now my OC donotsteal is a cute femme Romulan with a half-shaved bowl cut who bakes traditional Romulan cookies for her bristly Andorian girlfriend because it reminds her of her lost homeworld

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There were a few people in the cube that had haircuts based on the traditional style.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I do appreciate they're doing something with Romulan culture. Phentypic differences and different haircuts and political opinions are nice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

I was about to say the timing didn't work out right, since IIRC "Eye of the Needle" has the Alpha Quadrant exit exist like 50 years in the past, but I guess with wormholes you can just say that whatever process the Romulans used to miraculously make a wormhole to the Delta Quadrant also made it end up tiny and in the past.

But if the super secret version of the already super secret Romulan police have existed as long as they're implying, then if the Romulans DID create the Borg, it would have been hundreds of years ago, not 30.

That being said, after reading that theory and how it's clear this series focuses on Romulans, their aversion to artificial life, and The Borg, I'm 100% sure that will be the big reveal at the end of the season, continuity be damned.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 2, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It just cheapens the Borg. The whole fun of the introduction of them is Q going, "Yo Picard you think you're the poo poo because you can hang with Space Mongolians and Space Romans? gently caress you. Here is something that you can't talk to, can't beat, and can't relate to. Something truly alien."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

There's whole episodes of Voyager talking about the borg threat being thousands of years old - like wasnt it from an eyewitness who was trapped in the past or something - which makes the romulans made the borg problematic.