Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The playerbase may be small, but that doesn't mean there can't be a repeat of the uo volunteer lawsuit.

iirc, they won and got paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Freakazoid_ posted:

The playerbase may be small, but that doesn't mean there can't be a repeat of the uo volunteer lawsuit.

iirc, they won and got paid.

We er uh I mean they did

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1201796325806878720

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Tighten up the graphics on level 3.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

More data for faster loads, so they just chopped off the decompression step. Good work everyone

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

http://www.lycantic.com/lord-british-officially-in-corven/

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
friendship ended with SHROUD

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Corven?

quote:

Can you figure out why you are in this strange land? Does it have anything to do with your depression? Does this strange land maybe even hold the key for you to redeem yourself?

Okay...

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

quote:

Lord British will not just be a gimmick

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quite telling that in a game market where niche CRPGs have made a very successful revival, the only ones that seem to be able to get Garriot involved are amateurish asset flips or outright scams. It's kind of like the gaming industry doesn't really need him anymore...!

It feels pretty bad making fun of this company though, it's pretty clearly a heartbreaker RPG by an inexperienced team. It's kinda like kicking a puppy.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Tying Garriott to your project these days is the kiss of death. Death and a guarantee of shittiness.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Lord British putting his name on some dog turd is the equivalent to a mtv real world star doing a guest appearance at a club in Milwaukee

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Every time I see "Corven" my brain keeps telling me someone misspelled "Coven".

The trailer is so sad, it comes off like a little kid who just played Skyrim and is trying to impress his mom by passing off everything in the game as his original idea:

"Mmm hmm. Sounds fun, dear. Can you take out the garbage please?"

Edit: lol:

Truly deserving of Garriot's seal of quality

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 6, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
STORY-DRIVEN

THE EMPHASIS OF CORVEN IS ON IT'S STORY.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Could they make it sound even more like they're just reading off a checklist of "RPG Features".

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Lord British Magnanimously Permits RPG Developer To Suck His Dick.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So the takeaway is; the makers of Generic RPG #11735 gave Garriott $200 for the rights to use Lord British in their lovely game, in the hopes that it will lure in Ultima nerds, even though the 17 Ultima nerds remaining are cursing Garriott's name because they blew their life savings on SotA?

That's some fine businessing there, Lou.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
It was almost certainly way more than $200 and probably included a cut of the gross. Garriott's doesn't seem to be nearly done cashing in on his formerly good reputation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looked up some gameplay video of Corven, and we are not missing anything.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Looked up some gameplay video of Corven, and we are not missing anything.

They haven't done their kickstarter yet. Wait until they get some cash and can afford the good Unity assets!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the guy who founded that Corven kickstarter posted a ton in the SOTA troll subreddit as corv_ryan. he's also an extreme right-wing lunatic who posted endless conspiracy theories and was broadly unhinged and abrasive

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

the guy who founded that Corven kickstarter posted a ton in the SOTA troll subreddit as corv_ryan. he's also an extreme right-wing lunatic who posted endless conspiracy theories and was broadly unhinged and abrasive

THE OFFICIAL DICK "LORD BRITISH" GARRIOTT SEAL OF APPROVAL

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Frog Act posted:

he's also an extreme right-wing lunatic who posted endless conspiracy theories and was broadly unhinged and abrasive

Are you saying he is a Star Citizen?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

No one will ever know. Last I saw, he was purging his posts from the SotA forums and elsewhere after his big announcement.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
What’s a crpg? Crappy rpg?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sometimes it means computer rpg but more often than not it's what you said.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you look at a Kickstarter game and you immediately know it's just one guy who went thru a Unity tutorial to create a basic RPG template and then spent 40 hours hand placing stock assets on a single map and thinks they can make a game out of it. Garriott is so disconnected from modern game development he doesn't even recognize that and instead puts his seal of approval on it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/521068660

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dementropy posted:

Alexander DeLarge hyping SotA should've been a big red flag for everyone, in retrospect.

Before that, Ultimate Collector or whatever that bullshit garage sale game was that Garriott made before this dumpster fire.

Except instead of vitrually flipping assets, Portalarium turned it into a business model.

Alex was a stratics mod if I’m not mistaken which means he’s probably just brain damaged enough to think that a UO successor could or would exist in the modern era.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Make My MMO: The biggest MMO crowdfunding news of 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Shroud of the Avatar boots real-money transactions off its forums

quote:

Real-money traders, you are no longer welcome on Shroud of the Avatar’s property. At least, that’s the message being sent by Catnip Studios, which declared a unilateral ban on RMT starting in the new year. This ban only applies to the forums, which the studio is attempting to clean up.

“Starting on January 1, 2020, roughly 2 days from now, no RMT (real money transaction) will be allowed in our private forums,” said Catnip. “Existing posts for RMT will be deleted. New posts will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be moderated or banned.”

Catnip had to shut down the thread due to an outcry of angry RMTers who found their welcome cut short. “This does not mean that we will not allow RMT, simply that you can’t use the forums to do,” the studio stressed. “As discussed in multiple places, this is a support headache for us and gives the wrong impression of the game to new players.”

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Chris
Tech Lord

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1213203350730289153

:reddit: :

"Port/Chris have conditioned so many of the remaining players to do stuff for free - be the sole source of QA, rely on players to do its "advertising" (via streaming, FB, etc., all while never paying a dime of its own money to do it), and community management.

This has, of course, been happening in the background for almost the entire life of the project, but dollars to donuts that Chris is announcing Ravalox and Elgarion as "official" with developer tags to make it seem like he is actually hiring people. When in reality these two and others have been doing this type of work all along. There are at least two or three other players that have acted in a forum mod capacity. Pure Chris bullshit about growing the team, in my opinion. Best in the business folks.

I can't believe players do all of this poo poo for them and ask for more."

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SotA is in safe hands.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There has never been a better time to invest a grand seven grand into an internet castle.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085

Hurry buy now! Only 2 of 8 available!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

DancingShade posted:

There has never been a better time to invest a grand seven grand into an internet castle.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085

Hurry buy now! Only 2 of 8 available!

To think, it's taken them almost a full year to sell 6 of those, and they started off with 3 groups of 8 each in anticipation of high demand.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Since Garriott washed his hands if this he will now send his Segway doppelgänger in his stead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010