Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

welp, hopefully soulflayer will still work at the FNM level. At least I didn't spend a lot of money on bad cards. Questing Beast, murderous rider and Sylvan Caryatid can be used other places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

A Moose posted:

welp, hopefully soulflayer will still work at the FNM level. At least I didn't spend a lot of money on bad cards. Questing Beast, murderous rider and Sylvan Caryatid can be used other places

Just splash hate atm and also either terrible or awesome. It is a cool deck that will stomp anyone not really prepared for it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ShaneB posted:

We've been modern and pioneer focused since the format dropped.

admittedly I hvaen't been listening since I lost my car. You were my go-to podcast to listen to on my way to work.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Played an Orzhov Heliod Combo brew to the Brussels GP today, 3-4 drop. Didn't see Inverter after seeing little else online, but beat monoblack twice, once by topdecking a plains to execute to combo at 3 life and time up. Also beat an odd aura deck that self mills and uses stuff like Royal Scions to bin auras for the red Theros guy that gets all the auras in the GY when it lands, but just didn't go off.

Lots to think about, I'd like to sharpen the deck up for some events tomorrow. Mainly I feel I have to play underwhelming cards at 2cmc, but I got talking into dropping white cards to activate Heliod and using Gifted Aetherborn, who have been great.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
SA MTG thread has some dumb tangents, but I think "microwaved water isn't the right kind of hot" is one of the dumbest one yet.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

speaking as an american with an electric kettle, I actually found this tangent to be pretty interesting

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Aranan posted:

SA MTG thread has some dumb tangents, but I think "microwaved water isn't the right kind of hot" is one of the dumbest one yet.

Tea kettle. Almost like a time walk...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Aranan posted:

It's like having mismatched basics in your modern deck. Doesn't make any functional difference, but drives some people up the wall.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I didn't really notice a change in taste when I was able to go from microwaving my tea to using an electric kettle, but the electric kettle is a massive quality of life improvement. None of that trying to get the time correct or whatever, I just hit the switch and go do whatever else for a while and then at some future point I am able to conveniently pour water at a near-ideal temperature

Rinkles posted:

pt top 8

Bant Spirits
Mono-Red
Dimir Inverter
Lotus Breach
Mono-Black
Bant Spirits
Niv to Light
Sultai Delirium

(pioneer)

I assume that the Top 8 is distorted by Limited rounds, right? How'd Inverter do against the field, was it the bogeyman that people feared?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Double bant spirits? As I live and breathe!

I won Pioneer FNM last night on Bant Spirits, deck is gas when the mana cooperates. I even won it having cast 0 CoCos the whole night!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

JerryLee posted:

I assume that the Top 8 is distorted by Limited rounds, right? How'd Inverter do against the field, was it the bogeyman that people feared?
It did well, but other decks performed better - Sultai Delirium (69%), bant spirits (62%), lotus breech & Heliod company & mono red (58%), and Inverter (54%). The one note would be that a large number of the field was on inverter compared to all the others which had a much smaller metagame share - it was the best performing large metagame share deck but a lot of pros were on it. Niv performed poorly for as large of a meta share that it had

Link
https://www.minmaxblog.com/magic/2020/1/31/pioneer-pt-deck-stats-win-and-metagame-

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 1, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rinkles posted:

pt top 8

Bant Spirits
Mono-Red
Dimir Inverter
Lotus Breach
Mono-Black
Bant Spirits
Niv to Light
Sultai Delirium

(pioneer)

WOW heliod IS SO BROKEN WOW

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dehtraen posted:

It did well, but other decks performed better - Sultai Delirium (69%), bant spirits (62%), lotus breech & Heliod company & mono red (58%), and Inverter (54%). The one note would be that a large number of the field was on inverter compared to all the others which had a much smaller metagame share - it was the best performing large metagame share deck but a lot of pros were on it. Niv performed poorly for as large of a meta share that it had

Link
https://www.minmaxblog.com/magic/2020/1/31/pioneer-pt-deck-stats-win-and-metagame-

These sample sizes all suck honestly. Once we have data from Nagoya I'll feel more confident.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Getting 54% in a hostile metagame is pretty good, assuming people predicted that it'd be a big deck and tuned against it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

WOW heliod IS SO BROKEN WOW

Ballista is the problem but it looks like they can leave it alone.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jabor posted:

Getting 54% in a hostile metagame is pretty good, assuming people predicted that it'd be a big deck and tuned against it.

Yeah, between Heliod Company and MWD, the combos putting up some pretty decent numbers for being in a presumably hostile meta.

That said, Sultai Delirium is putting absolutely nuts numbers up for a deck that is a very known entity in the format. I have to assume that it's Inverter and Mono-black matchuips are both pretty good and a lot of decks just didn't bring anything to deal with it in the face of Inverter/Heliod/Mono-Black Aggro. Or maybe they just thought it was dead post-Oko? (Why, I wouldn't know, since I'd consider any deck that has a reasonable chance to resolve an Emerkul a major threat to keep an eye on, Oko or nOko.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 2, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ballista is the problem but it looks like they can leave it alone.

I laugh every time someone calls ballista a problem. :laffo:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This page has a larger dataset with more realistic confidence intervals: https://mtgmeta.io/tournaments/798

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The Lotus Breach data isn't great because the two different builds are very different

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

We've definitely covered "no kettles in America???" At least once maybe twice before but "microwaved water doesn't make tea right" is as dumb as that discussion is ever going to get so fingers crossed we never come back here again.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Jabor posted:

The deck coming out a week before the tournament resulted in a lot of people not really having tuned lists against it - the most tech we were seeing was Gideon of the Trials. Everyone else seemed to be defaulting on graveyard hate being enough against the deck but a number of times on coverage the graveyard hate looked actively bad. Emrakul the Promised End seemed to be a pretty crushing card vs the deck since it could actively set up a loss for the UB deck if the right pieces were in hand

Looking forward to the Top 8 tomorrow and also more of the Nagoya coverage

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Reprint Torpor Orb IMO

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I won Pioneer FNM last night on Bant Spirits, deck is gas when the mana cooperates. I even won it having cast 0 CoCos the whole night!

I’ve also been playing bant spirits in pioneer (gotta stay on brand) and I’m really enjoying it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I forgot Scooze was legal in Pioneer, surprised it doesn't show up more often considering how popular it is in Modern.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Reprint Torpor Orb IMO

I’d love to see Torpor Orb and Cursed Totem reprints into Standard without stapling them into a bad mono-W body.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I forgot Scooze was legal in Pioneer, surprised it doesn't show up more often considering how popular it is in Modern.

It's literally the only green 2 drop that gets played.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ShaneB posted:

Sylvan Caryatid?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShaneB posted:

Once Upon a Time
Abrupt Decay
Burning-Tree Emissary
Assassin's Trophy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Satyr Wayfinder

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Once Upon a Time
Abrupt Decay
Burning-Tree Emissary
Assassin's Trophy

Mono green. Also OUAT is banned. And BTE isn't really played outside of mono green devotion decks which are deadish.

Sylvan counts tho. And satyr. But those are in specific decks. The green 2 drops and 2 drops in general are pretty bad in Pio.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'2 cmc green spell' and 'green 2 drop' aren't the same things. satyr wayfinder is the actual correct rebuttal to that statement, however

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Do we consider these PTs? Or are only Player's Tour Finals PTs?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

No one cares about organized play anymore.

Hence microwave chat

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I’d love to see Torpor Orb and Cursed Totem reprints into Standard without stapling them into a bad mono-W body.

Torpor Orb is the type of card that will show up as a garbage rare in an upcoming Core Set when they want to introduce it into Pioneer.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

God, getting to ignore someone's Dream Trawler is just so good. My opponent dropped one, said "Good Game" and then I just absolutely wrecked them anyway.

Also, no one expects Mystic Repeal. I have gotten a ton of use out of that card and my opponents are frequently mousing over the card in my gy to find out what the hell just happened.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Two rounds into a Pioneer PTQ and I've not played any Magic yet, just watch Oracle of Thassa solitair. Fair to say Play Design should just be humanly destroyed at this stage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Inverter combo was a very well known entity heading into this weekend, what was your game plan for the matchup?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Two rounds into a Pioneer PTQ and I've not played any Magic yet, just watch Oracle of Thassa solitair. Fair to say Play Design should just be humanly destroyed at this stage.
Why do you think this is play designs fault, they only deal with standard as far as I know

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Play design wasn't even an entity when inverter was made!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

mandatory lesbian posted:

Play design wasn't even an entity when inverter was made!!!

Inverter is not the problematic card, the card that puts an “I literally win the game” trigger on the stack with virtually no counter play, is the issue and this is, I believe, the same
Play-Design team that brought us Oko.