Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

30 minutes of free time per day doesn't leave you time to play in a tournament, so the argument that "look buddy I don't have time to paint anything so I need to go to these tournaments with unpainted models" is a poor excuse.

With contrast paints all you need to do is spray all your models grey seer, slap on three or four contrast paints, and then use the technical paints on the bases. Even if a tournament was only a one day event that you're able to go to, you can just, you know, not go and unless you're playing an Ork army with 300 models I'm 100% confident I could paint a standard 2,000 point marine army with contrast paints to a "3 colour" minimum in a full day.

Bear in mind here the model in the middle is what GW says is the "bear minimum":

If you don't have the time to gradually paint your models to "red armour, yellow helemet, black weapons with a bit of silver, and technical paint on the base" level, you don't have enough time to play the game.

Get the gently caress out of here with this lovely gatekeeping. Maybe someone likes playing more than they like painting. Maybe someone has 30 minutes a day normally but can occasionally swing a day for a tournament, which they go to to get a few games in. Maybe they paint their poo poo to a high standard, so it takes them a while to finish each unit. Should all these people not be allowed to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you're in the hobby for like 10 minutes, you probably know someone who'll get your figures to 3- color standard for like, a case of beer and a trip to McDolands.

You can rattle-can that yourself if you don't.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Neglect your friends and family to paint imo

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

slut chan posted:

Is this that 20 buggy list I linked a bit back? I didn't have the name associated with it, regretfully.

5 scrap jets
3 shokkjumps
3 wazboms for following them with kffs and as mobile smash a guns
3 big meks with SAGs
2 traktor kannons
1 weirdboy
1x 28 squad of gretchin
2x 10 boys squads

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Booley posted:

Get the gently caress out of here with this lovely gatekeeping. Maybe someone likes playing more than they like painting. Maybe someone has 30 minutes a day normally but can occasionally swing a day for a tournament, which they go to to get a few games in. Maybe they paint their poo poo to a high standard, so it takes them a while to finish each unit. Should all these people not be allowed to play?

I like playing exclusively with and against painted models. I make a point of ensuring everything is fully painted and wysiwyg. I attended a beginners tournament where it started with 250 points and went up by that much every 2 weeks. The rules were it all had to be painted. After the 2nd session that was abandoned and by the end of it most armies were 100% grey plastic and it wasn’t what I signed up for. I take a long time to paint stuff - probably a month for a tank or a 10 man infantry squad. I have 2 small kids, a full time job, a rigorous exercise routine. I still think a fully painted army is a must. And really you don’t have to be good - like others have said a spray base coat and 2 colours as detail. Then it will look passable across the board and importantly the model becomes much more readable for your opponent than grey plastic.

You consider this gate keeping but most see this as the minimum of the hobby - it’s a collecting and playing hobby, not a super tightly balanced computer game.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Nuntius posted:

I like playing exclusively with and against painted models. I make a point of ensuring everything is fully painted and wysiwyg. I attended a beginners tournament where it started with 250 points and went up by that much every 2 weeks. The rules were it all had to be painted. After the 2nd session that was abandoned and by the end of it most armies were 100% grey plastic and it wasn’t what I signed up for. I take a long time to paint stuff - probably a month for a tank or a 10 man infantry squad. I have 2 small kids, a full time job, a rigorous exercise routine. I still think a fully painted army is a must. And really you don’t have to be good - like others have said a spray base coat and 2 colours as detail. Then it will look passable across the board and importantly the model becomes much more readable for your opponent than grey plastic.

You consider this gate keeping but most see this as the minimum of the hobby - it’s a collecting and playing hobby, not a super tightly balanced computer game.

That's quite the avatar you have

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nuntius posted:

Have you seen any of my posts? My armies are entirely painted to a pretty drat high standard. I vastly prefer to play against other painted armies. But just because that's what I like out of the game doesn't mean that other people don't like other things, and we shouldn't force them to stop playing because of that.

Also, painting 250pts/2 weeks is a real tough schedule, I certainly wouldn't be able to keep up with that unless I sacrifice every single one of my other obligations or drop the standards of how I want my army to look.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Someone call Leonard J Crabs, this thread requires an expert in Poe's Law.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

"bear minimum"

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Booley posted:

Have you seen any of my posts? My armies are entirely painted to a pretty drat high standard. I vastly prefer to play against other painted armies. But just because that's what I like out of the game doesn't mean that other people don't like other things, and we shouldn't force them to stop playing because of that.

I have. Your armies are beautiful which is why it seems really odd you wouldn’t want to be a little selfish about it and play against people who enjoy the whole hobby. There are definitely people just starting out but they wouldn’t likely be doing tournaments.

quote:

Also, painting 250pts/2 weeks is a real tough schedule, I certainly wouldn't be able to keep up with that unless I sacrifice every single one of my other obligations or drop the standards of how I want my army to look.

It was tough hence why it was dropped after the first week. I agree it was too tough and a schedule I couldn’t keep up with. It was a flgs opening up and trying to create a 40k community overnight. He offered a prize pool that was greater than all the entrance fees to try and get people playing. The guy who one had a net listed bare plastic army worth less than the prize pool.

It would have been nice if there had been more of an emphasis on hobby rather than waac.

I don’t really know what I want from this hobby other than time painting without tiny children grabbing at me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kitchner posted:

30 minutes of free time per day doesn't leave you time to play in a tournament, so the argument that "look buddy I don't have time to paint anything so I need to go to these tournaments with unpainted models" is a poor excuse.

With contrast paints all you need to do is spray all your models grey seer, slap on three or four contrast paints, and then use the technical paints on the bases. Even if a tournament was only a one day event that you're able to go to, you can just, you know, not go and unless you're playing an Ork army with 300 models I'm 100% confident I could paint a standard 2,000 point marine army with contrast paints to a "3 colour" minimum in a full day.

Bear in mind here the model in the middle is what GW says is the "bear minimum":

If you don't have the time to gradually paint your models to "red armour, yellow helemet, black weapons with a bit of silver, and technical paint on the base" level, you don't have enough time to play the game.

how are you this much of a gatekeeping rear end in a top hat when you've been playing the game for about 20 minutes

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like how using two different colored primers and spraying bases brown is being lauded as some insurmountable hurdle.

"No grey plastic" is the only way to enforce "don't netlist," because netlist / flavor of the month / WAAC / whatever players are universally allergic to paint.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 1, 2020

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I would rather play against grey plastic than someone "painting" an army by slamming 3 contrast colours onto flat surfaces in < 24 hours

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
I would like to sarcastically apologize for not dedicating literally every waking moment not spent working to painting models in order to appease a handful of asshats on the internet.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nuntius posted:

I have. Your armies are beautiful which is why it seems really odd you wouldn’t want to be a little selfish about it and play against people who enjoy the whole hobby. There are definitely people just starting out but they wouldn’t likely be doing tournaments.

Because I'm not a selfish rear end in a top hat?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Booley posted:

lol apparently it's now "gatekeeping" to suggest that, in a hobby which is designed around buying, assembling, painting, and then playing with models, that you should do the bare (not bear) minimum to paint your models which would take basically no time at all in the grand scheme of things, before you go to events where people who have often put a lot of effort into your models will be playing against you.

If you're not even going to bother putting in a tiny bit of effort to paint your models, you may as well not even buy them. You might as well buy a cheap bucket of green plastic army men and say they are space marines, because what you're telling me is that the modelling/painting side of the hobby isn't what interests you, you're here for the lore and GW's great and balanced rules (lol). If you just really like the setting, there's genuinely better things to play than 40K if you hate painting and modelling so much you can't gradually paint an army to such a low standard.

It's OK that some people aren't into the painting side of the hobby that much, that's OK, I'm one of those guys. That doesn't mean you can just ignore it's part of the hobby, which is widely recognised and it's why tournaments generally have a minimum painting standard.

If you're literally brand new into the hobby and you've just bought and stuck together your models for the first time and you want to use them in a game, sure. That's totally different to being in the hobby long term and using "I don't have enough time to paint" as an excuse for not painting anything. That's not the reason, the reason is you dislike painting so much you don't to spend even a couple of hours painting some models.

Corrode posted:

how are you this much of a gatekeeping rear end in a top hat when you've been playing the game for about 20 minutes

lol only in 40K do you find grognards that try to insult how little time you've spent playing the game when you've been playing on and off for 15 years.

What's that? You did even play a game in 2nd edition? How the gently caress would you know anything about this hobby you loving casual!

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 1, 2020

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah painting a 2k army takes what, fifteen, twenty hours?

Practically no time!

P.S. you are a gigantic twat if you haven't figured it out yet.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Kitchner posted:

lol apparently it's now "gatekeeping" to suggest that, in a hobby which is designed around buying, assembling, painting, and then playing with models, that you should do the bare (not bear) minimum to paint your models which would take basically no time at all in the grand scheme of things, before you go to events where people who have often put a lot of effort into your models will be playing against you.

If you're not even going to bother putting in a tiny bit of effort to paint your models, you may as well not even buy them. You might as well buy a cheap bucket of green plastic army men and say they are space marines, because what you're telling me is that the modelling/painting side of the hobby isn't what interests you, you're here for the lore and GW's great and balanced rules (lol). If you just really like the setting, there's genuinely better things to play than 40K if you hate painting and modelling so much you can't gradually paint an army to such a low standard.

It's OK that some people aren't into the painting side of the hobby that much, that's OK, I'm one of those guys. That doesn't mean you can just ignore it's part of the hobby, which is widely recognised and it's why tournaments generally have a minimum painting standard.

If you're literally brand new into the hobby and you've just bought and stuck together your models for the first time and you want to use them in a game, sure. That's totally different to being in the hobby long term and using "I don't have enough time to paint" as an excuse for not painting anything. That's not the reason, the reason is you dislike painting so much you don't to spend even a couple of hours painting some models.

lol only in 40K do you find grognards that try to insult how little time you've spent playing the game when you've been playing on and off for 15 years.

What's that? You did even play a game in 2nd edition? How the gently caress would you know anything about this hobby you loving casual!

You are a lovely person who makes this hobby worse for people, good job.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kitchner posted:

the mere idea of a tournament that might allow people to play unpainted horrifies you so much that you vomited this garbage up

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Wow. Yeah you need to chill and just let people enjoy playing with their toys.

Take a bath, go for a walk, meditate.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kitchner posted:

Congratulations, you're what's wrong with our hobby.

"If you don't paint to my standards, you don't deserve to play."

"If you haven't played as long as I have, you don't deserve to play."

"If you don't know the game as well as I do, you don't deserve to play."

"If you don't laugh at my jokes, you don't deserve to play."

"If you aren't a straight white male like me, you don't deserve to play."

Guess what? These are all gatekeeping. Once you start deciding that it's fine to exclude people for one arbitrary reason, it doesn't take much to start deciding that other reasons are valid too. All it takes is for some newbie to get discouraged because you're throwing scorn at them for being eager to play even without your level of painting and what do you know? There's one fewer person in the hobby, and we're all worse off because of it.

You're why the rest of us have to deal with the reputation of being intolerant assholes, and I'd wish you'd cut it the gently caress out. :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My favourite part is how apparently requiring painting is supposed to improve their winrate against the field by excluding any of the new hotness. What patently self-serving horseshit.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

Congratulations, you're what's wrong with our hobby.

"If you don't paint to my standards, you don't deserve to play."

"If you haven't played as long as I have, you don't deserve to play."

"If you don't know the game as well as I do, you don't deserve to play."

"If you don't laugh at my jokes, you don't deserve to play."

"If you aren't a straight white male like me, you don't deserve to play."

Guess what? These are all gatekeeping. Once you start deciding that it's fine to exclude people for one arbitrary reason, it doesn't take much to start deciding that other reasons are valid too. All it takes is for some newbie to get discouraged because you're throwing scorn at them for being eager to play even without your level of painting and what do you know? There's one fewer person in the hobby, and we're all worse off because of it.

You're why the rest of us have to deal with the reputation of being intolerant assholes, and I'd wish you'd cut it the gently caress out. :colbert:

I don't really think it's gatekeeping or a controversial opinion to ask people to paint their models to literally a bare minimum standard to take part in a ticketed event for a hobby based around collecting, painting, and playing with miniatures.

I've literally said none of them other than "I think having some sort of minimum painting standards before you take part in tournaments is good, and if you have the time to take part in tournaments, you have time to paint your army to literally the lowest bar possible". The rest of those are just strawmen that I don't think I've ever heard anyone seriously advocate in real life. Anyone saying that using contrast paints on some miniatures is some sort of snobbish painting standard is honestly ridiculous, an 8 year old can apply three contrast paints to a model.

The reason 40K people are seen as intolerant areseholes by people in general is easy to see, just look at all the replies to me.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Strobe posted:

My favourite part is how apparently requiring painting is supposed to improve their winrate against the field by excluding any of the new hotness. What patently self-serving horseshit.

I don't play but from what I've read about ITC stuff the players who can afford to "follow the meta" can probably afford to have someone paint their stuff to the tabletop standard, so that requirement only benefits the hardcore players

a basic army, accessories and rulebooks is already a big investment for most players, especially younger ones, so wysiwyg and minimum painting standards makes it that much harder to get involved

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booley posted:

:ironicat:

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Kitchner posted:

The reason 40K people are seen as intolerant areseholes by people in general is easy to see, just look at all the replies to me.

"These people aren't letting me exclude people from a game for arbitrary reasons and that makes them the intolerant assholes, not me."

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Seeing this thread get hyper aggressive, start throwing around personal insults, and telling people how to enjoy the hobby while chastising them for the same thing will never not be entertaining.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

All over "maybe paint your models in this model painting hobby" loool

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Man that is a ton of posts I wonder what :yikes:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm getting triggered by somebody preferring to play against painted models

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Painted another wierdboy today

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll paint my minis but I ain't basing those motherfuckers

(I like the plain, solid-color bases because it makes it easier for me to imagine the little dudes running across whatever terrain they're fighting on today)

the only thing I personally have against unpainted minis is that it can be hard to tell at a glance what something is, but the same is true with someone painting everything the same 2 colors I guess.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

Painted another wierdboy today

How dare you.

(those cloak and feathers turned out real good)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm getting triggered by somebody preferring to play against painted models

Man, if only there were a difference between this and "if you don't paint your models just stay at home".

Oh wait, there is.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
this is really loving embarrassing guys

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Marin Karin posted:

Hams.txt

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'll paint my minis but I ain't basing those motherfuckers

(I like the plain, solid-color bases because it makes it easier for me to imagine the little dudes running across whatever terrain they're fighting on today)

the only thing I personally have against unpainted minis is that it can be hard to tell at a glance what something is, but the same is true with someone painting everything the same 2 colors I guess.

Grab some Vallejo basing stuff. I used to hate basing but now I really like it! It's fun!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Marin Karin posted:

No wait let’s hear them out I think they’re about to resolve their differences through the power of debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

does the vallejo basing stuff make the bases invisible or something??? lol