Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

So if I was ordering a hinge for the trunk behind the driver in a RHD skyline, we are thinking I should order the “right side” hinge, correct?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I got my fancy export certificate from Yoshi, and I was able to e-stalk the seller/previous owner. It's some 4WD/RV shop in Sapporo, Hokkaido.

I sent them a note asking for any maintenance records they might have :shobon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's that white boxy thing?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What's that white boxy thing?

This thing? It's a camper sitting behind a tow truck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, this one

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I'm not up on recent tiny Japan cars...but here's another photo. I'm sure someone can ID it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
2G Toyota bB? (JDM Scion xB)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It looks like they took both gen XBs and an XD and tossed them in a blender. I dig it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dagen H posted:

2G Toyota bB? (JDM Scion xB)

Yep, one of those.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Let's just say that although the holes are in the frame for 4WD parts on an S80 Hijet, that even with a donor car and sawzall it take a long loving time to swap it in. Ugh

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 29, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DJ Commie posted:

Let's just say that although the holes are in the frame for 4WD parts on an S80 Hijet, that even with a donor car and sawzall it take a long loving time to swap it in. Ugh

why do that to yourself when you can just buy this:

It's a 1986 Daihatsu Charade Turbo convertible. I can't find evidence of a factory soft-top so this has to be some sort of aftermarket modification. It's so RED.

I did not buy this btw, no AC but also there is no way in hell that mileage is honest as the auction sheet is listed as the vehicle having been repainted and the seats being worn AND faded.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Definitely haven't seen one of those before!

I am already asking about another fire truck tonight...

There is a Cara up today https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tzXprwTC5wcRP8x.htm

everdave fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 30, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

Definitely haven't seen one of those before!

I am already asking about another fire truck tonight...

Just out of interest, what are the numbers like for bought vs. sold for you these days? I.e. how many cars do you own.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just out of interest, what are the numbers like for bought vs. sold for you these days? I.e. how many cars do you own.

Including what is still in Japan I own 15 total right now. I have sold 6 total before this.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

So, I received my export docs from Yoshi today.

I will need to get them in the hands of the driver so they can pick up the vehicle.

How do ya'll handle this normally? I have to mail them, likely FedEx overnight or something. I was thinking mailing them to a local post office. I'm currently discussing with my broker and the carrier operator. I'm sure we'll figure something out it just seems like a PITA.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

So, I received my export docs from Yoshi today.

I will need to get them in the hands of the driver so they can pick up the vehicle.

How do ya'll handle this normally? I have to mail them, likely FedEx overnight or something. I was thinking mailing them to a local post office. I'm currently discussing with my broker and the carrier operator. I'm sure we'll figure something out it just seems like a PITA.

I email them copies of the documents and my driver goes and picks the vehicle up.

Why....why would they need the originals? :confused:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My driver doesn't get any documents except a Delivery Order that my broker makes (before I had my broker and things were easy had to call the port and pay $75). No documents but that needed. At least for me.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

My broker (Sound Brokerage) insists on delivering the originals to the port.

You're saying they can be printed digital copies?

I'm very very confused here.

is anyone here currently working with Sound Brokerage and not doing this?

From Sound's summary of import steps:

quote:

Step 13 - After Collecting your vehicle – Go to CBP office

You will then head to the Customs Border Protection office to finalize your paperwork. Note – you will need any original documents that were provided to you by the seller at origin along with the entry packet that we provided to you in step 10.

They are located 5.3 miles (11 mins) from the terminal.

Address: 2202 Port of Tacoma Road, Tacoma WA 98421

It's written for the Tacoma port but the same is applying in my case here for some reason.

Maybe there's no real way to tell if they're originals and so printed copies work? How would you really know? Plus I assume they don't keep them.

Kaker/everdave, do either of you import via Port of Tacoma? I forget which of you are on the east coast...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 31, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

My broker (Sound Brokerage) insists on delivering the originals to the port.

You're saying they can be printed digital copies?

I'm very very confused here.

is anyone here currently working with Sound Brokerage and not doing this?

From Sound's summary of import steps:

It's written for the Tacoma port but the same is applying in my case here for some reason.

Maybe there's no real way to tell if they're originals and so printed copies work? How would you really know? Plus I assume they don't keep them.

Kaker/everdave, do either of you import via Port of Tacoma? I forget which of you are on the east coast...

I do not, I port in Jacksonville. I simply take the packet sent to me by Yoshi, forward that to my driver with the request, a couple pictures of the vehicles and that's it. They show up at my place with the vehicle.
I've used many different companies and countless drivers, this is how it's always done. Nobody touches the originals besides me and the state of Florida.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Wait so you do send the packet of docs you receive in the mail? Or you send the "packet" of digital scans?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

Wait so you do send the packet of docs you receive in the mail? Or you send the "packet" of digital scans?

Sorry, yes the digital pack that Yoshi emails. I simply send that digital packet to my driver with the request for pickup and delivery.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

why do that to yourself when you can just buy this:

It's a 1986 Daihatsu Charade Turbo convertible. I can't find evidence of a factory soft-top so this has to be some sort of aftermarket modification. It's so RED.

I did not buy this btw, no AC but also there is no way in hell that mileage is honest as the auction sheet is listed as the vehicle having been repainted and the seats being worn AND faded.

G10/11s are scary ancient engineering and that one doubly so , but that one is so cool! They're a carbureted CB series 993cc engine, called the CB61 and are the same engine as used the Innocenti Detomaso Turbo. Hilariously, the US was the one of the only markets to receive an EFI version of the CB engine in the G100 Charade we did get. The only 3 cylinder Charade parts I've kept is the intake manifold/TB/injectors/distributor because they are pretty desirable for Charades in Australia/SE Asia.

I'm almost done with my S80 4WD conversion, I've basically had to make a 4WD radiator from a 2WD one by moving the filler neck and resoldered on the 4WD bracketry to the end tanks. Glad I have 5 of everything and a complete parts donor. I'll make a write-up of my S210p Hijet once I get this thing done, it still won't start even with an expensive ECU from Japan. :(

If anyone wants to LHD/MPH swap an S80 variant, I have ALL the parts to do so.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 1, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
At Savannah my driver takes a GA port authority delivery order and that is it. No documents are sent except maybe a BOL from my broker

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Ok apparently Tacoma is way stricter on this and sound brokerage is mainly a Tacoma operator so it's what they're used to. But after bringing up your guys experiences my broker understands it could be different elsewhere and will call the office once the vehicle is about to be unloaded.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Re official docs: if you get knocked back, ask if a notarised copy of the original is sufficient. That's what I'm always asked for for visa documentation, etc.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Actually my broker doesn’t even contact my driver I text him the pdf of the delivery order. That is it. Now Savannah is known as being the most lax but I sure wouldn’t be sending a random driver the original documents.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

Ok apparently Tacoma is way stricter on this and sound brokerage is mainly a Tacoma operator so it's what they're used to. But after bringing up your guys experiences my broker understands it could be different elsewhere and will call the office once the vehicle is about to be unloaded.

I have heard that too, Tacoma is wicked strict about all sorts of things. So much so that I probably wouldn't even use them as a port because goddamn the stories I've heard. They treat everyone like crooks.

EDIT yeah and my broker doesn't talk to my drivers at all. The broker just goes 'ok shits released' and I go 'dang ok' and then I send the driver.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 1, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If they do insist on "originals" you can probably get any office supply type place to make copies that will pass. I would really hesitate to send out your originals that you definitely will be hosed if lost.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Okay here's another possible fuckaroo for which I need soothing goon voices.

Mandee from Sound Brokerage raised the issue that none of the official docs JCD sent me say ANYTHING about the date of manufacture being November 1994.

They all say it's a 1995. Fine, so did the auction listing itself. The VIN pullled up Nov 1994 however, and Yoshi confirmed that it would be okay for import by the time it showed up. That's a super given.

But the kicker which I don't understand is, again, none of the docs I received (export cert, etc) show November 1994.

And only the export cert is specific to the month, wherein under "First date of registration" it says March 1995.

Am I hosed?

I have an email out to Yoshi...

And note that I did ensure to write "November 1994" on both the EPA and DOT forms. But without official docs to back it up, why would the import authority believe them?

Blargh!

edit: drat that was quick...Yoshi replied and said he would try and get his forwarder (who is that?) to change it to 1994. gently caress me...boat arrives on Sunday. I think it's doable. Can I expect that if there's a hiccup it just sits at the port until its sorted out? No big deal, realistically speaking right? As long as the first docs we submit are the right ones, it's all good...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 1, 2020

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I do not have an answer for you on the date front but I hope you get it sorted. I would assume as long as you submit the correct ones first it should be OK.

That said, I use sound and had the same experience re: original documents - Mandee had me send the actual original copies to my driver, but as I use long Beach the driver didn't even open the fuckin package.

Sound was very surprised to hear that, but as you said, I think it's because tacoma is very strict and requires the originals whereas ports like long Beach appear to not give a flying gently caress.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 1, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The rule is date of manufacture, not date of first registration, right?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The rule is date of manufacture, not date of first registration, right?

Right but I am curious where that is officially documented.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
No where that I can recall on any document does it show date of manufacturer that Ian just by VIN. I have had a few cars that their date of first reg which is on Japanese export cert was a year plus after manufacture. To the USA all that matters is date of manufacture I have no idea about Tacoma

Edit: does not doesn’t

everdave fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 1, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

:raise: I don't fully understand your wording unfortunately. You're saying none of your docs ever mentioned the date of manufacture? And then sometimes the date of reg was over a year after that date? So even more extreme than my situation? Do they just look up the VIN or how do they confirm it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

:raise: I don't fully understand your wording unfortunately. You're saying none of your docs ever mentioned the date of manufacture? And then sometimes the date of reg was over a year after that date? So even more extreme than my situation? Do they just look up the VIN or how do they confirm it?

My theory is they go buy what is put on the DOT and EPA forms, and really don't look that closely as long as the year of manufacture was 25 years ago. Especially since kei vehicles don't even get marked for month in Japan, *only* by year on their paperwork.
Again, Tacoma probably cares a whole lot but they seem to care about most things too much. Probably because there are a billion chumps trying to make easy money importing from Japan since it is just across the sea.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Do the larger, regular vehicles show year and month of manufacture on an info plate somewhere on the vehicle? I went thru my photos of it but don't have anything like that unfortunately, if it even exists.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doesn't the main VIN tag usually have a month/year on it?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Doesn't the main VIN tag usually have a month/year on it?

That is kind of what I'm hoping for at this point. It would be nice to get confirmation from someone who has a larger JDM import (ideally an Isuzu).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

That is kind of what I'm hoping for at this point. It would be nice to get confirmation from someone who has a larger JDM import (ideally an Isuzu).

There should be a picture of the tag in your dock pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

There should be a picture of the tag in your dock pictures

The only tag-like photo I got was this and OCRing it showed it to be all maintenance/safety stuff.