Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Ranged and melee damage is high, has good survivability, percent damage, takes camps, has good wave clear, has escapes/mobility.

I think he's only missing crowd control really.

Moba wet dream as far as heroes go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The only "nice things" that are missing from Greymane's kit are Crowd Control, Sustain, and Stealth - and he can spec into that last one with a talent if he feels like it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think the fundamental problem with Deathwing isn't so much the hero itself, though it's certainly pretty absurd, but how it has a massive effect on QM composition. If DW is up against a bunch of percent-damage dealers then it's pretty nullified and doesn't contribute much. But if it's against a team of low-damage CC types then it can single-handedly carry a lot of games. The already swingy QM gameplay has become hugely reliant on auto-matching protocols that players have no control over - leading to a lot of stomps. Either you participate in the meta that has rendered dozens of heroes obsolete, or you run the risk of simply losing because you're on the wrong end of a dragon that your team can't do anything about. Brawl has this element a bit, having some AOE heroes like Kael'thas or Kel'Thuzad that can intrinsically dominate the mode, but at least there's enough randomization that you're not likely to see one every game. As it is, QM is rolling the dice during comp as to whether a match will be at all competitive. Obviously you can avoid this issue entirely with parties and Storm League, but the vast majority of players aren't using those features.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
That is just another example of the Genji problem where if you have no hard CC on your team you just auto lose if the enemy Genji is competent which shows either QM is a mode that shouldn't be supported, people need to be better at drafting, and or that rock paper scissors heroes don't work very well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Oh yeah QM is completely hosed atm due to DW. But also I never thought QM was a particularly good mode so.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Aaod posted:

That is just another example of the Genji problem where if you have no hard CC on your team you just auto lose if the enemy Genji is competent which shows either QM is a mode that shouldn't be supported, people need to be better at drafting, and or that rock paper scissors heroes don't work very well.

Genji, like you said, requires competence to play well. Deathwing definitely doesn't. And he shuts down a swathe of heroes in a way that Genji never has. If this is the new meta then QM is unplayable since every game is just up to the comp gods. And all that is before getting to the actual experience of playing against him, which is mostly just frustrating bullshit. Even without considering the massive health, healing, AOE damage, and burst - it's effortless to prevent a team from capping an objective just by lobbing fireballs or laying down a carpet of fire. And if you're playing a hero that isn't designed to counter him, then there's very little you can do about it other than wait for a new game.

Like the xp balls, the devs have been feeling fairly willing to enact changes with or without public support for them. Since from all accounts the developers seem pretty happy with playing DW, and don't seem that concerned about the effect the hero is having on QM mode, it probably isn't going to change at all so this is just the new game.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 13, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I've been saying for years that extreme designs and hard-counter heroes were going to gently caress things up and part of me is happy that Deathwing is showing how true that is.

Edit: And it's even funnier because they said they were going to try to cut back on extreme designs and hard counters and heavy emphasis on the draft phase and then just... removed passive Armor from tanks and called it a day.

Kith fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 13, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just in case everyone else missed it like I did, the world's chillest streamer, Grubby, is streaming HOTS again these days. He's been doing a lot of videos over the past month or so.

For instance this game as Cho'gall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7ZC7As_GI

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Kith posted:

I've been saying for years that extreme designs and hard-counter heroes were going to gently caress things up and part of me is happy that Deathwing is showing how true that is.

Edit: And it's even funnier because they said they were going to try to cut back on extreme designs and hard counters and heavy emphasis on the draft phase and then just... removed passive Armor from tanks and called it a day.

Since the devs seem pretty happy with Deathwing, perhaps they should round out the nonsense counters by offering up an anti-mage bruiser that is healed by ability damage. Sorry Li-Ming, time to try out an AA build! Then finish the set with a tank boasting an aura that slows enemy attack speeds by 100%. Practice your stutter-stepping Illidan!

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 13, 2020

Aaod
May 29, 2004
While somehow leaving other characters they have dumpstered previously alone for whatever reason like Nova. Blizzard bad at balance news at 11 I know but still.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Any idea when the promised Tass and D.Va reworks will happen?

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
Their current schedule seems to be a new hero every 3ish months with a hero rework in between those releases, so there is a good chance Tass is next. Probably in the next week or two if I had to guess. They have said nothing about D.va's rework progress.

I believe Deathwing was the last hero the full team was working on, so everything from now on will come from the skelton crew. The fact that they charged more for Deathwing under the explanation that "he's epic lol!" makes me suspicious that Blizz may have been trying to drain the last few drops of cash from this community before really pulling the plug sometime this year, knowing that DW was the last hero people were really looking forward to.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Deathwing would probably be fine if they got rid of the always unstoppable trait and adjusted some numbers around to compensate. He's already got massive damage vs heroes, good AOE damage, a good escape/initiate with his ult, gets his ult early, etc. He doesn't need to have every drat thing all at once and the unstoppable part is what makes him feel so annoying to fight against. Just this big dumb dragon tearing around the battlefield and you can't even meaningfully interact with him.

I play QM exclusively and seem to lose the majority of games where I go up against a Deathwing. If there's a Deathwing in the match, they almost always seem to get MVP even if they're on the losing team. The collective skill level of a team probably has a lot to do with it and I'm hardly a GM (I'd guess somewhere between gold-diamond), but even after the nerfs he's still completely dominant in my matches.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Tryna play this again to bond with nerd girl. Which orcs are still viable

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ignite Memories posted:

Fan keeps an updated tier list. Keep in mind this is just for draft modes and is particular to his perspective of usually being a GM who's expected to carry a team of diamond players to victory.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

All of them to varying degrees. Thrall fits on any team comp and is the safest pick. Samuro is probably the hardest to play.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kaal posted:

Since the devs seem pretty happy with Deathwing, perhaps they should round out the nonsense counters by offering up an anti-mage bruiser that is healed by ability damage. Sorry Li-Ming, time to try out an AA build!
Arthas does that at Level 20.

quote:

Then finish the set with a tank boasting an aura that slows enemy attack speeds by 100%. Practice your stutter-stepping Illidan!
Arthas also does that, although not up to 100%.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah but somehow Arthas doesn't feel bad to play against, like at all. I mean I don't play melee assassins because I don't hate myself enough for that but yeah I give zero shits about an enemy Arthas. His dumb rear end will probably take Sindragosa anyway.

Not saying he's bad. Objectively he's been one of the best tanks for the game's entire duration.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Grimdude posted:

Yeah but somehow Arthas doesn't feel bad to play against, like at all. I mean I don't play melee assassins because I don't hate myself enough for that but yeah I give zero shits about an enemy Arthas. His dumb rear end will probably take Sindragosa anyway.

Not saying he's bad. Objectively he's been one of the best tanks for the game's entire duration.

If I had to guess, the reason you think Arthas feels fair is because 3 seconds of spell immunity on a 60 second cooldown, at level 20, that requires some amount of skill to use effectively, isn't really comparable to what DW has.

That's just a guess though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yeah the timed element is pretty critical there, not to mention that it's a Level 20 talent rather than a Level 0 trait. It's the difference between adding a wrinkle and completely shutting down an entire type of hero.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Deathwing is pretty good but I’m just gonna keep Slam picking murky last and dominating the planet. Crush this Earth with fish slime.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Murky is honestly some straight up bullshit in the right games. Like yeah he's rear end against a lot of heroes but a lot of times I see him he's this unkillable god that requires at least two people to deal with.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I've abandoned slime time and my move now is to just octo-grab someone in my empowered W radius after a little whittling down. I've found a lot more success with that than trying to get slime stacks in QM.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Grimdude posted:

Murky is honestly some straight up bullshit in the right games. Like yeah he's rear end against a lot of heroes but a lot of times I see him he's this unkillable god that requires at least two people to deal with.

Murky is a contradiction. Fight him and your team yells at you for wasting time killing the Murky instead of doing something more important. Leave him alone and he'll push down all your forts/keeps while gaining such a huge exp lead that your team can't even win the 5v4 team fights anymore.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Murky is a contradiction. Fight him and your team yells at you for wasting time killing the Murky instead of doing something more important. Leave him alone and he'll push down all your forts/keeps while gaining such a huge exp lead that your team can't even win the 5v4 team fights anymore.

He's one of the last man standing of gutted/nerfed split lane pushers. XP orbs are a huge gently caress you to abathur and vikings these days. Murky, Zagara, and Xul can still run between lanes to split push each wave of minions. Passive xp soaking omnipresent multi-lane heroes are literally broken by xp orbs.

I've been grinding AI matches to try and get some new drops from the event board game rewards. It's relaxing and lets me try out bad talent builds. Lazy vikings (just use all 3 as a hero blob the entire match) can clean loving house when you get the "gain 25000 xp" event quest. I've completed it in a single elite AI match, multiple times. Just clear waves and constantly change lanes like you are ganking heroes. But instead just kill the minion wave and then move on to the next closest lane right away. Take all the extra minion damage talents. Baelog 100% splash. Extra move speed Erik to snag XP orbs when you shift lanes. Burning Olaf. 64KB marathon for faster lane switches. When you hit 20 and get fury of the storn for instant wave clear, you can delete heroes on click for bonus XP.

Just a blob of beards getting 70% of your team's XP. Triple split lane solo pusher.

edit: I can also consistently get top hero damage as Stukov, Auriel, or Ana without compromising on heals. Really fun to clown on your team mate Li Ming/Nova/Kael etc. and at the same time you save their life multiple times.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 1, 2020

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
You can absolutely still multi-soak with Abathur, you just have to be way more aggressive with your positioning and proactively use your symbiote to pick up orbs that would have otherwise been missed.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Shadowlyger posted:

You can absolutely still multi-soak with Abathur, you just have to be way more aggressive with your positioning and proactively use your symbiote to pick up orbs that would have otherwise been missed.

Using your symbiote is absolutely the way to go. Just pop it for a second to grab the globes at the right track one. The Abathurs that get in trouble try to forward position and get rocked.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kaal posted:

Using your symbiote is absolutely the way to go. Just pop it for a second to grab the globes at the right track one. The Abathurs that get in trouble try to forward position and get rocked.

Not if you're Fan, apparently.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Sometimes I forget just how much Raynor can actually scale in the late game. Like Execute kind of turns him into some kind of hillbilly death ray.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Shadowlyger posted:

Not if you're Fan, apparently.

Hahaha wow that's amazing.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Sometimes I forget just how much Raynor can actually scale in the late game. Like Execute kind of turns him into some kind of hillbilly death ray.

I've always liked playing Raynor for an easy ranged assassin win. Really his only difficulty is keeping your team from inting long enough for him to actually be useful.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

That is Jimmy

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Ace in the Hole seems like the more popular talent but I always take Veteran Marksman at level 1. If you really focus on getting those stacks and do a full AA build you become an absolute monster past level 20.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Man why do people insist on saying like "WHY DOES SO AND SO NOT HAVE THE BIG NUMBERS" like I get it, its a rough game and I'm trying my best. loving chill dude, how do you live your life like this.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Rexicon1 posted:

Man why do people insist on saying like "WHY DOES SO AND SO NOT HAVE THE BIG NUMBERS" like I get it, its a rough game and I'm trying my best. loving chill dude, how do you live your life like this.

Were we just in the same game? Our BW chewed me out.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Star posted:

Were we just in the same game? Our BW chewed me out.

No, its just consistently every game. It's 90% psychopaths playing this game now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rexicon1 posted:

No, its just consistently every game. It's 90% psychopaths playing this SORT OF game now.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
reinstalled today after a year long break and i have to say this game is as dead and gay as these forums

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

yeah it's definitely the something awful of mobas and i kind of dig that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

yeah it's definitely the something awful of mobas and i kind of dig that

poo poo when you put it like that it makes it cool and dead, the millennial dream