Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

gary oldmans diary posted:

so hows this thing kill you anyway

Fills your lungs with fluid I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
wuhan more like moran

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

riseofmydick posted:

There's really no way to know whether or not those missiles caused damage or not. Missiles get shot around in the middle east all the time and do nothing, for example, Israel is constantly getting hit by random missiles that don't do jack.

What kind of weird word salad is this? You can tell whether they did any damage by assessing the damage.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Where can I find the locations of all 8 US patients? I have been wearing mask in the subway, but so far masks are so rare inside MTA, SMH.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

AlexanderCA posted:

The Dutch government only provides flu shots for over 60s and chronically ill. Anyone else needs a prescription from their physician and pay out of pocket. Apparently vaccinating young, healthy people only prevents one case per 64 inoculations and it's considered not effective enough to be worthwhile financially and medically.

Interesting. In Austria, you can get flu shots at pharmacies and they cost almost nothing. Depending on where you live, it's even completely free.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Fills your lungs with fluid I think
https://i.imgur.com/7XvI4rD.mp4

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Drowning in your own fluids can’t be that bad right?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Fluid beyond measure, outlander.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://i.imgur.com/cARmxTn.mp4

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
good batte

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
You fool you've killed us all

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Lou Diamond Phillips will save us in this bat virus documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NWlsXlHT9Q

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
😍😍😍

Might have to get myself some bats.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

so hows this thing kill you anyway

Well first it makes you incredibly attractive, so until that happens you have nothing to worry about.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
daily update

304 dead, 13,950 infected

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
If only we could all be so lucky

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm infected with love for all of you, my posting buddies.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

daily update

304 dead, 13,950 infected

Those new 1900 cases are only for Hubei province. The rest of china hasn't updated

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm infected with love for all of you, my posting buddies.

That's sweet (please dont touch me)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
From BNO news

https://twitter.com/BNODesk

quote:

BREAKING: Epicenter of coronavirus outbreak reports 1,921 new cases and 45 new deaths, raising death toll to 304

Today will be the highest number of new cases since the outbreak began. 1,921 is only for Hubei province. The national update will be released in 1.5 hour.

Number of people in serious/critical condition in Hubei province rises to 1,562, up from 1,294 yesterday

While focus remains on Wuhan, the number of cases in nearby Huanggang has risen to 1,002 (up by 276 from yesterday). Huanggang announced earlier today that people will be banned from leaving their home, except for 1 person per family to get basic needs every other day

13,950 confirmed cases worldwide. The numbers on our virus tracker are updated throughout the day

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

2,000 in a day is kinda a lot.

Also there is no way people aren’t just dying at home and not getting counted.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MarcusSA posted:

There's going to be some of that for sure

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

MarcusSA posted:

I'm beginning to buy into the theory that they can only test ~2,000 people a day

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
2,000 new cases, not great, not terrible

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

How long do you think these 50 million people or whatever it's at now are going to be locked down? What happens when things start getting scarce or when the people who can't work because so much poo poo is closed down no longer have the money to buy food and supplies every two days?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

How long do you think these 50 million people or whatever it's at now are going to be locked down? What happens when things start getting scarce or when the people who can't work because so much poo poo is closed down no longer have the money to buy food and supplies every two days?

they'll get spicy and then get run over by an apc most likely

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ruggan posted:

Not getting the flu shot is really dumb and also selfish. Herd immunity is a real thing and yeah - maybe Billy Jo won’t die if she gets the flu, but then she might spread it to someone who will.

Flu shots aren’t 100% effective because they aren’t always on target, but when you look at the huge numbers of infections each year, every little bit helps.

This applies 100x to one time vaccinations for vaccine preventable diseases like measles. Polio is gone but stuff like measles is somehow coming back due to dumb-as-gently caress anti vaxxers.

It's only a matter of time until Polio outbreaks come back in the US, I'm pretty certain. If vaccination rates keep slipping then it's only a matter of time. So look forward to that I guess

the x-axis doesnt even benefit from that scale at all. also measuring something like polio only in fatalities

The x-axis is not in log scale, it's in linear scale but they added a major tick mark at 1.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mandatory forced vaccinations for all.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

2,000 new cases, not great, not terrible

If they're manifesting symptoms than those people were likely infected a week, ten day, maybe two weeks ago. China was still keeping that poo poo a secret from the masses and people we're still out and about. If we are still seeing 2000 new cases a day two weeks from now...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think you know what happens, or at least have as much of an idea as anyone else.

The Chinese government has promised to keep shipping in essential supplies but who knows to what extent that's being done. The supply flow is enough for now but may need to be increased as more people run out of essential supplies at home, it's unknown what those rates are or even what they need to be. Money is hypothetically not a concern if the government continues providing basic necessities to the quarantined areas, people there appear to be reporting that they're adequately supplied for now although a lot of fresh stuff has disappeared

If a quarantined area goes 2 weeks with no new detected infections then they'll probably end the quarantine and institute mandatory testing for a few weeks for anyone leaving the area, since any active infections are supposed to at least be testable by that point

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Acres of Quakers posted:

If they're manifesting symptoms than those people were likely infected a week, ten day, maybe two weeks ago. China was still keeping that poo poo a secret from the masses and people we're still out and about. If we are still seeing 2000 new cases a day two weeks from now...

you just responded earnestly to a chernobyl joke

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
nevermind the loss of human life, the real question is: how will this affect my Amazon purchasing experience :thunk:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Acres of Quakers posted:

If the infection rate remains linear like that then that'd actually be really good, with sustained effort you could probably completely eradicate it in a few months if the R0 is trending close to 1.

The fears right now are that 2000/day is just the limitation of accurate testing and that the true numbers aren't reflected in the reported numbers at all. A mere 2000/day limited to quarantine zones would be pretty awesome compared to that

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The infection and fatality rate spikes because people are no longer well nourished or treated enough for their immune systems to save them. Secondary outbreaks build up from the presence of dead, lack of sanitation/trash removal, etc. This is basically why quarantines are really, really measure of last resort and often do more harm than good but addressing major public health crises otherwise is a lot of :effort:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I guess I'm just wondering if China is thinking that far ahead, if they'll allow the Red Cross or other aid groups in to help, and that kinda thing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I guess I'm just wondering if China is thinking that far ahead, if they'll allow the Red Cross or other aid groups in to help, and that kinda thing.

You're underestimating the scale of such an operation.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

redreader posted:

I have a colleague who is not dumb (master's in engineering) and her husband is an EMT. She never gets the flu shots because her husband has told her it's 100% worthless. She's sort of scared to admit it because she knows she'll get shouted at, but also she still doesn't get the flu shot. I shout at her about it.

The next 10 posts will concentrate on the part of this post where I said I shout at women.

edit, she has 4 kids

LOL Engineers are famously dumb as poo poo about everything that isn't engineering. EMTs are wannabe firemen with a high school degree and a training certificate

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Vishass posted:

LOL Engineers are famously dumb as poo poo about everything that isn't engineering. EMTs are wannabe firemen with a high school degree and a training certificate

I'm gonna go ahead and say that everybody is extremely dumb about literally everything, and also state that on the list of people to make fun of emts should be bottom 5 because these people do one of the worst job on the planet and we all should be goddamn thankful that they do.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you should make fun of anybody and everybody who publicly espouses dumbshit opinions, regardless of their day job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

QuarkJets posted:

The fears right now are that 2000/day is just the limitation of accurate testing and that the true numbers aren't reflected in the reported numbers at all. A mere 2000/day limited to quarantine zones would be pretty awesome compared to that

From statnews.com
" And those numbers might be higher still but for the fact that China has a backlog of tests to be processed. Ryan said the problem isn’t testing reagents — the country has indicated it has adequate supplies — but the sheer number of tests that need to be run." Ryan being head of the WHO Emergencies Program.