Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Concerned Citizen posted:

nah it's cool, now that the poll wasn't released you can just pretend it's whatever you wanted it to be. that's the magic of imagination!

I can't loving believe it's finally Klobering time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

King of Solomon posted:

I mean, you're not wrong overall, but keep in mind how the Reagan administration handled the AIDS crisis.

Someone having AIDS was a pretty big stigma until the early 90s, and even after that. I fall in the younger Gen-X spectrum (born in 77), so while I don’t have a lot of distinct memories of what the public sentiment was when Reagan was making those decisions, I do remember there was more of a turning point after Freddie Mercury died. I don’t remember that being a really big platform issue when I voted for president back in 1996. LGBTQ rights as a whole weren’t really taken seriously in the Dem platform at the time, either. Hell, DADT was instituted in 1994.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It sounds like one person who was a respondent to the poll got mad and called the newspaper to say it was biased because they didn't like the wording of the questions or Pete want an answer in every question or something

one person complained that pete wasn't listed with the candidates, and when they asked for the list repeated the person mispronounced buttigieg's name.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The real takeaway here is how they're willing to bend over backwards to keep from upsetting the centrists when you know that a poll that had errors unfavorable to Bernie would get released as normal with an asterisk/editor's note at best.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It sounds like one person who was a respondent to the poll got mad and called the newspaper to say it was biased because they didn't like the wording of the questions or Pete want an answer in every question or something

Nate Cohn had a twitter thread about why this probably isn't it. This is the relevant tweet for the argument:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1223790666511192064

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
If some interviewer really left off Pete's name, why doesn't DMR just toss just that data and rerun the results with a (presumably slightly) smaller N and a somewhat higher MoE?

The issue probably wasn't *too* widespread or someone would have caught it much earlier.

This makes no sense as reported.

e: proper use of parentheses

Armack fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 2, 2020

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

I can't loving believe it's finally Klobering time.

Neither can her staffers.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Two possibilities:

1. Their servers got swamped and it crashed.

2. They don't believe the numbers so they are double checking them, which may result in:

2A. Double checking the numbers and releasing them late. Possibly with biased language.

2B. "Adjusting the Poll" Altering the parameters of the poll so that it changes the numbers.

Those are my guesses.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Armack posted:

If some interviewer really left off Pete's name, why doesn't DMR just toss just that data and rerun the results with a (presumably slightly smaller N) and a somewhat higher MoE?

The issue wasn't probably wasn't *too* widespread or someone would have caught it much earlier.

Maybe they are dumb and don't keep track of who called who

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
DMR just didn't want to admit that everyone demanded that the pollster accept their JEB! response.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Armack posted:

If some interviewer really left off Pete's name, why doesn't DMR just toss just that data and rerun the results with a (presumably slightly) smaller N and a somewhat higher MoE?

The issue probably wasn't *too* widespread or someone would have caught it much earlier.

Unless the results are good for Bernie and this is a flimsy excuse, then it makes perfect sense

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Maybe Pete was polling behind Yang, but it was a strong polling behind Yang

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Office Pig posted:

Neither can her staffers.

I would argue they're the ones who expect it the most.
To their faces.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

joepinetree posted:

This is a dumb and pedantic argument to have. My argument is not that i can read Warren's mind. My point is that every single one of her conversions came at a moment that was advantageous to her career. Such as leaving the republican party when she moved from a state that almost exclusively had republican senators to one that almost exclusively had Democratic ones, at a time when a democratic president went from looking like a fluke to a long term prospect.

Was this the one conversion that was sincere? Don't know and don't care, because it wasn't my point.

Sure, maybe it’s dumb and pedantic, but I thought it was important to point out that other folks in the Democratic Party have spoken to the Federalist Society. The way you phrased that made it seem like that was something unusual. I’m not saying it’s a good thing, it’s just how poo poo has been.

Cool?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DesMoines Register Public Statement.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...rns/4637168002/

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i am 100% certain the poll was very bad for pete buttigieg

the campaigns generally get to see the polls the day before they go out, so the pete campaign was probably throwing a shitfit

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

i am 100% certain the poll was very bad for pete buttigieg

the campaigns generally get to see the polls the day before they go out, so the pete campaign was probably throwing a shitfit

We do know he hates poles

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
https://twitter.com/PollsterPatrick/status/1223791720002965507?s=19

https://twitter.com/PollsterPatrick/status/1223792207800520705?s=19

Armack fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 2, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Can I cut and paste the full statement here? If i Cite it? Or is that :filez: ??

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

im betting the Pete folks threatened a lawsuit

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Here: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...rns/4637168002/

"Published 8:01 p.m. CT Feb. 1, 2020 | Updated 8:10 p.m. CT Feb. 1, 2020"

Des Moines Register posted:

Des Moines Register, partners cancel release of Iowa Poll over respondent concerns

The Des Moines Register, CNN and Selzer & Co. have made the decision to not release the final installment of the CNN/Des Moines Register/Mediacom poll as planned this evening.

Nothing is more important to the Register and its polling partners than the integrity of the Iowa Poll. Today, a respondent raised an issue with the way the survey was administered, which could have compromised the results of the poll. It appears a candidate’s name was omitted in at least one interview in which the respondent was asked to name their preferred candidate.

While this appears to be isolated to one surveyor, we cannot confirm that with certainty. Therefore, the partners made the difficult decision to not to move forward with releasing the Iowa Poll.

The Register has published the Iowa Poll for 76 years, and it is considered the gold standard in political polling. Selzer & Co., which conducts the poll, is recognized for its excellence in polling. It is imperative whenever an Iowa Poll is released that there is confidence that the data accurately reflects Iowans’ opinions.

— Carol Hunter"

TLDR: We are not releasing the poll because a single "surveyor" complained.

Edit: Added date and time. Removed quotation marks at the end.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 2, 2020

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
This is complete bullshit and I hope someone from DMR or one of the campaigns that got an advance copy just leaks the drat thing.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1223797238440263682

lmao

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Hahah of course it was Pete.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

generic one posted:

Sure, maybe it’s dumb and pedantic, but I thought it was important to point out that other folks in the Democratic Party have spoken to the Federalist Society. The way you phrased that made it seem like that was something unusual. I’m not saying it’s a good thing, it’s just how poo poo has been.

Cool?
Name a non-Warren candidate for the Democratic Primary of 2020 that spoke to the Federalist Society.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If they hadn't waited until 3 seconds before they were scheduled to release the numbers, nobody would be insisting the Truth Is Out There. I mean, if their stated reasons were valid they would have known this long ago no just learned of it moments before air.

Unless we are to believe that an intrepid respondent just wouldn't leave it alone, finally getting to the top brass at the last second to let them know that Pete been done dirty. For their singular questioning.

Vox Nihili posted:

im betting the Pete folks threatened a lawsuit

Nobody can possibly cowardly enough to avoid the dumbest, most baseless lawsuit this side of one of Donny's lawyers.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Importantly: The decision to not post the poll was posted 10 minutes after the poll was to be released. I'd imagine that must have been a last minute decision.

It is not a technical mishap.

Question: Is it possible someone high up pulled the plug at the last minute?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gyges posted:

If they hadn't waited until 3 seconds before they were scheduled to release the numbers, nobody would be insisting the Truth Is Out There. I mean, if their stated reasons were valid they would have known this long ago no just learned of it moments before air.

Unless we are to believe that an intrepid respondent just wouldn't leave it alone, finally getting to the top brass at the last second to let them know that Pete been done dirty. For their singular questioning.

Nobody can possibly cowardly enough to avoid the dumbest, most baseless lawsuit this side of one of Donny's lawyers.

well i think if they just saw the results and thought it was junk, they would have done it earlier in the day (they've been sitting on these results for a few days) rather than the last minute at considerable expense to cnn/dmr.

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1223797519349624834

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

this is CNN we're talking about

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
It obviously took so long because the non-bernie campaigns spent the day fighting back and forth over who was going to take the blame for killing it. It would've been Klob but Pete was foolish and inexperienced enough to get into stapler range.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Importantly: The decision to not post the poll was posted 10 minutes after the poll was to be released. I'd imagine that must have been a last minute decision.

It is not a technical mishap.

Question: Is it possible someone high up pulled the plug at the last minute?

It's possible the sun will rise tomorrow

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

From Patrick Murray at Monmouth:

https://twitter.com/PollsterPatrick/status/1223791180376346625

Holy mackerel! This is weird. And I say this from experience. I was in our field house on last night of our Iowa. Happened to be standing behind one interviewer who did not read all the names on screen. By time I got to the control room, the supervisor already flagged that interviewer and pulled her off for retraining. It was the beginning of the shift, so we only had to delete that one interview. But we’ve also had data come back at the end of the night where we can see unusual trends in a particular interviewer. There is plenty of opportunity to replace those interviews if that is the problem. If it is a programming issue that should have been picked up fairly quickly. As I said, it is weird to bag an entire poll rather than just extend field for a day.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

It’s getting real hard to not become conspiracy minded in this campaign.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wait so it’s possible they were showing n-1 candidates to everyone, with the -1 chosen at random? That’s a decent reason to pull the poll if true.

“If true” is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence, of course.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ARACHTION posted:

It’s getting real hard to not become conspiracy minded in this campaign.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you

Yudo
May 15, 2003

well i think if they just saw the results and thought it was junk, they would have done it earlier in the day (they've been sitting on these results for a few days) rather than the last minute at considerable expense to cnn/dmr.

A dab of random error is not enough to pull a poll. Anyways, they could have easily dropped all the cases collected by this person.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

But if the omissions were entirely random and stayed that way across all of the interviewer's surveys then that doesn't systematically bias the poll at all! :wtc:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/ZachandMattShow/status/1223797947818745856

yangmentum is being suppressed by the media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yeah, they would have known about any issues with some dumbass who refused to wear their glasses days ago. Waiting until the last second is what makes these excuses total bullshit.

Unless, once again, some Pete guy kept demanding to speak to a manager for a few days straight. Which, sure, I can see a Pete fan possessing big Speak To Your Manager energy. Just that there's no way his desperate plea for justice was only finally heard just as they were passing Anderson Cooper the envelope.