Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

How are u?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

BrainDance posted:

you guys ever just say gently caress it and go to the wayback machine and start going back to your mid/late 90s pokemon sites? I wish I was 12 again.

You can find some of the very earliest posts I made on the Internet here, it's up to you to figure out who exactly I am
https://web.archive.org/web/20001206110900/http://www.pewtercity.com/tpcpc/index.html

a 2001 spam popup about being the nth visitor and winning a prize opened upon entering the link

Archive.org does a really good job of preserving the essence of old websites

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GotLag posted:

Global Orwellian AI Police State is 100% what we're going to get

jokes on them turns out AIs are like "lol gently caress that" and do the equivalent of smoking computer weed all day

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:wtf:. Why is the WHO worried about economics.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51338899

quote:

The US and Australia said they would deny entry to all foreign visitors who had recently been in China, where the virus first emerged in December.

Earlier, countries including Russia, Japan, Pakistan and Italy announced similar travel restrictions.

But global health officials have advised against such measures.

"Travel restrictions can cause more harm than good by hindering info-sharing, medical supply chains and harming economies," the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

The WHO recommends introducing screening at official border crossings. It has warned that closing borders could accelerate the spread of the virus, with travellers entering countries unofficially.

Do they think they are setting up absolute quarantines? Even so, they will let critical people and items in. The internet exists. Cargo ships are going to be exempted as the voyage takes too long and the crew don't have to come ashore. Governments charter flights all the time. People that try to break quarantines are assholes official crossings or not. Has WHO gone full retard? Although not too surprised given they have acknowledged TCM and not put it next to Voodoo. Lets wait till everyone self quarantines for a month, lets see what that does to the economy. CDC guidance is 100% focused on the health implications.

quote:

China has criticised the wave of travel restrictions, accusing foreign governments of ignoring official advice.

"Just as the WHO recommended against travel restrictions, the US rushed in the opposite direction," foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said. "[It is] certainly not a gesture of goodwill."
:qq:

Explosive Tampons posted:

a 2001 spam popup about being the nth visitor and winning a prize opened upon entering the link

It's sort of impressive, little details like that really helps show living history.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Lol, imagine being in your eighties in the quarantine zone, running out of food, and then having a drone shout at you because you dared venture out in search of sustenance without a worthless paper mask on.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

jokes on them turns out AIs are like "lol gently caress that" and do the equivalent of smoking computer weed all day
posting from 2047 and that's just what we call bitcoin

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Explosive Tampons posted:

drat what did you win?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
As New Virus Spread, China’s Old Habits Delayed Fight

quote:

WUHAN, China — A mysterious illness had stricken seven patients at a hospital, and a doctor tried to warn his medical school classmates. “Quarantined in the emergency department,” the doctor, Li Wenliang, wrote in an online chat group on Dec. 30, referring to patients.

“So frightening,” one recipient replied, before asking about the epidemic that began in China in 2002 and ultimately killed nearly 800 people. “Is SARS coming again?”

In the middle of the night, officials from the health authority in the central city of Wuhan summoned Dr. Li, demanding to know why he had shared the information. Three days later, the police compelled him to sign a statement that his warning constituted “illegal behavior.”

It goes on from there, but not for me.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

BrainDance posted:

you guys ever just say gently caress it and go to the wayback machine and start going back to your mid/late 90s pokemon sites? I wish I was 12 again.

You can find some of the very earliest posts I made on the Internet here, it's up to you to figure out who exactly I am
https://web.archive.org/web/20001206110900/http://www.pewtercity.com/tpcpc/index.html
Hypnospace Outlaw is basically a web simulation of that period, pokemon knockoff sites included. It's very good, and goon made.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/844590/Hypnospace_Outlaw/
These drones can't fully replace the Chengguan until they are programmed to beat up homeless people and shakedown street vendors for bribes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

These drones can't fully replace the Chengguan until they are programmed to beat up homeless people/children and shakedown street vendors for bribes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

It's like D&D made flesh.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1223791513152389120

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I don't see a problem here. We can always eat the rats from the basement and the bats from my attic. I'll even toast a piss drink to that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like this little gem:

quote:

Crowds of people crushed the airport and train stations to get out before the deadline fell on the morning of Jan. 23. Hospitals were packed with people desperate to know if they, too, were infected.

How not to quarantine.txt

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Thats communism!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
"These are unusual times." yeah i didnt need a drone to tell me that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

WarpedNaba posted:

It's like D&D made flesh.

Drones as Beholders works for me but I'm afraid to ask about the rest

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Do not give this dickhead airtime (the artist, not supreme leader Xi)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
what do you think they'd give you for that, 20 years in a gulag or kill you?

E; is the "artist" some dipshit? i have no idea

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why no ears?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
He has ears

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 2, 2020

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hakimashou posted:

what do you think they'd give you for that, 20 years in a gulag or kill you?

E; is the "artist" some dipshit? i have no idea

he's a turd that covers melbourne's walls with lovely memes for instagram and wastes space that real street artists could use

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lilbeefer posted:

Do not give this dickhead airtime (the artist, not supreme leader Xi)

Why?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Caesar Saladin posted:

wastes space that real street artists could use

:crossarms:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
how can you know if someone is a "real street artist" or not? is there a certificate program or something you have to go through? is it a union thing where you have to apprentice first? does the dude who tags overpasses with "booger2030" count as a real street artist?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

how can you know if someone is a "real street artist" or not? is there a certificate program or something you have to go through? is it a union thing where you have to apprentice first? does the dude who tags overpasses with "booger2030" count as a real street artist?

I live in a city with a lot of beautiful creative mural artists who decorate the city very well with large street paintings and scenes and letterings, its not that complicated of a concept and your response makes you look like a nerdo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is the artist a dick to the community or do you just not like his works?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

I live in a city with a lot of beautiful creative mural artists who decorate the city very well with large street paintings and scenes and letterings, its not that complicated of a concept and your response makes you look like a nerdo.

I mean it kinda is complicated.

Is he painting over other people’s poo poo?

Is he a huge dick?

You said he paints memes for Instagram but??

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

lushsux is an alt-right dickhead that is unwittingly hired by trendy homeowners and businesses to stencil memes on prime street art real estate. gently caress him and his forgettable unimaginative bullshit.

\/\/\/\/ exactly. Utter destruction of space, is all he does.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't care about his personality, he's painting meme garbage on walls that could be actually nice murals. He paints donald trump memes on Melbourne walls and posts them on instagram for americans. He sucks.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

BECAUSE LUSHSUX

edit: he was probably paid to throw this up by some morone who didnt want the ears obstructing his weird solar powered security light thing

It doesnt actually matter because it is a funny meme and the business owner gets huge kudos for being urban

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 2, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lilbeefer posted:

lushsux is an alt-right dickhead

see, this is an actual good reason to dislike someone

Lemon
May 22, 2003

if he isn't respected by the local street-art community, what's stopping them from just painting over his poo poo? I get not liking him, but I don't understand how he is stealing real estate.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Lemon posted:

if he isn't respected by the local street-art community, what's stopping them from just painting over his poo poo? I get not liking him, but I don't understand how he is stealing real estate.

Because we live in a hell world where poo poo murals are protected if they have been purchased on the open market or some poo poo

Lemon
May 22, 2003

lilbeefer posted:

Because we live in a hell world where poo poo murals are protected if they have been purchased on the open market or some poo poo

Ok that makes more sense. Well, it doesn't, but I now understand what you meant by him taking up space.

the idea of protecting street art was always strange to me, it's supposed to be transient. anyway, getting a bit off topic

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
What did lushsux do to anger so many goons?

*Edit nevermind, thanks cs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

China gets serious about stopping the Wuhan Flu.

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1223171530927951872