Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr Christmas posted:

The best fake ending is Kid Icarus: Uprising, because it seems like the actual ending to a kind of short launch title where the replay value comes from scouring for unlockables and random drops and upping the difficulty.

But nope! The real main bad tears down the credits. You’re only 2/5 of the way through.

And then, a few levels later, it starts to get really crazy.

KIU came out like a year after the 3ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr Christmas posted:

But nope! The real main bad tears down the credits. You’re only 2/5 of the way through.

:stare:
Suppose I should get around to playing this.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

The best fake ending is Kid Icarus: Uprising, because it seems like the actual ending to a kind of short launch title where the replay value comes from scouring for unlockables and random drops and upping the difficulty.

I wish this happened with The Minish Cap, because that game ended and I was like "uh, what? I just started this"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I wouldn't really call branching story paths the same thing as joke endings. Also he invites you to go help him deliver wanzers (mechs) to some place, not the mall.

A joke ending I remember is one of the early Tales games gives you one if you beat an early "unwinnable" boss-fight.

e: basically IIRC losing the fight is what starts you off on the events that get you some magical artifacts and if you never got captured you'd never have gotten involved in all that so game's over

What about branching story paths that pretend to be joke endings?

Because Wario Land II famously has an entire alternate story path you can go on if you have Wario sleep through the pirate raid that starts the game.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I wouldn't really call branching story paths the same thing as joke endings. Also he invites you to go help him deliver wanzers (mechs) to some place, not the mall.

A joke ending I remember is one of the early Tales games gives you one if you beat an early "unwinnable" boss-fight.

e: basically IIRC losing the fight is what starts you off on the events that get you some magical artifacts and if you never got captured you'd never have gotten involved in all that so game's over

That would be "Tales of Destiny" for PS1. You are supposed to lose the fight against Leon.

If you win (which I found out the time I used a GameShark XP code early on), the game ends saying you became an adventuring Treasure Hunter. Your two companions at the time were "Treasure Hunters".
It was...difficult to lose that fight. Think I had to strip everyone naked, set them to as passive as possible, and even then, they'd sometimes randomly counter attack and kill him.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's still subtle enough that I didn't even realize there were two story branches until more than a decade later. I figured it was another "but thou must" situation (and of course I'd have helped my bro out anyway), but turns out it's a whole different plot! With arguably a better ending!

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Because Wario Land II famously has an entire alternate story path you can go on if you have Wario sleep through the pirate raid that starts the game.

I had that game. I cleared all the other branches and parts of the story but could not figure out how to get that little 5 stage branch off of level 1. I scoured the first level so hard. One day i let a friend play and he picked that level and sat there not touching everything, triggering that path for me because he didnt know how to play.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

It's still subtle enough that I didn't even realize there were two story branches until more than a decade later. I figured it was another "but thou must" situation (and of course I'd have helped my bro out anyway), but turns out it's a whole different plot! With arguably a better ending!

I realized there's a branching path, but it took me too much time to realize what causes it because 'help my bro Ryogo with work? YES/NO' just doesn't register as plot-important at all. At least it's much better than what a couple games do where 'oh, answered a meaningless-looking YES/NO thing the wrong way 5 minutes into the game? say goodbye to the best ending!'

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Radiata Stories was good about that, there’s a day night cycle that’s kinda time limiting you but you get told explicitly at the huge story choice about 2/3 through that this is huge and will drastically change poo poo

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Just started playing Dragons Dogma on Switch and the very first thing I did was accidentally huck an NPC over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Every game should have this button.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

small ghost posted:

Just started playing Dragons Dogma on Switch and the very first thing I did was accidentally huck an NPC over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Every game should have this button.

Because the devs didn't want to bother with swimming (because no one likes swimming) every body of water deeper than your waist is full of horrible microscopic creatures that feast on your flesh and blood - I think they're just called "The Brine" or something like that. You can grab an NPC and just throw them in the ocean and watch them dissolve into a red pool of mist, if you can lure an enemy - even the biggest and strongest things - into the water, they'll be devoured as well.

Also fall damage is a thing. Grabbing dudes and throwing them off ledges is legit.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I accidentally fed myself to The Brine a little bit already but that's awesome, gonna go chum some goblins.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The fact that the Brine never trigger a Game Over for the player always made me feel they were actually carrying/teleporting the Arisen to shore instead of outright eating them.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

why do they allow people to go near the water at all if it will loving eat you, why is the water not fenced off or something

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

why do they allow people to go near the water at all if it will loving eat you, why is the water not fenced off or something

Probably because walking out to get your mail in that world has a 60% chance of getting you murdered by a harpy or some poo poo, so nobody gives a drat.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

In fairness you start off in a fishing village so losing the occasional unwary villager is probably worth it in order to maintain the town's economy.

Also yes the whole world is full of horrible monsters everyone's probably just too jaded at this point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nuebot posted:

every body of water deeper than your waist is full of horrible microscopic creatures that feast on your flesh and blood

Which goon designed this

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

small ghost posted:

It's pretty great.

One of the handful of games i've ever platinumed too.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I just started Dragon's dogma again, it really is a great game but night time is too loving dark.

One move I like is springboard or Blade catapult - depending on if you have a shield or 2h sword you can use it as a platform to launch a companion to grab onto larger enemies that require climbing.

Sometimes the wrong companion will take the leap, and you accidentally throw your healer into a cyclops, who grabs them and eats them. It's enjoyable enough to be funny most of the time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That oil refinery level in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The game gives you a machine gun, shoves you into an area filled with red barrels and tells you to go forth and :byodood:gently caress poo poo up:byodood:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If one of your pawns hasn’t been horribly killed directly because of your actions then you haven’t really played Dragon’s Dogma.

I think it might be time for that annual replay.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bussamove posted:

If one of your pawns hasn’t been horribly killed directly because of your actions then you haven’t really played Dragon’s Dogma.

I think it might be time for that annual replay.

Dr. Phil is going to the eels, Panpan!

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I'm kicking myself now for passing this game over so many times in the past tbh, it's a lot of fun.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
WOLVES, ARISEN! :byodood:

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Cleretic posted:

Vanguard Bandits did this. I think you had to get the main character to level 8 before the end of the third mission, which is tough but doable if that’s that you try to do, and you get the option to go down a totally different storyline. It’s even different in tone, going so far as to swap the opening video of the game itself with a blooper version with joke lyrics. But despite the jokes it’s just as long as the regular campaign and you still beat the big bad all the same.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dragon's Dogma is/was my Monster Hunter.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I do NOT have the time to play DD again but I really want to. After a bit I leaned too hard on Magic Archer and nothing was very challenging.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There was some quest in Dragon's Dogma i was having a little trouble figuring out where to go exactly, the next time i logged in my pawn had apparently been out learning exactly how to do that very same quest since she exclaimed "follow me, master!" and took off running, leading me right through the ruins and up to the weird little spot the objective was hidden. God drat it owned so much.

It also has some of the most satisfying magic spells in any game i've played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kouyGeuN090

Here's a little pro-tip too: you'll eventually get placeable teleport points to help you get around the world. One of the ways out of the Witchwood comes out on a little ledge with a drop-down nearby the starting village. That little ledge is a prime spot to drop the teleport stone because it gets you back into the Wood easily and back to that village.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

a kitten posted:

Here's a little pro-tip too: you'll eventually get placeable teleport points to help you get around the world. One of the ways out of the Witchwood comes out on a little ledge with a drop-down nearby the starting village. That little ledge is a prime spot to drop the teleport stone because it gets you back into the Wood easily and back to that village.

I love placeable fast travel points in games. In Breath of the Wild, you get one from the DLC, and I put mine in a hidden room in the Yiga clan hideout that has like 30 bananas in it. If you cook 3+bananas, you'll get the lvl 3 ATK buff, something I consistently had in any important fights from then on out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

I love placeable fast travel points in games. In Breath of the Wild, you get one from the DLC

That was the best, I was constantly using it for when I found stuff worth investigating while I was busy doing something else, as a little reminder and easy way to get back. Or as a central point while hunting down a confusing shrine. Such a great QoL upgrade, I'm just sad it took until my third playthrough before I liked the game enough to get the DLC.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

DD's pawn system was actually pretty great.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

DD's pawn system was actually pretty great.

:hai:

I keep getting teased for a Dragma 2 that capcom says they're strongly thinking about and all I want is to be told some more that wolves hunt in packs.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leal posted:

:hai:

I keep getting teased for a Dragma 2 that capcom says they're strongly thinking about and all I want is to be told some more that wolves hunt in packs.

If DD2 gets announced, the teaser should just be a slow zoom-out on a fancy sword and someone screaming "IT ILL LIKES FIRE!"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Crowetron posted:

If DD2 gets announced, the teaser should just be a slow zoom-out on a fancy sword and someone screaming "IT ILL LIKES FIRE!"

Just footage of a large tree.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Polaron posted:

Just footage of a large tree.

Faintly, at the very end, as if from a great distance: Flying Into Free

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Enjoying my time replaying Rise of the Tomb Raider...it (mostly) does well at one of the most important things of all, giving you cool outfits and then making sure you're still wearing them in the interstitials and Big Serious Cutscenes.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Feb 2, 2020

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Crowetron posted:

If DD2 gets announced, the teaser should just be a slow zoom-out on a fancy sword and someone screaming "They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong."

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Did any of y'all ever play Dragon's Dogma Online?

Also, wasn't Deep Down supposed to be Dragon's Dogma 2? That game hasn't been talked about in 5+ years, so...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Another fun detail about Dragon's Dogma is that once you figured out how the pawn AI worked, you could do some really weird stuff with them. Like, you think "Oh, if I give my pawn buff spells they'll put the buffs on me" is a good idea, but it's not. Because then they'll buff your weapon, then re-buff it, and re-buff it again. And god help you if you're fighting an enemy weak to water and lightning, because then you'll get fire, then lightning, then fire again, repeated forever. You get similar problems with healing, the arisen trips over a rock and all of your pawns stumble over one another to heal you, and if there's combat they'll drop everything to heal every scratch, even as a goblin punches them in the jaw and makes them repeat the cast.

But pawns are really, really, good at simple tasks. You tell a pawn to grab a man, and boy howdy that pawn will make grabbing every goblin its life goal, they will tackle wolves off cliffs and go down to their briny death with the foe, or jump like star athletes just to drag harpies screeching into melee range for you. They also learn elemental weaknesses very well, and frankly I can not be assed to ever remember what's weak to what. So I always make my pawns wizards and sorcerers, that way the instant we fight something weak to ice, a second or two later ice explodes and it dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
As I recall, it was always better for a mage pawn to have Anodyne than High Anodyne, since the longer charge just means they get interrupted more.