Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Reliable source located:

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1223804822891032576

edit: well, that was a nice page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bushido Brown posted:

Good thing that's not what I am doing, then. Look at their post history. There's a fair amount of cryptic description that went on, and this is the third or fourth time I've asked the same question. The repeated silence in response has been deafening.

ETA: Directly, given this is the nth time I've directly asked this (and given the first time I asked wasn't tied to anything pro-Pete related, the question wasn't raised purely as "wow you're a shill" in response to a take I disagree with.

There's lots of things that are up for debate in Debate & Discussion, but this isn't one of them. Stop trying to insinuate that other posters are paid shills, period. You aren't going to get anywhere trying to negotiate that with me.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ok, so a Pete staffer says that literally anyone has complained. In fact, it is possible that a Pete staffer had actually made the complaint, but since he owns a house in Iowa or w/e the requirements for "surveyor" are, he could have made that complaint and simply omitted that information from the report.

Something like: "Here we found that complainer. He is my friend Bob."

And Bob could be all like: "Yeah I made the complaint. Claiming otherwise would be slander if you put it in print (or the other one. The one where you can't officially print it)."

Again, did a big Pete donor have early access to the information?

Apparently, AT&T has donated $85,533 to Pete's campaign.

And

AT&T owns CNN which is producing a broadcast of this poll. Turner, the previous owners of were bought by AT&T in June 2018, and there was a major shift of executives less than a year later, March 2019.

I'm probably the last person who put this together, but there.

Again, the "surveyor" they're talking about is an employee of the polling company and is called that because they are one of many people conducting surveys. The DMR or the polling company or whoever is saying there was a consistent error in surveys that were conducted by one particular employee.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Bushido Brown posted:

Good thing that's not what I am doing, then. Look at their post history. There's a fair amount of cryptic description that went on, and this is the third or fourth time I've asked the same question. The repeated silence in response has been deafening.

ETA: Directly, given this is the nth time I've directly asked this (and given the first time I asked wasn't tied to anything pro-Pete related, the question wasn't raised purely as "wow you're a shill" in response to a take I disagree with.

i mean, who cares? maybe they're a buttigieg organizer in iowa, so what? as long as they're not being paid to post on this forum (which would be very different from any organizer job i know of, i don't think anyone is paid to post on this dumb forum) then they're just some buttigieg supporter who managed to swing a paid position with the campaign. i posted the bernie application months ago and a number of people said they applied - if any of them got hired, are they not allowed to post on the forum anymore?

if they ARE a paid buttigieg organizer, there's few enough of them that i wouldn't expect them to risk getting doxed by revealing their employer.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Main Paineframe posted:

There's lots of things that are up for debate in Debate & Discussion, but this isn't one of them. Stop trying to insinuate that other posters are paid shills, period. You aren't going to get anywhere trying to negotiate that with me.
Super fair, but what if a bigot is giving cover to other bigots by observing bigotry was previously common?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Reliable source located:

We do live in the type of era where Cernovich could have an inside source at CNN/an Iowa Newspaper.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tom Watson really loving hates Bernie by looking at his feed.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Tom Watson really loving hates Bernie by looking at his feed.

tom watson is a khiver

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Not what I'm doing, so it shouldn't be an issue, but, by all means, flex away.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Concerned Citizen posted:

i mean, who cares? maybe they're a buttigieg organizer in iowa, so what? as long as they're not being paid to post on this forum (which would be very different from any organizer job i know of, i don't think anyone is paid to post on this dumb forum) then they're just some buttigieg supporter who managed to swing a paid position with the campaign. i posted the bernie application months ago and a number of people said they applied - if any of them got hired, are they not allowed to post on the forum anymore?

if they ARE a paid buttigieg organizer, there's few enough of them that i wouldn't expect them to risk getting doxed by revealing their employer.

I do think people should be up front about who they're supporting. For example knowing that someone supports Pete gives me a clear indicator of just how huge a racist they probably are and that seems like useful info to have in a discussion.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Screw I did it myself:

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene

Bushido Brown posted:

Again, do you work/volunteer for the Buttigieg campaign? Serious question.

Why would you assume im somehow a paid worker or volunteer for a campaign? Just because i dont believe EVERYTHING is a conspiracy against Bernie. Especially something as relatively innocuous as this.

It is weird that they just now found out about it. I agree. But i dont think its because any one particular candidate has inordinate power over multimillion dollar corportions and what they do with the data.

The easier and less complex answer is that they are just having a CYOA moment at a time when the legitimacy of not only the caucus-in-iowa is in question but the entire democratic system.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Wait so is the poll just straight up deleted or delayed until later tomorrow?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Reliable source located:

Somebody probably should point out for people who aren't super online that Mike Cernovich is basically the farthest thing in this world from a reliable source. Sorry if I explained the joke.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Eminai posted:

Again, the "surveyor" they're talking about is an employee of the polling company and is called that because they are one of many people conducting surveys. The DMR or the polling company or whoever is saying there was a consistent error in surveys that were conducted by one particular employee.

So an employee of the polling company told the Pete campaign staffer that there may be an error with the poll. Why didn't the polling company employee tell CNN? Or the Des Moines Register? Why would they go and tell a Pete campaign staff and not a news outlet? The NYT? Wall Street Journal? gently caress, Buzzfeed?

Edit: Why tell Pete?

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

PepsiOverCoke posted:

Why would you assume im somehow a paid worker or volunteer for a campaign? Just because i dont believe EVERYTHING is a conspiracy against Bernie. Especially something as relatively innocuous as this.

It is weird that they just now found out about it. I agree. But i dont think its because any one particular candidate has inordinate power over multimillion dollar corportions and what they do with the data.

The easier and less complex answer is that they are just having a CYOA moment at a time when the legitimacy of not only the caucus-in-iowa is in question but the entire democratic system.

You could have responded to this the first time I asked, which was when you posted something about Biden.

Contrary to decorum-mod assertions, it wasn't a "how the gently caress could you believe this, you must be a shill."

It definitely is a "hm, between the way you talk about Biden, talk about your role as a caucus chair, Just Ask Questions about the NYT piece and repeatedly preface opinions with something tantamount to 'contrary to what the Bernie echo chamber thinks', you seem like you have a vested interest you're not sharing!"

In terms of a substantive response, I think Vox Nihili nailed it and Buttigieg's lawyers probably sent a strongly worded letter. I suppose that is a form of CYOA, just not one that is self-initiated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So an employee of the polling company told the Pete campaign staffer that there may be an error with the poll. Why didn't the polling company employee tell CNN? Or the Des Moines Register? Why would they go and tell a Pete campaign staff and not a news outlet? The NYT? Wall Street Journal? gently caress, Buzzfeed?

Pete knows people.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Eminai posted:

Somebody probably should point out for people who aren't super online that Mike Cernovich is basically the farthest thing in this world from a reliable source. Sorry if I explained the joke.

He at least chose more realistic results than Tom Watson went with.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Grouchio posted:

Screw I did it myself:

At least Pete's team is smart enough not to book the gym they aren't going to fill and stuck with a ballroom instead. Way better job of making your crowd look bigger than artfully positioning and blocking an, at best, half full gym.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cpt_Obvious posted:

no.

polling companies contract out to call centers to make the actual survey calls. one person was called by the call center. they were asked who they support. the person did not list buttigieg. they said their computer was glitching and his name didn't show up.

that person, who was a buttigieg supporter, called the buttigieg campaign and told them what happened. that is all 100% what we know based on what dmr has said. the speculation is then that the buttigieg campaign, knowing the poll is not good for them, proceeded to throw a shitfit at dmr until the poll was pulled.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There was shouting and shrieking from the poll's jail cell, a source familiar with the situation told the DMR.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Correcting for a single mistake or a single bad interviewer is simple, trivial, and there's even set standards on how to do it.

For them to spike a poll like this, in a way that will draw more attention than anything else, there's two possibilities here:

1- the error was much larger than a single interviewer or survey.

2- the results were outliers in such a way that they were concerned about their credibility if they were wrong. Given that it was a campaign complaining, it likely was a case where the results for that campaign were much worse than expected and so they were afraid that if they got it massively wrong, they'd get called out pretty openly. Like, they wouldn't be spiking it if it showed Buttigied way ahead of other polls, because they wouldn't be called out by the Buttigieg campaign after the fact if they got it wrong. But in the other direction...

I'd guess it's a mix of the two: that they couldn't know the true extent of the problem but since it was bad for Buttigieg in a way that was different from other polls they'd be staking their reputation on it knowing they would get called out if wrong.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Office Pig posted:

Pete knows people.

AT&T, which owns CNN, paid Pete over 80k. They are giving him monetary support, could they also offer "Broadcasting Support"? Is that illegal to alter or withhold the polls?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1223813551778865152

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

no.

polling companies contract out to call centers to make the actual survey calls. one person was called by the call center. they were asked who they support. the person did not list buttigieg. they said their computer was glitching and his name didn't show up.

that person, who was a buttigieg supporter, called the buttigieg campaign and told them what happened. that is all 100% what we know based on what dmr has said. the speculation is then that the buttigieg campaign, knowing the poll is not good for them, proceeded to throw a shitfit at dmr until the poll was pulled.

OK. Again. A staffer at a call center reported to Pete's campaign about a technical glitch. Why?

Does the Pete campaign have any proof of this claim? An email they could censor?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cpt_Obvious posted:

OK. Again. A staffer at a call center reported to Pete's campaign about a technical glitch. Why?

Does the Pete campaign have any proof of this claim? An email they could censor?

no. the RESPONDENT, i.e. the PERSON WHO WAS CALLED, reported it. not the staffer.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
holy poo poo, who cares

even for the terminally online this is dumb

they vote in 2 days ffs

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No, a person who answer the phone for a strange number complained to Pete that the surveyor didn't offer Pete as a choice in the poll. The investigation into the allegation appears to have uncovered that a person who was conducting the surveys is a big, dumb idiot.

I mean, charitably, the person probably complained to both Pete and the supervisor of the dummy who was enlarging their screen to the point where it was cutting off text. If you believe this excuse that would have resulted in a decision to 86 the poll days ago instead of just before the climax of an hour long CNN live exclusive scoop special.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

Ok so you are openly acknowledging your post was totally irrelevant to the 2020 Democratic Primary, the subject of this thread?

Historical context is relevant. Biden was against marriage equality before he was for it. Would you just recognize his current stance, and say Joe’s good on that stuff, or would you want to take a look at his previous record? And, given that the vast majority of Dems were just as lovely on LGBTQ rights back in the 90s, wouldn’t that also be relevant?

Maybe it’s just me that’d be interested in that sort of context. I’m not saying their behavior was good, nor am I stanning for Warren. I just gave a hundred bucks to Sanders. Feel free to match me if you agree we need some change to our two party system.

joepinetree posted:

You realize that the argument is pretty simple, right? It' not just that Warren did things, but that she did them or stopped doing them the moment it was the most convenient for her career. You can be dumb and nitpick any of these several examples, but the point is the pattern, not the isolated event.

Plenty of democrats voted for Trump's military budgets. Plenty of democrats supported Israel and the 2016 AIPAC letter. Plenty of democrats supported charter schools. Plenty of democrats have demonized activists (though the Native American thing is uniquely Warren). Plenty of democrats have fundraised with billionaires. The point is that Warren stopped doing those things the moment it fit her career goals.

I’m not really sure how much energy I have left to go back and forth with you on this, honestly. So, let me try and summarize. You argued that post-Federalist Society speech, she moved to MA, a largely blue state, and changed her political affiliation because she wanted to go all in on getting some of that sweet, sweet Democratic Party recognition, in the hope that everyone would just forget about her being a Republican.

I think I have that right. Please correct me, if I don’t.

I suggested there was a simpler explanation: It wasn’t any sort of precognition or strategy, because the Democratic Party wouldn’t have given a poo poo about her speaking to the Federalist Society in the context of it being the 90s. It’s literally that simple. Occam’s razor.

There are plenty of factual reasons to be against Warren. I don’t think we need to make loose interpretations of events and list those as negatives in order to make an argument against her candidacy.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sounds like a pete supported got polled and claims that they left pete off one question and mispronounced his name on others. From what's going on it seems like they went to the Buttchug campaign to "warn" them and the campaign is perhaps using this to scuttled a poll that would hurt Pete.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gyges posted:

No, a person who answer the phone for a strange number complained to Pete that the surveyor didn't offer Pete as a choice in the poll. The investigation into the allegation appears to have uncovered that a person who was conducting the surveys is a big, dumb idiot.

I mean, charitably, the person probably complained to both Pete and the supervisor of the dummy who was enlarging their screen to the point where it was cutting off text. If you believe this excuse that would have resulted in a decision to 86 the poll days ago instead of just before the climax of an hour long CNN live exclusive scoop special.

Ok, but Pete's campaign is the only primary source we have, right? They have not produced a complaint in any form? There are no censored emails or recorded phone calls. Therefore, our primary source is Pete.

And Pete's campaign was paid over 80K by CNN's parent company.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Correcting for a single mistake or a single bad interviewer is simple, trivial, and there's even set standards on how to do it.

For them to spike a poll like this, in a way that will draw more attention than anything else, there's two possibilities here:

1- the error was much larger than a single interviewer or survey.

2- the results were outliers in such a way that they were concerned about their credibility if they were wrong. Given that it was a campaign complaining, it likely was a case where the results for that campaign were much worse than expected and so they were afraid that if they got it massively wrong, they'd get called out pretty openly. Like, they wouldn't be spiking it if it showed Buttigied way ahead of other polls, because they wouldn't be called out by the Buttigieg campaign after the fact if they got it wrong. But in the other direction...

I'd guess it's a mix of the two: that they couldn't know the true extent of the problem but since it was bad for Buttigieg in a way that was different from other polls they'd be staking their reputation on it knowing they would get called out if wrong.

If the problem is what they are claiming it to be, the fix is trivial (as you said). If they wanted to put this to bed, they could have by admitting to some systematic problem. As it is, it just looks bizarre.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

my guess is it showed the winner was, us, the fans

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene

Bushido Brown posted:

You could have responded to this the first time I asked, which was when you posted something about Biden.

Contrary to decorum-mod assertions, it wasn't a "how the gently caress could you believe this, you must be a shill."

It definitely is a "hm, between the way you talk about Biden, talk about your role as a caucus chair, Just Ask Questions about the NYT piece and repeatedly preface opinions with something tantamount to 'contrary to what the Bernie echo chamber thinks', you seem like you have a vested interest you're not sharing!"

In terms of a substantive response, I think Vox Nihili nailed it and Buttigieg's lawyers probably sent a strongly worded letter. I suppose that is a form of CYOA, just not one that is self-initiated.

I have a vested interest in making sure the process goes well here and things are fair. I don't buy into all the hair pulling and hand wringing that go on in this thread.

I mean poo poo, as soon as the story came out people assumed it was some kind of CIA Op. That isn't normal, especially when all the citations are tweets.

Do we have any evidence that it went to campaigns first and THEN the DMR pulled it, or is it the DMR immediately went into damage control mode, maybe even over reacting, and pulled the poll?

It seems to be the latter more than the former from what we're seeing here.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Weird how Butt's campaign manager seems to be happy that the poll was axed

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Unoriginal Name posted:

holy poo poo, who cares

they vote in 2 days ffs

Okay but what are we supposed to talk about until then?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Sounds like a pete supported got polled and claims that they left pete off one question and mispronounced his name on others. From what's going on it seems like they went to the Buttchug campaign to "warn" them and the campaign is perhaps using this to scuttled a poll that would hurt Pete.

Right now, there is no supporter. They have supplied no proof. Why would CNN do anything that might merit "warning" Pete? They would not have rigged the polls against him, they have paid his campaign 80K.

If they are giving monetary support, are they legally allowed to withhold the polls? Has the impartiality of CNN broken through in a much bigger way than just the last debate questions?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CNN: Bernie Sanders campaign rally is only half the size of Biden's, Warren's, or Buttigieg's.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
https://twitter.com/2020Blurbs/status/1223812884339347463

PepsiOverCoke posted:

I have a vested interest in making sure the process goes well here and things are fair. I don't buy into all the hair pulling and hand wringing that go on in this thread.

I mean poo poo, as soon as the story came out people assumed it was some kind of CIA Op. That isn't normal, especially when all the citations are tweets.

Do we have any evidence that it went to campaigns first and THEN the DMR pulled it, or is it the DMR immediately went into damage control mode, maybe even over reacting, and pulled the poll?

It seems to be the latter more than the former from what we're seeing here.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was joking about it being the CIA.

The CIA would never break the law and operate within the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Unoriginal Name posted:

holy poo poo, who cares

they vote in 2 days ffs

People like to vote for winners so polls like this legitimately influence voting decisions. Especially for candidates with soft support that may not be viable. Nobody wants to show up and be the only person in their precinct in the Pete corner.