Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you want to gently caress the headlight?

Y: Buy it
N: Do not buy

"What's with the pogos on the front axle, you do stunts on that thing?"

"Yyyyeah... Stunts..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

talk me off the ledge here (or push me off it)

things I would ask about / care about :

is it running the rottweiler airbox? if yes, no deep water crossings for you. if no, then I would ask him to pull the tank for you and show you the airbox. a couple of sporadic 2017s have had airbox issues. 2018 and up are fine, but with that sticker I'm guessing he installed their intake

I see some suspicious wiring up near the handlebars and for the fog lights. is the handlebar wiring for the GPS I think I see or some janky heated grips? if it's for the GPS I'd likely rewire it. if it's for heated grips then I'd advise you (if you purchase it) to get rid of that set up and get the OEM ones since they don't require his lovely wiring. same for the fog lamps. I'm guessing he wired them to one of the ACC wires, but he definitely did the shittiest route possible

upper crashbars are worthless. i'd see if he has the OEM ones and if so, talk him into swapping them back and making him deal with selling the rumbux ones cause no one will buy those secondhand and you'll be hosed on shipping them anywhere

also I see a little rash on the HDB handguards. between that and the OEM crash bars being replaced, it makes me think he took a nap on the right side and possibly hosed up the crash bars since his handguard has that rash on it.

new MY 2018 SARs can be had for ~$13000 and up. KTM will do 0.99% financing often. MY 2017 - > 2018 had an airbox change as well as a new receiver for the keyless ignition. 2018 - > 2019 was just bold new graphics, so yeah, unless you're getting this bike for ~$10000 I would REALLY recommend against buying this guy's bike as the wiring situation is uhh not ideal and I'm suspicious of the new crashbars when they're more expensive than just buying an upper set that ties into the lower OEM ones. you can also have KTM throw luggage into your financing if you prefer it that way

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

things I would ask about / care about :

is it running the rottweiler airbox? if yes, no deep water crossings for you. if no, then I would ask him to pull the tank for you and show you the airbox. a couple of sporadic 2017s have had airbox issues. 2018 and up are fine, but with that sticker I'm guessing he installed their intake

I see some suspicious wiring up near the handlebars and for the fog lights. is the handlebar wiring for the GPS I think I see or some janky heated grips? if it's for the GPS I'd likely rewire it. if it's for heated grips then I'd advise you (if you purchase it) to get rid of that set up and get the OEM ones since they don't require his lovely wiring. same for the fog lamps. I'm guessing he wired them to one of the ACC wires, but he definitely did the shittiest route possible

upper crashbars are worthless. i'd see if he has the OEM ones and if so, talk him into swapping them back and making him deal with selling the rumbux ones cause no one will buy those secondhand and you'll be hosed on shipping them anywhere

also I see a little rash on the HDB handguards. between that and the OEM crash bars being replaced, it makes me think he took a nap on the right side and possibly hosed up the crash bars since his handguard has that rash on it.

new MY 2018 SARs can be had for ~$13000 and up. KTM will do 0.99% financing often. MY 2017 - > 2018 had an airbox change as well as a new receiver for the keyless ignition. 2018 - > 2019 was just bold new graphics, so yeah, unless you're getting this bike for ~$10000 I would REALLY recommend against buying this guy's bike as the wiring situation is uhh not ideal and I'm suspicious of the new crashbars when they're more expensive than just buying an upper set that ties into the lower OEM ones. you can also have KTM throw luggage into your financing if you prefer it that way

Oh yeah I didn’t mean that one in particular just the idea of these in general

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

Oh yeah I didn’t mean that one in particular just the idea of these in general

:greenangel:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

I do see them getting marked down like a mother fucker though. Not the R, but I saw a 2019 S listed down at 13.5 at the dealer. I wouldn't want that model but it is a pretty attractive price for what you get.

I mostly spooked myself reading through this website: https://790adventure.net/category/early-faults/ Though a lot of the issues do not seem that bad, I just wonder how many of them have been fixed in the factory at this point in the second year run of production

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

I do see them getting marked down like a mother fucker though. Not the R, but I saw a 2019 S listed down at 13.5 at the dealer. I wouldn't want that model but it is a pretty attractive price for what you get.

I mostly spooked myself reading through this website: https://790adventure.net/category/early-faults/ Though a lot of the issues do not seem that bad, I just wonder how many of them have been fixed in the factory at this point in the second year run of production

oh 100%. the only issue I have with the S is that the rear suspension is a little primitive compared to what you get in the R. also the cast wheels, but if you're staying mostly on the road and not doing stupid poo poo like jumping it then you'll be fine :D

also, all of the 790R models with rear suspension issues have been painlessly warrantied from what I've read. looks like the ones further along in production and in the new MY have had a couple of internal changes that match what the warrantied shocks have had, so if you have a later production R you'll be fine

same with the TFT display fogging. there's a new part # for the newer bikes that has been used for the ones getting warrantied and on the newer models. revised something with the plastics on the back of the unit

really I'd just see if you can catch a test ride on the 790R. you may like it more than the 1290, but with the 1290 being pretty much the same price as a 790R I'd find it very difficult to purchase the 790R unless I wanted a more of a "do it all" bike than one that makes more compromises offroad. the low slung tank of the 790 is incredible at how light it makes it feel. really makes the AT feel like an even bigger turd with it making less HP and weighing like 70 pounds more

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'm looking for a <$10k "allrounder" that can handle multi-day interstate travel, feels better than a KLR on twisty roads, and won't get stopped by poorly maintained muddy fire roads. I'm looking at the used 800gs/tiger market as well as used Africa Twins and KTM 990/1090s. I'v also thought about going cheap and picking up a used v-strom 650 for less than half the cost and enjoying the freedom of not giving a poo poo if I break it in some hilarious way.

Any recommendations?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

I'm looking for a <$10k "allrounder" that can handle multi-day interstate travel, feels better than a KLR on twisty roads, and won't get stopped by poorly maintained muddy fire roads. I'm looking at the used 800gs/tiger market as well as used Africa Twins and KTM 990/1090s. I'v also thought about going cheap and picking up a used v-strom 650 for less than half the cost and enjoying the freedom of not giving a poo poo if I break it in some hilarious way.

Any recommendations?

Tiger 800s are stupendous bikes if you like your bikes to be completely unobtrusive to the riding experience. Like it'll soak up everything the road can throw at it, but the engine is just sort of there. It moves the bike. It does it well enough, but it doesn't advertise the fact.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

the low slung tank of the 790 is incredible at how light it makes it feel. really makes the AT feel like an even bigger turd with it making less HP and weighing like 70 pounds more

all my gs buddies went to a 790r which lol. I do wanna go jump one sometime.
The dct with the alt-armor loadout I'm pretty sure has a solid 100lb on my old rear end 950. lay the fucker over and that number creeps up to gs made of klrium heavy.

KodiakRS posted:

Any recommendations?

Can you fix poo poo? 9x0/1x90.
Mechanically inept? AT

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KodiakRS posted:

Any recommendations?

Used 690/701 if you want more dirt focus. Otherwise, what CSB said. If v-strom, you can also look at the 650 GSs in various flavors or a dr650 and make coydog super happy.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

KodiakRS posted:

Any recommendations?

So, you want a DR650.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

So, you want a DR650.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

So, you want a DR650.

no lie I had typed that up as a "gently caress maintenance" option.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think of my top 5 favorite paved roads, and everything I know about dirt riding (close to gently caress-all), and I'd always pick the DR out of that spread, no question. If it comes with motard wheels I would sprint ahead and jump on so nobody else could.

If coydog is a faster runner, the strom. It's not a bike you'd lust after but they are rather good. Like a big heavy motarded SV.

The others are all equal last, though the tiger stands out as an objectively bad bike whereas the others are more a matter of philosophy.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 1, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

(Vstrom) It's not a bike you'd lust after but they are rather good. Like a big heavy motarded SV.

I actually do lust for the first gen Vstrom650/1000, but I never got with it because I figured they sucked for any sort of off road. Arent they heavy and ungainly and the tires suck? Like any sort of enduro stuff would put you in the hospital right?

Back when I was into multi state "adv" motocamping touring, they did appeal quite a bit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I think of my top 5 favorite paved roads, and everything I know about dirt riding (close to gently caress-all), and I'd always pick the DR out of that spread, no question. If it comes with motard wheels I would sprint ahead and jump on so nobody else could.

If coydog is a faster runner, the strom. It's not a bike you'd lust after but they are rather good. Like a big heavy motarded SV.

The others are all equal last, though the tiger stands out as an objectively bad bike whereas the others are more a matter of philosophy.

I would say the Tiger is an objectively great bike, but subjectively boring as poo poo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Finger Prince posted:

I would say the Tiger is an objectively great bike, but subjectively boring as poo poo.

I rode one fast in deep sand once and that was very exciting.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

builds character posted:

I rode one fast in deep sand once and that was very exciting.

That would probably be exciting on anything though. I just felt the tiger was invisible, which in a certain kind of riding and approach to riding might be a positive thing. It's like an efficient butler.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

I actually do lust for the first gen Vstrom650/1000, but I never got with it because I figured they sucked for any sort of off road. Arent they heavy and ungainly and the tires suck? Like any sort of enduro stuff would put you in the hospital right?

Back when I was into multi state "adv" motocamping touring, they did appeal quite a bit.

all adv bikes suck in real enduro poo poo, some just suck less (KTMs :D)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Tires is an easy equation to solve. I'm never sure when people say "offroad" if they mean "off pavement" or gnarlier than that. Stroms are just fine on like fire roads/forestry roads, so like dirt/gravel but on some map somewhere. I wouldn't take mine into singletrack though I'm sure some people try. Too heavy and too much plastic for my jank rear end offroad skills.

Mine mostly existed as a commuter and light tourer and it did me pretty decent for a decade.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I've worked on two and they both felt like time machines to Triumph circa 1990 but I don't know what the most recent ones are like. Awful electric everything, guzzi-like finish on the metal parts, extremely mediocre to ride. Basically irrespective of my anecdotal dislike there is nothing that bike does any better than any of the others and lots of things it does a lot worse.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I've worked on two and they both felt like time machines to Triumph circa 1990 but I don't know what the most recent ones are like. Awful electric everything, guzzi-like finish on the metal parts, extremely mediocre to ride. Basically irrespective of my anecdotal dislike there is nothing that bike does any better than any of the others and lots of things it does a lot worse.

The one I rented was a fully farkled ~2016 XRX model. The most memorable thing about it was I couldn't get the cruise control to work and it had bar risers and chunky pegs to stand on. I agree with a lot of what you said, but for some people answering "no" to the question of "did you notice it?" is exactly what they want in a bike. I mean, it must be, otherwise why would they build it like that?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Coydog posted:

So, you want a DR650.

I'm afraid that I had to ride a KLR 650 for a few hours on the interstate once because it's owner decided to ride home in the back of an ambulance. I will never, ever, ride a large displacement thumper on the interstate again unless my life depends on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

all adv bikes suck in real enduro poo poo, some just suck less (KTMs :D)

Agreed. Won't stop me though. ask me again in about 8 days.

KodiakRS posted:

I'm afraid that I had to ride a KLR 650 for a few hours on the interstate once because it's owner decided to ride home in the back of an ambulance. I will never, ever, ride a large displacement thumper on the interstate again unless my life depends on it.

had one; killed the fucker. One less KLR on the roads, no regrets.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Finger Prince posted:

That would probably be exciting on anything though. I just felt the tiger was invisible, which in a certain kind of riding and approach to riding might be a positive thing. It's like an efficient butler.

Yeah, exciting was not good in this case.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I just bought this

paid 2000€ plus my KTM 640 (so glad i got rid of it)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah good get :hfive:

E: only 6.5ks AND in one of the best colors? You did well

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 1, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

KodiakRS posted:

Your lovely klr experience does not equal the smooth easy breezy satisfying highway dream that is the DR650. It's like one of the nicest things about it. If I ever had to take highway long distances or for errands, I'd always head straight for the DR. It swallows miles while you just chill and look at the scenery.

KLR's suck. You want a DR650.

Combat Theory posted:

I just bought this

That's an amazing color! Grats on your new twin. Grats on dropping a ktm from your life.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 1, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah KLRs got really pumped up by the advrider crowd for whatever reason, but they’re objectively worse than a DR

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah KLRs got really pumped up by the advrider crowd for whatever reason, but they’re objectively worse than a DR

I legit think it's because they came in butch army green whereas the DR was all year after year of Bold New Graphics.
(not that the KLR didn't have jaunty colour options, but when have you seen one that wasn't army green?)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 1, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It also comes in digital camo. For Men.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

I just bought this

Holy poo poo I did not know they came in that color, very cool.

Finger Prince posted:

I legit think it's because they came in butch army green whereas the DR was all year after year of Bold New Graphics.
(not that the KLR didn't have jaunty colour options, but when have you seen one that wasn't army green?)

Nonsense I've seen loads of brown ones!

I remember once a guy rolled up to a council event with a really immaculate early 90's one, it was maroon with a bunch of sick rad teal graphics and it looked....decent? Was a real mind gently caress.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah KLRs got really pumped up by the advrider crowd for whatever reason, but they’re objectively worse than everything

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
SV650s are cool in most respects, but you know how every person has a weird thing they think is weird or bad, and nobody else thinks it's a big deal?

I can't get over how ugly the exhaust header on the SV650 looks to me. It's just kinda hanging out there, all by its lonesome, skinny, and sad, and routed in front of the oil cooler (!?!?!) for some reason. The new ones are even worse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d argue it would look way weirder if the heat exchanger was extended way out in front of the header. Even if the header was brought inwards in the absence of the oil cooler.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

I just bought this

That bike looks cool as gently caress, congrats

Mirconium posted:

SV650s are cool in most respects, but you know how every person has a weird thing they think is weird or bad, and nobody else thinks it's a big deal?

I can't get over how ugly the exhaust header on the SV650 looks to me. It's just kinda hanging out there, all by its lonesome, skinny, and sad, and routed in front of the oil cooler (!?!?!) for some reason. The new ones are even worse.

Yeah, I'm with you, I wish they had full fairings (I'm aware of the SV650S and aftermarket fairings)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the half-fared look outweighs the weird dangly v-twin header on the SV650.

If it were black-ish or wrapped in tape it would stick out less though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Think of it as a performance thing: that header is the absolute ideal shape, they could've made it turn to the right so as to more neatly follow the engine contour but it would've lost 0.05% efficiency!

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Think of it as a performance thing: that header is the absolute ideal shape, they could've made it turn to the right so as to more neatly follow the engine contour but it would've lost 0.05% efficiency!

Be careful Slavvy. I am an engineer by training, and I have a terrible revelation for you. This train of logic ends in a dark place. Have you ever considered... The efficiency of socks + sandals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

Be careful Slavvy. I am an engineer by training, and I have a terrible revelation for you. This train of logic ends in a dark place. Have you ever considered... The efficiency of socks + sandals?

If you're anything like every bike riding engineer I've ever met: stay away from all bikes, including your own, for the safety of yourself, other people and the bikes themselves.

But you aren't, because you're posting here, so you probably already know that a cpu fan can't cool a rectifier, that running the AC coils from an alternator straight to a rectifier doesn't work, and that it's possible the people who built the bike know more about how bikes work than you do.