Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

How come there is no specific name for the ancient greek/roman religion?

The Greeks and Romans themselves didn’t really draw a sharp distinction between their own religion and other people’s. They tended to see other people’s gods as their own gods under different names: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretatio_graeca

Sometimes they were actually right about this, in a sense! The cults of similar gods sometimes did have a common origin. In other cases the parallels were a stretch. And where they didn’t find parallels, they were often willing to add the cults of new gods. The extent to which this syncretism should be considered a form of “tolerance” is sometimes overstated, but that’s a complicated subject in itself.

There wasn’t enough of a distinction made at the time between “Greek religion,” “Roman religion,” “Egyptian religion,” etc. for terminology to strictly delineate them to emerge, for the most part. The distinction that seemed more important at the time was between Jewish (and later Christian) monotheism and everyone else’s polytheism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Comstar posted:

Ask most miniature wargamers about going to the trouble of painting their figures. It can cost more for someone to paint the figures for you, and there was no way I can see that anyone rich enough to have a stature would be painting it themselves. I bet a lot of the unpainted ones were left like that because it was an optional extra cost.

that's because modern production techniques mean making a figure is very cheap compared to the cost of paying someone to hand-paint one, though. I would expect that the cost of a statue would've been much higher relative to the cost of painting it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The idea of "I have my beliefs, which are right, and people who believe otherwise are wrong and should be converted" is surprisingly rare in the ancient world.

Arguably the idea was actually quite common - it just wasn’t called “religion,” but “philosophy”!

But even then, the disagreement was mostly intellectual - I don’t believe it was ever actually illegal to be an Epicurean.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I should probably also qualify that with conformity mattering within the community--there was a reason the charge against Socrates was atheism. It was very common to believe that if the whole community didn't participate in the communal relationship with the gods, then the community itself would be punished. You just didn't tend to go proselytizing your community's method of interfacing with the supernatural. We have our method, the other people have theirs. Beliefs that are personal (as in, you might be converted to it and believe something different from your neighbors) instead of community-based did exist throughout recorded history (buddhism and zoroastrianism are both quite old) but they took a very long time to become dominant

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anaxogoras got driven out of Athens for impiety due to his various astronomical theories, like eclipses being caused by the relative positions of the moon and sun, the moon shining because of reflected sunlight, and the sun being an enormous white-hot mass of molten metal bigger than all of Greece put together, with pieces that occasionally get flung off which land as meteorites

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I should probably also qualify that with conformity mattering within the community--there was a reason the charge against Socrates was atheism. It was very common to believe that if the whole community didn't participate in the communal relationship with the gods, then the community itself would be punished. You just didn't tend to go proselytizing your community's method of interfacing with the supernatural. We have our method, the other people have theirs. Beliefs that are personal (as in, you might be converted to it and believe something different from your neighbors) instead of community-based did exist throughout recorded history (buddhism and zoroastrianism are both quite old) but they took a very long time to become dominant

This is an important qualification, yeah. Although I would add a qualification to the qualification: There were people who converted to a personal faith in Mithras, Isis, or even Dionysus. It just wasn't mutually exclusive with participation in the mainstream civic religion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunicate posted:

Anaxogoras got driven out of Athens for impiety due to his various astronomical theories, like eclipses being caused by the relative positions of the moon and sun, the moon shining because of reflected sunlight, and the sun being an enormous white-hot mass of molten metal bigger than all of Greece put together, with pieces that occasionally get flung off which land as meteorites
I'm gonna guess it's that last one which keeps him from getting lauded the way that guy who sort of guessed that maybe atoms are a thing does.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

I'm gonna guess it's that last one which keeps him from getting lauded the way that guy who sort of guessed that maybe atoms are a thing does.

He ended up settling in Lampsacus after getting driven out of Athens, and apparently everyone there loved him.

He did cheat a bit, it turns out it's pretty easy to get every up-and-coming student to praise your name if your dying wish is to make the anniversary of your death a permanent school holiday.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

The Greeks and Romans themselves didn’t really draw a sharp distinction between their own religion and other people’s. They tended to see other people’s gods as their own gods under different names: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretatio_graeca

Sometimes they were actually right about this, in a sense! The cults of similar gods sometimes did have a common origin. In other cases the parallels were a stretch. And where they didn’t find parallels, they were often willing to add the cults of new gods. The extent to which this syncretism should be considered a form of “tolerance” is sometimes overstated, but that’s a complicated subject in itself.

There wasn’t enough of a distinction made at the time between “Greek religion,” “Roman religion,” “Egyptian religion,” etc. for terminology to strictly delineate them to emerge, for the most part. The distinction that seemed more important at the time was between Jewish (and later Christian) monotheism and everyone else’s polytheism.

Jupiter and Zues even share the same root. Lots of similarities.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

euphronius posted:

sky dad

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

That whole indo-european thing is part of it. Indo-Europeans spread the same deity framework across most of Europe in prehistory, then historical era, all the writers and thinkers go "hey all our gods are the same, but under different names" -- well, yes, they actually are all variations on the same set of indo-european deities, yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The introduction / exposure to the Semitic gods must have been intoxicating.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Silver2195 posted:

This is an important qualification, yeah. Although I would add a qualification to the qualification: There were people who converted to a personal faith in Mithras, Isis, or even Dionysus. It just wasn't mutually exclusive with participation in the mainstream civic religion.

Thinking of it as a “personal faith” is a bit misleading because belief was often irrelevant. There were people who decided to participate in the cult rituals of Mithras, Isis, or Dionysus. This wasn’t mutually exclusive with participation in mainstream religion because of course it wasn’t, they didn’t make competing claims on belief or anything, they just had special, different rituals that some people elected to take part in.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020
Nobody gave a poo poo what you believed in, as long as you behaved in socially acceptable ways, which included participating in mainstream religious rites. It doesn't really matter what you think about the emperor's divinity, just make an offering like all decent Romans do, alright?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthopraxy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Basically. The way you got in trouble was if you refused to do the rites considered necessary to the survival of the state. And it wasn't really religious persecution per se, it was broad Roman policy that they really did not give much of a gently caress about what you did so long as you did not threaten the state by doing so. There are exceptions of course (mostly occasional moral panics, like about Bacchanals), but for the most part this is true. The flip side of this is if you did threaten the state, you would be mercilessly destroyed.

They didn't go after Christians because they gave a poo poo about people having a new belief, they went after them because they refused to participate in the necessary aspects of Roman religious practice.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
I know it's a bit outside this thread's purpose, but it was recently brought up, so does anyone have any good books on the Sengoku period in Japan?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

UnkleBoB posted:

I know it's a bit outside this thread's purpose, but it was recently brought up, so does anyone have any good books on the Sengoku period in Japan?
It's the end of the period, but Samuel Hawley's "The Imjin War" is about the Japanese invasion of Korea starting in 1592, and is very interesting.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Is this why a lot of the Greek gods have different epithets, like Apollo Phythios and Apollo Helios? Are these different aspects or avatars under a particular "umbrella" deity, or are they understood as just being a different name for the same dude? I've always wondered about that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Goldreallas XXX posted:

Is this why a lot of the Greek gods have different epithets, like Apollo Phythios and Apollo Helios? Are these different aspects or avatars under a particular "umbrella" deity, or are they understood as just being a different name for the same dude? I've always wondered about that.

Different specific aspects of the same deity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How many records do we have of Greek military engineering? I just hit an instance where Xenophon (Hellenika 5.2.3) describes the Spartans building a circumvallation and damming a river, causing it to flood, waterlogging and threatening to destroy the walls of Mantineia. This would be utterly unremarkable in a Roman history but I'm 2/3 or so of the way through this and it's the first instance I've seen of any Greek army doing anything but ram its phalanx into the enemy army and hope for the best

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cheetah7071 posted:

How many records do we have of Greek military engineering? I just hit an instance where Xenophon (Hellenika 5.2.3) describes the Spartans building a circumvallation and damming a river, causing it to flood, waterlogging and threatening to destroy the walls of Mantineia. This would be utterly unremarkable in a Roman history but I'm 2/3 or so of the way through this and it's the first instance I've seen of any Greek army doing anything but ram its phalanx into the enemy army and hope for the best
Well, Alexander made a peninsula in order to better besiege Tyre, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as Greek exactly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You just made 10 million enemies for life

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

You just made 10 million enemies for life

there’s a whole country called Macedonia I’m sure they’re the real heirs of Alexander the Great

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's all Greek to me

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

evilweasel posted:

there’s a whole country called Macedonia I’m sure they’re the real heirs of Alexander the Great

Actually, it's North Macedonia now. :colbert:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Once they get into the EU they should change their name to "Better Greece" just to match the pettiness.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

There was a bit in Thucydides about an army building siege walls while the other army built counter siege walls, which is a whole crazy thing. I think that happened once in the Gallic wars in Rome too, so it's not just a weird fluke of its own.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

Actually, it's North Macedonia now. :colbert:

If Greece wants to make a fuss they're welcome to do it the old fashioned way: military invasion followed by annexation.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Whomstever can lift the heaviest weight gets the right to be Macedonia for the year

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Notably, Xenophon's point with the story seemed to be less because he thought the details of the siege were super noteworthy, but because he had a snarky punchline in mind:

quote:

This is how matters turned out at Mantineia, and men became wiser from this incident in one way at least: that one should not have a river flow between one's walls.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So how stable were Roman patron/client relationships, and how much agency was permitted to the client to leave the relationship? Was it seen as a lifelong commitment based on honour, or was it seen as more of a business arrangement? Was it seen as acceptable or dishonourable for clients to change patrons without the permission of the previous patron? Would patrons compete for the best clients, and try to steal clients away from other patrons? Was it seen as betrayal for a freedman to leave the patron that freed them from slavery? How much force could patrons use to retain clients? And what would clients do when they had personal grievances against their current patron, would they seek out new ones?

I understand patrons would necessarily change as a result of civil wars and political persecutions, I'm asking more about the norms when things weren't in a state of emergency.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

UnkleBoB posted:

It's not really a history book, more like a historical novel, but I always like to recommend Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Goldreallas XXX posted:

There's a similar case in Christianity, at least Catholicism (probably Orthodoxy as well?): the Virgin Mary. Our Lady of Guadalupe, Our Lady of Fátima, Our Lady of Sorrows and Stella Maris are different aspects of a single being.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was a bit in Thucydides about an army building siege walls while the other army built counter siege walls, which is a whole crazy thing. I think that happened once in the Gallic wars in Rome too, so it's not just a weird fluke of its own.

That was at Syracuse, IIRC.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Christianity is the last religion you want to look at if you are talking about monotheism.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Am I misremembering or was there some sort of predictive text thing that got run into the ground in this thread aeons ago about the fall of Rome where everything after the first sentence was always some vaguely authentic sounding nonsense?

Couldn't find it looking through the thread and search is useless

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Am I misremembering or was there some sort of predictive text thing that got run into the ground in this thread aeons ago about the fall of Rome where everything after the first sentence was always some vaguely authentic sounding nonsense?

Couldn't find it looking through the thread and search is useless

talktotransformer problably

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did I kick this whole thing off by joking that the Spartans weren't good at anything? I'm sorry. I'm also one of those weird people who thinks the gobsmackingly obvious satire in Snyder's films is in fact satire.

Historical parallels are bullshit, but it's not for nothing that pop-culture Spartan worship seems to coincide with special forces worship. Very silly to have that as a model for how your entire military should operate. My understanding is that the Spartans were in fact excellent infantry soldiers, but as a product of their extremely unequal mode of production, this came at the cost of not being able to establish colonies, field a decent navy, keep their army in the field very long, or really project power beyond the Peloponnese much at all.

Edit: VVV This isn't CineD, so let's not.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 5, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is satire in 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

. My understanding is that the Spartans were in fact excellent infantry soldiers, but as a product of their extremely unequal mode of production, this came at the cost of not being able to establish colonies, ...

As far as I know, Sparts had two successful colonies, Thera and Tarento, as well as a few in Crete, and also failed colonies in Libya and Sicily.

Also, was Melos a Spartan colony? I thought that was the reason they gave for wanting to stay neutral during the Peloponnesian war.