Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anybody get the Alien RPG book? I couldn’t find a thread in traditional games
Yes, and from my extremely biased opinion it's loving great.

It's got a ton of well-hidden fanservice easter eggs, including multiple shout-outs to the old 90s Kenner toys, rejected Alien3 scripts, old comic books, the *old* Aliens RPG, all kinds of poo poo. It's really dense with information for people to mine from for RPG purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Same. It's a good system and the presentation is stellar; a thick hardback book that you could whack a xeno with, lavishly illustrated, gorgeously laid out, and chock full of info on the setting. It's a coffee table book with rules in. I got the dice sets too and they're very nice.

But a thread in TG would be nice. Anyone want to run a PBP ?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's good as Hell. I am setting up a roll20 or skype campaign and might have room for a couple more.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want it but I'm broke.

Well, I got the new Trinity edition instead with my Christmas money because I love that old failed 90s sci-fi game. Alienw a sslightly below it on my purchase priorities.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just opened up my copy of the book. This might be what gets me to check out Roll20.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Horrible Taste posted:

Dark Horse is following up the comic adaptation of William Gibson's Alien 3 screenplay with one for Dan O'Bannon's original Alien screenplay in April:

I'm tentatively interested. The William Gibson one was a real letdown.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I'm tentatively interested. The William Gibson one was a real letdown.

How so? The quality of the original script or the artwork/layout?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The art was quite good. I thought the story was mostly pretty boring and had a pretty weak climax. You think it's building up to something exciting... and then it just ends and you're like: "Oh, that earlier bit was supposed to be the climax? Huh."

It's not completely terrible, there's some interesting ideas and as I mentioned before the art's nice. I just found it overall disappointing.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yes. It’s great.

Seconding that we should have a thread for it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The art was quite good. I thought the story was mostly pretty boring and had a pretty weak climax. You think it's building up to something exciting... and then it just ends and you're like: "Oh, that earlier bit was supposed to be the climax? Huh."

It's not completely terrible, there's some interesting ideas and as I mentioned before the art's nice. I just found it overall disappointing.
The audio drama adaptation is better (or at the very least, a good companion to the comic). The pacing in the audio drama is better, some of the more confusing events are clearer, characters like Hicks and Bishop have more of a "voice" (literally), ultimately I thought it flowed better overall.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

Yes. It’s great.

Seconding that we should have a thread for it.

There is an all-purpose Free League RPG thread but I agree it deserves its own. Time permitting maybe I'll be the thread-doer.

E: I would like to formally open up my game to one lucky goon. PM me if interested. Should be a 3-4 hour a weekend commitment.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 27, 2020

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I guess the weak comic is kind of expected, if you think about it. It is an adaption of a script that was ultimately rejected for not being up to snuff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Covok posted:

I guess the weak comic is kind of expected, if you think about it. It is an adaption of a script that was ultimately rejected for not being up to snuff.

The introduction by Gibson is pretty neat, he was coming off of his writing success and he got hired because they thought he could inject some unique ideas and tone into an Alien movie sort of in the style of his existing body of work, and instead he tried to write something as close in tone to the first two movies as he could and didn’t realize that wasn’t what Fox was looking for. It isn’t so much that his script was “bad”, it’s that it was never taken past the first draft because Fox said “thanks, we should have been clearer on what we wanted” and that was the end of Gibson’s involvement.

I blame the weak comic adaptation on the artist not understanding pacing or depicting characters in ways that convey emotion. The audio drama uses the same script and makes it work just fine.

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Disney just fired Emma Watts, who was instrumental in letting Scott have creative freedom on the prequels.

I guess the lovely remake of Cameron’s film with teenagers screaming “get away from her you bitch!” at PG-13 Xenos or something equally terrible is inevitable now.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was inevitable, they didn’t make a billion dollars so they gotta get that PG13 Marvel money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish disney would fire itself into a canon and die

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saturnalia posted:

Disney just fired Emma Watts, who was instrumental in letting Scott have creative freedom on the prequels.

I guess the lovely remake of Cameron’s film with teenagers screaming “get away from her you bitch!” at PG-13 Xenos or something equally terrible is inevitable now.

Alternately you could read it as Disney showing her the door after the middling response to Alien: Covenant both critically and financially from critics, general audiences, and fans alike, which I’m not that heartbroken over.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Alternately you could read it as Disney showing her the door after the middling response to Alien: Covenant both critically and financially from critics, general audiences, and fans alike, which I’m not that heartbroken over.

Even worse. gently caress those fans.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Saturnalia posted:

Ripley clone befriends a baby alien queen and has to protect her from colonial marines sent by the Company.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I appreciated them just letting him do whatever the gently caress he wanted. They made money just not enough.

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

I wish disney would fire itself into a canon and die

I really enjoy the two we currently have, and I think they work quite well as a duology if we don’t receive a follow-up. Prometheus informs us our creators want us dead in an ultimately nihilist universe, and Covenant does the same with our creation, AI.

The third would have likely done the same with David’s (AI) creation (Xenos) killing him due to his hubris (Covenant foreshadowed this by having the Xeno destroy the screen with David on it), and while I think Scott would have undoubtedly adapted this well, I’d rather not have Disney gently caress it up for him.

Scott is notorious for wanting control, and I could not see him handling Disney’s attempts to force their franchise IP market research bullshit on him very well. It’s why he turned down Disney Star Wars and superhero movies.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Could David even be killed? Say what you will about Weyland, his products are extremely durable, unlike those Tyrell abominations

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blood Boils posted:

Could David even be killed? Say what you will about Weyland, his products are extremely durable, unlike those Tyrell abominations

To Tyrell's credit he found his own way to make his creations last forever when we learn in 2049 that he made a replicant that could give birth to another replicant. Note how David spends the entirety of Covenant attempting to do the same. :D

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ruddiger posted:

Ripley clone befriends a baby alien queen and has to protect her from colonial marines sent by the Company.

From Alien to Metroid and then from Metroid to Alien.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Even worse. gently caress those fans.

I’m not only talking about the fans - I’m looking at the critic and user/audience scores on RT, Metacritic, and IMDb.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not only talking about the fans - I’m looking at the critic and user/audience scores on RT, Metacritic, and IMDb.

Congrats, you've trained yourself to think like a studio executive; now you, too, can blindly grope around in a futile attempt to figure out how to pander to an audience you will never understand!

Just kidding, you don't have enough money to be that out of touch.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Holywood is a sinecure for upward failing failsons and eventually audiences need to stop giving money to trashpiles or it will only get worse.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The pulse rifle:

https://youtu.be/zDIPuP7T64Q

Discuss.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The only thing wrong with Covenant was forcing the xenomorph into it. It’s a good Lovecraft movie. The polish painter guy aliens were cool. David’s chilling. I want more of David’s No Good Lovecraftian Abomination Planet and I’m sad we won’t get it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My problem with Covenant is Walter would've absolutely rinsed David.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Groovelord Neato posted:

My problem with Covenant is Walter would've absolutely rinsed David.

How do you know he didn't?

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks for illustrating how reducing interpretation of art to percentages and box office numbers has had a corrosive effect on Hollywood’s gradual inability to make anything original in recent years, I guess. It’s a feature of late capitalism, though - so don’t take it personal.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saturnalia posted:

Thanks for illustrating how reducing interpretation of art to percentages and box office numbers has had a corrosive effect on Hollywood’s gradual inability to make anything original in recent years, I guess. It’s a feature of late capitalism, though - so don’t take it personal.

The point was to show that it wasn’t just “the fans” that were dissatisfied with Alien Covenant as CelticPredator claimed, using the only quantifiable metrics available.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I don’t care about those people and think they’re wrong.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I don’t care about those people and think they’re wrong.

Hey that’s fine, the point was that acting like any negative opinions of the movie can be attributed to “the fans” is demonstrably false. Plenty of fans liked the movie just fine, anyway.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prometheus was great but also kinda bad whilst Covenant was just disappointing

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

How do you know he didn't?

People forget that Walter can calculate and come to conclusions in the blink of an eye. Of course he saw the inevitability of David’s ideology and helped him escape the planet.

What I want to see is Walter continuing his teacher’s work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm getting the itch to buy one of those expensive replicas now. Has anyone made an official Alien Flamethrower prop? Aliens gets all of the love in regards to high-level weapon and prop replicas but Alien sees almost none of it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

General Battuta posted:

The only thing wrong with Covenant was forcing the xenomorph into it. It’s a good Lovecraft movie. The polish painter guy aliens were cool. David’s chilling. I want more of David’s No Good Lovecraftian Abomination Planet and I’m sad we won’t get it.

They spend the whole movie on it?? The alien only shows up at the very end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was also disappointed there was just an Engineer city I was looking forward to a planet that was all Giger nightmarescapes.