Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Lolie posted:

Gonna try to perfect my pie game this winter. It's getting harder to find decent pies, let alone great ones.

Gordon Ramsay's chicken and winter vegetable one is a cracker

I been working on my egg pies (quiches) recently and making some progress.

Just had a noticeable swing toward darker clouds and the heat in the shed just disappeared literally within the last 5 mins at the Mrs place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ili posted:

What type are you going to perfect first? There's so many pies out there.

Probably chicken and leek. I have a nice filling but I've only ever made it with frozen pastry so I want to find the perfect shortcrust and puff for it.

Pepper steak and steak and kidney are the other priorities, and of course a plain meat pie.

I'm not a big fan of most of the gourmet pies, so I'll be looking to keep it simple.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

McSpergin posted:

Gordon Ramsay's chicken and winter vegetable one is a cracker

I been working on my egg pies (quiches) recently and making some progress.

Just had a noticeable swing toward darker clouds and the heat in the shed just disappeared literally within the last 5 mins at the Mrs place

The secret to quiches is the custard (and of course the pastry - blind bake it, ffs). The golden ratio is 1 egg to half a cup of dairy. I use cream but you can use milk and cream.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
we're meant to get a week or rain or whatever from tuesday but the temp prediction for tomorrow keeps creeping up it was 36 yesterday, 38 last night and i wake up this morning and it said 39 so I'm just eyeing it off suspiciously waiting for it to tick over to 40

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Just had a swim. The water was really murky from river runoff into the bay

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
We have rain. Only light rain at the moment, but rain nonetheless. Temp has dropped to 26.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Lolie posted:

Probably chicken and leek. I have a nice filling but I've only ever made it with frozen pastry so I want to find the perfect shortcrust and puff for it.

Pepper steak and steak and kidney are the other priorities, and of course a plain meat pie.

I'm not a big fan of most of the gourmet pies, so I'll be looking to keep it simple.

Sounds pretty bloody good mate. Not sure there's anything better than a perfect pepper steak pie.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The southerly has hit and it's pushed all of the smoke towards us. poo poo's gonna go down with the fires now as well

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The southerly has hit and it's pushed all of the smoke towards us. poo poo's gonna go down with the fires now as well

Stay safe.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Drink drivers are scum

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Just fuckin rain ya oval office

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Looks like a half decent storm is heading our way from Bathurst now

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Looks like a half decent storm is heading our way from Bathurst now

Getting steady rain here now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ili posted:

Sounds pretty bloody good mate. Not sure there's anything better than a perfect pepper steak pie.

Steak and cheese pie is the one for me

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Lolie posted:

Getting steady rain here now.

We've had a couple of decent showers come through and it's cooled things beautifully. My fan by the front door is working it's hardest to push the cooler air into the house. The brids have also gone nuts since the rain hit.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

We've had a couple of decent showers come through and it's cooled things beautifully. My fan by the front door is working it's hardest to push the cooler air into the house. The brids have also gone nuts since the rain hit.

Pissing down here now. You should get it soon.

23 here now.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i keep rolling back and forth from "brother in law is depressed and I get it and its frustrating but he's family so its ok" to "I swear to god if I have to drag this shitcunt kicking and screaming to do the most basic day to day tasks i have been asking him to do for weeks I'm gonna snap and drive a car off the 13 into a lake" so fast lately I'm getting whiplash. I know it speaks more to my current state of mind than his but jfc I asked for help getting the whipper snipper operational and its been 8 hours and it turns out he can't find the whipper snipper head after we already mixed up some 2 stroke and prepped and tested the engine so I'm using a brush cutter for a completely inappropriate job i'll see you boys from the hospital

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lost power twice just now which would suck if not for the fact that it set off the alarm on my UPS and I have a powerful hangover

Semi related I'm done with Acid for at least a while.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Lolie posted:

Pissing down here now. You should get it soon.

23 here now.

Nah you guys are getting whatever falls off the mountains. We've had close to 10mm but the decent falls are appearing from Penrith onwards.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Lolie posted:

The secret to quiches is the custard (and of course the pastry - blind bake it, ffs). The golden ratio is 1 egg to half a cup of dairy. I use cream but you can use milk and cream.

I don't even use that much, 1 egg per tablespoon of heavy cream and a shitload of filling. The egg mix is basically just there to bind it all together for me. I use gruyere or other similar cheese in mine, about 80g mixed with that cream and egg mix then another 20 odd grams on top

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

McSpergin posted:

I don't even use that much, 1 egg per tablespoon of heavy cream and a shitload of filling. The egg mix is basically just there to bind it all together for me. I use gruyere or other similar cheese in mine, about 80g mixed with that cream and egg mix then another 20 odd grams on top

Also the blind baking is such an underrated thing

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Caesar Saladin, old mate at 300 queen st is v reliable if you still have him on fb, he's not cheap tho.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Got some thunder and decent rain up the northern beaches at the moment and it's dropped down to around 22, fantastiche

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

McSpergin posted:

McSpergin posted:

Also the blind baking is such an underrated thing

My go to Quiche recipe of all time is a blind baked case where I've made the pastry then for the filling it's whatever I've chosen (tinned aspargus, brocolli and bacan, mushroom and bacon or leek and olive) then the egg mix is 6 eggs and 300mL of cream beaten till they're combined. 15 minutes at 200c before turning down to 160 for the remianing 45 minutes.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

One of my faves is leek and pancetta with a lil soft blue cheese in there, maybe some butter fried mushies

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
#freenvj

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Just heard a radio ad on 101.7 saying book a trip to Japan and hit the slopes who comes up with this poo poo honestly.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Kharnifex posted:

Just heard a radio ad on 101.7 saying book a trip to Japan and hit the slopes who comes up with this poo poo honestly.

i dont think they meant "go over and beat up japanese people" dude wtf

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kharnifex posted:

Japan is a huge ski/snow sports destination but yeah that's a pretty big whoopsie.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

When i lived in Japan we went on a school ski trip to Nagano, it was sick.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

was thinking about how almost every other country in the world seems to refer to "the summer olympics" and "the olympics" rather than "the olympics" and "the winter olympics"

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The ski fields of the world are infested with Aussies but it never ceased to amuse me when I'd call one in Japan and instead of Moshi Moshi I'd get G'day

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I'm not up to date on racist nomenclature, is slopes still a slur? Like I wouldn't have even noticed that ad had I heard it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it is a slur referring to asian people's eyes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i genuinely don't think so, although NVJ fever has really brought out the weird proto-fascist dickheads on the local country fuckwit fb groups so if it is i'll probably be seeing and hearing a lot of it real soon

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

it is a slur referring to asian people's eyes

Yeah I get that just haven't heard it since gently caress knows when. Guess that comes with being in a coddled little corner of the universe where cunts don't throw racial slurs at the drop of a hat.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i dont think they meant "go over and beat up japanese people" dude wtf

:master:

ili posted:

Yeah I get that just haven't heard it since gently caress knows when. Guess that comes with being in a coddled little corner of the universe where cunts don't throw racial slurs at the drop of a hat.

Sounds like you don't know any army boys lol I've heard every slur under the sun I reckon from a few months working with em at the old place.
And they wonder why there's a culture problem

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

One would have to assume, based on the way everything else in Australian lad culture is, that it is a very clever way of marketing to "im not racist but" racists

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Isaac posted:

Pissing in a bottle while driving is real hard. Not a move to tey for the first time in a high pressure environment

A key factor when pissing while driving is getting something like a chocolate milk or iced coffee with a wide neck so you can get a good knob-to-rim seal with little effort.

If you've only got a thin-necked coke or water bottle (or even worse; a can), it's a lot more work to ensure everything's aligned and its probably worth just pulling over.

Disposing of your piss jugs considerately is also important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Big fan of roadside pissing
Sometimes you get to make eye contact with passing traffic, sometimes amuse a herd of cows.
Also you can do some roadside archaeology because theres always something worth either sqizzing at or pissing on