Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Cotard Delusion is the one that freaks me out the most.

As always when talking about complex delusions, I want to recommend the book The Air Loom Gang by Mike Jay. It’s about the first person to have his delusion of being tracked by the government with secret technologies thoroughly documented; the twist here is that it was the early 19th century, and the secret technologies included corpses animated by a pipe organ in the basement of the English Houses of Parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlbieQuirky posted:

As always when talking about complex delusions, I want to recommend the book The Air Loom Gang by Mike Jay. It’s about the first person to have his delusion of being tracked by the government with secret technologies thoroughly documented; the twist here is that it was the early 19th century, and the secret technologies included corpses animated by a pipe organ in the basement of the English Houses of Parliament.

The episodes of Hannibal with the girl with cotard is some of the creepiest in the series (along with the face blindness and her skin sloughing off).

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The powers of the air loom were apparently goon-based:

quote:

Haslam's book tells us that the Air Loom was surrounded by barrels that fed noxious gases through oiled leather pipes into the main body of the machine. The gases were derived from substances including 'gas from the horse's anus', 'seminal fluid', 'putrid human breath' and 'effluvia of dogs'.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

aphid_licker posted:

The powers of the air loom were apparently goon-based:

I love the understanding of the world this suggests.

All things vile and sapping of the spirit, collected from the wretched beasts of the earth and focused upon the pathetic object of torment by means of madcap contraption.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/mike_hixenbaugh/status/1221926956465381377?s=21

quote:

Dr. John Cox knew as soon as he heard the baby’s cry that he had hurt his 1-month-old adopted daughter. He’d accidentally fallen asleep while cuddling the girl in bed early one morning last May, he said, and must have turned on top of her.

Cox, 39, a pediatric emergency room doctor at Children’s Wisconsin hospital, sat up, panicked. His hands shook as he assessed the baby, he said, fearing that he’d smothered her. She wasn’t in distress, but he said he could tell from the way she was moving her left arm that he might have broken her collarbone, a common injury in infants that typically heals on its own without medical treatment.

Cox called his wife, Dr. Sadie Dobrozsi, who was out of town with their two older children, and cried as he explained what had happened. Dobrozsi, a pediatric oncologist at the same hospital, said she told him to calm down and asked to video chat. The baby appeared fine to her, but to be safe, Dobrozsi suggested that Cox take her to see her pediatrician.

“That’s what normal parents who aren’t doctors would do,” she told him.

What followed, according to more than 15 medical experts who later reviewed Cox’s case, was a series of medical mistakes and misstatements by hospital staff members that has devastated Cox’s family and derailed his career. A nurse practitioner on the hospital’s child abuse team confused the baby’s birthmarks for bruises, according to seven dermatologists who have reviewed the case. A child abuse pediatrician misinterpreted a crucial blood test, four hematologists later said. Then, two weeks after the incident, armed with those disputed medical reports, Child Protective Services took the child.

“In hindsight,” Cox said in a recent interview, “taking her to our own hospital was the single most harmful decision that we made for our baby.”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If they were actually asking doctors to falsify medical records then they should have their licenses stripped imo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is a weird one.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/mom-of-two-missing-kids-found-in-hawaii-with-new-husband/

Last July, Lori Vallow's ex-husband is shot dead by her brother, Alex Cox, in Phoenix. Cox pleads self-defense, and then dies of an unknown cause in December. Case is still under investigation.

Vallow moves to Idaho with her two kids (aged 7 and 17) about a month after the shooting. She tapers off contact with her family, last time anyone saw the kids was in September.

Meanwhile there's this guy in Idaho, one county over from where Vallow moved, Chad Daybell. He's married to Tammy. Tammy dies in October, supposedly of natural causes. Two weeks later Chad and Lori get married.

In November, the cops show up on a welfare check on the kids, since the relatives expressed concern. Lori and Chad say the kids moved back to Arizona to live with relatives. The cops go and check out that story and find that it's bullshit, and when they return to the house Lori and Chad have amscrayed.

Cops are still waiting on the test results from the autopsy on Tammy's body, which was exhumed in November.

Chad and Lori were just pulled over in Hawaii. The kids aren't with them. Chad and Lori do appear to be religious nuts, though.

My money's on this not ending well.

christmas boots posted:

If they were actually asking doctors to falsify medical records then they should have their licenses stripped imo

And charged with Federal crimes for conspiracy to violate someone's civil rights under color of law.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Jan 28, 2020

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

As someone who used to work in child welfare, while I can’t say I ever saw anything like this happen, I am really happy to not be working in child welfare anymore. Even the “good” outcomes suck.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what in the gently caress

https://torontolife.com/city/crime/the-sting-undercover-operation-gone-wrong/

tldr, in the 1970s, a young woman is murdered in ontario. the cops have no idea who did it, there's no clues they can find, it's a cold case. there's a slight suspicion it could be the next door neighbor, alan, but nothing at all to tie him to the crime. alan insists he didn't do it

decades pass. in 2007, working the old case, detectives interview a guy named david. david says on the day of the murder, he called alan to score pot. alan says he knows where he can get some. the murdered woman's husband was alan's pot guy. the police interview alan's ex wife of the time, who changes her story around a bit - thirty years after the events in question - in such a way that the cops get suspicious of alan again

by this time, alan is living in his kid's basement, a broken alcoholic with mental health issues and no friends. the cops set up an elaborate sting operation. the plan is to have an undercover cop befriend alan (the cop's pseudonym here is skinner) and try to persuade him into telling secrets. the cop confesses to a fake crime he committed, and tries to get alan to reciprocate. alan doesn't confess

the cops turn up the heat. they are gradually going to pull alan into a fake criminal underworld. skinner gets alan in touch with mr. big, also a cop, and they engage in a little fake crime spree. the cops get alan to participate in a robbery, where they hold another cop at gunpoint and then have alan steal a bag of weed from the fake victim then vamoose. then this happens:

quote:

A little after 1 a.m., Skinner knocked on Alan’s window. Alan thought they were starting their fishing trip early, so he got into Skinner’s truck with a cup of coffee. They stopped at an industrial park in Vaughan, where they found Mr. Big covered in blood. “We got a fuckin’ problem here.” In the back of his truck were a pair of blood-soaked boots and a body, wrapped in a tarp. It was the guy they’d stolen drugs from earlier that night. “He’s no longer around,” Mr. Big told Alan.

It wasn’t really a body—it was a weighted mannequin, a big action figure, and the blood was from a sheep. Mr. Big ordered Alan and Skinner to dispose of the body, bury the boots, destroy his cellphone and burn Mr. Big’s clothes. Alan panicked. He thought maybe he could leave his best friend and jump out of the truck, but he realized he didn’t have money for a cab, and he didn’t even know where he was. When they loaded the body into Skinner’s truck, he begged and pleaded with Skinner: “Get me out of here.” He started to shake and couldn’t stop. He thought he was going to throw up. Skinner made him unload the mannequin and push it down a hill into oblivion. They smashed the phone with a hammer and threw it out the window as they drove through the dark to the cottage where they were supposed to go fishing. It was dawn by the time they arrived.

Alan wanted to go home. He was afraid Mr. Big was going to kill them both. Desperate for some rest, he went off on his own to lie down. What he didn’t know was that while he was sleeping, Skinner snuck out of the cottage to meet with Mr. Big and several others on the side of the road. They agreed that no one was leaving until Alan confessed to Beverly’s murder 35 years earlier. Skinner told Mr. Big, “I had to try to get him some fuckin’ sleep, ’cause gently caress he is old and he has been up like a thousand hours now.” The men talked about how best to go about interrogating Alan, whether to confront him alone or together, and how the latter option might displease a judge when the case made it to court.

When Alan woke up, Mr. Big and Skinner returned to the cottage. Mr. Big explained that he’d had to kill the guy they’d robbed. The guy had had the gall to confront Mr. Big, who worried he had a knife. So he shot him. Now, he said, he needed Alan and Skinner to confess to something equivalent. It was blackmail, insurance against implicating him in the supposed murder. “It fuckin’ stays here, and we’re goin’ to our fuckin’ graves with what we talked about,” Mr. Big lied. Skinner told the make-believe story about the girl’s drunk driving incident, then he left the room. Alan asked to go outside for a cigarette, but Mr. Big said no. He ordered Alan to take off his glasses, then he picked up a knife. “You’re staying here with me,” Mr. Big bellowed. Afraid Mr. Big would kill him if he didn’t talk, Alan finally confessed that he’d been involved in Beverly Smith’s murder. He said he had stolen 40 pounds of marijuana from her house while his old buddy David Maunder shot her in the kitchen. “I was in on it,” Alan admitted.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

luxury handset posted:

what in the gently caress

https://torontolife.com/city/crime/the-sting-undercover-operation-gone-wrong/

tldr, in the 1970s, a young woman is murdered in ontario. the cops have no idea who did it, there's no clues they can find, it's a cold case. there's a slight suspicion it could be the next door neighbor, alan, but nothing at all to tie him to the crime. alan insists he didn't do it

decades pass. in 2007, working the old case, detectives interview a guy named david. david says on the day of the murder, he called alan to score pot. alan says he knows where he can get some. the murdered woman's husband was alan's pot guy. the police interview alan's ex wife of the time, who changes her story around a bit - thirty years after the events in question - in such a way that the cops get suspicious of alan again

by this time, alan is living in his kid's basement, a broken alcoholic with mental health issues and no friends. the cops set up an elaborate sting operation. the plan is to have an undercover cop befriend alan (the cop's pseudonym here is skinner) and try to persuade him into telling secrets. the cop confesses to a fake crime he committed, and tries to get alan to reciprocate. alan doesn't confess

the cops turn up the heat. they are gradually going to pull alan into a fake criminal underworld. skinner gets alan in touch with mr. big, also a cop, and they engage in a little fake crime spree. the cops get alan to participate in a robbery, where they hold another cop at gunpoint and then have alan steal a bag of weed from the fake victim then vamoose. then this happens:

clearly this department is overstaffed

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's like in star trek whenever it turns out they were in the holodeck all along

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ACAB

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I can't believe they called their crime boss "Mr Big"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hawowanlawow posted:

I can't believe they called their crime boss "Mr Big"

I couldn't stop picturing Hank Hill saying it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Brawnfire posted:

I couldn't stop picturing Hank Hill saying it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I loving love that movie

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the band rocks too

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Woman who tricked best friend into quitting job is jailed

Helen Dove, 31, from St Helens, Merseyside, was jailed for two years and eight months after she posed as 15 different council workers, sending thousands of emails and tricking her friend into believing she had landed a sought-after job at a local authority.
Dove invented a sophisticated network of fake colleagues and sent thousands of emails on their behalf to convince Baker she had landed a role at the authority. She also forged bank statements, contracts of employment and faked job interviews through numerous false email accounts, Liverpool crown court heard.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Some people have too much goddamn time on their hands

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

This was all done over email? Did her or anyone she talked to about it not immediately find it suspicious as all hell that she never so much as talked to anyone on the phone? Met someone in person for an interview?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ShootaBoy posted:

This was all done over email? Did her or anyone she talked to about it not immediately find it suspicious as all hell that she never so much as talked to anyone on the phone? Met someone in person for an interview?

The offer sight unseen is weird as hell but ... holy poo poo look at everything else surrounding it. Like, I'd be concerned someone was identity thieving me but this is just so bizarre that I'm not sure "new but close friend is faking me getting my dream job for no apparent reason" would come to me much sooner.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Azathoth posted:

The offer sight unseen is weird as hell but ... holy poo poo look at everything else surrounding it. Like, I'd be concerned someone was identity thieving me but this is just so bizarre that I'm not sure "new but close friend is faking me getting my dream job for no apparent reason" would come to me much sooner.

The whole thing sends up enough red flags on its own. Even without the friend faking it angle its still suspicious as poo poo and somehow nobody noticed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Horse people can be very weird...

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Azathoth posted:

The offer sight unseen is weird as hell

A couple of years ago, I got a phone call from someone who was wondering when I could start my new job so that he could train me to take over a project he was leaving.

I had not been looking for a job and didn’t want a job, so I was extremely confused. As far as I can reconstruct, I had done a small freelance project for this business years earlier and the very disorganized head person had apparently suggested they reach out to me for this job opening, and then somehow this had gotten garbled into “Head dude hired AlbieQuirky to replace phone call dude” and honestly I wish it was half that easy when I am actually looking for work :shrug:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Speaking of the air loom, I just found this well done short (trailer?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc1LOPoSE3A

As far as the Cotard delusion, It's beyond unnerving and the obsessive behaviors that can come with it. Interviewing someone with the delusion will leave you doubting your own sanity. I'm going to describe one such case and caution you to Google at your own risk due to gore and graphic violence.

"Dead," the original singer from the black metal band Mayhem, suffered from Cotard's delusion after a bullying incident at age 11, which left him with a ruptured spleen and, by the 1980 clinical definition, rendered him clinically dead (lack of heartbeat) for several minutes. This left him with severe psychological problems including Cotard's delusion; he became obsessed with death an pioneered "corpse paint, the black and white face makeup associated with extreme metal. He also shocked audiences with acts of self-mutilation.

In 1991, at the age of 22, Dead sadly succumbed to whatever of his multiple mental illnesses and (remember that CW for graphic violence, here it comes) used a shard of broken glass to slit his wrists and throat, and finished himself off with a shotgun blast to his forehead.

He left behind a simple apology to his bandmates, who he knew would find him, stating simply (translated) "Please excuse all of the blood."

The band used a photo of the suicide scene as the cover artwork of their next album, Dawn of the Black Hearts. Again, you will see graphic violence if you Google it; if not from Dead's suicide, from the time Euronymous, their next lead singer, was confronted by their bassist Varg Vikernes, and stabbed 37 time in self defense.To Varg's credit, he's hilarious by virtue of living a life that seems so unbelievable like the time French police arrested him for possession of firearms over his airsoft guns or the time he was on weekend release from prison after stabbing euronymous in self defense 37 times and took the opportunity to raid an apparently unguarded national guar depot and "borrow'' several military uniforms, automatic rifles with quite a bit of ammunition, and what I can only find described as "large amounts of high explosives with detonators."

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Varg was and remains, a huge piece of poo poo.

Wikipedia posted:

During his incarceration, Vikernes launched the neo-Nazi Norwegian Heathen Front, had two books published, and released two ambient albums as Burzum. While in prison, Vikernes also started a blog which, in the words of a Rolling Stone writer, "endorsed neo-Nazi views and contains rants against Muslims and Jews". Vikernes openly embraced Nazism throughout the 1990s; he has since expressed his rejection of the ideology and its associated movements, although his views remain on the far-right.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This is not actually funny but I laughed at your wording re: the "bullying incident" / aggravated assault.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

GWBBQ posted:

Speaking of the air loom, I just found this well done short (trailer?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc1LOPoSE3A

This is pro-click, and the unnerving thing is the couple of commenters that relate to the guy because they have delusions of being gangstalked.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Untrustable posted:

Varg was and remains, a huge piece of poo poo.
Yes, but he's a mostly harmless piece of poo poo because he lives in the woos of northern France, isn't allowed to own anything more dangerous than an airsoft gun, and posts a vlog complaining about things about poo poo like the time the french police raided him just for the hell of it and wouldn't let him put on pants until he was released on bail (charges were later dropped because arrested him for nothing) or his updates on the pen and paper RPG he's creating because he's mad that D&D isn;t racist enoughl

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Hes also a strasserite now, which is the most harmless version of the nazis because their economic policies are too far left for the right wingers and their social policies are too far right for the left. It leaves them in some sort of weird limbo where no one wants to work with them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

GWBBQ posted:

Yes, but he's a mostly harmless piece of poo poo because he lives in the woos of northern France, isn't allowed to own anything more dangerous than an airsoft gun, and posts a vlog complaining about things about poo poo like the time the french police raided him just for the hell of it and wouldn't let him put on pants until he was released on bail (charges were later dropped because arrested him for nothing) or his updates on the pen and paper RPG he's creating because he's mad that D&D isn;t racist enoughl
Lol did this crying fit happen because of, before or after he hoarded guns through his wife?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
"but but but THIS nazi is a GOOD one" lmfao

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Tardcore posted:

Hes also a strasserite now, which is the most harmless version of the nazis because

What a normal thing to post.

gently caress Burzum and all his apologists.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Varg has terminal Morrissey’s Disease - decent, talented musician but an absolute piece of poo poo on literally every other level. I’ll give him this though, he’s at least honest about his terrible, convoluted and purely self serving beliefs and not clouding it under the banner of “apolitical” which is the cowards way out. Own up to your garbage views where hmm, mysteriously you’re on the top of the heap funny that, or gently caress off.

Protip: don’t be a nonwhite man and like metal. It’s not great!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Here's another protip: don't support nazis, don't buy their records.

And don't grade them as better than one another or more honest. All Nazis are scum.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Honestly part of me wishes I could just ignore lovely people being lovely when I like something they produce but "vote with your wallet" was burned into my brain at a young age so I'd like to cast the "don't be a nazi" vote as much as possible

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

blatman posted:

Honestly part of me wishes I could just ignore lovely people being lovely when I like something they produce but "vote with your wallet" was burned into my brain at a young age so I'd like to cast the "don't be a nazi" vote as much as possible

It’s why I’ve never given Varg a dime, thought to be fair, i wonder how much royalties he’s earning in any case, if any. He’d probably self-own his way out of that too.

Voting with your wallet is laudable (I do it with makeup products) but gently caress, is it growing ever harder. Turns out, this is a dead gay miserable world.

For content:

Remember Sea Monkeys?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_von_Braunhut?wprov=sfti1

Spoiler alert: there’s a section on “Racial Views”

Behind the Bastards did a great episode on him and dude was something else all together.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

teen witch posted:

Varg has terminal Morrissey’s Disease

You shut your mouth, how can you say he goes about things the wrong way?*

quote:

At this, Eliza and Ezra rolled together into one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and pulled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it whacked and smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone.

*j/k you're awesome keep posting forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Typing out all those long words has got to take forever with one hand :v: