Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJohnson
Jan 27, 2020

Musharraf posted:

I'm sure that would be funny, but doubtful he has time for silly side projects. I assume maintaining a website the size of SA is (more than) a full-time job.

This is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

kolby posted:

i think this explains the taxes part
How does one end up owing a billion dollars in back taxes? What is this IRS fuckery?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

imagine getting chain probed but it's owing taxes

ArfJohnson
Jan 27, 2020

Musharraf posted:

How does one end up owing a billion dollars in back taxes? What is this IRS fuckery?

By not paying taxes genius.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that's a pretty good point. maybe I should be using a special dedicated credit card with like a $10 max limit for any purchases

You have a card with more than $10 limit? :guillotine:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

Huh, I thought Donald Trump abolished taxes and that's why there's a zillion dollar deficit now

uh no the state of kansas proved that if you lower taxes to zero you can growth your way out of any budget deficit it's science

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
hear me out on this idea: hats, for your avatar

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Inept posted:

They'd have to get a payment processor that can do recurring donations. You don't want to try storing CC info as a regular business, it's a compliance nightmare. That said, I'm not betting on SA being PCI compliant anyway since the entire checkout process is hosted here
We are PCI compliant

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

ArfJohnson posted:

By not paying taxes genius.
I have a hard time imagining Lowtax would willfuly evade taxes. Is it the Trump administration trying to bully the one non-chud site on the internet? I know there are some accounting goons in the business forum, maybe they can help smooth things over with the IRS. Paying 50% tax just ain't right.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

idiotsavant posted:

hear me out on this idea: hats, for your avatar

my avatar has a hat

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Patreons go down all the time. From the moment your patreon spiked to its highest point last year it slowly started to trickle downward. The recent stuff may have exacerbated it but it was going to lower to that point eventually. It's standard marketing, if people aren't being reminded of something they'll slowly just forget it. Coca Cola once stopped advertising their sodas under the belief that everyone already knows about it, and their sales went down a good deal. I would advise to once a year post a red text notice on the forums asking people to support the patreon to help keep the forums up. Leave it up for a month or so and people will probably subscribe to it.

Also like, we don't know what percentage of the drop is from people pissed off about FYAD closing and what is people just pissed off about all the other poo poo. Like I imagine a big chunk of it is people pissed about the poo poo FYAD was doing in the first place, the PPJ stuff like wow I know a bunch of people who left cause of that poo poo and yeah just standard attrition from patreons. Also we don't know what would have happened if after all that mess FYAD was still running. It might have been an even bigger drop in the end.

I feel like nuking everyone in that trans thread and closing FYAD (at least til you can get someone who'll moderate it to be in line with the rest of the forums and not turn a blind eye to poo poo that would never fly in the grey forums cause they're too deep in the culture) is probably one of the better decisions you could have made even if the whole thing was, understandably given all the other poo poo going on, kind of a mess that left no one involved particularly happy.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My avatar could use a hat, gonna get skin cancer up there.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Stupid advice:

Pay yourself a salary from the patreon donations and count yourself as an employee, that way your tax fees are less. But what do I know. I'm just an internet fake streamer.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

VikingSkull posted:

my avatar has a hat

what if your avatar could have another hat.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
make something awful a religion then you wont even have to pay taxes

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also like, we don't know what percentage of the drop is from people pissed off about FYAD closing and what is people just pissed off about all the other poo poo. Like I imagine a big chunk of it is people pissed about the poo poo FYAD was doing in the first place, the PPJ stuff like wow I know a bunch of people who left cause of that poo poo and yeah just standard attrition from patreons. Also we don't know what would have happened if after all that mess FYAD was still running. It might have been an even bigger drop in the end.

I feel like nuking everyone in that trans thread and closing FYAD (at least til you can get someone who'll moderate it to be in line with the rest of the forums and not turn a blind eye to poo poo that would never fly in the grey forums cause they're too deep in the culture) is probably one of the better decisions you could have made even if the whole thing was, understandably given all the other poo poo going on, kind of a mess that left no one involved particularly happy.

Yeah, it's safe to say that maybe 50 people in total cared enough about FYAD on both sides of the conflict, and maybe 5 of them donated to patreon, lol.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

make something awful a religion then you wont even have to pay taxes

Holy crap! listen to this person! (change website name to "Hly Crap" as well).

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Manic Mailman posted:

Stupid advice:

Pay yourself a salary from the patreon donations and count yourself as an employee, that way your tax fees are less. But what do I know. I'm just an internet fake streamer.

it sounds like the irs is going to find a way to garnish the wages until they're square regardless

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Assuming the donation feature on the forums aren't equally full of taxes and fees (no idea at all), maybe a recurring donation option would be better than patreon? No idea if Jeff can make that fly and what the downsides would be, but maybe it improves some things.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Manic Mailman posted:

Stupid advice:

Certainly make it... Lowtax!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Zuckerberg just announced he's gonna stop forcing a specific culture and he's gonna allow free expression because he's losing money so maybe try that

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Goons Are Great posted:

Assuming the donation feature on the forums aren't equally full of taxes and fees (no idea at all), maybe a recurring donation option would be better than patreon? No idea if Jeff can make that fly and what the downsides would be, but maybe it improves some things.
This would be up to the payment processor since we're not gonna store your credit card number, but it'd definitely be awesome. Putting together a tracker like patreon's would go well with it.

Budget version: sign up for recurring donations and get a PM each month reminding you to donate :)

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Musharraf posted:

I haven't had the money to. I know people think I earn hundreds of billions of dollars here, but I really don't, and my soon to be ex-wife spent money on absolute worthless garbage nonstop, which was one of the many reasons why I divorced her. So I got like a shitload of back taxes to pay because of that and medical bills and the fact I had to pull out my entire 401k that I created back in 2002 to pay for poo poo. Then there's child support, insurance, rent, etc etc.

I can honestly assure you, I am not raking in cash here. Back in 2005 or so I was, but now I'm simply raking in massive debt.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This would be up to the payment processor since we're not gonna store your credit card number, but it'd definitely be awesome. Putting together a tracker like patreon's would go well with it.

Budget version: sign up for recurring donations and get a PM each month reminding you to donate :)

Ah, that makes sense. I'd be super down for that either way, just make a monthly pm with mostly random content that reminds you and acts like it's Lowtax himself pming you about random stuff, so we can advertise the feature via "A private talk with the webmaster" banner ad.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fortunately most tomato sauces go well with debt, maybe add some basil too. :yum:

E:vvvvv-
There you go, bear it with pride my friend.

EE: Damm someone overwritten the one I bought you!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 2, 2020

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Help lowtax and give me an av. Thanks.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

you just got four separate avs and didnt deserve any of them, buy it yourself you cheap rear end in a top hat

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Piggy Smalls posted:

lmao

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Piggy Smalls posted:

haha

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Piggy Smalls posted:

Nice!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I think it would make more sense to have a new user tier with more privileges and sell that at a yearly rate, like $20/year to be able to change your avatar once per month. I'd probably sign up for that instead of paying $5 if I wanted a new avatar.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Piggy Smalls posted:

Do the honourable thing and buy someone else avatars. :colbert:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Try to do something new that you actually want to do with the forums, whatever that might be, give things some direction and dont get instantly discouraged when you get pushback. People hate change but things have stagnated for a long time and the only excitement right now comes from the endless drama.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
donald trump as an avatar apparently makes people spend money so bring back that newbie av

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

I think it would make more sense to have a new user tier with more privileges and sell that at a yearly rate, like $20/year to be able to change your avatar once per month. I'd probably sign up for that instead of paying $5 if I wanted a new avatar.

Start selling the ability to change the platinum symbol, avatar size upgrades, maybe sell the ability to change the font of your user name, etc.

There's tons of ways to add income with out changing much.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

rear end cobra posted:

Try to do something new that you actually want to do with the forums, whatever that might be, give things some direction and dont get instantly discouraged when you get pushback. People hate change but things have stagnated for a long time and the only excitement right now comes from the endless drama.

This would be nice

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
so to sum it all up:

- some kf rabblerouser makes a thread about the gfm
- mods close and gas the thread, putting an end to this drama oh wait nm no because
- lowtax goes out of his way to make a new thread about it
- lowtax asks people in the thread he went out of his way to make about his private life why they're so obsessed about his private life
- numerous people tell lowtax that maybe he shouldn't be posting so much about his private life, lowtax says it's all cool reveals the reason for doing this is that He's Not Mad, He's Laughing
- patreon goes down as people reading through this thread, which again was deliberately recreated after the initial one was closed and gassed, decide they don't want to give lowtax money and pull donations

it's a shame there was absolutely no conceivable way to avoid any of this whatsoever! "Guess the lesson to be learned is to just stay the gently caress away from the forums and not do anything or say anything unless I want to go broke", yes literally, if you don't want your personal poo poo to bite you in the rear end then keep it personal, which is clearly a lesson you still haven't learned because you're still posting details about your divorce like "women be shopping" in your thread that you still keep open because it's apparently $4000 worth of fun to you

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
hell yeah my posting continues to earn forums revenue

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
the only way to get out of the red is to forums raid ebaumsworld and steel their loot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You forgot the last bullet point, where you have a weird rant in this thread