Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Let's be real here, being in a foyt car is basically admitting your career is over

You mean like Taku?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kirkwood moving up to Lights with Andretti. Probably the most "sure thing" driver to come through the ladder in a while, and wouldn't surprise me at all if hes in IndyCar next year. In his last 69 races across 4 series, he has won 45 of them, and been on the podium 12 additional times...

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

Kirkwood moving up to Lights with Andretti. Probably the most "sure thing" driver to come through the ladder in a while, and wouldn't surprise me at all if hes in IndyCar next year. In his last 69 races across 4 series, he has won 45 of them, and been on the podium 12 additional times...

Any driver coming up into Lights is going to be a beast. Both USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 have had car counts in the low and mid 20s for some years now. If you're the champ in that meat grinder, watch the gently caress out.

This year it looks like there will be 11 cars in Lights? Better than last year, at least.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Why/How does Dalton Kellett qualify for an Indycar seat. Has he even won anything in Lights?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Frond posted:

Why/How does Dalton Kellett qualify for an Indycar seat. Has he even won anything in Lights?

oh honey

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yeah I know he has money but I thought the rules were tightened after the Dracone/Rocky Moran Jr. fiasco in early 2015.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

In his last 69 races across 4 series, he has won 45 of them, and been on the podium 12 additional times...

nice

Frond posted:

Yeah I know he has money but I thought the rules were tightened after the Dracone/Rocky Moran Jr. fiasco in early 2015.

money, it uh, it finds a way

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
his name is Dalton, he was basically born to ride money to middling results

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I thought he'd be bigger.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1222276821527539717

He's back!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And after all that, in a Honda.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

No wonder he didn't win in 2017. He thought it was a test and lost his propeller.

What a translation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

TK gets a five-race oval deal, after which, he's retiring.

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1222910306827063296

e- From quasi-full-time competition, but not entirely from racing:
https://twitter.com/TonyKanaan/status/1222912856552767489

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 30, 2020

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/followandretti/status/1222974702261559296?s=21

:smith:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
RIP.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:smith:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkPIUXeJNL8&t=10092s

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gently caress cancer :smith:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/SethSharp35/status/1223261715346993152

I wouldn't have expected this, but interesting, nonetheless.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://racer.com/2020/02/02/honda-vetoes-alonso-andretti-indy-500-deal/

:eyepop:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

honda mad

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

honda mad

LMAO no poo poo.

Clearly the ghost of Soichiro still roams the halls, reminding Honda Japan about the time they built a CVCC Impala just to tell GM "gently caress you".

That does open up one hell of a May ride though.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

quote:

Alonso was also in talks to remain with the team after Indy and participate at some of the road course races on the IndyCar schedule.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The (US) Honda high-ups I was talking to at Daytona did not seem inclined to forgive or forget.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
gp2 deal

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

The (US) Honda high-ups I was talking to at Daytona did not seem inclined to forgive or forget.

Did he do something behind the scenes we're not privy to? Seems like an awfully over the top meltdown in response to a single angry radio message. Especially considering they did, in fact, produce a GP2 engine.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Like did Andretti not check with HPD? Or did HPD five him the go ahead without checking with Honda Japan? Just seems to be a recent trend with teams not checking with higher ups before doing something like with Hinch’s ESPN shoot.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I don’t care.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gret posted:

Like did Andretti not check with HPD? Or did HPD five him the go ahead without checking with Honda Japan? Just seems to be a recent trend with teams not checking with higher ups before doing something like with Hinch’s ESPN shoot.

It sounds like HPD was on board, but phoned the mothership knowing how mad Honda JP was/is about the whole situation. Normally, Honda JP does not get involved with the racing programs US Honda wants to fund on their own, but this is obviously still a touchy deal.

I'm getting tired of the drama, but still think the series would be better for having him around.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
It probably doesn't help that he raced Dakar in a Toyota weeks ago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Damnit, I would've liked to have seen TK in that car if they're not going to put Alonso in it...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

Did he do something behind the scenes we're not privy to? Seems like an awfully over the top meltdown in response to a single angry radio message. Especially considering they did, in fact, produce a GP2 engine.

Throughout his career he’s played team politics and burned bridges, which is why he doesn’t have the five or six WDCs he was capable of. Badmouthing your engine supplier that publicly would have been bad even if it wasn’t a Japanese company. The fact that it was makes it even worse.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Throughout his career he’s played team politics and burned bridges, which is why he doesn’t have the five or six WDCs he was capable of. Badmouthing your engine supplier that publicly would have been bad even if it wasn’t a Japanese company. The fact that it was makes it even worse.

He got mad that the engine sucked rear end (which it did) and said "GP2 engine!" on the radio. A racing driver complains about his car that way in literally every single race. If that's it then it shouldn't be an issue in the slightest. Red Bull spent the better part of five years openly making GBS threads on Renault at every opportunity (to the point where they had to rebadge the engine to keep them apart) and Honda didn't have a problem doing business with them. So either Alonso was extra petty behind the scenes (which is absolutely possible! that's what he does) or else Honda are the pettiest lil babies on the entire planet.

Ron Dennis is the pettiest, bitchiest man in the history of motorsport and he forgave Alonso for ratting out the entire team to the FIA. Honda gotta get over it.

wicka fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 3, 2020

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Would it be too late at this point for Andretti to switch its engine lease to Chevrolet for the year?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

Would it be too late at this point for Andretti to switch its engine lease to Chevrolet for the year?

Almost certainly, and I don't think anyone involved other than Alonso would want that to happen.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

:eyepop:

If this opens the door for someone like Munoz or Hinch to jump back in an Andretti for the 500 plus a few extra races and get themselves a second chance to run in top equipment again I'll be pretty happy. I'd also like for Alonso to be forced to redeem himself with McLaren SP rather than pop back in at the top.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Only thing I can think of is make it a satellite team like Steinbrenner team was and have everything similar to the AA cars but with a Chevy engine. Highly doubtful that could be pulled off. Though Hinch can take that seat now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If this opens up a seat for Munoz then Alonso can be fired into the sun for all I care