Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I played it before it was cool and I only use artisan indie gluten-free figures, you probably never even heard of them :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Luebbi posted:

I haven't played for a couple of months, and feel like taking my Tyranids out for a spin. With additions in Psychic Awakenings and point changes in Codex Approved, is there anywhere to parse all the information from different sources in one place? Like a fanmade page of all the Stratagems, for example.

The 4chan tactics page is still probably one of the more useful pages for this, terrible “jokes” and commentary aside. Thankfully there’s not too much content for you to remember once you’ve determined how you want to use things, unless you want to reference the name generator.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

goose willis posted:

I played it before it was cool and I only use artisan indie gluten-free figures, you probably never even heard of them :smug:

I hope they are also free range and organic >:-(

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I personally like the focus of 1d4chan more than Goonhammer because it's not focused so much on competitive play but I vastly prefer the writing style of Goonhammer so I read both but I wish there was an intermediate for people that play more casually over beer and Smashing Pumpkins while still wanting to be informed and not have to read endless rape jokes

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Moola posted:

Bro these minis shop at Whole Foods

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Luebbi posted:

I haven't played for a couple of months, and feel like taking my Tyranids out for a spin. With additions in Psychic Awakenings and point changes in Codex Approved, is there anywhere to parse all the information from different sources in one place? Like a fanmade page of all the Stratagems, for example.

*cough cough*

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-tyranid-tactics/

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

goose willis posted:

I personally like the focus of 1d4chan more than Goonhammer because it's not focused so much on competitive play but I vastly prefer the writing style of Goonhammer so I read both but I wish there was an intermediate for people that play more casually over beer and Smashing Pumpkins while still wanting to be informed and not have to read endless rape jokes

The discussion of the new rules on Goonhammer is vastly superior, it just doesn’t collect the whole faction rule set in a single spot.

Actually, let me go ask about that so I never have to suggest 1d4chan again.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'd like to see a wiki format strategy site where you can look up individual units and have their tactics and an auto generated statistical analysis of them (I can help with writing code for that, I'm a programmer, let me know)

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I just wish the goonhammer articles would talk about everything in whatever codex/rulebook they are going over. Almost every article I have read has multiple parts where it just says "These units/rules are trash and we're not going to talk about them". Sometimes it's nice to know why the thing is bad, where right now it just comes across as the author's opinion most of the time. 1d4 does this, but it also hypes up objectively bad units with edge cases where they're good, so there is a definitely a balance to be struck.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It's a free website

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's a free website

What a great way to handle constructive criticism!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

check ur hobby privilege, m8

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I played against Iron Hands for the first time since the supplement dropped.

Holy hell it was not fun.

1500 pts, his list was:
Captain
Chaplain
Leviathan w/ storm cannons
2x Mortis Contemptors w/ autocannons
3x invictors w/ autocannons
3x min units of Stalker Intercessors

I was running a Sisters list with primarily infantry with 1 Immolator and 2 Repressors.

Between the obscenely consistent shooting and poo poo like the Leviathan having the -1 to wound relic I couldn't get any traction. I only ended up taking out 1 unit of Intercessors and 1 invictors.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

check ur hobby privilege, m8

Check my balls!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

Check my balls!

I'm afraid... you have posting cancer, sir

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

x-post from the painting thread

Hixson posted:

I broke my months long painting slump with these:

They're going to be used as scatter terrain on Zone Mortalis board so i wanted them to be suitably weathered

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm afraid... you have posting cancer, sir

:(

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Hixson posted:

x-post from the painting thread

These are fantastic. What's the base green/yellow?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/02/new-tau-new-titans-and-more/

So we're finally getting Revolver Ocelot Kelermorph as a stand alone model. As well as a new GSC start collecting box.
I almost want one just so I can slap a tiny 28mm sized Cowboy Hat on top of his bare noggin.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cooked Auto posted:

So we're finally getting Revolver Ocelot Kelermorph as a stand alone model. As well as a new GSC start collecting box.
I almost want one just so I can slap a tiny 28mm sized Cowboy Hat on top of his bare noggin.

I am absolutely getting one to do just that and encourage everyone to do the same.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

These are fantastic. What's the base green/yellow?

Thanks man.

It’s a black-grey-white preshade with a Vallejo sand yellow basecoat with Vallejo ochre yellow over the top.

Yellow over black tends to go a little green, so I hit the shadows with sepia wash through the airbrush.

Tbh I was going for a more construction yellow color; but ended up with this.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Hixson posted:

Thanks man.

It’s a black-grey-white preshade with a Vallejo sand yellow basecoat with Vallejo ochre yellow over the top.

Yellow over black tends to go a little green, so I hit the shadows with sepia wash through the airbrush.

Tbh I was going for a more construction yellow color; but ended up with this.

Construction yellow is cool, but there'd be a lot of those. These look like really old rail yard equipment.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Arven posted:

I just wish the goonhammer articles would talk about everything in whatever codex/rulebook they are going over. Almost every article I have read has multiple parts where it just says "These units/rules are trash and we're not going to talk about them". Sometimes it's nice to know why the thing is bad, where right now it just comes across as the author's opinion most of the time. 1d4 does this, but it also hypes up objectively bad units with edge cases where they're good, so there is a definitely a balance to be struck.

We've tried to include at least a little on everything, but for some units or strats or whatever there's just really not much to say. We are also going back through the Start Competing stuff to add in things like PA updates or any CA19 changes that matter, but it's slow going.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

I picked a good time to build a Tau army.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the GSC SC box a good start?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

Is the GSC SC box a good start?

Absolutely. Both the troop choices are good and Ridgerunners are popular since their point cut in Chapter Approved. Honestly aside from the Iconward you could do well with multiple boxes.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Even the Iconward you could sub the banner out with a parts from the Acolyte box for some variation.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

SteelMentor posted:

Even the Iconward you could sub the banner out with a parts from the Acolyte box for some variation.

Yeah worst case you have another Iconward, maybe just making it into another Acolyte like you mentioned. At least from my experience you end up swimming with the things. You’ll usually want at least one for every Cult type and they’re decent cheap HQ fillers.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

Cooked Auto posted:

The Imperial Guard in that picture on there have the same markings as the Tau they are fighting alongside (excluding the Bullgryns and Command Squad facing the wrong way). I know I'm reading into this altogether too much but hope this signals Gue'vesa rules in Psychic Awakening.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Smegbot posted:

The Imperial Guard in that picture on there have the same markings as the Tau they are fighting alongside (excluding the Bullgryns and Command Squad facing the wrong way). I know I'm reading into this altogether too much but hope this signals Gue'vesa rules in Psychic Awakening.

Too bad buddy, that's a variant on the Studio's Cadian scheme that's been around a good few editions now.

Also if you look a bunch of the Guard in the back are turning to fire at the T'au, it's three way brawl with the T'au flanking.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Smegbot posted:

I thought this too at first but if you look at how they are all positioned I think they've put them in a three way fight.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Corrode posted:

We've tried to include at least a little on everything, but for some units or strats or whatever there's just really not much to say. We are also going back through the Start Competing stuff to add in things like PA updates or any CA19 changes that matter, but it's slow going.

You guys are doing a great job, I'm sure the longer the site is around the more fleshed out everything will be.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Smegbot posted:

Nah it's just the white symbol on the studio theme it's not tauish at all, guevesa rules would be awesome though.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
That GSC box is terrible. Ridge runner is bad, the iconward is the easiest conversion on the planet and you’re gonna need a poo poo ton more acolytes (and/or neophytes). They could have put a primus or magos in there or something ffs. At least they didn’t put aberrants in I guess, count your blessings new GSC players.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I know about actual invisible plastic bases, I was just responding to a suggestion for grabbing some basing materials after stating that I preferred blank, single-colored bases lol

I still prefer the actual solid base, just sparingly or not based at all. Just one clean color works for me. I don't mind if someone goes all in on their basing but I'd prefer not to slap bright green grass or beach sand all over my bases when I could be playing in a bombed out city one week or an ancient ruin the next.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I know about actual invisible plastic bases, I was just responding to a suggestion for grabbing some basing materials after stating that I preferred blank, single-colored bases lol

I still prefer the actual solid base, just sparingly or not based at all. Just one clean color works for me. I don't mind if someone goes all in on their basing but I'd prefer not to slap bright green grass or beach sand all over my bases when I could be playing in a bombed out city one week or an ancient ruin the next.

Gimme magnetised gaming tables and magnetised models.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

man if I had a million dollars I would do a ton of dumb poo poo like that. My board would have LEDs and smoke machines and water fountains and and and

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

man if I had a million dollars I would do a ton of dumb poo poo like that. My board would have

John Merrick's remains?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'll paint my minis but I ain't basing those motherfuckers

(I like the plain, solid-color bases because it makes it easier for me to imagine the little dudes running across whatever terrain they're fighting on today)

the only thing I personally have against unpainted minis is that it can be hard to tell at a glance what something is, but the same is true with someone painting everything the same 2 colors I guess.

Same.

I imagine the black bases are drop shadows. Cool bases are cool but then if you're playing on a sand field with snow bases....

Most of the thread isn't with me on this, but that's how I like it. Plain bases.

Totally not because I'm lazy ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Same.

I imagine the black bases are drop shadows. Cool bases are cool but then if you're playing on a sand field with snow bases....

Most of the thread isn't with me on this, but that's how I like it. Plain bases.

Totally not because I'm lazy ;)

Just do clear bases then they usually look pretty sharp on a good table.