Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Correction, it's better for your pawn to have high maelstrom because no one needs healing if everything is dead. And the things that aren't dead are being ragdolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Mages don't get Maelstrom.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I got killed by those human ice wizard dudes around the main hub city than anything else in the game, probably. Unless I'm misremembering - it's been a while since I played.

edit: I'm not counting anything at Bitterback Isle.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Feb 2, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Olive! posted:

Mages don't get Maelstrom.

That's why you don't use mages.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Enjoying my time replaying Rise of the Tomb Raider...it (mostly) does well at one of the most important things of all, giving you cool outfits and then making sure you're still wearing them in the interstitials and Big Serious Cutscenes.

They do the Apocalypse Now rising from the water bit in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it looks cool as hell if you're wearing the skull hat.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I've been playing Journey to the Savage Planet, and it's a pretty fun first person shooter/exploration game that feels like a much sillier Metroid Prime.

My favourite little thing so far? The first thing you're asked to do is when you start is log into a computer and fill out a questionnaire.
Said questionnaire is just one question, it asks you to pick a picture of yourself from a selection of goony looking men and women, and a cute dog.

I, like many players selected the picture of the adorable doggo, and at first it seems like a meaningless silly choice that has no effect.

At first.

While your character doesn't speak, they do make various video game grunts and yells while things happen, and the picture you picked determines your voice, if you picked a man you have a male voice, if you picked a woman you get a female voice and, well you all see where this is going, right?

That's right me and several other players are going through the game as a space adventurer who growls, pants and yelps.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Pulsarcat posted:

That's right me and several other players are going through the game as a space adventurer who growls, pants and yelps.

In space, no-one knows you're a dog

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Another fun little thing from Savage Planet.

This game, like some others, justifies why you can die multiple times by having you emerge from a cloning pod each time you die.
But what's really fun is you can go back and find your corpse, if you scan it your computer helper mentions you probably shouldn't think about this too hard, and you are given the option to press E to "Shamefully bury your own corpse".

If you do this a holographic tombstone pops up with a number on it letting you know which number death it was.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Another fun detail about Dragon's Dogma is that once you figured out how the pawn AI worked, you could do some really weird stuff with them. Like, you think "Oh, if I give my pawn buff spells they'll put the buffs on me" is a good idea, but it's not. Because then they'll buff your weapon, then re-buff it, and re-buff it again. And god help you if you're fighting an enemy weak to water and lightning, because then you'll get fire, then lightning, then fire again, repeated forever. You get similar problems with healing, the arisen trips over a rock and all of your pawns stumble over one another to heal you, and if there's combat they'll drop everything to heal every scratch, even as a goblin punches them in the jaw and makes them repeat the cast.

But pawns are really, really, good at simple tasks. You tell a pawn to grab a man, and boy howdy that pawn will make grabbing every goblin its life goal, they will tackle wolves off cliffs and go down to their briny death with the foe, or jump like star athletes just to drag harpies screeching into melee range for you. They also learn elemental weaknesses very well, and frankly I can not be assed to ever remember what's weak to what. So I always make my pawns wizards and sorcerers, that way the instant we fight something weak to ice, a second or two later ice explodes and it dies.

Whats funny is dragdog has a big fancy complex setup for how pawns work, and supposedly they are supposed to learn from you but its a janky mess and some of the behaviours are completely useless and makes pawns incredibly stupid. Guardian in particular is a common one where pawns will try to stay close to you, and if it gets too high they will abort attacks just to move close to you again.

However whats fun is once you know what does what you can use tonics to change the inclinatons and suddenly the pawn is one of the most capable ai teammates you can ever have in a game and you can even check the inclinations of other peoples pawns on the last stat page. Melee always want scather because its a focus on melee combat against big foes, mages want mitigator for aoe attacks against smaller foes, and mages and archer can use challenger to focus on ranged attacks, but the kind of inclinations is utilitarian.

Utilitarian makes it so that pawns rather than just picking a preferred combat style, check the knowledge that they learned about that enemy type and then use whatever works best on them, every single time. By level 50 they usually know enough that this is always the best option and i always look for this when taking a pawn because a team of 3 decently geared utilitarian pawns can just do entire fights for you, though it may take a bit.

You can also just make them incredibly greedy with Aquisitor to the extent that they will stop combat to pick something up and actually make a snarky remark about it and that's just fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Making a gathering pawn is fun because if you're skilled enough at the combat aspect, you become a wandering hero with a little buddy cleaning up behind you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for my second dragon's dogma playthrough i made a little old lady mage pawn. in the dlc dungeons was a very powerful knight monster. the pawn cast a Tornado spell, which turned the entire room into an impenetrable maelstrom of black wind. i could hear the rhythmic clink-clink-clink sound as the knight constantly blocked the spell, but when the wind dissipated, the knight was gone

i wondered what the hell just happened, and a second later the knight smashed back down to earth and died instantly

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Tbh the thing I'm enjoying the most about dragon's dogma so far is just moving through the world. The controls and movement just feel really nice and smooth, and now I've started to get the hang of the combat it's very satisfying. I also really appreciate that there's one button to nock your bow and another to shoot; it's a much better way of handling bows than using one button to nock and release and another to cancel out. Feels more accurate to actually using a bow, for reasons I can't really put my finger on. It's genuinely fun to play in a way a lot of games just aren't.

Part of what put me off getting it for so long was the pawn system; I didn't really get the point. But now I'm playing it, it's actually really well done and a very natural way to encourage the player to try out different party compositions and playstyles instead of just chucking combat roadblocks at you like a lot of games do. Also the degree to which the pawns are self aware about their weird existence makes me smile.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

The best fake ending is Kid Icarus: Uprising, because it seems like the actual ending to a kind of short launch title where the replay value comes from scouring for unlockables and random drops and upping the difficulty.

But nope! The real main bad tears down the credits. You’re only 2/5 of the way through.

And then, a few levels later, it starts to get really crazy.

This is still my favorite 3DS game. It's so good. At one point your character sings along with the music playing in the background.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More Rise of the Tomb Raider fun, the poison arrows are probably the most powerful/fun weapon I mostly ignored in my first playthrough. Area of effect that can easily take out 2-3 enemies if you plan well, and I guess the gas is invisible in-game because they're weirdly nonreactive to their comrades choking to death if they're more than a few feet away. It's fun and often pretty easy to take out a whole outpost with just a few shots before they're even fully aware of being under attack :madmax:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

small ghost posted:

Tbh the thing I'm enjoying the most about dragon's dogma so far is just moving through the world. The controls and movement just feel really nice and smooth, and now I've started to get the hang of the combat it's very satisfying. I also really appreciate that there's one button to nock your bow and another to shoot; it's a much better way of handling bows than using one button to nock and release and another to cancel out. Feels more accurate to actually using a bow, for reasons I can't really put my finger on. It's genuinely fun to play in a way a lot of games just aren't.

Part of what put me off getting it for so long was the pawn system; I didn't really get the point. But now I'm playing it, it's actually really well done and a very natural way to encourage the player to try out different party compositions and playstyles instead of just chucking combat roadblocks at you like a lot of games do. Also the degree to which the pawns are self aware about their weird existence makes me smile.

Being able to freely swap your, and your pawn's, class is a really good thing too. Some people worry too much about the min/maxing but it doesn't matter too much in the long run unless like, you spend literally the whole game playing nothing but fighter, warrior and then at max level swap to sorcerer and wonder why you do poor magic damage. But with how levels work, you can quite literally build your characters to suit whatever endgame plan you want and match the playstyles that you like best. My only real issue is that by the time you unlock the advanced classes, sometimes your build might be a bit set in and since they're really cool and fun hybrids - sometimes you can't maximize their potential. But that's hardly a huge problem when you're being awesome and murdering dragons by setting yourself on fire and tackling them in a bear hug.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Mystic knight from Dragons Dogma will forever be my favourite class from any game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Next time I play it I’m using the mod that lets you use a full set of 2 handed moves

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Carcer posted:

Mystic knight from Dragons Dogma will forever be my favourite class from any game.

Nothing has ever felt quite like beating the poo poo out of a glyph and watching a macross missile massacre of laser orbs just evaporate a dragon

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain Hygiene posted:

More Rise of the Tomb Raider fun, the poison arrows are probably the most powerful/fun weapon I mostly ignored in my first playthrough. Area of effect that can easily take out 2-3 enemies if you plan well, and I guess the gas is invisible in-game because they're weirdly nonreactive to their comrades choking to death if they're more than a few feet away. It's fun and often pretty easy to take out a whole outpost with just a few shots before they're even fully aware of being under attack :madmax:

They’re also essential to surviving against bears in the very fun, very addictive Endurance Mode DLC (no I will never shut up about this!).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pulsarcat posted:

Another fun little thing from Savage Planet.

This game, like some others, justifies why you can die multiple times by having you emerge from a cloning pod each time you die.
But what's really fun is you can go back and find your corpse, if you scan it your computer helper mentions you probably shouldn't think about this too hard, and you are given the option to press E to "Shamefully bury your own corpse".

If you do this a holographic tombstone pops up with a number on it letting you know which number death it was.

I never knew this! I keep dying in ways that I can't reach my corpse.

My favorite thing so far was finding a secret jumping puzzle in an area that introduces these gopher like enemies that poke their head out and throw stuff at you. Just one will deal chip damage, and at this point you have a lot of health. At the end of the jumping puzzle there were two collectibles to get, with one at the very back of the room.

And a firing squad of gophers. :stare:

I managed to collect both, but once I saw how many there were I basically said "wait, poo poo that's a lot--" and promptly died to 20 rocks pummeling my dogman body. Luckily my inventory was placed above the secret since it was in a cave, so it was easy to recover.

I will not be back to dig a grave

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

In Shadow of the Tomb Raider you get hallucinatory arrows that makes enemies take out each other without ever realizing that they're under attack.

In one side mission you also get to reenact Brotherhood of the Wolf:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

In Shadow of the Tomb Raider you get hallucinatory arrows that makes enemies take out each other without ever realizing that they're under attack.

In one side mission you also get to reenact Brotherhood of the Wolf:

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about all that. I'm having more than enough fun to continue on to repay Shadow, I'm gonna make an effort to focus more on those crafted weapons too.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

exquisite tea posted:

They’re also essential to surviving against bears in the very fun, very addictive Endurance Mode DLC (no I will never shut up about this!).

I didn't remember this so I just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting actually. So it's Lara being dropped off in random maps, with hunger, cold, and permadeath, and you have to survive and find artifacts, that sounds really cool actually. Is there a day and night cycle? I like hunger and cold mechanics if they're well-implemented, it gives more value to your looting, exploration and risk assessment, especially if you can perma-die. Do you have her full toolkit and move set from the campaign? I read part of a review and the guy mentioned he considers it a better game than the base version of tomb raider, in that it's plotless and just a typical day of Lara kicking rear end, unconstrained by hamfisted character development and ancillary characters, and the hunter-gatherer survivalist aspect is far more explored. Honestly sounds pretty cool.

So I'm playing God of War 2018, and the whole game your AI companion is Kratos' son, Atreus. I like that in the games puzzles he doesn't give you hints or anything, usually he just stays quite, and then says "ohhhhh" or something when you solve it. In a lot of games otherwise likeable characters become really annoying when they start repeating the same puzzle hint over and over, it's well-handled here. In fact one puzzle he kept saying was too hard and he was bored, and kratos keeps telling him to be quite he's thinking.

I'm playing through on the hardest difficulty and I got really hung up on an early encounter, I died a massive number of times. I kept trying to block and parry and dodge and do light hits, but I'd just get swarmed or they would regen health if I didn't press them, I was getting pretty frustrated. You only get 2-4 hits until death and early on your only healing is picking up limited healing tokens in the level, and enemies were taking dozens of hits per guy to kill them, it's pretty strict. Then I discovered the ultimate god of war fighting style: Running away like a little bitch and throwing your magically-returning axe at them over and over for safe chip damage. Now I'm several bosses deep and having a great time!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It will never not bother me that Cutscene Kratos can get mad enough to pick up a small mountain and use it as a weapon, whereas Game Kratos can die to small enemies in a few hits.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
What makes you think the small enemies can't use a small mountain as a weapon, too?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

It will never not bother me that Cutscene Kratos can get mad enough to pick up a small mountain and use it as a weapon, whereas Game Kratos can die to small enemies in a few hits.

Lifting heavy objects is a very different skill than not dying from stab wounds.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Lifting heavy objects is a very different skill than not dying from stab wounds.

True, but I feel like if I was Kratos, I'd just be grabbing the nearest building or whatever any time a random mook showed up, just in case.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

True, but I feel like if I was Kratos, I'd just be grabbing the nearest building or whatever any time a random mook showed up, just in case.

Fair. No mythical hero should miss an opportunity to flex on some dudes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

To be fair it seems to be a pretty significant strain on him to do so.

Also a building is far less stylish than a magic throwing axe that returns to your hand.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

My single favorite God of War moment is when you clear that temple on Cronus' back and push Pandora's Box out, Kratos looks all triumphant and is getting ready to go murder a god to satisfy his lust for revenge; then Ares just throws a tree from halfway across the country and snipes him to death.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And then he winds up in hell and fights his way out and up and climbs out of his own grave that was dug way back in the beginning of the game, which was so incredibly badass at the time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's all a metaphor for the "gently caress you's" and living hell that is fatherhood :kratos:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm still pissed that the gravedigger in God of War 1 turned out to be Zeus and not Hades even though that makes more sense!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Crowetron posted:

I'm still pissed that the gravedigger in God of War 1 turned out to be Zeus and not Hades even though that makes more sense!

Hey man Hades is the gravekeeper, not the gravedigger.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hi I agree with you a lot. He can beat a majority of the enemies to death with his bare hands if you want so I don't see why I can't just hurl them into a mountain like Senator Armstrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRT-ndlz1f0&t=362s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was badass at the time but in the later games hell turns into more of a penalty box that he can come and go from as he pleases which takes away a lot of the impact

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

haveblue posted:

It was badass at the time but in the later games hell turns into more of a penalty box that he can come and go from as he pleases which takes away a lot of the impact

Its funny to think that if you take the series chronologically, God of War 1 was like the third time he'd been to Hades. Its practically his daily commute.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing a fun but difficult platformer on the switch called The Forbidden Arts and really like the level design, because each level is long and hard but with many checkpoints and a variety of challenges. I'm currently having trouble with the second major boss, but the first boss was interesting to figure out too. I just need to get the hang of how the second boss fights.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:stare:
I keep thinking I should probably try out this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Was God of War the game that started the trend of giving every hack ‘n slash protagonist sudden context-sensitive bouts of Hercules strength?