Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

I know this might wind up being a controversial opinion, but it matches my experience that developers who truly enjoy coding will enjoy the satisfaction that comes with writing efficient, elegant, optimized code whether it's in a video game or some unknown backend credit card service. Even if they're video game fans. "The dream" of working on video games is something of an illusion, unless your passion exceed normal safety levels. A satisfaction of a job well done writing good code for a small company and getting recognized and appreciated for your work is far better than working endless crunch so nerds can bitch about the end result on Youtube.

This is exactly what we do and to be honest, it's just as satisfying as writing game poo poo. We even have a dev who makes indie games in his spare time. He gets far more satisfaction from the "boring" work. Solid code is its own reward.

Seen a few of these. Boring devs by day, by night writing mods and TCs for other games. Knew one dev who was a Freespace modder in his spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Elderbean posted:

Wasn't it Journey to the Center of the Earth where the VFX team wasn't paid at all?

Journey to the Center of the Earth scored US$20.6 million at the box office in its opening weekend in North America, yet dozens who worked on its special effects at Montreal’s Meteor Studios have yet to be paid in full for their handiwork, according to Meteor’s bankruptcy filing document obtained by Playback.

https://playbackonline.ca/2008/07/21/meteor-20080721/

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bronze Fonz posted:

Journey to the Center of the Earth scored US$20.6 million at the box office in its opening weekend in North America, yet dozens who worked on its special effects at Montreal’s Meteor Studios have yet to be paid in full for their handiwork, according to Meteor’s bankruptcy filing document obtained by Playback.

https://playbackonline.ca/2008/07/21/meteor-20080721/

Hollywood accounting.

Hmm... reminds me of a game being devleoped.... some sort of space game.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Leave it to Roberts to fuckup mooning with actually needing clothes.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i watched an interesting video about crunch in the VFX industry recently. If anything, it appears to be even worse than for code monkeys.

* The company is usually paid a flat fee
* The producers go back and ask for changes however many times as they like, and its your problem if you go over your budget
* Since the company has no more money, the artists are expected to work unpaid overtime, repeatedly
* If you complain you get blacklisted as well as flat out removed from the credits.
* Because the companies are always chasing tax credits, the next job might be in Vancouver, or England, or whatever random place. So you go away from your family and friends for months at a time, living out of a hotel room or lovely rental.
* The VFX companies go bankrupt ALL THE TIME
* if you do a really good job all the credit usually goes to the director, producers, and actors.

The VFX industry is way worse than code monkeys. Why? Because at least code monkeys, usually, are valued. Even if you lose your job, you can usually pick another one up in almost any industry.

VFX artists, since they're artists, are almost always underpaid, and since they're artists they're also almost always undervalued ("my niece is an artist at school, what you do can't be that hard") and guess what? If you lose the job then you're stuck in the same two or three fields, with the same lovely work conditions. :\

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Agony Aunt posted:

It makes you think maybe CR, which his experience from decades ago, also thought this, and thought, i can make it work, and then fell into the same trap as many other game dev shops, with the additional hinderance of his own massive ego and demands for fidelity. He thinks if he pushes harder and harder he will get better results... and then can't undertstand it why it all turns to poo poo. And this is why he is spending 16 hours a day rewriting the physics engine.

And all of this while also designing moon clothes. This man really is a genius.

btw., is there some list of most of the lies told by Sandi, Ben and co. about Chris programming? I remember Sandi saying poo poo like "he coded until early in the morning for that demo" or something along those lines. Ben said something similar. Also, when did they drop the narrative that Chris is doing actual coding on the project?
I'm really itching to build a simple fact vs. fiction website about this project, there are too many hilarious tidbits that got lost because of the sheer amount.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ggangensis posted:

btw., is there some list of most of the lies told by Sandi, Ben and co.

Not so much as a list, just an archive :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?RobertsSpaceInd

The next best thing is Bootcha's videos.

The one about Chris staying up till all hours rewriting the physics engine i think came from last year's whale dinner.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ggangensis posted:

btw., is there some list of most of the lies told by Sandi, Ben and co. about Chris programming? I remember Sandi saying poo poo like "he coded until early in the morning for that demo" or something along those lines. Ben said something similar. Also, when did they drop the narrative that Chris is doing actual coding on the project?
I'm really itching to build a simple fact vs. fiction website about this project, there are too many hilarious tidbits that got lost because of the sheer amount.

Sadly probably not. I'm sure it is all out there but when tackling it all one gets burnout. Many here (bless their souls) have tried. Even our ex-Warlord seems to be done mostly documenting the mess. And even then once that tomb of info ever gets published would need an abridged edition. Otherwise it would make "War and Peace" look like a short story.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:viggo: Are you bored of Facebook, Twitter etc? Want to connect with other people and chat about the inevitable consequences of piracy, lust on your mind, and the worst kinds of electricity?

Well now there is a social network for you: Star Citizen Social! :toot:

:sad:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What the hell is that poo poo?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bunch of fat nerds cold messaging gamer girls "show bobs pls" "no?" "fuk u fudster"

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Quavers posted:

:viggo: Are you bored of Facebook, Twitter etc? Want to connect with other people and chat about the inevitable consequences of piracy, lust on your mind, and the worst kinds of electricity?

I'm calling it now, in 5 months there will be five accounts (all vacated). Three strings with last post date of 4 months ago. Most popular thread will be "Anyone found a site that has sex toys we can connect to SC?"

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

ggangensis posted:

just archive every drat YT video they have put out since day 1, don't forget the ks cause thats the 1st lie

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Quavers posted:

Mhm... it doesn't ask for my credit card number on the front page. Are you sure this is legit?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sadly probably not. I'm sure it is all out there but when tackling it all one gets burnout. Many here (bless their souls) have tried. Even our ex-Warlord seems to be done mostly documenting the mess. And even then once that tomb of info ever gets published would need an abridged edition. Otherwise it would make "War and Peace" look like a short story.

Agony Aunt posted:

Not so much as a list, just an archive :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?RobertsSpaceInd

The next best thing is Bootcha's videos.

The one about Chris staying up till all hours rewriting the physics engine i think came from last year's whale dinner.

That's a pity.... the thing is, the narrative changes so often so fast, having some snapshots in time where one could say "2018 - Chris up all day and night rewriting the physics engine" or "2019 - Chris redesigning moon clothes" would be nice. It came to my mind since one of the biggest whales (and possibly paid shill or idiot of biblical proportions) in the Gamestar forum literally wrote a few days before CitCon they will "for sure" show something related to SQ42. Right after that, the narrative changed: They will show it on the holiday stream you dumb gently caress, how could you not know this? Then they showed this laughable trailer and everything is fine again, just as promised by Chris.
I find this kind of open denial and twisting the narrative irritating as well as fascinating, but since there is no real chronicle of all the bullshit told by Chris and CIG, everything blends together in hypnotic trances where often I, myself, don't know what is true anymore. Has Chris rewritten the physics engine? Has Ben played through SQ42 and it's the best game ever? Are egg-physics really the way to go? Is there a secret dev build? Do I want to play Theatres of War? I feel like Colonel Kurtz at times, driven to insanity by a crowdfunded space guru, a code-whisperer wearing black sweaters and clown shoes.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

ggangensis posted:

I find this kind of open denial and twisting the narrative irritating as well as fascinating, but since there is no real chronicle of all the bullshit told by Chris and CIG, everything blends together in hypnotic trances where often I, myself, don't know what is true anymore. Has Chris rewritten the physics engine? Has Ben played through SQ42 and it's the best game ever? Are egg-physics really the way to go? Is there a secret dev build? Do I want to play Theatres of War? I feel like Colonel Kurtz at times, driven to insanity by a crowdfunded space guru, a code-whisperer wearing black sweaters and clown shoes.

If it can help you with that, the answer to all those questions is "No."

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1224022106708402176

:ughh:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I can't think of a more fitting metaphor for Star Citizen than groundhog day.

At this point they're totally taking the piss out of the whales.

It's Whalehog Day.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bronze Fonz posted:

I can't think of a more fitting metaphor for Star Citizen than groundhog day.

At this point they're totally taking the piss out of the whales.

It's Whalehog Day.

Was just about to say this too

They're second only to WWE in terms of companies that completely hate their fanbase and show it openly

marumaru
May 20, 2013

there's no way this isn't self aware
who's the goon working as social at CIG

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Phil the groundhog didn't show his shadow. Patch delayed this year.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Phil the groundhog didn't show his shadow. Patch delayed this year.

Nah, if Ben does see his shadow the patch is delayed.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i watched an interesting video about crunch in the VFX industry recently. If anything, it appears to be even worse than for code monkeys.

* The producers go back and ask for changes however many times as they like, and its your problem if you go over your budget
* Since the company has no more money, the artists are expected to work unpaid overtime, repeatedly
* If you complain you get blacklisted as well as flat out removed from the credits.
* Because the companies are always chasing tax credits, the next job might be in Vancouver, or England, or whatever random place. So you go away from your family and friends for months at a time, living out of a hotel room or lovely rental.
* if you do a really good job all the credit usually goes to the director, producers, and actors.

Watch this as a companion piece. It's an excellent short documentary focusing on the unsustainable business model these companies operate under and how it affects workers while the film studios get even richer.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ggangensis posted:

one of the biggest whales (and possibly paid shill or idiot of biblical proportions) in the Gamestar forum literally wrote a few days before CitCon they will "for sure" show something related to SQ42. Right after that, the narrative changed: They will show it on the holiday stream you dumb gently caress, how could you not know this? Then they showed this laughable trailer and everything is fine again, just as promised by Chris.

This is the way.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

there's no way this isn't self aware
who's the goon working as social at CIG

Sandi, or as we know her, Beet Wagon.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

God that’s awful. I feel like so many industries are going towards similar practices though, at least in the US, it’s like a horrible vision of the future.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Are they trying to get sued by Columbia Pictures too? :wtc:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I think the running theme here is that brutal and soulless capitalism sucks rear end and that the rich deserve to be eaten.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

God that’s awful. I feel like so many industries are going towards similar practices though, at least in the US, it’s like a horrible vision of the future.

I know many artistd who work on VFX companies and most of them, while aware of that bullshit (specially that the company is only there while the tax breaks last), happily defend them.

So yeah, good luck!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's a global race to the bottom.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

trucutru posted:

I know many artistd who work on VFX companies and most of them, while aware of that bullshit (specially that the company is only there while the tax breaks last), happily defend them.

So yeah, good luck!

Because it's not the VFX houses themselves that are what is causing this, it's the way studios have changed how they make movies over the last 30 years.

There are many, many companies that have stayed in one place for *decades* despite there being no favorable tax incentives, and those are usually the houses where you see people staying through thick and thin. There are most assuredly companies that open up branch offices in whatever new tax haven is hot, and some when they do offer fantastic relocation options to staff that want to make the move. Some don't - like any other industry, there are good places to work and not so good places to work, but the overall cause of the industry-wide crisis now is very much a case of studio bottom lines.

And just to be clear, that's something that is hitting *all* departments across the board in the industry. Budgets are constantly getting squeezed down as much as possible while prep and planning are being gutted, oftentimes with scripts not even completed by the time shooting starts. I'm on a project like that right now - the difference is that while that might only affect a dozen stuntment or SFX folks during the shoot (which is still terrible) when it comes to VFX the lives it is impacting can be numbered in the thousands.

Beluga Snail fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 2, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

Have you heard of zero hour contracts?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Agony Aunt posted:

Have you heard of zero hour contracts?

In 2018 I was working on a contract job that initially guaranteed 20 hours for the eight or so months I was to be involved. I think I only spent a few days on the original scope of the contract before basically blowing expectations out of the water and doing Actual Data Migration stuff instead of manually copying stuff out.

My reward halfway through after a brief stretch of full-time work was being taken into a meeting room with the company lawyer and asked to sign a zero-hour amendment to my contract, plus giving assurances I've not retained any company data. And once the contract was over, being sent a marketing email for their investment product where the minimum buy-in was more than what I earned throughout the entire contract, which was my only job that year. :cripes:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
INFINITE MONEY GLITCH

1 Buy Agricium from Loveridge Mineral Reserve.
2 When buying the Agricium from Loveridge Mineral Reserve, there is a chance that you’r cargo will never be placed in your ship. If this happens go to step 3
3 After your cargo have disappeared, wait 4 minutes and you can buy 3x more stock from the same vendor (Loveridge Mineral Reserve) and go to port olisar.
4 Then once at port olisar, sell all your stock and log out for around 4 hours.
5 Once the time has passed, log in again and the cargo that disappeared when you bought cargo the first time, will now be in your ship.
6 Now continuously sell the cargo. The cargo will duplicate itself consistently and you will be able to earn millions within minutes.

ACTUAL RESULT
After selling the cargo once, I saw that I had now even more cargo in my ship (The currently free freelancer) and every time I sold the cargo, I would instantly get more cargo. This resulted in me selling more and more of the same cargo, earning 1.9 million within 2 minutes.

EXPECTED RESULT
I expected the cargo to disappear/removed when I sold it the first time, but it came back every time i sold it, and I would even get more cargo then before.

WORKAROUND
I dont know a work around for this. Not only does this give infinite money, but it also makes cargo impossible to remove from your ship once this happens.
Other then that I would say a wipe is needed. I had 100k that I earned legit, but just after 2 minutes I’m sitting on 2+ million UEC.
Please remove all my money except for 100k which I had gotten legit. I really don’t like things like this, since it destroys progression completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNt0Av20s6s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUICsHpojBg

:suspense:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Wait... did they steal backpacks from Death Stranding?
I know the assets are all "borrowing" heavily from other franchises, when they're not "borrowing" an entire culture from China, but WTF is with the Death Stranding backpack?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

trucutru posted:

Nah, if Ben does see his shadow the patch is delayed.

That's called a solar eclipse.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ggangensis posted:

Here are some more recent bits and pieces.

Welcome to The Magical Stream...

John 'Vehicle Pipeline Director' Crewe - Dec 2019 - Blocker Removed

quote:

[Docking] is a step closer since we fixed the last blocker, which was actually CR's big physics refactor that he's been working on, and is now in the game. So docking is now a lot lot simpler to do, which really helps, as it was lot harder to do before that physics refactor

Mark 'Bugsmasher' Abent - May 2019 - The Magical Stream

quote:

Q: So what technical challenges need to be overcome to bring ship-to-station and ship-to-ship docking to the game?

MA: The magical stream.

Sean Tracy: Which?

MA: CR's magical stream.

ST: Oh the refactor?

MA: Yeah so CR is an amazing programmer [SEAN TRACY'S FACE IS SOMETHING ELSE RIGHT HERE, BUT NOT SURE IF RELATED] and he has this nice little stream where he is changing a lot of the underlying ways of how we attach things and he has the support of a lot of the lead programmers in engine tech. So in this stream he's changing how we attach things tuned from, um, different things and one of the problems we have with our current tech is if we want to attach a ship to another ship a whole slew of problems arise because the ship has an interior physics grid with a bunch of object containers and if you attach it to another one of those the code doesn't handle it great and it just has problems. So in that stream he has provided a way to fix those issues so that I could attach a ship onto a ship and it would work as you would expect and if we get that tech past QA we fixed some of the bugs that has resulted from it it would open up the doors to give us that ability to bring a ship on a ship so that you could dock a ship directly on another ship. Like right now I think on the constellation there's a fake Merlin just because we don't have the ability to attach another ship on a ship if we get this tech we can then do this we could attach another ship on the ship.

Kieron Davis - Aug 2018 - Not Answering Questions Since 2015

quote:

W: Slightly tricky one you probably won’t want to answer! I’ve worked in several places where you’ve got some guy, he’s really senior in the company and he’s a coder and he was one of the founders and does what he wants to do and goes in and says “this shouldn’t work like that!” and he does whatever he wants in the code base. In many ways, everyone in the company reports to Chris, but at the same time, if Chris is cutting code for Star Citizen, he needs to report to someone. So what happens in that? Is Chris coming into sprint planning and being allocated tasks and his tickets are on a Jira board where everyone can see what he’s doing? Is someone peer reviewing his code? Or is he like “nah, f**k all that, I’m doing what I want and you guys deal with the fallout”?

EKD: That’s a tricky one! What’s really important to us at all levels, especially at the leadership side is to keep as closely in touch with the product as we can and it takes a lot of effort to manage that. But on the coding side, absolutely, everyone has a peer review, Paul Reindell is our Star Citizen Engineering Director and we have other insanely talented engineers and Chris works very closely with them. There is definitely a level of maintained respect at all levels. Sean Tracy knows everything about Perforce, everything in our engine and he’s a super smart guy. He said he was going to try to do a check in request that would purge the entire database just to see what would happen and thankfully it’s blocked! We have checks and balances everywhere. We do a lot of testing and there’s a complete sense of shared responsibility across everything that we’re doing.

W: So if I was an employee at CIG working on Star Citizen, I could login to your Jira and see tickets that Chris Roberts is working on? He’s adhering to the process? He doesn’t strike me as a process guy…

EKD: Maybe… I’m kidding! Of course. You have to understand, this grew from nothing. If you go work at Activision, they have everything in place to design and build games. For us, in the early days it was just hire people and get stuff done. So we’re building not just a game, not just a company, but also all the processes to make this stuff work. Would I take a junior engineer and give them some really complicated R&D or architectural work or would I give it to my CEO or Tony Zurovec? The answer is obvious. When you’re producing any product, there’s the R&D phase which is going to be a bit looser and you prototype so these are things I’m going to put different resources on to those kinds of tasks.

There’s an art to producing and working to get the best out of people that’s not necessarily written in a book, particularly when you’re working on creative stuff.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 2, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bronze Fonz posted:

Wait... did they steal backpacks from Death Stranding?
I know the assets are all "borrowing" heavily from other franchises, when they're not "borrowing" an entire culture from China, but WTF is with the Death Stranding backpack?

By
Ryan
Archer

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
BTW contrats on the new architecture gig Beet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AP posted:

INFINITE MONEY GLITCH

1 Buy Agricium from Loveridge Mineral Reserve.
2 When buying the Agricium from Loveridge Mineral Reserve, there is a chance that you’r cargo will never be placed in your ship. If this happens go to step 3
3 After your cargo have disappeared, wait 4 minutes and you can buy 3x more stock from the same vendor (Loveridge Mineral Reserve) and go to port olisar.
4 Then once at port olisar, sell all your stock and log out for around 4 hours.
5 Once the time has passed, log in again and the cargo that disappeared when you bought cargo the first time, will now be in your ship.
6 Now continuously sell the cargo. The cargo will duplicate itself consistently and you will be able to earn millions within minutes.

ACTUAL RESULT
After selling the cargo once, I saw that I had now even more cargo in my ship (The currently free freelancer) and every time I sold the cargo, I would instantly get more cargo. This resulted in me selling more and more of the same cargo, earning 1.9 million within 2 minutes.

EXPECTED RESULT
I expected the cargo to disappear/removed when I sold it the first time, but it came back every time i sold it, and I would even get more cargo then before.

WORKAROUND
I dont know a work around for this. Not only does this give infinite money, but it also makes cargo impossible to remove from your ship once this happens.
Other then that I would say a wipe is needed. I had 100k that I earned legit, but just after 2 minutes I’m sitting on 2+ million UEC.
Please remove all my money except for 100k which I had gotten legit. I really don’t like things like this, since it destroys progression completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNt0Av20s6s

Oh no! Not my progression!