Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Inverter is not the problematic card, the card that puts an “I literally win the game” trigger on the stack with virtually no counter play, is the issue and this is, I believe, the same
Play-Design team that brought us Oko.

Disallow, Nimble Obstructionist, Repudiate, even Tale's End if you need to go deep (hey, it counters planeswalkers too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Two rounds into a Pioneer PTQ and I've not played any Magic yet, just watch Oracle of Thassa solitair. Fair to say Play Design should just be humanly destroyed at this stage.

Oh no, a combo deck in a large format, whatever could you possibly do in order to stop it from happening!!!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hushwing Gryff, Tocatli Honor Guard, Whirlwind Denial, counter spells.

The real problem is every card that's actually good against it is blue and they just get to play 4 Thoughtseize.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Hushwing Gryff, Tocatli Honor Guard, Whirlwind Denial, counter spells.

The real problem is every card that's actually good against it is blue and they just get to play 4 Thoughtseize.

Which ties into a much deeper and more fundamental problem with the game, i.e. Blue and Black get all the disruption

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which ties into a much deeper and more fundamental problem with the game, i.e. Blue and Black get all the disruption

Every color gets disruption, it's just that not every color gets to do the same kind of disruption and blue's disruption is time limited not type limited. This isn't a fundamental problem with the game, it's just how the game functions. I'm not sure why you would expect every color to be equally good at all interaction; that would make the game far less interesting.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's time for another planar chaos esque set

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
IMO I think it's more likely that the issue is that Thassa's Oracle is like Lab Man but costs less and is more lenient in how empty your library is.

I don't think giving white the ability to give creatures -x/-x or red bounce effects is going to fix such a perfect combo finisher.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
As an EDH player, let me tell you how glad I am that y'all finally joining us on the Oracle Hate Train.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lab man can also typically be answered by creature removal, mean that any colour can interact with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Toshimo posted:

As an EDH player, let me tell you how glad I am that y'all finally joining us on the Oracle Hate Train.

Finally? Set just came out

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
In a post that probably interests bust rodd and only bust rodd, I took manaless dredge out for a ride again today and went 3-2.
First match against sneak and show,
G1 Sneak attacked in a griselbrand and drew, I managed to out value with small creatures and the fact griselbrand kept dying meant I was able to attack and win.
G2 Missed out on some dredgers, sneak attack with grisel and another big creature while I had little in the way of a board meant I lost.
G3 just pure out valued with nether shadows and amalgams
Win 2-1

M2 against a monoblack control like deck
G1 again just ground out with shadows/amalgams/ichorids
G2 he dropped a T3 ashiok before I could get much going and I conceded
G3 there was a surgical extraction exiled with chrome mox. I could see he was struggling with mana so I force of vigored the mox and a bitterblossom, then dread returned a balustrade to flip the deck.
Win 2-1

M3 a weird manaless lab man thing that I can't really describe. It had an angel that brought back some humans and he would balustrade himself to draw with lab man. I lost G1, he whiffed G2, G3 I should've mulliganed to find a faerie macabre but with a once upon a time and two street wraiths I wasn't able to find anything to save myself.
Loss 1-2

M4 against lands
G1 I dread had a narcomaeba to block marit lage, then dread returned another one to block again while sticking some amalgams and shadows on the board to win.
G2 I got run over by marit lage
G3 there was an early bojuka bog that caused me problems, but I was able to rebuild a hand as he got stuck looking for a life from the loam. I'm not sure why he didn't pull out a dark depths with the elf that let him search, as he had a thespian's stage, but he wanted to pull glacial chasm and bojuka bog out of the yard. I had a couple faerie macabres in hand regardless and out ground him.
Win 2-1

M5 win and in to top 4 against a UW value pack
G1 he stuck a meddling mage T2 naming dread return. I cabal therapy on my T2 blindly naming something, saw a card called peacekeeper. T3 he whiffed on a land but played another meddling mage naming cabal therapy, then played peacekeeper. I had a big board at this point but would need him to miss a trigger on peacekeeper to win. I was a little pissed off as there were 2 guys constantly talking to us while we were playing and talking about trying to distract my opponent to miss the trigger. he missed it while they were really giving him the gears, so I told him I didn't want to win if that's how he missed the trigger and gave up game 1
G2 he played lavinia T2, then grafdigger T3 and I was done.
Loss 2-0

The deck I'm finding is more about grinding out wins with recursive creatures, which is surprisingly fun despite feeling like I don't have many choices to make. Takeaways from the day are: The flip-the-deck part is stylish but hard to pull off. Amalgams are far and away better than rootwallas. Against a fragile combo deck it is definitely better to mulligan and struggle with dredging later if it means a chance at stopping the combo and winning that way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mother loving hell yeah dude that rocks. Is it just a cheap tourney at your LGS or are they a Legacy weekly thing?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Last week's legacy was the local magic club (there are associations/ clubs for everything here), this week was one of the clubs in the next city over. The LGS runs pioneer and standard in store, the modern and legacy are sponsored by the store but the club has membership and stuff. Normally we get one modern and one legacy event per month in our club, and then one pioneer/ one standard in the LGS.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Toshimo posted:

I think it's the Flash Hate Train, but the recent caboose that was attached just happened to have a big Thassa's Oracle mural graffiti on the side of it.

Rinkles posted:

Finally? Set just came out
The hour that Oracle was spoiled, it was identified as the enabler to tie together the two strongest strategies in cEDH into a single deck while making most other forms of either inferior. It's kinda busted (alongside Flash) and was spotted immediately.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ilmucche posted:

M3 a weird manaless lab man thing that I can't really describe. It had an angel that brought back some humans and he would balustrade himself to draw with lab man. I lost G1, he whiffed G2, G3 I should've mulliganed to find a faerie macabre but with a once upon a time and two street wraiths I wasn't able to find anything to save myself.
Loss 1-2

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean mulliganning in manaless dredge isn't really a thing, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Aranan posted:

The hour that Oracle was spoiled, it was identified as the enabler to tie together the two strongest strategies in cEDH into a single deck while making most other forms of either inferior. It's kinda busted (alongside Flash) and was spotted immediately.

does edh have enough tutors that a single nonlegendary can be that impactful?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Normally no, but in this case I think it's the right move:
He would flip the deck and have at most 4 narcomaebas in play so only 1 cast of dread return available.
He was targetting a 1 of creature in his yard that he needed to get lab man and a creature that let him draw into play. If he fails to get that creature into play he basically loses, which combined with the fact he gets exactly 1 shot at it well means it could be worth it to mull for a faerie macabre to exile that target.

I'd rather mull in that situation because he goes off faster than I do, and if I snipe that card then I have all the time in the world to rebuild a hand, or he draws from an empty library on his next upkeep and loses. Not sure why he didn't balustrade me, as then I'd be the one drawing from an empty library.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rinkles posted:

Yes. More than enough.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Rinkles posted:

Definitely. And this is specifically for the more polished/high power/competitive levels where people are running budgetless decks packing all the tutors, Demonic Consultation / Tainted Pact, and raw card draw to dig for things. This is a good example of the 'stock' Sushi Hulk list.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

odiv posted:

God, getting to ignore someone's Dream Trawler is just so good. My opponent dropped one, said "Good Game" and then I just absolutely wrecked them anyway.

Also, no one expects Mystic Repeal. I have gotten a ton of use out of that card and my opponents are frequently mousing over the card in my gy to find out what the hell just happened.

Haha someone tried to prematurely gg me Friday night when they tried to Agent my Heliod and whoops Alseid exists and I had mana open for exactly that reason. I ended up winning because they rage quitted a couple turns later lol. If they had stuck it out they may have won.

Don't get cocky kid.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

We don't have the breakdown for Pioneer performance only yet, but Nagoya is 5/8ths Inverter Combo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes in Leg you gotta break your arm off and beat your opponent to death with it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks, good explanations. Is there any reason for Oops All Spells to be on the Angel of Glory's Rise plan now that Thassa's Oracle exists?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'd imagine in his deck it's because he was landless and was putting nearly nothing on the board for devotion. He had some elvish spirit guides and moxes of some sort for mana. In the 150 cards in our match 0 of them were lands.

Apparently his game 2 plan was charbelcher, but he whiffed and scooped before I saw it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

We don't have the breakdown for Pioneer performance only yet, but Nagoya is 5/8ths Inverter Combo.

Deck is good.

I just did a side event at SCG with it; never played a game with it before and went 3-0-1 with little to no effort

I do think it can be interacted with but people haven't figured out the play patterns yet

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Deck is good.

I just did a side event at SCG with it; never played a game with it before and went 3-0-1 with little to no effort

I do think it can be interacted with but people haven't figured out the play patterns yet

The counterplay is don’t let jace or thassafolk hit the field

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
counterspells, you say. :thunk:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thanks, good explanations. Is there any reason for Oops All Spells to be on the Angel of Glory's Rise plan now that Thassa's Oracle exists?

I think, no. You can play Oracle with Lotleth backup and it's still less slots than the Angel (or more updated, Underworld Cerberus versions).

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ungulateman posted:

counterspells, you say. :thunk:

Just spell queller everything into dust

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Blue's "timing matters" might be a better restriction if everything worth playing didn't have EtB triggers. Or if other color's spells could interact with the stack in a more meaningful way.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PJOmega posted:

Blue's "timing matters" might be a better restriction if everything worth playing didn't have EtB triggers.

I mean, this is a strength of blue's portfolio. Counters and discard are the only things that can deal with a planeswalker or 187 creature before your opponent gets to start lubing up their genitals with value.

True, blue's answers to resolved permanents are actively worse against etb effects, but it seems like most people are talking about counterspells.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
1b
Destroy target creature that entered the battlefield this turn. Counter all abilities that it entering the battlefield or dying would trigger.

Black essence scatter is not a colour pie break ):<

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Needs an on theme black name like "remove soul."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

obviously this needs a reprint

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Needs an on theme black name like "remove soul."

I actually made a common black removal spell for a custom cube called 'remove head' with the flavour text 'when your enemies are denied heads, they are denied victory'.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Choose one:
- Destroy target creature
- Counter target creature spell

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Lol wrong thread

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Interdict
{W}{W}

Gain control of target artifact or enchantment spell.

Edit: Pretend “interdict” isn’t already taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pulcinella posted:

Interdict
{W}{W}

Gain control of target artifact or enchantment spell.

Edit: Pretend “interdict” isn’t already taken.

My favorite version of this that I've seen is WW | Instant | Target instant or sorcery spell loses all abilities.