Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

LLSix posted:

Anyone tried Unity of Command II? I remember enjoying the first one.

The guys over on 3 Moves Ahead podcast really enjoyed it. They liked the first one too, but seemed to like the new one better.

It is a slight departure from the first, but thats mostly due to it switching which theatre it was depicting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I think the Wargame thread died. I built a pc and started going through my steam backlog, starting with Wargame Air Land Battle. Looking for some tips. I’m doing the first NATO campaign and struggling to win battles. I have to completely destroy armies over the course of multiple turns because I can never hit the victory limit in match. I find myself just hunkering down with antitank units in forests and buildings because whenever I try to take the offense I get shredded.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

FastestGunAlive posted:

I think the Wargame thread died. I built a pc and started going through my steam backlog, starting with Wargame Air Land Battle. Looking for some tips. I’m doing the first NATO campaign and struggling to win battles. I have to completely destroy armies over the course of multiple turns because I can never hit the victory limit in match. I find myself just hunkering down with antitank units in forests and buildings because whenever I try to take the offense I get shredded.

Its a tough game and the campaigns can be very one sided, i dont have any campaign specific advice because its been so long but scouting is paramount, infantry scouts in woods with turned off weapons so they dont reveal themselves are amazing. Push one avenue with a token defence in the rest. Air is king especially vs the ai, if you can win the air war you can bomb them with impunity

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

FastestGunAlive posted:

I vaguely remember a thing with that game where patches that tweaked unit strengths for multiplayer reasons ended up making the single player campaign impossibly hard and basically breaking it.

I might be totally wrong but maybe something to check.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fuf posted:

I vaguely remember a thing with that game where patches that tweaked unit strengths for multiplayer reasons ended up making the single player campaign impossibly hard and basically breaking it.

I might be totally wrong but maybe something to check.

That was European Escalation.

It also made parts of Steel Division 1's campaign wonky, though nowhere near as bad. That's kinda the problem with the linear campaigns.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Thats a thing in all of their games, red dragon notably added aa to a lot of nk tanks for mp that drastically changed the campaign

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
While I'm not a fan of 'new Blizzard', I was very happy with how old Blizzard approached balance and patching in multiplayer vs singleplayer in Warcraft 3. Namely, many of the multiplayer changes were ignored in the single player.

They obviously did a QA on all the changes for both multiplayer and singleplayer so they wouldn't end up with a situation like the above. I respect that.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh yea

working mom posted:

Its a tough game and the campaigns can be very one sided, i dont have any campaign specific advice because its been so long but scouting is paramount, infantry scouts in woods with turned off weapons so they dont reveal themselves are amazing. Push one avenue with a token defence in the rest. Air is king especially vs the ai, if you can win the air war you can bomb them with impunity

I’ve been using scouts but didn’t think to turn weapons off. My air gets shredded quickly by enemy SAMs. I’ll give it another go but maybe the post below you is right on the balancing. I’m not too keen to try this multiplayer but I am interested in doing other games so maybe we can get a game night going here. Is the WC4 remaster soon?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’ve been using scouts but didn’t think to turn weapons off. My air gets shredded quickly by enemy SAMs. I’ll give it another go but maybe the post below you is right on the balancing. I’m not too keen to try this multiplayer but I am interested in doing other games so maybe we can get a game night going here. Is the WC4 remaster soon?

Turning weapons off on them is pretty manditory, if you're using elites with manpads/AT you do have to remember to turn them back on at needed times. Air really needs micromanagement and hotkeys for fleeing, another less risky version is using arty which the ai I've never seen counter battery. For both air and arty fire pos is your friend so youre shooting in front of where a target is, more micro though.

Mortars with smoke are a godsend for attacking as well, just smoke the enemy position then rush them when they move out of position.

Multiplayer is a different beast, the AI will typically have more points to spend than you and can micro everything at once, but the only people still playing MP are people who've played it forever

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I hear the Warcraft 3 remake is out, if you're into that kind of thing.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Mordja posted:

So I hear the Warcraft 3 remake is out, if you're into that kind of thing.

I felt like Warcraft III was the last good 'old blizzard' game to come out.
I made a kickass custom single-player campaign for it too:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/to-the-bitter-end.202289/

The problem with this re-release is that it's siren call is making we want to get it and upgrade my campaign to work with it. But that would require me getting actual modelers, texture artists etc on board, since the far more complex models mean I can't just do some simple editing myself and still have it look ok. And I'd be tempted to voice-act it this time around, adding a whole massive new dimension of work to it.

Plus I don't know if I can justify sinking the endless hours into this thing when I barely have time for my current projects...

It hurts both to consider doing it and to consider leaving it be.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I was never a crazy fan of the focus on heroes at the time. I'm interested to go back and see if I like it any more now.

It was also definitely the beginning of the end for the old style of RTS and hell, just RTS in general at least in terms of AAA budget games

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

FanaticalMilk posted:

I was never a crazy fan of the focus on heroes at the time. I'm interested to go back and see if I like it any more now.

It was also definitely the beginning of the end for the old style of RTS and hell, just RTS in general at least in terms of AAA budget games

I tend to agree as far as RTS mechanics are concerned - in addition to the usual RTS problem where one side winning a battle already puts them at an advantage over the other side in terms of resources, they added hero Experience/levels to the mix. In Warcraft III, one side doing any significant damage to the other puts them significantly ahead because now their hero (or heroes) is considerably stronger than the opponents' - all the moreso if they actually managed to kill the enemy hero in the fight. Coming back from that is hard if it even happens once, since the only way past the early game of getting more Exp is to beat up the enemy - who is now stronger than ever.

At least that's the impression I get from skirmish games, I don't really play/like multiplayer RTS except co-op with friends.

My custom campaign though is not an RTS, it's a RPG/action game with a hero focus, and Warcraft III's hero-centric gameplay works well for that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

Hard to disagree when W3 is mostly noteworthy for the non-RTS mods that spun out of it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

I tend to agree as far as RTS mechanics are concerned - in addition to the usual RTS problem where one side winning a battle already puts them at an advantage over the other side in terms of resources, they added hero Experience/levels to the mix. In Warcraft III, one side doing any significant damage to the other puts them significantly ahead because now their hero (or heroes) is considerably stronger than the opponents' - all the moreso if they actually managed to kill the enemy hero in the fight. Coming back from that is hard if it even happens once, since the only way past the early game of getting more Exp is to beat up the enemy - who is now stronger than ever.

At least that's the impression I get from skirmish games, I don't really play/like multiplayer RTS except co-op with friends.

My custom campaign though is not an RTS, it's a RPG/action game with a hero focus, and Warcraft III's hero-centric gameplay works well for that.

it's no worse than any other rts, with evenly skilled players the only way you're getting a significant xp advantage is by spending a lot of resources on units/items, which means you're going to be behind on tech.

that said, the game is barely functional at the moment so don't buy it

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

little munchkin posted:

it's no worse than any other rts, with evenly skilled players the only way you're getting a significant xp advantage is by spending a lot of resources on units/items, which means you're going to be behind on tech.

that said, the game is barely functional at the moment so don't buy it

Not sure I agree there - XP can't be bought with the in-game resources, the only way to get it is to (a) kill things and (b) have your hero alive. And ironically, both are harder to do if the hero has less XP.
That's in addition to - not instead of - the economic and time penalties that come from losing units (particularly heroes). It exacerbates the existing problem.

And yes, don't give Activition/Blizzard money, they're a pack of avaricious liars.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

My enjoyment of RTSes has usually been based on how good the campaign is and on that basis warcraft 3 was a real banger. That more than anything else is what I miss from the golden age RTS games, most modern stuff just doesn't put effort into that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mine was always skirmishes and mods. Then DOW2 and COH2 multiplayer, for a while. I had actually never beaten some of my favourite RTS games, COH and the Homeworld games, until last year. Only ever beat Starcraft and WC3 through fragrant cheating as a kid. Never completed a single C&C or TA campaign despite loving and playing them all.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The editor was really fantastic. Perfect combo of functionality and ease of use imo and it shows in the fact that it spawned like 3 or 4 genres.

Even if the campaign is unfinished I might get the remake if people start putting out good custom maps or mods.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Starks posted:

The editor was really fantastic. Perfect combo of functionality and ease of use imo and it shows in the fact that it spawned like 3 or 4 genres.

Even if the campaign is unfinished I might get the remake if people start putting out good custom maps or mods.

*monkey paw curls*

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Crosspost from the meme thread cuz a strat game’s in there and it made ma laugh

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Does anyone feel like it's weird that the Age of Empires 2 has outlived and outlasted the Starcraft community and the C&C community? It's always been this weird island that's been detached from everything and it just somehow keeps going strong for some reason. I feel like all of the drama and issues that RTS communities have had over the decades doesn't apply to the AoE2 community.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
SC is still going strong though? C&C basically died when EA took over Westwood, but SC2 is still one of the biggest e-sports in terms of prize money at least. See https://www.esportsearnings.com/games

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Love Stole the Day posted:

Does anyone feel like it's weird that the Age of Empires 2 has outlived and outlasted the Starcraft community and the C&C community? It's always been this weird island that's been detached from everything and it just somehow keeps going strong for some reason. I feel like all of the drama and issues that RTS communities have had over the decades doesn't apply to the AoE2 community.

I could be wrong, but I think the main reason for that is the various re-releases and remakes and continued content by the Forgotten Empires team. And, more importantly, the fact that it's been (mostly) good and Microsoft has taken a relatively hands-off approach.

E: I'd also say C&C's also kind of survived, but through its modding community, people still make stuff for those old games (and even some for the newer ones) but the focus is more on skirmish and singleplayer.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2020

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, no games truly die anymore, but AoE2 is one of the more active retro games. Twitch viewer counts are pretty wild for some older games. AoE2 (definite edition) has ~5k viewers at the moment, close to Wind Waker (3k) Super Mario World (4k) Max Payne 2 (6k????), Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (6.1k), old school runescape (~10k); and soundly beat by super mario 64 (20k) and warcraft 3 (40k, but it just released the reforged edition).

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I think AoE2 has way more people playing than watching though and I'd be surprised if SC2's daily player counts over the past 7 years can come anywhere close to AoE2's consistency (even after being split across 2 games):

Also, Tooth & Tail is very underrated right now imo: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/545898904?t=0h20m37s

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

There are currently 300k sc2 players daily on just the 1v1 ladder, so not counting coop or single player which are even bigger. That completely and utterly eclipses any aoe2 player counts.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
One thing I find kind of odd about AOE2 is that it's Star Wars version, Galactic Battlegrounds, seems to have become more or less forgotten. It's a great game that plays very similar to AOE2 (with a few key differences) and I would have thought that it would have stuck around too.

I mention this because it's come up in RSF and I just happened to grab it off GOG.com for a couple of bucks in a sale last week. It still holds up!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Look up the Expanding Fronts Mod for Galactic Battleground. It's pretty good.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Samopsa posted:

There are currently 300k sc2 players daily on just the 1v1 ladder, so not counting coop or single player which are even bigger. That completely and utterly eclipses any aoe2 player counts.
I stand corrected

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Command and Conquer also doesn't have it's remake/remaster yet.

Sure you can get the ultimate collection on Origin, but if I recall several of them have difficulty running on Windows 10 and the servers for multiplayer are long dead.

Orv
May 4, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

One thing I find kind of odd about AOE2 is that it's Star Wars version, Galactic Battlegrounds, seems to have become more or less forgotten. It's a great game that plays very similar to AOE2 (with a few key differences) and I would have thought that it would have stuck around too.

I mention this because it's come up in RSF and I just happened to grab it off GOG.com for a couple of bucks in a sale last week. It still holds up!

AoE2 has held up for the most part because it has a high potential complexity while being relatively balanced. As much as I loved WC3 it had some rough issues when you started getting competitive and while AoE2 is far from perfect it does better than almost any other RTS at almost every aspect of it being competitive. Coupled with a pretty easy entry-point compared to say, WC3 hero micro or SC2's potential for extremely intensive macro and it can maintain and even replace its player base a lot easier.

I mention balance so prominently because Galactic Battlegrounds, aside from being one of hundreds of IP knock-off games that probably wouldn't have survived even if it was good, is extremely unbalanced. It's not the worst RTS balance ever but if you start picking it apart it feels a lot like a mod made by people who wanted to make something cool - which they succeeded at, I also picked it up the moment it came up on GOG - rather than something that was made by experienced designers.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Starks posted:

I remember a real fun mod/custom map that was called ice troll tribes. In it there was several different teams of about four or so players each. Each team was a tribe. Each player controlled only one troll, and you had to forage for food, keep warm by assembling a bonfire from materials found in the wilds, and be on the look out for the other tribes on the map. Basically a survival game way before survival games became cool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Command and Conquer also doesn't have it's remake/remaster yet.

Sure you can get the ultimate collection on Origin, but if I recall several of them have difficulty running on Windows 10 and the servers for multiplayer are long dead.

The original servers are, but the community-run ones are online and active. Currently about 700 people online, all the games up to TS (I think) are downloadable of their site too.
https://cncnet.org/

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Orv posted:

AoE2 has held up for the most part because it has a high potential complexity while being relatively balanced. As much as I loved WC3 it had some rough issues when you started getting competitive and while AoE2 is far from perfect it does better than almost any other RTS at almost every aspect of it being competitive. Coupled with a pretty easy entry-point compared to say, WC3 hero micro or SC2's potential for extremely intensive macro and it can maintain and even replace its player base a lot easier.

I mention balance so prominently because Galactic Battlegrounds, aside from being one of hundreds of IP knock-off games that probably wouldn't have survived even if it was good, is extremely unbalanced. It's not the worst RTS balance ever but if you start picking it apart it feels a lot like a mod made by people who wanted to make something cool - which they succeeded at, I also picked it up the moment it came up on GOG - rather than something that was made by experienced designers.

Can you give some examples of how Galactic Battlegrounds is unbalanced? And how AoE2 compares?

I'll be the first to admit I'm far from a competitive gamer and I never play on harder difficulties (or multiplayer for that matter), but I've never felt that there were big balance issues between the various factions, or that there was a big difference between SW:GB and AoE2.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I spent a decent chunk of my childhood playing Star Wars: Force Commander and I'm willing to bet that game was trash tier but if someone could just confirm that for me I'd really appreciate it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GyverMac posted:

I remember a real fun mod/custom map that was called ice troll tribes. In it there was several different teams of about four or so players each. Each team was a tribe. Each player controlled only one troll, and you had to forage for food, keep warm by assembling a bonfire from materials found in the wilds, and be on the look out for the other tribes on the map. Basically a survival game way before survival games became cool.

This sounds awesome

Orv
May 4, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Can you give some examples of how Galactic Battlegrounds is unbalanced? And how AoE2 compares?

I'll be the first to admit I'm far from a competitive gamer and I never play on harder difficulties (or multiplayer for that matter), but I've never felt that there were big balance issues between the various factions, or that there was a big difference between SW:GB and AoE2.

There's a few standouts but admittedly it has been a bit. The major ones I remember;
  • Gungans have a setup that allows them to basically produce infinite amounts of their best troop in giant waves.
  • Several factions get Jedi/Sith Masters, which in addition to being as deadly as AOE2 Teutonic Knights in melee are also AOE2 priests, can heal themselves and can go invisible.
  • Because GB is a much more vehicle heavy game, due to being Star Wars, you get a lot of units that might come out of a Siege Workshop in AOE2 but start quickly having drastically different levels of quality. An AT-TE can wipe out a hundred standard infantry without making a fuss, meanwhile Gungan vehicles fall over to a light breeze.
  • Finally and my personal favorite, since GB adds air craft that much like RoN can only be attacked by AA towers and some units without actually changing the AI a great deal from AOE2, they absolutely cannot handle them very well at all.

I'll be totally honest though and say that while I don't think GB would have survived as a competitive game the way AOE2 has, the bigger issue is that AOE2 was already there and while I love GB for what it is and what it does, it's very much a comfort snack food kind of thing and that probably killed it more than anything.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 2, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

meanwhile Gungan vehicles fall over to a light breeze.
Good.

Klaus88 posted:

Look up the Expanding Fronts Mod for Galactic Battleground. It's pretty good.
I've seen that mod, does it really change the gameplay and balance much or just add a bunch more races and units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Orv posted:

There's a few standouts but admittedly it has been a bit. The major ones I remember;
  • Gungans have a setup that allows them to basically produce infinite amounts of their best troop in giant waves.
  • Several factions get Jedi/Sith Masters, which in addition to being as deadly as AOE2 Teutonic Knights in melee are also AOE2 priests, can heal themselves and can go invisible.
  • Because GB is a much more vehicle heavy game, due to being Star Wars, you get a lot of units that might come out of a Siege Workshop in AOE2 but start quickly having drastically different levels of quality. An AT-TE can wipe out a hundred standard infantry without making a fuss, meanwhile Gungan vehicles fall over to a light breeze.
  • Finally and my personal favorite, since GB adds air craft that much like RoN can only be attacked by AA towers and some units without actually changing the AI a great deal from AOE2, they absolutely cannot handle them very well at all.

I'll be totally honest though and say that while I don't think GB would have survived as a competitive game the way AOE2 has, the bigger issue is that AOE2 was already there and while I love GB for what it is and what it does, it's very much a comfort snack food kind of thing and that probably killed it more than anything.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've noticed a few things like that (like how the Republic can crank out troops faster than anyone else once they're fully upgraded, and how annoying air can be since you need AA units that are otherwise useless), but as I say I'm not a competitive player so I guess I just never thought that kind of thing was a massive issue.

I dunno, I guess I would have thought that "AoE2, but Star Wars" would have been enough for SW:GB to have stuck around at least a little.