Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Goodbye Flu Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/TheWarMonitor/status/1224099629605752833?s=20

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The SA probation concept with Chinese characteristics.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

do they at least get free kittens with their probies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

basically the people on that plane had to have gotten the disease at least a few days ago, and if 14% of them have the coronavirus it is a decent approximation of the entire population of Wuhan.

lol not really

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

lol not really

how so?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

a group of a hundred tourists with common nationality, and therefore likely overlap in time spent together (e; or in similar locales), does not map to a population of a multi-million city

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wuhan! Wuhan! Get yo flu in check

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

Wuhan! Wuhan! Get yo flu in check

Lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dex_sda posted:

a group of a hundred tourists with common nationality, and therefore likely overlap in time spent together, does not map to a population of a multi-million city

yeah it's just a low sample size. tourists whom are probably families traveling together, maybe visiting some of similar poo poo or festivals, and things like that. it's almost certainly an overestimate but it is A Data Point (on the very high-side)

but it's certainly a lot higher than just the official 18,000 official confirmed cases or w/e its up to.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 3, 2020

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dex_sda posted:

a group of a hundred tourists with common nationality, and therefore likely overlap in time spent together (e; or in similar locales), does not map to a population of a multi-million city

they were mostly residents of wuhan, not tourists, unless im missing something here.

sure it's not a perfect sample, but even if its off by 50% or more it still means hundreds of thousands might be infected already.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

they were mostly residents of wuhan, not tourists, unless im missing something here.

sure it's not a perfect sample, but even if its off by 50% or more it still means hundreds of thousands might be infected already.

nevertheless, the common language etc. will make interconnections between the members of a small sample totally non-representative of the actual population's of the city. not to mention a huge chunk of the what was it, a dozen? could have caught it, say, during a party where they met or something

or, to put it another way, the sample is neither large, nor is it randomly selected, so any statistical predictions are reading tea leaves.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I don't think this kind of extrapolation is worth much. Like, you all keep talking about that dude that spent 2 hours at Tianhe airport on Jan 14. I flew into Tianhe on Jan 19, then went to Han St. (one of the busiest mall streets) to do some shopping, then to my open air market. I'm not sick.

Neither that dude's data point or mine is worth anything. Just follow the reported numbers.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dex_sda posted:

nevertheless, the common language etc. will make interconnections between the members of a small sample totally non-representative of the actual population's of the city. not to mention a huge chunk of the what was it, a dozen? could have caught it, say, during a party where they met or something

or, to put it another way, the sample is neither large, nor is it randomly selected, so any statistical predictions are reading tea leaves.

The plane reportedly carried evacuees from 30 countries, and most of the non-French citizens are expected to return to their home countries, Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Can you check out that purported article I posted last page? I'm still really curious about it.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

The plane reportedly carried evacuees from 30 countries, and most of the non-French citizens are expected to return to their home countries, Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.

😬

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Oh, I thought that the whole plane was just french expats.

Still, that 20 of the 36 showing symptoms are French suggest they might have caught it by just being unfortunate enough for behaviors French gravitate towards in Wuhan to be more dangerous. Or, it might actually be incredibly virulent and more cases on that flight are coming. Again, reading tea leaves, just far too many variables to this to guess anything when all you get are 3 numbers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's actually up to you to demonstrate how a group of 200 evacuees are representative of a city of 11 million people. Take a 30-child classroom that has 3 measles cases, that does not mean that the city of Los Angeles (pop 4M) likely has 400k measles infections

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is completely meaningless extrapolation

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is a complete non sequitur to the idea that this single plane of passengers is accurately representative of the city of Wuhan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe I’m missing something but why wouldn’t you just immediately quarantine everyone coming off these flights?

Yeah it sucks for those people but it’s a “world health emergency” so why take chances?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I want to die, but I don't want to die of pneumonia. Ideally I'll only become infected right before they start nuking cities to contain the outbreak. Then I'll have my chance to reenact the terminator 2 scene at the nearest chainlink fence

edit:

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m missing something but why wouldn’t you just immediately quarantine everyone coming off these flights?

Yeah it sucks for those people but it’s a “world health emergency” so why take chances?

Gettigng quarantined would be tight as hell. Imagine, 2 weeks off work...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

That's official US policy now; everyone traveling out of or through China is now subject to a 14 day quarantine period, full stop. Including people who flew through China up to 14 days before the order was made (which was sometime within the last few days)

I can hope that other countries are doing the same.

But you don't just quarantine these people in China; countries want to maintain responsibility of their own citizens for a number of reasons

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Can you check out that purported article I posted last page? I'm still really curious about it.
The Chinese article you posted about hospital conditions? Sorry I can't really verify anything about that. I see articles like that posted around WeChat, and I'm sure there's some truth to all of them, but also not every situation is like that.

I forgot to mention earlier that it's crazy quiet compared to normal around my apartment. I live next to 4 train lines, and Wuhan drivers looooove to honk their horns. But now we walk up to the roof (it's full of gardens by the residents) and it's totally peaceful and quiet.

Except... for this low rumble. Turns out we are close enough to hear the construction machinery for one of the hospitals being built. Pretty crazy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

It's actually up to you to demonstrate how a group of 200 evacuees are representative of a city of 11 million people. Take a 30-child classroom that has 3 measles cases, that does not mean that the city of Los Angeles (pop 4M) likely has 400k measles infections

this is completely meaningless extrapolation

this is a complete non sequitur to the idea that this single plane of passengers is accurately representative of the city of Wuhan

250 people is a 6% MoE for 11 million.

these are mostly people who live in Wuhan, made up of 30 different nationalities. it is absolutely not a perfect sample, and the MoE is probably drastically worse than that because of it, but entirely discounting this is also stupid.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

A Russian troll farm posted:

you'd get fired if you were an american

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lord funk posted:

The Chinese article you posted about hospital conditions? Sorry I can't really verify anything about that. I see articles like that posted around WeChat, and I'm sure there's some truth to all of them, but also not every situation is like that.

I forgot to mention earlier that it's crazy quiet compared to normal around my apartment. I live next to 4 train lines, and Wuhan drivers looooove to honk their horns. But now we walk up to the roof (it's full of gardens by the residents) and it's totally peaceful and quiet.

Except... for this low rumble. Turns out we are close enough to hear the construction machinery for one of the hospitals being built. Pretty crazy.

You should say that post into a tape recorder then leave it conspicuously lying around, just in case.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Imagine if this happened in the US especially with all the Anti-vaxxers and CBD oil cures autism whacko running around.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

No you wouldn’t.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

That's official US policy now; everyone traveling out of or through China is now subject to a 14 day quarantine period, full stop. Including people who flew through China up to 14 days before the order was made (which was sometime within the last few days)

I can hope that other countries are doing the same.

I have a coworker who was in an airport in China within the last 9 days or so, and he looked really sick on thursday. Also I've seen the same guy take one nitrile glove off to take a piss, then just put the glove back on and leave the washroom without ever washing his hands

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Imagine a 2-week unexcused absence from your job

EDIT: Okay, more likely might be "imagine not getting paid for two weeks because you're an hourly employee"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

No you wouldn’t.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224118905184100355

😬

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Colin Mockery posted:

Well see, the idea is that it's an excused absence. You don't get a much better opportunity to not get fired for a two week absence than "The government quarantined me due to a public health emergency"

edit: I'm the kind of guy who would always take time off work if offered right up until the point of not being able to make rent/pay for food.

edit 2: I've had this vaguely positive vibe that a mishandled pandemic could be a catalyst for a potential revolutionary moment. Perhaps we are walking the golden path?

Ansar Santa fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 3, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Update the chart! Update the chart! Update the chart!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

250 people is a 6% MoE for 11 million.

these are mostly people who live in Wuhan, made up of 30 different nationalities. it is absolutely not a perfect sample, and the MoE is probably drastically worse than that because of it, but entirely discounting this is also stupid.

Good job high school graduate, you've calculated the random sampling error for a sampling study that A) did not use random sampling and was B) likely rife with systematic errors.

e: See also:

QuarkJets posted:

Take a 30 250-child class size that has 3 25 measles cases, that does not mean that the city of Los Angeles (pop 4M) likely has 400k measles infections

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
ive calculated the numbers and its saying my MoE is -99%

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

ive calculated the numbers and its saying my MoE is -99%

i think you just used the wrong numbers, that's my average post quality on a scale of -1 to 1

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Colin Mockery posted:

EDIT: Okay, more likely might be "imagine not getting paid for two weeks because you're an hourly employee"

ok

quote:

McDonald's offers paid sick and personal time for staff employees up to 10 sick days and 2 personal days per calendar year (less for part-time staff employees). The amount of days depends on the employee's hire date during the year.

I know we like to say America is a hellscape and all that but you’d probably also be eligible for disability for those two weeks off if your employer didn’t cover it (they probably would).

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Well see, the idea is that it's an excused absence. You don't get a much better opportunity to not get fired for a two week absence than "The government quarantined me due to a public health emergency"

edit: I'm the kind of guy who would always take time off work if offered right up until the point of not being able to make rent/pay for food.

Yeah, I edited my post to reflect that there's the more likely but still big problem of "surprise you got a two-week unpaid leave of absence" (assuming no wage theft/illegal shenanigans on the employer's part that leads to them refusing to accept the excused absence).

I snagged a random example but couldn't easily find real stats: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/03/measles-outbreaks-cost-workers-without-paid-sick-leave/585178/

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

thinking about how any quarantined americans are going to lose their jobs and health insurance lol

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

ok

I know we like to say America is a hellscape and all that but you’d probably also be eligible for disability for those two weeks off if your employer didn’t cover it (they probably would).

No offense but under a pandemic if your employer fired you, and you have medical documentation you were contagious with the disease you wouldn't have to worry about your Mc job because the settlement money from the lawsuit would be sufficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Good job high school graduate, you've calculated the random sampling error for a sampling study that A) did not use random sampling and was B) likely rife with systematic errors.

e: See also:

and im not saying its a perfect random sampling moron, but there is nothing to indicate all these people were hanging out together for days in advance before leaving. what they have in common is that they are european foreigners who lived in wuhan. since they are showing symptoms upon arrival, they did not catch the disease in the plane or even the day or so before when they might have all met up. they got the coronavirus at some point in their daily lives living in wuhan. the margin of error could literally be 50% and this would still mean hundreds of thousands of people at a minimum have the disease.