Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Or better yet, it happens enough that people string up their bosses and overthrow the government of the bourgeoisie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

vyst posted:

No offense but under a pandemic if your employer fired you, and you have medical documentation you were contagious with the disease you wouldn't have to worry about your Mc job because the settlement money from the lawsuit would be sufficient

I think you have too much faith in the legal system

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

RandomBlue posted:

It came from the GBS thread and yes it's racist as poo poo.

Making fun of a thing that actually exists and happened is simply out of bounds!

We must all eat a bat in humble contrition as a show of unity for the small weak country of China. :rolleyes:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

I think you have too much faith in the legal system

Not when the people voting on that civil judgment are humans. Quickest settlement of your life

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How long until we find out someone at the super bowl has the wushu flu? I'm thinking Wednesday.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I don't understand, why would there be a settlement? You're an at-will employee. How would you win a lawsuit?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854999/#__sec1title 2007 (I don't know if it's changed between then and now) thinks "No court has ever held that it violates public policy to discharge an individual because he or she missed work because of quarantine."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I ran the number and according to my calculations over 50 billion people are already infected and even more are dead. I don't want to scare you but you all may be ghosts

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

vyst posted:

Wuhan! Wuhan! Get yo flu in check

Thank you! Ive been waiting for that this whole time!

WU HAN!

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Part of it is law, part of it is norms. Employers violate laws all the time. What actually matter is if they think they could get away with it, or if it would be worth the potential hassle. I'm in Canada, and we have stronger labour laws than the US (though they are still routinely violated.) They could probably get away with it if they really wanted to, but I'm fairly confident that my employer wouldn't fire me for being quarantined. The risk/reward for them just doesn't really make sense.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Russian troll farm posted:

Part of it is law, part of it is norms. Employers violate laws all the time. What actually matter is if they think they could get away with it, or if it would be worth the potential hassle. I'm in Canada, and we have stronger labour laws than the US (though they are still routinely violated.) They could probably get away with it if they really wanted to, but I'm fairly confident that my employer wouldn't fire me for being quarantined. The risk/reward for them just doesn't really make sense.

The US has poo poo labor laws in terms of protecting employees stuck in a quarantine situation and only a small number of US states provide even basic job protection.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

:ok:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

vyst posted:

No offense but under a pandemic if your employer fired you, and you have medical documentation you were contagious with the disease you wouldn't have to worry about your Mc job because the settlement money from the lawsuit would be sufficient

You're forgetting that it's at will employment so the company can let go of people for whatever reason, and as long as it's plausible enough (your boss not mentioning you being under quarantine as a reason for your layoff), the SCOTUS will just throw out any of those lawsuits

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MarcusSA posted:

ok

I know we like to say America is a hellscape and all that but you’d probably also be eligible for disability for those two weeks off if your employer didn’t cover it (they probably would).

key word there, "up to"

my job also offers "up to" three weeks of paid leave/vacation.......... if you've been with the company for ten years. if you've been there less than a year, you get nothing, and if you've been there 1-4 years, you get a week. I imagine the scenario is pretty similar for that mcdonalds thing. not even gonna start speculating on that part time stipulation.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

these are some incredibly good will assumptions about the current state of low level american jobs lmfao

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Gig economy workers (Uber drivers, etc.) aren't employees, they're 1099 contractors anyways. They're not entitled to pay when they don't work. A lot of Americans can't afford to lose an entire paycheck.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

I ran the number and according to my calculations over 50 billion people are already infected and even more are dead. I don't want to scare you but you all may be ghosts

more anti-chinese racism

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

vyst posted:

what if you died

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

a.lo posted:

what if you died

then your wife who lost her job for abandoning it for 3 days to care for you in your dying days when no one else would gets your life insurance payout, unless you didn't have life insurance, i guess

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

"The law" is meaningless. It only exists so far as it's enforced, or so far as people think it will be enforced. In a lot of cases I'm sure people could slip through the cracks and get fired for being quarantined, yes. But in a lot of cases the employer might figure that potential backlash outweighs the benefit of crushing you like a bug.

By analyzing the possibilities dialectically, I have arrived at a Synthesis: You get fired for being quarantined, but it's a few months after you return to work, and under a different pretense, and once a replacement has been trained.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

a.lo posted:

what if you died

Then thank God, finally

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

vyst posted:

Not when the people voting on that civil judgment are humans. Quickest settlement of your life

average american on jury: too busy thinking about how they can't afford to be in this court room right now, worrying about how they'll pay next month's rent if they miss two days for this case, trying to convince 11 other people all thinking the same thing to just do what the incredibly expensive mcdonalds lawyer is saying and how no law is broken and if that guy didn't want to get fired he should have worn a mask and washed his hands anyways

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

"The law" is meaningless. It only exists so far as it's enforced, or so far as people think it will be enforced. In a lot of cases I'm sure people could slip through the cracks and get fired for being quarantined, yes. But in a lot of cases the employer might figure that potential backlash outweighs the benefit of crushing you like a bug.

By analyzing the possibilities dialectically, I have arrived at a Synthesis: You get fired for being quarantined, but it's a few months after you return to work, and under a different pretense, and once a replacement has been trained.

At lot of people thought the law meant something, and then this week it didn't. Next week we all die of flu.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/status/1223714622542315521?s=19

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

of course

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah you know instead of doing all that 3 weeks earlier when you knew about it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

people literally lose wrongful termination cases where they were obviously fired for being pregnant lol

unless the company is completely inept they have probably been keeping a file on all your minor fuckups the entire time you've worked for them so they can point to it and say you were slacking / unfit / not a team player, etc. when they decide to can you for whatever reason they feel like

and even if you could fight it, they're counting (correctly) on the overwhelming majority of working class people not having the resources to go to court

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Why are people more worried about this than SARS?

And why are people worried about a good chunk of the planet dying off a disease like it were a bad thing and not a normal part of the circle of life.

We're overdue for a Spanish Flu. 7 billion of us fuckers filling up every single dirty little hole this planet has with filth and killing off 50 million alone wouldn't make a god drat dent. And you're not going to get even 100,000 deaths from this thing.

nature is loving useless.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

riseofmydick posted:

Why are people more worried about this than SARS?

And why are people worried about a good chunk of the planet dying off a disease like it were a bad thing and not a normal part of the circle of life.

We're overdue for a Spanish Flu. 7 billion of us fuckers filling up every single dirty little hole this planet has with filth and killing off 50 million alone wouldn't make a god drat dent. And you're not going to get even 100,000 deaths from this thing.

nature is loving useless.

:gb2gbs:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

big mistake for china to end the one child policy, less people means less disease vectors. though when you really think about it, humanity is the disease. anyway, back to marathoning family guy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The regular season flu kills thousands of Americans each.

CDC has a article with some numbers:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
As far as we can tell, the new coronavirus is 20x as deadly and about as infective

So like a flu season with a 1, 2% fatality rate instead of a 0.1% fatality rate

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Trust me, US employers would be allowed to fire quarantined workers with impunity. In the US, only businesses and the wealthy are counted as people by our government. Everyone else is just subhuman meat robots, to be used up and disposed of when convenient.

Even if a jury found in your favor during a lawsuit, the judge would likely just throw out the result and find for the business. Happens in American lawsuits all the time. This is the country where one of our Supreme Court justices said that a company was within it's rights for firing an employee who refused to freeze to death inside a disabled semi-truck that sat for like 12 hours in sub-freezing temperatures.

I work in skilled nursing, I am fully expecting to be permanently unemployed in a year when this blows through the US and kills most of the people I work with.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bob dobbs is dead posted:

As far as we can tell, the new coronavirus is 20x as deadly and about as infective

So like a flu season with a 1, 2% fatality rate instead of a 0.1% fatality rate

yeah, there's also the very high probability is that corona viruses stick around and mutate yearly as part of the regular seasonal body-bandits we know and love, just with more killing but just as infectious (or more) than rhinovirus and influenzas. this will spread globally, despite best efforts, a bunch will die, and it'll become a regular thing we live with.

unless there's new vaccine development against almost the entire tree of corona viruses. but vaccines and antiviral research isn't really funded (at least in the US) because there isn't enough profit in it compared to slinging more hair growth and dick pills.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Xaris posted:

yeah, there's also the very high probability is that corona viruses stick around and mutate yearly as part of the regular seasonal body-bandits we know and love, just with more killing but just as infectious (or more) than rhinovirus and influenzas.

Just means building up bat rear end immunity

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224134720843284480?s=20

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

SchrodingersCat posted:

Trust me, US employers would be allowed to fire quarantined workers with impunity. In the US, only businesses and the wealthy are counted as people by our government. Everyone else is just subhuman meat robots, to be used up and disposed of when convenient.

Even if a jury found in your favor during a lawsuit, the judge would likely just throw out the result and find for the business. Happens in American lawsuits all the time. This is the country where one of our Supreme Court justices said that a company was within it's rights for firing an employee who refused to freeze to death inside a disabled semi-truck that sat for like 12 hours in sub-freezing temperatures.

I work in skilled nursing, I am fully expecting to be permanently unemployed in a year when this blows through the US and kills most of the people I work with.

Woooooooah baby. I like this post. How do I upvote on something awful?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Xaris posted:

yeah, there's also the very high probability is that corona viruses stick around and mutate yearly as part of the regular seasonal body-bandits we know and love, just with more killing but just as infectious (or more) than rhinovirus and influenzas.

If coronavirus became endemic they would just monitor it like the flu and start producing yearly rotating vaccines. The first few waves would be pretty nasty but once they had a catalogue of the antigens it was capable of producing it would be much the same process.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SchrodingersCat posted:

If coronavirus became endemic they would just monitor it like the flu and start producing yearly rotating vaccines. The first few waves would be pretty nasty but once they had a catalogue of the antigens it was capable of producing it would be much the same process.

oh yeah definitely. i would expect mortality would go down a lot after the first few years, as part of building up some immunities, compromised/oldes being culled already, and (hopefully) vaccine or antiviral work. but still a wombo combo with everything else probably will be leading to new normal of higher total seasonal mortality

who knows though, could get real lucky with way to wipe out the whole genus entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

It doesn't cover everyone, but FMLA exists