Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mazz posted:

They eat polluted dirt, just put them in with ethanol distillers or sieves.

Ohhhhh! I just spun up ethanol production with automated material delivery and mostly-automated farming, and found it jarring that my options for dealing with polluted dirt was dupe labor slinging pitchforks in compost bins, or just boxing all of that poo poo up in a Fart Locker stuffed with deodorizers.

Composting would be dank on another map but I’m on a Rime embark which has been fed entirely on mushrooms for 1,100 cycles and has over 900 tones of Dirt lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Mazz posted:

I'm running into the same problem trying to keep my little lime generators alive. This is a little trickier on bad lands with no arbor trees, so I'm trying to figure out a way to mass produce rot or dirt. I can't even cook dirt because I have very little PW, and I can't convert much water into PW through terrariums because algae and slime are almost non-existent.

I might have to lock some dupes in cages and turn into some horrifying rimworld style hell base, because steel production is more important than dupe lives or livelihood.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

User0015 posted:

I'm running into the same problem trying to keep my little lime generators alive. This is a little trickier on bad lands with no arbor trees, so I'm trying to figure out a way to mass produce rot or dirt. I can't even cook dirt because I have very little PW, and I can't convert much water into PW through terrariums because algae and slime are almost non-existent.

I might have to lock some dupes in cages and turn into some horrifying rimworld style hell base, because steel production is more important than dupe lives or livelihood.

One method, likely still pretty inefficient but better than boiling, is to set up a bunch of closed loop sieves and convert your CO2 sources into polluted dirt from sand with skimmers. If you power from petroleum gens, you should be able to keep a small handful of skimmers active. You only need enough water in the loop to keep both the skimmers and sieves active, it'll just keep converting sand to polluted dirt by flipping the water back and forth.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm having an odd issue, 12 dupes, a spom giving my base oxygen out the rear end, and a small slickster farm at the very bottom

But the slickters ate all the co2, and I just don't have enough to keep mushrooms running. What will throw me more? I know Nat gas power, but I don't have a vent (yet). Oil production?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Roundboy posted:

I'm having an odd issue, 12 dupes, a spom giving my base oxygen out the rear end, and a small slickster farm at the very bottom

But the slickters ate all the co2, and I just don't have enough to keep mushrooms running. What will throw me more? I know Nat gas power, but I don't have a vent (yet). Oil production?

Burn some wood near the mushrooms, you'll get all the CO2 you ever want.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mazz posted:

Yeah but once they lay an egg they'll start attacking dupes so I built a whole two-floor sweeping and incubation system. I can post it if you're curious.

Another funny moment today was cleaning out the entire frozen biome where I found and walled off my first AETN. Using storage bins and high-priority sweeping then dumping their contents, I have a few 20-tonne snowballs sitting around ready to either melt into my main PWater source or heatsink a copper volcano.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 2, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah but once they lay an egg they'll start attacking dupes so I build a whole two-floor sweeping an incubation system. I can post it if you're curious.

Another funny moment today was cleaning out the entire frozen biome where I found and walled off my first AETN. Using storage bins and high-priority sweeping then dumping their contents, I have a few 20-tonne snowballs sitting around ready to either melt into my main PWater source or heatsink a copper volcano.

They shouldn’t hurt any dupes fast enough to matter frankly. They’ll heal it all back when they sleep. You also don’t need to interact with sieves or ethanol distillers directly, both can be fed by sweeper arms.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 2, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'll start by demolishing my compost piles since 163t of dirt ought to last my drecko ranches far longer than I intend to play this game.

Edit: Ugh I set up a loving beautiful intake for this copper volcano and it doesn't even go off for another 30 cycles. poo poo was rumbling the entire time I was digging out the biome; I should have just opened 'er up and let the ice eat it all.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 2, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, I hate it when that happens.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I'm really happy with this setup, but of course the last thing I did was analyze the volcano only to see that shameful output. At least I achieved incredible solid compression??

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shumagorath posted:

I'm really happy with this setup, but of course the last thing I did was analyze the volcano only to see that shameful output. At least I achieved incredible solid compression??

Metal volcanoes are all pretty anemic in terms of overall output, unfortunately. Mazz mentioned that when he linked the seed I used, fortunately, so I knew to box up my gold volcano as soon as I had insulated tiles researched

Then, I dumped pwater 1 tile deep into the box, cracked the volcano and let it run for a couple hundred cycles until I got around to setting up my initial suit checkpoint.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
turns out carbon scrubbers freeze to death on rime, leading to a failure cascade

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
ok, my base is broken now

I had excess hydrogen from a SPOM and from a hydrogen vent feeding 2 generators for power, until the vent went inert and the spom output got eaten up. Once there is an interruption in gas the thing shuts off, and i get no movement unless i add a ampster wheel.

when normal, i get so much excess it shuts off because nothing can eat the gas fast enough.

Now i found 2 nat gas gysers which should help my CO2 needs. But i think i am missing some intermediate step with heat resistant metal.

My pump in the cool steam vent liquid pool keep breaking, and ditto for my plastic press and pump in my cruded oil. copper is a no go, but gold is too cool? Iron seems to be the same temp, do I need to get some steel asap ?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Roundboy posted:

Mushrooms don't consume CO2, they just need to be immersed in it. Just close the farm off from the slicksters and you'll only need to fill it up once.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Roundboy posted:

I had excess hydrogen from a SPOM and from a hydrogen vent feeding 2 generators for power, until the vent went inert and the spom output got eaten up. Once there is an interruption in gas the thing shuts off, and i get no movement unless i add a ampster wheel.

when normal, i get so much excess it shuts off because nothing can eat the gas fast enough.

Now i found 2 nat gas gysers which should help my CO2 needs. But i think i am missing some intermediate step with heat resistant metal.

My pump in the cool steam vent liquid pool keep breaking, and ditto for my plastic press and pump in my cruded oil. copper is a no go, but gold is too cool? Iron seems to be the same temp, do I need to get some steel asap ?

Gold amalgam is the go-to metal ore for building pumps in oil and steam geysers. It raises the overheat temperature enough that they'll have no problems at the temperatures found in those environments. (Though I'd caution you against tapping into that steam geyser before you have a good cooling system set up - it'll put a ton of heat into your base that you might not be ready to deal with.)

Plastic presses are a bit of a different situation. Rather than just being hot, they produce heat, meaning their temperature will constantly rise until they break regardless of what you build them out of. The solution here is you need to actively cool them, usually by pumping a cool liquid through radiant pipes in their room. Once you have steam turbines figured out you can destroy that heat, but in the short term it's okay to just pump from a big tank of water where the heat will sit until you're ready to deal with it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

turns out carbon scrubbers freeze to death on rime, leading to a failure cascade

You can keep digging downward, which will provide a space for the CO2 to go while you work on a heating situation. If you can uncover a steam geyser or a water vent of some sort, the heat from that can help you to warm up a region for the CO2 scrubber to work its magic.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Triarii posted:

Gold amalgam is the go-to metal ore for building pumps in oil and steam geysers. It raises the overheat temperature enough that they'll have no problems at the temperatures found in those environments. (Though I'd caution you against tapping into that steam geyser before you have a good cooling system set up - it'll put a ton of heat into your base that you might not be ready to deal with.)

Plastic presses are a bit of a different situation. Rather than just being hot, they produce heat, meaning their temperature will constantly rise until they break regardless of what you build them out of. The solution here is you need to actively cool them, usually by pumping a cool liquid through radiant pipes in their room. Once you have steam turbines figured out you can destroy that heat, but in the short term it's okay to just pump from a big tank of water where the heat will sit until you're ready to deal with it.

Thought I made them out of gold amalgam, and they still broke. Temp for oil looks to ber 200+ and cools steam water is 170-190 ish.

I need to look up how thermal plates and such work. Didn't i see people pop diamond plates behind stuff to cool it...somehow? I need to work my ice biome ice better and get my water cooled down.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Not exactly, temp-shift plates insulates/conducts temperatures across a 3x3 space centered around where you install them, depending on the material used. Generally they're used to evenly distribute the heat across a larger space than the machine itself, making it easier to maintain safe operating temperatures.

Gold Amalgam adds +50C to overheat temperatures of machines, so instead of most machines breaking at 75C it can withstand temperatures up to 125C. Your oil is still too hot for that, so you'll need Steel for its +200C before overheating modifier.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Roundboy posted:

Sounds like you need batteries, buffer tanks or both for the hydrogen. I have three tanks of hydrogen that take in anything the generators and AETN can't use immediately and cycle it back into the line until they fill up. When I built that industrial brick with the volcano and oxylite refineries pictured earlier hydrogen became hand-to-mouth immediately with only one oxylite refinery going 20% of the time, so I have a set of natural gas generators that feed into the same battery bank and have their own four buffer tanks. The key is that you want the buffer tanks for lossless smoothing of periodic sources like vents, and smart batteries with 90-50 automation to provide higher peak power draw than your generators can put out. It would be really hard to supply the entire load of your base 100% of the time but fortunately that's extremely unlikely if you're smart with automation (natural flow control or programmed).

Are you using Piped Output?

Your steam vent liquid pump needs to be gold amalgam as copper and iron malfunction at 75ºC, and the water at the bottom of whatever tank you made can hit that quickly. Oil pumps will need to be steel because crude can be over 300ºC easily. Plastic presses are thermal nightmares and you will want to make them out of steel and snake some cooling fluid behind them in radiant pipes. Finally, the presses can get so hot they melt their own output immediately so most guides I've seen solve that by putting a layer of crude oil on the floor to soak all the heat.

This video explains it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlzfMNGCb4E

Triarii posted:

Ditto. I got really lucky with an AETN vertically aligned with my cool steam vent, and a cool slush geyser above that overcame the deficit of water electrolysis once I split my output gas pipes to maximize bandwidth.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 3, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I found another cool slush geyser on what appears to be the extreme right side of the map (can't scroll any further?), so now that pokeshells are eating all my polluted dirt I guess I could grow mealwood for my dreckos after 1000+ by boiling that poo poo with a tepidizer :getin:

(just kidding I would sooner sandbox myself a boulder of dirt than plug one of those in again)

The geyser puts out a ridiculous 5.5Kg/sec when active (I snooped the wrong part in sandbox so it's already active). That's almost twice the one I posted earlier. Does the game tend to average outputs of geysers by giving it a lower active period or is that thing going to be all the PWater I ever need?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 3, 2020

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Roundboy posted:

Thought I made them out of gold amalgam, and they still broke. Temp for oil looks to ber 200+ and cools steam water is 170-190 ish.

I need to look up how thermal plates and such work. Didn't i see people pop diamond plates behind stuff to cool it...somehow? I need to work my ice biome ice better and get my water cooled down.

I'm guessing those temperatures are in Fahrenheit since you can't exactly have liquid water at 170C. Gold amalgam pumps have an overheat temp of 257F so they should work fine.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Sounds like you need batteries, buffer tanks or both for the hydrogen. I have three tanks of hydrogen that take in anything the generators and AETN can't use immediately and cycle it back into the line until they fill up. When I built that industrial brick with the volcano and oxylite refineries pictured earlier hydrogen became hand-to-mouth immediately with only one oxylite refinery going 20% of the time, so I have a set of natural gas generators that feed into the same battery bank and have their own four buffer tanks. The key is that you want the buffer tanks for lossless smoothing of periodic sources like vents, and smart batteries with 90-50 automation to provide higher peak power draw than your generators can put out. It would be really hard to supply the entire load of your base 100% of the time but fortunately that's extremely unlikely if you're smart with automation (natural flow control or programmed).

Are you using Piped Output?

Your steam vent liquid pump needs to be gold amalgam as copper and iron malfunction at 75ºC, and the water at the bottom of whatever tank you made can hit that quickly. Oil pumps will need to be steel because crude can be over 300ºC easily. Plastic presses are thermal nightmares and you will want to make them out of steel and snake some cooling fluid behind them in radiant pipes. Finally, the presses can get so hot they melt their own output immediately so most guides I've seen solve that by putting a layer of crude oil on the floor to soak all the heat.

This video explains it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlzfMNGCb4E

Ditto. I got really lucky with an AETN vertically aligned with my cool steam vent, and a cool slush geyser above that overcame the deficit of water electrolysis once I split my output gas pipes to maximize bandwidth.

I thought I had enough of a buffer. SPOM had a generator / smart bat / gas tank and the excess was being fed to my main power bay via bridge. Main path was to the spom power, the excess was to power block.

The hydrogen vent was also set to feed the SPOM tank (in case it ran dry it was a cheap way to make sure its topped off) but that i think ended up saturating the pipe and blocking the hydrogen pump, bricking the whole thing.

I see the error of my ways, i think, and i have a new map started on the lessens of the old. This map has a nat gas vent / cold slush / salt water vent all within 40 tiles or so of each other, all 50ish tiles off the printer. I am going slower getting stable and working on one project at a time before i tackle them.

food is good, starting a rock crusher to get me my initial smart batteries and incubators. Then onto a SPOM and feeding its output back into the base, and eventually my exo suit bay which i will use to tackle the vents

So question on that handy pipe full of oxygen. I have it piped in, and i understand the priority of bridges vs pipes coming off the input side, but how does that work with may outputs ?

For example, i had the last pipe feeding my exosuit bay priority, then i branched to a vent at the bottom of the base. I wanted to add one near the top, but the bridge never sent the oxy to the top vent because the lower vent was draining the pipe. i guess i need to do a simple split there ?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

endlessmonotony posted:

You could just have checked before posting this.

Rime's definitely got sleet wheat in most maps.

welp, i'm 2/2 now with no wheat lmao

i figured there just isn't any

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Running into some weird bugs in my latest game. I queued up a couple of steam turbines in anticipation of setting up a steam room to do some cooling, then looked somewhere else for a bit. When I came back, the turbines had been built and were in some weird state where they were stuttering on and off despite not having any steam beneath them, obviously not producing any power but creating a ton of heat. The whole room had gone up hundreds of degrees and it had started to melt my lead wires. I deconstructed and rebuilt the turbines and opened up the room to cool off and everything seemed to work fine afterwards. :confused:

Elsewhere I was generating power from a volcano with the typical diamond tile - airlock door - diamond tile sandwich to control the flow of heat, but it somehow got into a state where heat just would not transfer from the doors to the second layer of tiles. The tiles on the volcano side and the doors were both above 1000F, but the second tile layer was sitting at 250F despite being in direct contact with the closed doors. I watched it for most of a cycle with nothing changing, then I scrolled away to check on something else for a second and when I came back the situation seemed to have resolved itself, and heat was flowing normally through the tiles again.

Gotta watch out for those heat ghosts.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I found a water geyser on my latest map, and I'm hoping to use the water for a SPOM setup. The oxygen will come out above 70 degrees no matter what, correct? I'm using a setup that cools the O2 before it comes out so that's not such a big deal I just want to make sure I'm using it right.

I was also just going to use that geyser calculator and figure out how big of a tank I need and just build an insulated tank with a liquid pump at the bottom for it. That's reasonable, right?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

seaborgium posted:

I found a water geyser on my latest map, and I'm hoping to use the water for a SPOM setup. The oxygen will come out above 70 degrees no matter what, correct? I'm using a setup that cools the O2 before it comes out so that's not such a big deal I just want to make sure I'm using it right.

I was also just going to use that geyser calculator and figure out how big of a tank I need and just build an insulated tank with a liquid pump at the bottom for it. That's reasonable, right?

Yep I usually use geyser oxygen setups for my atmo docks since it doesn't matter the temp in those.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The minimum temp is 70 degrees, if you pipe in hotter water it'll go out hotter than that.

FWIW I'm pumping 95 degree water into my gold amalgam built SPOM directly from the geyser and it works completely OK, but I'm one of those weirdo "central heating" people who pipes 20 degree water through all my tiles so I don't ever have to care about temperatures :v:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Truga posted:

The minimum temp is 70 degrees, if you pipe in hotter water it'll go out hotter than that.

FWIW I'm pumping 95 degree water into my gold amalgam built SPOM directly from the geyser and it works completely OK, but I'm one of those weirdo "central heating" people who pipes 20 degree water through all my tiles so I don't ever have to care about temperatures :v:

I was looking to do a setup like that, I just have to workout how to clear out all the space for it.

I have noticed there's two kinds of SPOM, though. The one's where you cool it before the oxygen comes out, and the ones with hot oxygen and I'm trying to decide which one to stick with as I don't want hot oxygen in my base.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Mazz inspired me to make a hydrogen-filled wheezewort chamber that the oxygen and hydrogen both pass through. You can build the system for filling it with hydrogen inline such that, once its dense with hydrogen, the vent is naturally blocked and the hydrogen continues on to your generators uninterrupted. You just gotta make sure that dupes can service the wheezeworts from underneath it without breaching the hydrogen chamber. (Wheezeworts are extremely effective in a room dense with hydrogen.)

One aquatuner handles almost all of my cooling but....having the oxygen subsystem operate independent of that means I'm free to experiment and modify it without a cascading system failure that leads to my oxygen production shutting off. The cooling system I have is one of the most complex parts of my base and I certainly messed it up a few times, and it's nice that failures lead to things like "the coolant gets too hot to refine more metal" and "base temperature broaches the limits of my food production, leading me to tap into my extensive food stores" instead of "my atmo suits don't get oxygen and no one can leave their bedroom".

I still want to see a 0-filter setup for 6 pumps and 3 electrolyzers - mine uses 7 pumps and, while it's not a real concern, my efficiency brain dreams of improvement.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Mazz inspired me to make a hydrogen-filled wheezewort chamber that the oxygen and hydrogen both pass through. You can build the system for filling it with hydrogen inline such that, once its dense with hydrogen, the vent is naturally blocked and the hydrogen continues on to your generators uninterrupted. You just gotta make sure that dupes can service the wheezeworts from underneath it without breaching the hydrogen chamber. (Wheezeworts are extremely effective in a room dense with hydrogen.)

One aquatuner handles almost all of my cooling but....having the oxygen subsystem operate independent of that means I'm free to experiment and modify it without a cascading system failure that leads to my oxygen production shutting off. The cooling system I have is one of the most complex parts of my base and I certainly messed it up a few times, and it's nice that failures lead to things like "the coolant gets too hot to refine more metal" and "base temperature broaches the limits of my food production, leading me to tap into my extensive food stores" instead of "my atmo suits don't get oxygen and no one can leave their bedroom".

I still want to see a 0-filter setup for 6 pumps and 3 electrolyzers - mine uses 7 pumps and, while it's not a real concern, my efficiency brain dreams of improvement.

You can use gravity for separation but it requires multiple hydrogen pumps. You could probably condense down to 2 or 1 pump with tile geometry but it’ll likely end up pyramid shaped over rectangular. YMMV.

You’ve likely seen this before but middle left of that photo is my SPOMs which directly feed the 24 suits beneath them with enough excess to oxygenate the rest of my base. There’s no filter on either the O2 or Hydrogen outputs required, the 1 tile gap above the metal door means hydrogen permanently occupies that space; oxygen cannot displace hydrogen above it in so tight an area.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 3, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Piped Output

insta
Jan 28, 2009

seaborgium posted:

I was looking to do a setup like that, I just have to workout how to clear out all the space for it.

I have noticed there's two kinds of SPOM, though. The one's where you cool it before the oxygen comes out, and the ones with hot oxygen and I'm trying to decide which one to stick with as I don't want hot oxygen in my base.

Definitely run cooling fluid through the base's tiles. I tend to prefer brine, as by the time I get around to it I have a few tons from the pod, and the stark color difference makes it easier to see when in my (always excessively complicated) plumbing overlays. It's a lot more flexible (doesn't matter how you cool the coolant) and there's a lot higher heat capacity in even the most terrible of liquids like petroleum vs. oxygen.

I do wish there was a better early/mid cooler. It's either the ice maker, which may or may not be worth it, or too many other things that don't feel worth it anymore (AETN, wheezeworts, endlessly mining out ice). I miss things like the sieve heat deletion, that was perfect :(

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mazz posted:

You can use gravity for separation but it requires multiple hydrogen pumps. You could probably condense down to 2 or 1 pump with tile geometry but it’ll likely end up pyramid shaped over rectangular. YMMV.

You’ve likely seen this before but middle left of that photo is my SPOMs which directly feed the 24 suits beneath them with enough excess to oxygenate the rest of my base. There’s no filter on either the O2 or Hydrogen outputs required, the 1 tile gap above the metal door means hydrogen permanently occupies that space; oxygen cannot displace hydrogen above it in so tight an area.
Yeah this is what I modeled mine after - it's somewhat simple to adapt your setup to get two electrolyzers going full-bore with 4 oxygen pumps and only 1 hydrogen pump, using only gravity separation, but the third one is tricky. Obviously isolating each system like you have has some perks as well, I just wish I didn't have to use two pumps to handle ~333g/s of hydrogen.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What’s wrong with the AETN? Easy to use, no power required, just hydrogen you already have. Seems good to me.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

nrook posted:

What’s wrong with the AETN? Easy to use, no power required, just hydrogen you already have. Seems good to me.

They're "only" worth 80kDTU, it will keep up with a half-Rodriguez electrolyzer setup give or take. It can be used to do some mid-game sourgas condensing. It's a decent supplementary cooler, but it's really not all that powerful.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

nrook posted:

I have mine in a 20Kg/tile hydrogen box and it will turn 60ºC oxygen into 2ºC oxygen very quickly, but the second I pass any liquid through the radiator I built in parallel it's completely overwhelmed (think -15ºC to 10ºC in a cycle or two). They're fine for cooling gas but inadequate for liquids. That doesn't matter so much once you get steel and plastic since you can make as many aquaturbines as you have power to support and just one can probably cool an entire base.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

it doesn't take a lot of space tbh, and it's only for your base since outside that you'll have atmosuits on anyway.

what you do is, have your central water reservoir have a bunch of tempshift plates, put your pump and liquid vent in it as you want, then fill the rest of it with a snaking radiant pipe and a liquid tank.

the tank has 2 purposes: first, to normalize the water temp (any water flowing into the tank will immediately average with the contents) so you don't get stray cold/hot packets that could boil/freeze. second, so you don't need to have a pump for your loop, since a tank has both an input and output it sustains the loop by itself, you just have to fill all the pipes.

this is what one of mine looks like:

it's a bit odd, i dump a ton of heat into repeatedly from a smelter so it stays warm because i made a superrime world and everything outside insulation is cold as hell and freezes instantly. getting warmer now tho :v:

basically, have normal liquid piping everywhere, if there's very hot/cold spots spend extra and make it radiant, it'll all equalize in a few days.

to regulate the loop temperature, dump heat/cold into your water reservoir until it's the correct temperature, and the loop will follow. this is done super easily with either a smelter or an aquatuner/turbine combo and a temp sensor to shut it off, then let the loop take care of everything else forever. a single smelter/tuner will easily moderate a very large base. upside to this is, dupes don't complain about toasty/chilly surroundings if you don't keep dupes in atmosuits in your main base. downside is, probably lower fps

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So on my bad lands map, I found a dense block of 2 cool steam vents and a salt water geyser essentially on top of each other. I'm thinking I might convert all three into hydrogen generators and run a hydrogen power block combined with my hydrogen vent. I know hydrogen is valuable for space, but I have so much water right now and I need to expand my power block badly, since oil on the map is hard to come by (exactly 1 oil well). I wonder if it'll end up being more trouble than it's worth, vs just building a petrol boiler.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Anyone see any problems with this setup?

Originally I had the outer wall of that oil drain as airflow tiles, but the air around the fissure went from 2ºC to 40ºC almost immediately when I opened it. Some air will still equalize through that closed pneumatic door but I'll probably rip it out for a tile if things outside the box get too hot. The oil sitting in there is 12ºC from the initial cold air contact but it outputs in the low 300's.

There's about 3.6t of water in that steam chamber. I realize that's far too much water to generate power for a long time, but I figure with no nearby hydrogen to power the AETN sitting just to the right of the frame I should play it safe and just cool the oil before I worry about recovering any power. The battery below is supplied by a natural gas vent / generator setup (also housing my oil refinery) that feeds off a below-average well, and there are treadmills at both ends for emergency start-up in the event their adjacent batteries die while the generator is empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What is the best way to get pig amounts of water out of my way early on? Hand pumping seems insanely slow. Do I just work around it until pumping?